Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,626 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? (19622 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by yemifez: 7:17pm On May 22, 2019
eni4real:
Your points are highly educative. I hope people learn from this... I think the trend is as old as Nigeria democracy... People get carried away by the course.

Physiology, Nursing, Medical Lab Sciences are wonderful courses too!!!
I prefer Nursing to Medicine tho..
PHYSIO WHAT? I will not advise my sworn enemy to study that course in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by tetralogyfallot(m): 7:20pm On May 22, 2019
3pleo:
U see 300k you r not happy.
Just got back from an interview that is offering me 40k as a lawyer here in Abuja, even with a very good grade in the uni and law sch. The previous one was offering 35k. My brother, it's the asinine country we find ourselves.
are u for real? cheesy
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by saniahmed813: 7:21pm On May 22, 2019
the problem is that most science student in nigeria if u ask them what is their course of study they will tell you medicine and some students the problem is from their parents that force their children to study the course they dont want to engage in the field of technology like computer science,engineering
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by InansBobo(m): 8:06pm On May 22, 2019
ThothHermes:
Which admission stress. No be to read four subjects score high for Jamb?

You should see how Korean and Chinese students prepare to get into higher institutions.

Lazy yoot.
i know of a guy who scored 313 in UTME, did Rems but ABU still denied him MedSurg and gave him physiology. (Although he accepted went for it and rewrote UTME scored 317 and den wasn't denied MBBS again, now he's in first yr
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by hausadreturn(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2019
holuwasheyiWGP:
When I was 7 years I wanted to become a footballer,I was in love with football and I was good at it, it's the only thing I wanted to become better at.I wanted to go pro,I was so sure though I was 7.When I was about to graduate primary school,I begged my dad to take me to wasimi football academy but he never listened,he belonged to the class of folks who still believe education is the best legacy.So I went to one secondary school,I still continued playing.Then when teachers asked the regular what do you want to become question, I cycled from petroleum engineering to pharmacy to psychology to computer science,then I realized one decision messed me up.I entered the university on my first trial thanks to God.Right now I'm about to enter 400L microbiology UI.. Microbiology wasn't on my list....What I'm trying to say is life's one fvcked up place,chase your dreams but sometimes you have to let go.....I've not let go of mine though
Gosh! This was so me to be honest. It was football or nothing else. It meant that it took me about 5 years after high school to get into Uni.
I'm out now and I think I'm past it.

My mind now is to become a coach/football manager.
The idea is to start from the NIS...where people are coached.
That's more like the only thing I think of.

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Kinjikitile(m): 8:29pm On May 22, 2019
ThothHermes:
Which admission stress. No be to read four subjects score high for Jamb?

You should see how Korean and Chinese students prepare to get into higher institutions.

Lazy yoot.
Yeah .. I have read an article about the Chinese and Korean high school exam .. damn ,, those children are real passing through hell just to gain admission.. no wonder they are Wiz
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Polchiz(m): 8:50pm On May 22, 2019
Saintkagawa:

Am a programmer and I didn't go to school, am considering getting a job in Lagos next year.

Talking about medicine in high demand forever? I don't think so, AI(artificial intelligence ) will replace most human jobs in the future.
REMEMBER
Wether you are black or white all that matters is your creativity.
Artificial intelligence what? In life science? Nobody will entrust human life with a robot. It will never happen.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by GramaCorrector: 9:08pm On May 22, 2019
Polchiz:

Artificial intelligence what? In life science? Nobody will entrust human life with a robot. It will never happen.
You can't say never when it comes to technology. It will definalety happen, all it need is time
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by ugosteine23: 9:09pm On May 22, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Not worth it. A friend of mine spent seven years to study Veterinary Medicine four years ago. Till today, no job. No be person wey don eat belleful go bring animals for treatment?
BITCH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Saintkagawa(m): 9:14pm On May 22, 2019
Polchiz:

grin read more about AI
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by joeeee240(m): 9:16pm On May 22, 2019
Tella360:

I swear most people jokes with computer science in school not knowing a lot of things is there. Do you imagine a Nigerian at the age of 19 making his first millions

How please?
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by trustworthy1(f): 9:52pm On May 22, 2019
MrToothBrush:
Go for pharmacy and you will never regret it
Pls enlighten me more on it
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by alfredo1(m): 10:20pm On May 22, 2019
medicine is worth the stress op. however, we can't all be doctors. Try something else after 2-3 unsuccessful attempt. Doctors are still very much valued up north. As medical student in almost all northern States, you start receiving monthly stipends from your state govt right from your fourth year in school. so house job placement and/or employment is never a problem.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by goodddnews(m): 10:40pm On May 22, 2019
dunsin125:
Sorry bro, I pray you find one soonest. Our leaders ain't taking the problems in this country serious because they are still making their money but by the time they realise, it will probably be too late

try Oyo state hospital , seems they urgently need internship Dr now.......
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by osazsky(m): 10:43pm On May 22, 2019
spiceadole:
I will use myself as an example.
I took the UME exam 4 times, spent 7 years in medical school.

