Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,662 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? (18165 Views)

Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / Can Black Magic(juju)be Sent To Someone Abroad / Juju/black Magic In Nigeria - Blood Money And Spiritual Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by VPersie: 1:18am On Sep 26, 2010
For some time now I have read several posts relating to how juju was almost used on a person either through food or other means. I was speaking to my mum a few weeks ago and she told me about how my grand-cousin came back from Germany and his wife got "agbo" (herbal drink) from the village and died with her 8-year old daughter. This made me very scared and unwilling to contemplate going back home. I cannot stand the thought that I will always have to be watching my back and hoping no one plans to hurt me. Has anyone else had similar experiences or heard about similar experiences? I believe in God, but some of these things happen to people that believe in God more than I do? How can I handle this fear? Or should I just rule out going back home forever?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by OmoAlata(f): 2:31pm On Sep 26, 2010
A guy I knew over here travels to Ghana often to visit the business he set up and his family.

He went out there a couple of months ago and was poisoned. He died sad (Young guy in his 40s). He was killed because they want to collect the business from him.

His was poison though and not juju so probably not the story you are after. Just pray and cover yourself. You'll be OK. I recently went to Naija with my husband and children. We survived grin
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by VPersie: 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2010
Good for you and your family. I hope I survive too.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by OmoAlata(f): 3:19pm On Sep 26, 2010
VPersie:

Good for you and your family. I hope I survive too.

Amen. Once you get this visit out of the way, you'll be yearning to go back again grin
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by 27(m): 12:51pm On Sep 27, 2010
Pretty much every juju story I've come across has been from a third party.
The person telling the story was not directly involved.
It's usually a case of "Someone I know, ".

And people exaggerate.

Why don't the people who are directly involved have anything to say?
Why can't this same juju be used to generate constant electricity?
Why can't it magically improve our economy?
Why can't it change our exchange rates?
Why can't we fix pot holes on the roads with juju?
Why can't we use juju to progress to the second round of the World Cup on African soil?

What do you think?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2010
Guys,

There is no such thing as JuJu. its folklore and superstions designed to control people by fear. Purely irrational.

Come on, 'I pick up a coin on the floor and can turn into a goat' was a story told to me once. as a child I was scared stiff, as an adult, I laugh my ass off!

2 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by keeptrying: 2:19am On Sep 28, 2010
@DonOvero
how old are you?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 9:57am On Sep 28, 2010

Another modified story Iwas told as a child was during christmas, dont eat food from strangers(a good rule in itself) but to further reinforce this, I was told I would trun into a chicken and be cooked for christmas day, Nice
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 28, 2010
Juju are used by evil ppl so dont expect then to use it to generate good electricity, exchange rate or what have you. If they do, they wont be promoted in their spiritual realms. I know what i'm saying, based on confession by them.

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 10:26am On Sep 28, 2010
HAHA,

Juju does not exist. I am not denying that there is evil in the world i am denying the ability of a man to turn inot a lamb, or nail clipping being used to turn your life to misery.

Up untill I did my degree in Psychology, I was told that sleep paralysis was someone using juju to fly through the night an press your chest.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by spikedcylinder: 11:14am On Sep 28, 2010
27:

And people exaggerate.

Why don't the people who are directly involved have anything to say?
Why can't this same juju be used to generate constant electricity?
Why can't it magically improve our economy?
Why can't it change our exchange rates?
Why can't we fix pot holes on the roads with juju?
Why can't we use juju to progress to the second round of the World Cup on African soil?

What do you think?

I think that I agree with you 100%.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by sweetbeans: 11:34am On Sep 28, 2010
THE BIBLE SAYS THAT WE BATTLE AGAINST PRINCIPALITIES AND POWERS. ANYONE WHO SAYS THERE IS GOD MUST ALSO ACCEPT AND RESOLVE IN THIS HEART THAT THERE IS SATAN.ALSO,IF U BELIEVE THERE IS GOOD, THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THERE IS EVIL, THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED SOMETHING PERSONALLY DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T EXIST.NIGERIA WILL NOT USE 'juju' TO WIN WORLD CUP OR GENERATE ELECTRICITY BECAUSE THE DEVILS MISSION IS TO STEAL, TO KILL AND DESTROY. NOTHING GOOD COMES FROM THE DEVIL.WHEN YOU ARE RESPONDING TO THINGS LIKE THIS, YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL, YOU MUST ACCEPT THAT THERE IS EVIL. EVEN THE WESTERNIZED PEOPLE DO VOODOO.IN THE BIBLE, THE JESUS CASTS OUT DEMONS, THE BIBLE ALSO SAYS THAT THERE IS WICKEDNESS IN HIGH PLACES.

