Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? (19614 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by 3pleo: 4:12pm On May 22, 2019
U see 300k you r not happy.
Just got back from an interview that is offering me 40k as a lawyer here in Abuja, even with a very good grade in the uni and law sch. The previous one was offering 35k. My brother, it's the asinine country we find ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by eleojo23: 4:15pm On May 22, 2019
Suspect33:
such as?

IT guys are the next billionaires and it will stay like that for centuries.

You see those guys were dey work legitimately with laptop (programming, developer and all)? Most of them they make plenty money...especially when they are very good at what they do

2 Likes

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by eleojo23: 4:17pm On May 22, 2019
Tusinecakes:
I can't count the number of times Articles attacking medicine and surgery has graced nairaland's front page.

It seems Lalasticlala is a wounded medical student.The profession is the Tinubu of Nigerian professions on nairaland!

How is this an attack?

Calm down and see the sense in the article.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Suspect33(m): 4:23pm On May 22, 2019
eleojo23:

IT guys are the next billionaires and it will stay like that for centuries.

You see those guys were dey work legitimately with laptop (programming, developer and all)? Most of them they make plenty money...especially when they are very good at what they do
very correct, but it's best to learn it yourself than going to a Nigerian uni, na so so cramming you go dey cram, no practice

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by joeeee240(m): 4:34pm On May 22, 2019
jonesky080:
Not anymore. There are other courses which are considered better and also high paying in the labour market.

Please, courses like? I would love to know
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by joeeee240(m): 4:41pm On May 22, 2019
eni4real:
Your points are highly educative. I hope people learn from this... I think the trend is as old as Nigeria democracy... People get carried away by the course.

Physiology, Nursing, Medical Lab Sciences are wonderful courses too!!!
I prefer Nursing to Medicine tho..

Physiology? undecided please how?

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Starkid3010(m): 4:50pm On May 22, 2019
Saintkagawa:

Tech is the future. A lot of people study computer science in Nigeria yet they still think the course is not worth it, I don't blame them though, because my brother 200L studying computer don't even know anything about programming
grin grin who's talking about future now..... Guess the future will never come.... We're really talking about today

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by spiceadole: 5:03pm On May 22, 2019
I will use myself as an example.
I took the UME exam 4 times, spent 7 years in medical school.

Right now, I am a resident doctor in one of the federal teaching hospitals.

I will say the many years I spent to bag a first degree is worth it.
In Nigeria of today, one can't get decent jobs without "connection".

As a houseofficer(my first job after graduation), I earned close to 200K.

Next was NYSC, I earned from 2 sources.. A total of 120K

Now, my take home is roughly 300K.

And I am just a junior doctor.

In a country plagued by unemployment and corruption, I am an edge above others... I know.

How many young Nigerians are earning 300K?
Many of my colleagues in secondary school who graduated a long time ago are either jobless, working outside their course of study and earning very meagre income.

I studied medicine for the passion... Not for people to bow to me.. Guess what, many people still do.
They hear.. Medical doctor.. And they are like wow. Lol.

Being a doctor has put enough food on my table, given me shelter.. And yes.. That Toyota Corolla.
Let me start with that.
It will get better.
4 years as a medical doctor... Just 4 years.. It's being fantastic.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Jman06(m): 5:03pm On May 22, 2019
Please study whatever you want to study and be happy with it.

However, don't start envying others or working against their profession just because you couldn't study that course!

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Martinez39(m): 5:04pm On May 22, 2019
drkay:
Looking back to what I went through and what I’m doing with my license and skills now, I’ll say It’s worth the stress. It’s still one of the professions where children of nobody can still stand shoulder to shoulder with those of the elites.
You have points in ur write up though, I’ll still want to encourage whoever is interested in studying medicine to do so.
Forget the stress. Forget the miserable salaries being paid to us in Nigeria.
For the records, this happens mostly to doctors during a particular phase in their practice ( residency or juniors medical officer).
If you have any doctor struggling with life around you, advice him/her to tissue. It mayn’t be easy at first but it’s gonna worth the stress eventually. It’s a world of unlimited opportunities out there for us, you only need to explore.
Thanks for this write up.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by stallionsinn: 5:05pm On May 22, 2019
Saintkagawa:
I believe the reason why we gush over medical courses in Nigeria is because of information being passed to us. We are often told to go to school, get good grades and find a better-paying job. Someone who has no interest in medicine will go for it because of it a high paying career.

