Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (973785 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 12:44am On Oct 21, 2013
smartchoice: @ Au Hanson longtime...given your assertions about w202 AC system I will like to know the effect of removing a pot out of the two gas pots in the AC system?

Thanks Bro, i just had a new baby then, and i have been working hard as a nurse; nanny; cook; father; an husband, not an easy task doubling this way-Though its been a wonderful and knowledgeable experience, thank God i learn this one perfectly well too. I can now coach others as well.

Digressing to the point on focus, I am not sure that i understand this question? Can you expatiate further?

viazi: @ AU HANSOB thanks

You are welcome brother
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Guddy(m): 7:02am On Oct 21, 2013
@All am planning to get my first MB car, a 1999/2000 c class and I was discussing with a friend about it. He said something about the car always having brainbox/electrical issues that I should think twice. Please what can you guys say about this?

Also what's the difference between the c classes 180, 200, 220, 280 and want are the likely challenges one will probably experience with the c class?

Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 8:35am On Oct 21, 2013
Guddy: @All am planning to get my first MB car, a 1999/2000 c class and I was discussing with a friend about it. He said something about the car always having brainbox/electrical issues that I should think twice. Please what can you guys say about this?

Also what's the difference between the c classes 180, 200, 220, 280 and want are the likely challenges one will probably experience with the c class?

Thanks
Welcome on board in advance... And for the brain box issue no mind that guy. Is like telling u that only benz car consume fuel. Every car can have issue it all depends on how u manage ur car and care for it. I've open my brain box 'ECU' several times by myself and replaced a chip in it.
If u buy late models 99/00 of the car there's hardly going to be any electrical issue and please when u go to car wash avoid those ignorant ppl splashing water at every compartment of ur car.

If u want economy a 4cyl C180 will do and if u want performance a 4cyl C230 kompressor or 6cyl C280 will do. All depend on ur pocket sha, once again welcome in advance.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:16am On Oct 21, 2013
Rly wld luv this on my W202.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Austyn44(m): 10:25am On Oct 21, 2013
@ Au Hanson. Congrats on ur the arrival of ur new baby.

Am still undecided as to which one is better btw a MB c class 180 1999 model and 2000/2001 model. Pls any info ll be appreciated.Tnx
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Guddy(m): 11:11am On Oct 21, 2013
Gee2728:
Welcome on board in advance... And for the brain box issue no mind that guy. Is like telling u that only benz car consume fuel. Every car can have issue it all depends on how u manage ur car and care for it. I've open my brain box 'ECU' several times by myself and replaced a chip in it.
If u buy late models 99/00 of the car there's hardly going to be any electrical issue and please when u go to car wash avoid those ignorant ppl splashing water at every compartment of ur car.

If u want economy a 4cyl C180 will do and if u want performance a 4cyl C230 kompressor or 6cyl C280 will do. All depend on ur pocket sha, once again welcome in advance.

Thanks oga Gee. I'll go for the C180 since it's going to be my first personal car. Let me have my first MB experience with it. But another thing is that I will be traveling with the vehicle from Sagamu where I work to Edo state at least twice monthly, will the 180 serve this purpose? My dad is also MB fan and has asked me to go for it that I will not regret it. I will continue to follow this thread.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 2:02pm On Oct 21, 2013
Guddy:

Thanks oga Gee. I'll go for the C180 since it's going to be my first personal car. Let me have my first MB experience with it. But another thing is that I will be traveling with the vehicle from Sagamu where I work to Edo state at least twice monthly, will the 180 serve this purpose? My dad is also MB fan and has asked me to go for it that I will not regret it. I will continue to follow this thread.
Trust us here, that C180 is more than enuf. U will not regret it at all for the fact that its ur 1st time u'll be loving it for a long time. Please make sure u buy a sound one with no check engine lights on but if u most buy with the lights on pls get a discount cos it will eventually cost more to fix.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Guddy(m): 3:24pm On Oct 21, 2013
^^Ok thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2013
Good counsel!

Gee2728:
Trust us here, that C180 is more than enuf. U will not regret it at all for the fact that its ur 1st time u'll be loving it for a long time. Please make sure u buy a sound one with no check engine lights on but if u most buy with the lights on pls get a discount cos it will eventually cost more to fix.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2013
Congrats man!
To the ? again...the ac system has two ports in the engine bay area....or maybe one can't remember but what is the effect of removing it?

au.hanson:

Thanks Bro, i just had a new baby then, and i have been working hard as a nurse; nanny; cook; father; an husband, not an easy task doubling this way-Though its been a wonderful and knowledgeable experience, thank God i learn this one perfectly well too. I can now coach others as well.