I HAVE ONLY RESPONDED TO THIS THREAD FROM THE BIBLICAL POINT OF VIEW. AND I AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION. I WOULD APPRECIATE THAT I AM NOT INSULTED AS THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON NAIRALAND AND I SEE THE WAY PEOPLE RESPOND TO OTHER PEOPLE WITH HOSTILITY.

PLEASE RESPECT.

4 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by violent(m): 11:38am On Sep 28, 2010
Àwon omodé ò mo ògùn won pe ni èfó
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by IBEXY(m): 11:52am On Sep 28, 2010
I never saw anyone who had a first hand experience with "jazz". Its always "dem say". I however recognise the efficacy and possibility of being poisoned. They only need to slip some stuff into your drink or food and thats it. It can also happen via you stepping on certain items. Its got to be some form of contact either through ingesting stuff or body contact. Otherwise the fantasy of some forces engendered by "juju" is a figment of the imagination.

Over the years/ century, medicine men have delibrately built up the hype and fear for their dark art to make a profit. If juju was that effective, how come its only for evil. Is there no good natured herbalist out there?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by pingolo: 11:57am On Sep 28, 2010
Juju does exist, also known as "JAZZ". Pray you don't encounter it. Your faith might be able to counter it but just know that it exists. The good thing thing about it is that it fails and it is never reliable. People call it different names like Otumokpo, Jazz, ofor etc.

You need to be spiritually strong to be able to handle "JUJU" cos it is evil.

How do you explain a patient who is sick with no scientific prove, all tests show negative yet the patient shrinks like Kanda and dies.

Wake up!

JUJU dey exist, But power pass power.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by omobadan(m): 11:57am On Sep 28, 2010
Nigerians and their 'juju'! Somebody is always trying to kill them! Yeye people! For VPersie, if you're scared of getting cursed with juju, don't eat at home, eat at fast food joints. Don't frequent beer parlours close to your area and please avoid showing off. With all that in mind, you should come out unscathed.  cheesy
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Guyman02: 12:02pm On Sep 28, 2010
27:

I recall in my junior secondary school days when we participated in a youth football competition, realising that our next opponents were more skillful and better than us we decided to visit a juju man who gave us some concoction to drink before the match and asked us to bury a lizard head behind the goal post to prevent goals entering our net which we did. He also told us that anytime we kicked the ball at our opponents goalkeeper, instead of seeing one ball he will be seeing seven balls at the same time and that way we will be scoring freely.
The juju was effective because we lost the match by only 5 - 0 because our opponents lost many scoring chances, perhaps we would have been beaten 11 - 0 grin grin ;

6 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2010
Being poisoned is certainly a possibility. But 'JuJu' in the sense used here is a complete falsehood. To believe in good and evil does not conclude that one must believe in God and Devil.

To the poster who says how can I explain the case of a patient who having undergone every test, coming back negative but still being ill is evidence of juju is deluded.

So absent evidenciary proof juju is the explanation? This is one of the many reason Nigeria is so backward, this kind of thinking. The same stupid notion in Nigeria that calls children witches or practitioners of witch craft. Nigerians blames those in charge for the state of affairs, but they should look at themselves.

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by violent(m): 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2010
The fact that many on here haven't had a first hand experience with JUJU doesn't necessary negate its existence, many of you should take a trip down to Ijebu Ode on their annual Ojude Oba festival, you'd be eating back your words!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 12:16pm On Sep 28, 2010
LOL, Juju does not exist.

Why don't you share first hand experiences with us. No juju can hurt me because it does not exist. You think bury a lizard in the ground or rubbing a goat in honey is going to have some effect on anything?