Here is the list of richest people
No medical doctor is among them

TOP RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

Jeff Bezos
Bill Gates,
Mark Zuckerberg,
Larry Ellison,
Larry Page,
Sergey Brin
Jack Ma
ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE PROGRAMMERS

Am not against you if you have an interest in medicine and surgery or other medical courses, am only referring to those who have no interest for it or are studying it because they want a high paycheck.
How many of them are Nigerians?
And on the average ,can you compare the level of job security enjoyed by medical doctors to programmers in this part of the world?
Bear in mind that programming can be learnt without formal training but you need to pass through med sch to qualify as a doctor.
So medicine will always be in high demand till things change.
To me,the stress is worth it.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by dunsin125: 5:06pm On May 22, 2019
Hardeyshinardt:

...the surest way of getting a job in Nigeria is if you study health related courses...the was then, when life is good...to even get a placement for housemanship/intership in Nigeria now is a very tough thing my brother, talkless of securing parmanent appointment.Is only God that can help us in this country with all the bad leaders that we have...I'm still looking for place of intership after graduate since december up till now nothing to show...some hospitals did not even conduct interview again,all they do is to give underground appointment to all the top profile children....

Make God sha help person in dis country wey we find ourselves.
Sorry bro, I pray you find one soonest. Our leaders ain't taking the problems in this country serious because they are still making their money but by the time they realise, it will probably be too late
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by stallionsinn: 5:07pm On May 22, 2019
spiceadole:

In a country plagued by unemployment and corruption, I am an edge above others... I know.

Many of my colleagues in secondary school who graduated a long time ago are either jobless, working outside their course of study and earning very meagre income.

I studied medicine for the passion... Not for people to bow to me.. Guess what, many people still do.

Being a doctor has put enough food on my table, given me shelter.. And yes.. That Toyota Corolla.
Let me start with that.
It will get better.

BOSS!

1 Like

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by harley88(m): 5:10pm On May 22, 2019
pearcy:
Please my people, help a starving brother. I have been pleading for help since 2 days now. I'm a student who returned to school last week because of the prospects of exams starting on Tuesday and also because I was opportuned to enter a free ride. my family isn't bouyant enough and my dad has severe high BP that's why I had to find my way so as not to make him to start thinking about where to get money to give me. I haven't eaten a decent food since I got back and am starving.

I am soliciting for help from well meaning people who will be touched enough to hear my plight and have mercy. I am not asking for much, no matter how little, it will go a long way. God bless you all

601 6251 952
Fidelity Bank.

someone shud Pls Sir help him.....
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Martinez39(m): 5:11pm On May 22, 2019
Tusinecakes:
I can't count the number of times Articles attacking medicine and surgery has graced nairaland's front page.

It seems Lalasticlala is a wounded medical student.The profession is the Tinubu of Nigerian professions on nairaland!

Try to act intelligently. Not every argument scrutinising Medicine and Surgery and doctors are fueled by hatred or jealousy. Op simply asked if it's worth the stress, nothing more. Stop reading meaning where there is no meaning.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by mkoabiola: 5:12pm On May 22, 2019
Is gud u av a Dr in d family....

With the level of corruption in this county now, if u are not connected ,u will find it very difficult to get job

U don't av to b rich lik dangote,maduka,emeka offor ,adenuga and d rest bf u can make it in life.

If I have my ways i would av been a medical Dr and leave job hunting for others.

It is getting worst by d day in this country
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by spiceadole: 5:14pm On May 22, 2019
stallionsinn:

BOSS!

More like "Boss..tress."

I am a female.
Thank you!
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Saintkagawa(m): 5:25pm On May 22, 2019
stallionsinn:

How many of them are Nigerians?
And on the average ,can you compare the level of job security enjoyed by medical doctors to programmers in this part of the world?
Bear in mind that programming can be learnt without formal training but you need to pass through med sch to qualify as a doctor.
So medicine will always be in high demand till things change.
To me, the stress is worth it.
Am a programmer and I didn't go to school, am considering getting a job in Lagos next year.

Talking about medicine in high demand forever? I don't think so, AI(artificial intelligence ) will replace most human jobs in the future.
REMEMBER
Wether you are black or white all that matters is your creativity.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Hardeyshinardt(m): 5:37pm On May 22, 2019
dunsin125:
Sorry bro, I pray you find one soonest. Our leaders ain't taking the problems in this country serious because they are still making their money but by the time they realise, it will probably be too late

Ameen....Thanks
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Presido95: 5:52pm On May 22, 2019
spiceadole:

Let me start with that.
It will get better.