Right now, I am a resident doctor in one of the federal teaching hospitals.

I will say the many years I spent to bag a first degree is worth it.
In Nigeria of today, one can't get decent jobs without "connection".

As a houseofficer(my first job after graduation), I earned close to 200K.

Next was NYSC, I earned from 2 sources.. A total of 120K

Now, my take home is roughly 300K.

And I am just a junior doctor.

In a country plagued by unemployment and corruption, I am an edge above others... I know.

How many young Nigerians are earning 300K?
Many of my colleagues in secondary school who graduated a long time ago are either jobless, working outside their course of study and earning very meagre income.

I studied medicine for the passion... Not for people to bow to me.. Guess what, many people still do.
They hear.. Medical doctor.. And they are like wow. Lol.

Being a doctor has put enough food on my table, given me shelter.. And yes.. That Toyota Corolla.
Let me start with that.
It will get better.
4 years as a medical doctor... Just 4 years.. It's being fantastic.

as an accountant and entrepreneur I earn more than that and I didn't get my job tru connection,no need to kill urself study anything then after sch ,,think

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by doyinbaby(f): 11:03pm On May 22, 2019
spiceadole:
I will use myself as an example.
I took the UME exam 4 times, spent 7 years in medical school.

Right now, I am a resident doctor in one of the federal teaching hospitals.

I will say the many years I spent to bag a first degree is worth it.
In Nigeria of today, one can't get decent jobs without "connection". don't mind people saying jargons......if you want to be a doctor be a doctor .....with God on your side you will succeed....... I hate hearing the nonsense of is medicine worth the stress....there is no profession without short comings...none...no profession can guarantee you only God.......so do want you love to do pursue your personal fulfillment....

As a houseofficer(my first job after graduation), I earned close to 200K.

Next was NYSC, I earned from 2 sources.. A total of 120K

Now, my take home is roughly 300K.

And I am just a junior doctor.

In a country plagued by unemployment and corruption, I am an edge above others... I know.

How many young Nigerians are earning 300K?
Many of my colleagues in secondary school who graduated a long time ago are either jobless, working outside their course of study and earning very meagre income.

I studied medicine for the passion... Not for people to bow to me.. Guess what, many people still do.
They hear.. Medical doctor.. And they are like wow. Lol.

Being a doctor has put enough food on my table, given me shelter.. And yes.. That Toyota Corolla.
Let me start with that.
It will get better.
4 years as a medical doctor... Just 4 years.. It's being fantastic.

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 22, 2019
Abdaz4u2c:

I totally disagree with you sir. It's one of the toughest to get admitted for even though it's a must for the applicant to have a first degree in one of the basic medical sciences. And surviving through the course of the training is more stressful.
I don't think your first degree must be in a basic medical science
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Benzy001: 12:34am On May 23, 2019
No it art, and vet doctors studies literature village boy ,
,, ,, ,
adeniyisamuel59:
Vetenary medine, na medicine
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Halisdavis: 4:10am On May 23, 2019
Getting admission is the least problem of a medical student, medicine is a profession that will stress out ones soul.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by showafrica(m): 4:56am On May 23, 2019
BravoDe:
I woke up at about 6am, said my prayers and exited the room only to find a flock of birds flying past the roof.
Amazingly, the hens and cocks were stretching their feathers and feeling awesome neither minding nor even noticing the height of their counterparts.

I logged on to facebook to see if she replied the chats I sent her last night but no, she didn’t. It’s obvious she is sad.

It’s her third year of applying for Medicine and Surgery and this time, she was offered provisional admission to study Food Science and Technology.

I could guess, she felt her dreams have been shattered again.
I care for her a lot but I just couldn’t find a means to pacify her so I kept my cool.

I’ve had the privilege of meeting prospective undergraduates on various occasions and their clamour for Medicine and Surgery is alarming. Sometimes it’s very difficult to ascertain what fuels their desire.

Why do you want to Study Medicine? Most of them don’t seem to have any answer.