Digressing to the point on focus, I am not sure that i understand this question? Can you expatiate further?

You are welcome brother
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:33pm On Oct 21, 2013
Austyn44: @ Au Hanson. Congrats on ur the arrival of ur new baby.

Am still undecided as to which one is better btw a MB c class 180 1999 model and 2000/2001 model. Pls any info ll be appreciated.Tnx

Thanks man.

The w202 c class model started in 1994- 2000 with the facelifted models from 1997-2000. so there's isn't a significance difference between 1999 and 2000 model.

while the w203 started from 2001- 2007; the w204 from 2008 and till date..your 1999 or 2000 model is probably one of the most reliable MB ever produced better than her earlier predecessor w202 of same model because the wire harness issues, the bad actuator(were actually recalled), etc These issues were resolved in this model. Infact some of the engine components that were shared with the w201 like the power steering pump, ABS system, the clutch module mechanisms and so on and so forth were all completely revised for good and a better built MB. Infact even the nuzzle module too were completely modified, though they can all fit into each other, alongside the pumpers and side skirting or running board giving it a more sportier look and responsive than her predecessor. My early model c180 esprit carries the facelifted body of the late w202 except the front bumper which i change but couldnt find same to replace..and i love it so much. infact i changed the nuzzle system, the wire harness, the clutch mechanism, plugs wire too to that of the facelifted model. NB,The w202 on her own is far more efficient than the w201

The w203 on the other hand, have more sportier and sharper chassis,even sportier than the BMW 3 series, and are more responsive and fuel efficient than the w202 of same category number( i.e w203 c180 to w202 c180 and so on) with more electronics and an expensive aura but not as reliable as the w202. Its more up in maintenance than the w202. You can drive the w202 for a whole year without fixing anything if you have kept it in order but not so with the sleeky sportier fuel efficient performer w203. Also, the engine of this car w202 cost just 60k naira,far more cheaper than that of the w203 and u would never have any reason for a replacement cos it can last almost for ever so that dosent even cross my mind.

So now the choice is yours as to what you are really looking out for ..As for me i have one of the most efficient w202,the c180 and i enjoy it , i love it but at the same time i'm attracted to the w203 late models[i][/i] , i always have ecstasy each time a clean one drives pass me-i'll still go for the c180k or c200k of the w203. After all, with my w202 c180, i have done a top speed of almost 200km/h (my bigger tires of 215/65/15 aided me to achieve this fits else the top speed of this car is 193km/h but the speedo carries 240km/h) how much more the w203 6 speed manual transmission of a top speed of about 223km/h and 234km/h respectively for the c180k and c200k, though the speedo carries 260km/h in both cases.
see pics of my w202 facelifted body wt non facelifted bumper, also the w203 late model

For speed enthusiast, go for the w203 c350 and you'll never regret it , cos you could achieve 0-60 mph in just 6.4 seconds (as against 9.7 sec for the w203 c180) wt 7 speed auto and 6 speed manual tranny, with a very fair mpg of about 21 cty and 40 h/w(as against 25cty 48 h/w for the c180) for this 6 cylinder ride with a top speed of 250km/h, she beats a lot of the so call 8 cylinder rides in other automobile, not even the BMW 3series of her category can stand it. If my pockets swells , i'll pick this too for journey sake and oppression on the h/w

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2013
w203

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2013
my w202 c180

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 12:04am On Oct 22, 2013
smartchoice: Congrats man!
To the ? again...the ac system has two ports in the engine bay area....or maybe one can't remember but what is the effect of removing it?

thanks man

Ok! when u said ac system , it becomes an entity comprising of the compressor, condenser, hoses, fan, evaporator etc, then i get lost. Are u referring to the compressor?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Austyn44(m): 12:51am On Oct 22, 2013
@ AU.Hanson. Tnx a lot man. Wow! Ur analysis has put all my confusion to rest. Am goin for the W202 C180 99/2000 model. Tnx once again, am really grateful.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
a potlike structure on the hoses/pipe

au.hanson:

thanks man

Ok! when u said ac system , it becomes an entity comprising of the compressor, condenser, hoses, fan, evaporator etc, then i get lost. Are u referring to the compressor?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 3:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
Austyn44: @ AU.Hanson. Tnx a lot man. Wow! Ur analysis has put all my confusion to rest. Am goin for the W202 C180 99/2000 model. Tnx once again, am really grateful.

