Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:40 AM

Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! (478 Views)

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? / Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by deltateam: 3:01pm On May 21, 2019
Its worrisome and disgraceful that teachers in Nigeria are underpaid and in some cases some of them have lost a sense of value in themselves.

I was checking up on what USA pay elementary teachers and I noticed that they are paid according to location.
Nevertheless the lowest amount is $2600 for 21 hours of work weekly which is roughly around #930 000.

Compare this to the situation where elementary teachers work for 40 hours at least every week and they will be too lucky to receive #40 000.
In fact there are schools that pay #20 000 and the proprietor feels he's paying them enough.

In these schools they are over used, you will notice the sign of stress, fatigue and their clothes are just bend down select.

Its a disgrace!
Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by ogashman(m): 3:29pm On May 21, 2019
It's a disgrace my brother. I just resigned from one of such schools last week. Reason being that they refused to pay full salary for April which was holidays.
Saying that there is no money for such.

What irked me was that they forgot that we are full time staff and not part time workers. so we re entitled to every month's salary and in full.

I had to resign cos i can't continue being short changed .i can't continued being disrespected and disregarded.

If not for the employment situation of this country i wouldn't have found myself in such an organization.

I hope to get another job soon.

1 Like

Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by lilmax(m): 3:37pm On May 21, 2019
you're on point, but comparing it to US is off point

its like comparing those who work in Exxon,total to Nigeria's DPR and the rest, we all know the difference, naija no reach for salary matter grin

teachers should be paid at least 130k for starters with good qualifications though not the crappy 10k I heard from someone recently

1 Like

Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by deltateam: 3:44pm On May 21, 2019
lilmax:
you're on point, but comparing it to US is off point

its like comparing those who work in Exxon,total to Nigeria's DPR and the rest, we all know the difference, naija no reach for salary matter grin

teachers should be paid at least 130k for starters with good qualifications though not the crappy 10k I heard from someone recently

I was merely being modest but #10 000? The owner should be arrested for wickedness.

1 Like

Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by xpresseeve: 3:48pm On May 21, 2019
ogashman:
It's a disgrace my brother. I just resigned from one of such schools last week. Reason being that they refused to pay full salary for April which was holidays.

What irked me was that they forgot that we are full time staff and not part time workers. so we re entitled to every month's salary and in full.

I had to resign cos i can't continue being short changed .i can't continued being disrespected and disregarded.

If not for the employment situation of this country i wouldn't have found myself in such an organization.

I am just wondering if your post is as objective as it should be.
Is there no possibility that this particular school can actually not afford to pay salaries during the holidays.

I cannot hold brief for the school in question but do understand that a private school like any other investment has a gestation period and in the majority of cases these schools kick off with a shoestring budget and adopt all sorts measures to survive the early and very demanding years until they can stabilize.

When posting on this kind of subject kindly fill the gaps by providing reasons why you think the school is shortchanging you for instance number of students, school fees figures, default level in school fees payments, the overall wagebill etc.

Maybe this will enable your readers understand the scenario more dispassionately.

1 Like

Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by deltateam: 3:48pm On May 21, 2019
ogashman:

I think law makers salary should be slashed by 50% and the surplus used to augment teachers salary.

Besides how much were you being paid?
Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by yazga: 3:49pm On May 21, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by Olawrites: 3:55pm On May 21, 2019
Don't blame these schools too. I taught in 3 differents schools before I retired to float my brand. You see these schools contend with so many things that we're not aware of. For instance, do you know how much it cost to set up a school?

Let be fair.. I don't own any school but let pity these schools too. They are in business to make profit also
Re: Teaching In Nigeria: Modern Day Slavery! by deltateam: 4:03pm On May 21, 2019
Olawrites:
Don't blame these schools too. I taught in 3 differents schools before I retired to float my brand. You see these schools contend with so many things that we're not aware of. For instance, do you know how much it cost to set up a school?

Let be fair.. I don't own any school but let pity these schools too. They are in business to make profit also

Nonsense.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pharma Ethics Ltd Interview / Urgent Job Vacancy / Customer Service Representative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.