Honestly, even though you might think you are being paid very well, don't forget the extra years it took you to study medicine. Another student with same potentials like yourself and even less effort would have already started earning big bucks in a multinational firm. For instance, it takes roughly 2 years to reach 300k if you work in a big consulting firm and you won't need to study as hard as doctors. So many young Doctors were the brightest minds in their school, but let the blind love for medicine cloud their judgement. Many of them should probably be better off by now.
Nigeria of today is not treating Doctors well enough and its really telling on the proffesion.
Using myself as an example, some of my doctor friends who entered uni with me in 2011 have not even served or gotten housemanship while I'm already about to get into my 3rd year in a big firm and earning close to the figure you mentioned. Come to think of it, the only reason I wasn't pressured into studying medicine was because for some reason, I coudnt pass Chemistry. In hindsight, I'm kind of grateful I didn't study medicine with the way the profession is being handled in Nigeria. My advise to them it to leave this country.
Let's not even talk about the stress they go through. Mind you, most of my mates in the proffesion are very smart guys and were model students back then.
Nigeria needs to start treating medical doctors with more respect, financially and otherwise, and its only the current doctors that can ensure this happens by not settling for anything less.

2 Likes

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by aadoiza: 5:55pm On May 22, 2019
grin
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by ItzEminence(m): 6:23pm On May 22, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Not worth it. A friend of mine spent seven years to study Veterinary Medicine four years ago. Till today, no job. No be person wey don eat belleful go bring animals for treatment?
yea, their sure deal is either they become Lecturers or work in a Research institute. My Uncle is one and He's a Lecturer
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by onyibor84: 6:30pm On May 22, 2019
Presido95:

Honestly, even though you might think you are being paid very well, don't forget the extra years it took you to study medicine. Another student with same potentials like yourself and even less effort would have already started earning big bucks in a multinational firm. For instance, it takes roughly 2 years to reach 300k if you work in a big consulting firm and you won't need to study as hard as doctors. So many young Doctors were the brightest minds in their school, but let the blind love for medicine cloud their judgement. Many of them should probably be better off by now.
Nigeria of today is not treating Doctors well enough and its really telling on the proffesion.
Using myself as an example, some of my doctor friends who entered uni with me in 2011 have not even served or gotten housemanship while I'm already about to get into my 3rd year in a big firm and earning close to the figure you mentioned. Come to think of it, the only reason I wasn't pressured into studying medicine was because for some reason, I coudnt pass Chemistry. In hindsight, I'm kind of grateful I didn't study medicine with the way the profession is being handled in Nigeria. My advise to them it to leave this country.
Let's not even talk about the stress they go through. Mind you, most of my mates in the proffesion are very smart guys and were model students back then.
Nigeria needs to start treating medical doctors with more respect, financially and otherwise, and its only the current doctors that can ensure this happens by not settling for anything less.

How many of your classmates that studied the same course with you are employed, talk more of earning as much as 300K let the guy you quoted tell you how many of his classmates that are earning close or more than that.

Despite the challenges, there is always a relief at the end.

4 Likes

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 22, 2019
MrToothBrush:
Go for pharmacy and you will never regret it
as men of honor, we join hands

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 22, 2019
Saintkagawa:

Tech is the future. A lot of people study computer science in Nigeria yet they still think the course is not worth it, I don't blame them though, because my brother 200L studying computer don't even know anything about programming
I swear most people jokes with computer science in school not knowing a lot of things is there. Do you imagine a Nigerian at the age of 19 making his first millions
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 22, 2019
spiceadole:

Let me start with that.
It will get better.

Bro dem plenty... That 300k you dey earn sef some is asking their company for a pay rise because the money is too small for their service
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 22, 2019
jonesky080:
Not anymore. There are other courses which are considered better and also high paying in the labour market.

Not everyone cares about how lucrative a course is, passion is key.
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by Saintkagawa(m): 7:06pm On May 22, 2019
Tella360:

I swear most people jokes with computer science in school not knowing a lot of things is there. Do you imagine a Nigerian at the age of 19 making his first millions
It possible to make millions. A lot of company in Nigeria are you looking for programmers, depending on your creativity your first salary might be 200k as a junior dev
Re: Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? by cheruv: 7:14pm On May 22, 2019
drkay:
Looking back to what I went through and what I’m doing with my license and skills now, I’ll say It’s worth the stress. It’s still one of the professions where children of nobody can still stand shoulder to shoulder with those of the elites.
You have points in ur write up though, I’ll still want to encourage whoever is interested in studying medicine to do so.
Forget the stress. Forget the miserable salaries being paid to us in Nigeria.
For the records, this happens mostly to doctors during a particular phase in their practice ( residency or juniors medical officer).
If you have any doctor struggling with life around you, advice him/her to tissue. It mayn’t be easy at first but it’s gonna worth the stress eventually. It’s a world of unlimited opportunities out there for us, you only need to explore.
That's a wisdom quote you've got there... Am even preparing myself to tissue sef, and with ngige's encouragement we'd do so successfully cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A.b.u. Zaria 2011/2012 Admission Lists Out / Aaua's First Class Graduates Offered Automatic Employment / Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri Imo State Admission For 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.