You're welcome. I bet you, you'll enjoy the ride so much. it will save you a lot of money too as well far more than her jap counterparts if you are living in Nigeria with our bad state of roads-Now this is a secret.

N/B: One more thing yet, just get a scanner alongside with it, even if its a cheap ODBII scanner(if MB own becomes too expensive, its just about 35k). Reason? A socket or fuse may just dislodge or suffer partial contact due to our bad state of roads, and the mechanic may tell you its an injection problem, and that may make you start spending unnecessary money on injection systems when it wouldnt still work out, they may start tampering with things and wire; hence causing you serious nightmare in a problem free ride; eventually turning it a problematic car for you. Take wisdom here and you'll be surprise that you could drive a whole year without maintenance issue apart from regular yearly oil change/servicing if using the recommended synthetic oil. Good luck
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
smartchoice: a potlike structure on the hoses/pipe

Hello smartchoice, i'm sorry, its either i dont know or i dont still get it. When a port is mentioned , my mind run to something similar to the network port or usb port in a computer hardware system, and the logical ports too in programming syntax of open source codes of linux, unix servers/systems or even windows etc. i have been trying to imagine near similar thing here but wouldn't still get it. Though, i believe an elaborate explanation could solve this puzzle.

Did you mean the "connectors" on the hoses that terminate at the compressors; or the condensers; or the filters?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
I said pot not port...its on the high pressure metallic pipe in the Engine bay, close to the compressor

au.hanson:

Hello smartchoice, i'm sorry, its either i dont know or i dont still get it. When a port is mentioned , my mind run to something similar to the network port or usb port in a computer hardware system, and the logical ports too in programming syntax of open source codes of linux, unix servers/systems or even windows etc. i have been trying to imagine near similar thing here but wouldn't still get it. Though, i believe an elaborate explanation could solve this puzzle.

Did you mean the "connectors" on the hoses that terminate at the compressors; or the condensers; or the filters?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 12:06am On Oct 23, 2013
smartchoice: I said pot not port...its on the high pressure metallic pipe in the Engine bay, close to the compressor

Pls forgive my oversight, i dont think i know this components. Someone else might know it.

Trace ,pls can you help out?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 5:59am On Oct 23, 2013
House pls advice, apart from looks is there any advantage of upgrading from a W202 C230K to a W203 C230K. Pls dnt mind the fuel consumption cos am very ok with the gas mileage of the W202. Tnx.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:04am On Oct 23, 2013
when are you planning to sell ur w202 kompressor?....am waiting w203 ko w124 ni angry

Gee2728: House pls advice, apart from looks is there any advantage of upgrading from a W202 C230K to a W203 C230K. Pls dnt mind the fuel consumption cos am very ok with the gas mileage of the W202. Tnx.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 6:43am On Oct 23, 2013
smartchoice: when are you planning to sell ur w202 kompressor?....am waiting w203 ko w124 ni angry

Lol. Pls, I have interest too. Na God I take beg you o.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:09am On Oct 23, 2013
smartchoice: when are you planning to sell ur w202 kompressor?....am waiting w203 ko w124 ni angry

LMAO, oga smart u see my for ur dream. I dnt still get ur point. Abeg help us spell am out.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:19am On Oct 23, 2013
au.hanson:

Thanks man.

The w202 c class model started in 1994- 2000 with the facelifted models from 1997-2000. so there's isn't a significance difference between 1999 and 2000 model.

while the w203 started from 2001- 2007; the w204 from 2008 and till date..your 1999 or 2000 model is probably one of the most reliable MB ever produced better than her earlier predecessor w202 of same model because the wire harness issues, the bad actuator(were actually recalled), etc These issues were resolved in this model. Infact some of the engine components that were shared with the w201 like the power steering pump, ABS system, the clutch module mechanisms and so on and so forth were all completely revised for good and a better built MB. Infact even the nuzzle module too were completely modified, though they can all fit into each other, alongside the pumpers and side skirting or running board giving it a more sportier look and responsive than her predecessor. My early model c180 esprit carries the facelifted body of the late w202 except the front bumper which i change but couldnt find same to replace..and i love it so much. infact i changed the nuzzle system, the wire harness, the clutch mechanism, plugs wire too to that of the facelifted model. NB,The w202 on her own is far more efficient than the w201