They either grew up in an Igbo family where the parents so much believe that the way out of poverty and lack is for their ward to become a medical doctor or while in secondary school, they belonged to a class where 90% of the brilliant ones kept singing Medicine and because they didn’t want to feel less than equal, they joined the bandwagon.

Every year, thousands of students apply for Medicine, yet, very few get admitted.

11,130 candidates applied for Medicine and Surgery in UNN alone and not more than 200 will be admitted.
It’s is already clear that more than 10,000 will be denied admission.

Same with other 24 FULLY accredited Medical schools in Nigeria.
Only about 1.6% of people who apply for Medicine in Nigeria get admitted yearly.
And only 56% of the admitted students end up becoming doctors.

If you successfully scale through the 6years spent in school, getting a placement for housemanship within the stipulated 2years becomes another bridge to cross. If you eventually end up not getting a place, you will have to re-sit your final exams this time conducted by the Medical body not your school and you will have to pay plus the high failure rate involved.

Looking at the stress in the journey to becoming a doctor, one should be able to vow that these guys should be the most successful set of people in the society but unfortunately, the reality is different.

Failure in Marriage:

Whatever business, ministry or profession that takes a toll on your family life has made you a failure and that is the predicament of most Doctors. I read an article where an American Medical Body reacted to a medical divorce research by saying only 23% of Doctors have a failed marriage as against the 27% earlier proven, what difference does it make?
I don’t have a problem with the statistics because in Nigeria, you will rarely find any divorce case but I’ve been to Doctors’ houses and to be sincere, their wives suffer lack of attention and so do their kids. But the Nigerian culture has taught ladies to tolerate till Jesus comes. In the book ‘for men only’, 80% of the women interviewed said they would rather suffer financial insufficiency in their homes than lack of attention from their spouse.
He goes to work even on Sundays, he never thinks of taking his family on a vacation, he comes home by 9pm and is so exhausted to chat with his wife and as he lays to sleep, two hours later, the nurse is on the phone ‘Doctor there is an emergency’ and he rushes out by 11pm and that is the profession that thousands of deceived Nigerian students wants.

Financially:

Doctors are not poor but very few of them are rich. 300k per month, you have a wife and children, you have house rent to settle and have other family members who has a perception that you are rich so they make demands on you. I’ve never seen a Doctor riding a Range Rover, you only see them on Toyota Camry, Corolla, Honda and other 1-2million naira cars.

Business:

If they invest in other businesses, maybe things will be better. I was with a Doctor in the Medical Centre here and he began lamenting that even if he wants to do anything like business, he won’t have time for it and people will end up taking advantage of him. More so, if at the workplace, they realize that you have investments, you will be denied certain financial privileges.

I am not despising the medical profession, as I can’t deny the fact that the society can’t survive without them. I am only worried that an individual spends 7years re-sitting Jamb simply because he wants to study Medicine.

Come to a gathering and introduce yourself as a medical doctor, nobody will bow to you; outside the school setting what speaks is your success in life not your A in Pathology.

How many less privileged kids have you given a reason to smile by sending them to school? How many homes have your existence deleted poverty from their lineage? Therein lays fulfillment.

We need doctors; don’t get me wrong but our quest for the medical profession is not worth it. It has crippled rich minds, buried companies that would have been providing 10,000 jobs today and hidden business potentials and leadership models in the chocking atmosphere of the hospital.
So guys, don’t feel bad if you not admitted to study Medicine, settle for anything. It’s your imagination in life that counts not your IQ.
Make the best out your life wherever you find yourself.

Back to the topic does medicine and surgery worth the admission stress?

Share ur view about that.

Mine: Nigeria students lack orientation.

Nonsense and ingredients... Medical doctors, that cannot treat Buhari, are those ones medical doctors?
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by 3pleo: 6:19am On May 23, 2019
tetralogyfallot:
are u for real? cheesy
100%. Law is just a glorified course

2 Likes

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by adeniyisamuel59(m): 1:59pm On May 23, 2019
Benzy001:
No it art, and vet doctors studies literature village boy ,
,, ,, ,
RIP English!
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by ashpanez: 10:12am On May 25, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Not worth it. A friend of mine spent seven years to study Veterinary Medicine four years ago. Till today, no job. No be person wey don eat belleful go bring animals for treatment?

Pls tell u friend to change his mind set. A friend of mine who studied animal science not vet medicine is comfortable. He consults for many farms and has his own farm. Ur friend do even more,any people are into livestock farming these days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A.b.u. Zaria 2011/2012 Admission Lists Out / Aaua's First Class Graduates Offered Automatic Employment / Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri Imo State Admission For 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.