The w203 on the other hand, have more sportier and sharper chassis,even sportier than the BMW 3 series, and are more responsive and fuel efficient than the w202 of same category number( i.e w203 c180 to w202 c180 and so on) with more electronics and an expensive aura but not as reliable as the w202. Its more up in maintenance than the w202. You can drive the w202 for a whole year without fixing anything if you have kept it in order but not so with the sleeky sportier fuel efficient performer w203. Also, the engine of this car w202 cost just 60k naira,far more cheaper than that of the w203 and u would never have any reason for a replacement cos it can last almost for ever so that dosent even cross my mind.

So now the choice is yours as to what you are really looking out for ..As for me i have one of the most efficient w202,the c180 and i enjoy it , i love it but at the same time i'm attracted to the w203 late models[i][/i] , i always have ecstasy each time a clean one drives pass me-i'll still go for the c180k or c200k of the w203. After all, with my w202 c180, i have done a top speed of almost 200km/h (my bigger tires of 215/65/15 aided me to achieve this fits else the top speed of this car is 193km/h but the speedo carries 240km/h) how much more the w203 6 speed manual transmission of a top speed of about 223km/h and 234km/h respectively for the c180k and c200k, though the speedo carries 260km/h in both cases.
see pics of my w202 facelifted body wt non facelifted bumper, also the w203 late model

For speed enthusiast, go for the w203 c350 and you'll never regret it , cos you could achieve 0-60 mph in just 6.4 seconds (as against 9.7 sec for the w203 c180) wt 7 speed auto and 6 speed manual tranny, with a very fair mpg of about 21 cty and 40 h/w(as against 25cty 48 h/w for the c180) for this 6 cylinder ride with a top speed of 250km/h, she beats a lot of the so call 8 cylinder rides in other automobile, not even the BMW 3series of her category can stand it. If my pockets swells , i'll pick this too for journey sake and oppression on the h/w
Bros hmmm na wa ooh. Those BMW pple dnt tell us the truth, am not sure that C350 will out gun a 335i. Those beemers are very understated that's y a F10 M5 will bash an E63 AMG series 2, jaguar XFR, porches panamera S in a straight drag race to 150mph. Thesame reason a 760LI will punish a S63 AMG series 2 both on a track and drag race. Thesame reason a dodge VIPER SRT (V10) will strugle to beat a mere bmw Z4m(V6) around a track. So those beemers are sleeping rockets not to be trusted.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
Gee2728:
Bros hmmm na wa ooh. Those BMW pple dnt tell us the truth, am not sure that C350 will out gun a 335i. Those beemers are very understated that's y a F10 M5 will bash an E63 AMG series 2, jaguar XFR, porches panamera S in a straight drag race to 150mph. Thesame reason a 760LI will punish a S63 AMG series 2 both on a track and drag race. Thesame reason a dodge VIPER SRT (V10) will strugle to beat a mere bmw Z4m(V6) around a track. So those beemers are sleeping rockets not to be trusted.

Ok , i was comparing them within the same model year, the 335i you mentioned is an e39 model not e46 model that is commensurate to the w203 model. Definitely the w203 c350 would always beat the e46 330i of equivalent model. the c350 bluefficiency does 0-60 mph in 6.00 sec. with a 306 horsepower engine coupled with a Top Speed of 155 mph (250 km/h) with some level of luxury too, while the 330i does Top Speed of 155 mph (250 km/h) and Accelerate 0-60 mph in 6.50 sec. with a 231 horsepower engine

The e39 could be compared to the w204 but then the competition became too steep between this two German brothers after then, such that BMW as usual press their heart to be producing cars that would always outdo the MB of same model year performance wise.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 3:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Gee2728: House pls advice, apart from looks is there any advantage of upgrading from a W202 C230K to a W203 C230K. Pls dnt mind the fuel consumption cos am very ok with the gas mileage of the W202. Tnx.

Just a little up in performance and fuel efficiency with a sleek; smarter; sportier looks; luxuriously gadgeted expensive interior but with a little up too in maintenance with less reliability. A smaller engine displacement producing a greater performance. see comparison below. Note also that mpg is in uk mpg:

w202 Engine Specifications and Gearbox Displacement 2,295 cc as against w203 Engine Specifications and Gearbox
Displacement 1,796 cc
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder) as against same Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 280 Nm → 207 lb-ft (2,500 rpm) as against Torque 260 Nm → 192 lb-ft (3,500 rpm)
Power Output 193 bhp (5,300 rpm) as against Power Output 192 bhp (5,800 rpm)
Top Speed 143 mph (230 km/h) as against Top Speed 147 mph (236 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 8.40 sec. as against Acceleration 0-60 mph 8.20 sec.
Average Mileage 29 mpg as against Average Mileage 32 mpg
Highway Mileage 38 mpg as against Highway Mileage 44 mpg
City Mileage 20 mpg against City Mileage 22 mpg
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 8:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
au.hanson:

Just a little up in performance and fuel efficiency with a sleek; smarter; sportier looks; luxuriously gadgeted expensive interior but with a little up too in maintenance with less reliability. A smaller engine displacement producing a greater performance. see comparison below. Note also that mpg is in uk mpg:

w202 Engine Specifications and Gearbox Displacement 2,295 cc as against w203 Engine Specifications and Gearbox
Displacement 1,796 cc
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder) as against same Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 280 Nm → 207 lb-ft (2,500 rpm) as against Torque 260 Nm → 192 lb-ft (3,500 rpm)
Power Output 193 bhp (5,300 rpm) as against Power Output 192 bhp (5,800 rpm)
Top Speed 143 mph (230 km/h) as against Top Speed 147 mph (236 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 8.40 sec. as against Acceleration 0-60 mph 8.20 sec.
Average Mileage 29 mpg as against Average Mileage 32 mpg
Highway Mileage 38 mpg as against Highway Mileage 44 mpg
City Mileage 20 mpg against City Mileage 22 mpg

If that's all the W203 is offering then theirs no point.....its a rly let down.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
My brother if you have the cash,you can still go for it. It is never a let down because it's a modern design with new technology compared to the W202. I love 2008 series too but it doesn't look rugged enough for me.
Gee2728:

If that's all the W203 is offering then theirs no point.....its a rly let down.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
Eyop: My brother if you have the cash,you can still go for it. It is never a let down because it's a modern design with new technology compared to the W202. I love 2008 series too but it doesn't look rugged enough for me.

The w204(2008) has a great deal of improvement performance wise and in fuel efficiency and even in the expensive aura of the interior. It blends innovation in modern technology with a very sharp contrast with the w202.

If you drive the w204 on a full tank of fuel , for good efficiency, luxury and performance, you would never want to go back to w202 if not for the reliability sake. Infact the air of aura that visited you in her interior would make you fret over w202 each time you go in there. Besides, they are fewer on the roads cos many cant afford it, at such as you cruise along you are the young executive king of the road at that point, other vehicle will pave way for you for the respect you command even if you may not have a dine in your pocket, such prestige that is accorded this ride could be very satisfactory.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 9:49pm On Oct 23, 2013
LOL AU hanson. Well it is getting cheaper by the day. What can you say about the specs? Is the Elegance preferable than the Sports?
au.hanson:

The w204(2008) has a great deal of improvement performance wise and in fuel efficiency and even in the expensive aura of the interior. It blends innovation in modern technology with a very sharp contrast with the w202.

If you drive the w204 on a full tank of fuel , for good efficiency, luxury and performance, you would never want to go back to w202 if not for the reliability sake. Infact the air of aura that visited you in her interior would make you fret over w202 each time you go in there. Besides, they are fewer on the roads cos many cant afford it, at such as you cruise along you are the young executive king of the road at that point, other vehicle will pave way for you for the respect you command even if you may not have a dine in your pocket, such prestige that is accorded this ride could be very satisfactory.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
Eyop: LOL AU hanson. Well it is getting cheaper by the day. What can you say about the specs? Is the Elegance preferable than the Sports?

Just like i would always tell you that the esprit (Thats what i have in w202) is more sportier and preferable to me than any other spec, because of her shorter stiffer strut and precise steering , the sport in the w204 is more preferably to me as well because of her stiffer stronger suspension and driving dynamics. That star(Mercedez Ben logo) at the front grill is a plus for the sport model. see first diagram above.
The elegance is nice too but i'm not in for it. I always like my ride with an air of desirabe diffrence and distinction

check out the w202 esprit, facelifted model.

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.