Africans and their Voodoo! I guess it is easier to believe the lie!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by chitech(m): 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2010
how does it look like, cheesy cheesy cheesy may be it be for sale in the supermarket, grin grin grin grin,IN GOD I TRUST,instead of getting scared of the so called juju,u better fear GOD the creator,face reality rather than stories,myth  smiley smiley smileyblood of jesusssssssssssss grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin covers me
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 12:25pm On Sep 28, 2010
and here we go. on one end of the spectrum Juju and on the other end, someone is covering himself with the blood of Christ! LOL

Your religion has caused more pain, misfortune, bloodshed than all the so called juju in the world ever done put together!!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by geogentle: 12:28pm On Sep 28, 2010
DonOvero:

Guys,

There is no such thing as JuJu. its folklore and superstions designed to control people by fear. Purely irrational.

Come on, 'I pick up a coin on the floor and can turn into a goat' was a story told to me once. as a child I was scared stiff, as an adult, I laugh my backside off!

If you are in 9ja, pls beware of where you make this type of pronunciation, let them not use you to tell you 'they' are all around you. Juju exists, its very real and very common. I've witnessed an accident scene where the car driver was eventually found on a tree. Asked how he got there, he said it's egbe (whatever that means). That I believe was juju/

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 12:31pm On Sep 28, 2010
Yeo found on tree so Juju obviously put him there. is that the best excuse he could come up with? LOL

Try that excuse in any civilised world and see where it would get you?
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by sweetbeans: 12:37pm On Sep 28, 2010
MANY OF THE PEOPLE SAYING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN JUJU ARE ONLY TRYING TO SPRING UP ARGUMENTS AND TALK TALK TALK, GOD SYMBOLIZES GOOD, SATAN SYMBOLIZES EVIL SO WHAT ARE WE STILL ARGUING ABOUT. HAVE U READ ABOUT ELIJAH AND THE PROPHETS OF BAAL?, HAVE U READ ABOUT THE GOLDEN CALF?WHY THEN DO WE PRAY TO GOD FOR PROTECTION?WHY DO WE PRAY AGAINST PRINCIPALITIES AND POWERS? WHY TO WE THREAD AGAINST SNAKES AND SCORPIONS? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT SPRING UP UNNECESSARY ARGUMENTS? IT IS BETTER FOR US TO FOCUS ON MAKING OUR BRETHREN HAPPY, THAT TO BE DOUBTING WHETHER OR NOT THE DEVIL HAS POWER.GO TO IJEBU ODE AND SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING THERE, COME TO THE REDEMPTION CAMP AND SEE PEOPLE CONFESSING THEIR SINS, I TRULY PRAY FOR YOU, THAT YOU NEVER EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF THE DEVIL.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 12:44pm On Sep 28, 2010
Who are you praying to? This book you read, who wrote it. all it is is man's interpretation of stories he was told many years ago.

Laughable, don't pray for me. I understand your need to have a belief in something otherwise it would make your life empty.
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 12:50pm On Sep 28, 2010
sweetbeans:

MANY OF THE PEOPLE SAYING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN JUJU ARE ONLY TRYING TO SPRING UP ARGUMENTS AND TALK TALK TALK, GOD SYMBOLIZES GOOD, SATAN SYMBOLIZES EVIL SO WHAT ARE WE STILL ARGUING ABOUT. HAVE U READ ABOUT ELIJAH AND THE PROPHETS OF BAAL?, HAVE U READ ABOUT THE GOLDEN CALF?WHY THEN DO WE PRAY TO GOD FOR PROTECTION?WHY DO WE PRAY AGAINST PRINCIPALITIES AND POWERS? WHY TO WE THREAD AGAINST SNAKES AND SCORPIONS? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT SPRING UP UNNECESSARY ARGUMENTS? IT IS BETTER FOR US TO FOCUS ON MAKING OUR BRETHREN HAPPY, THAT TO BE DOUBTING WHETHER OR NOT THE DEVIL HAS POWER.GO TO IJEBU ODE AND SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING THERE, COME TO THE REDEMPTION CAMP AND SEE PEOPLE CONFESSING THEIR SINS, I TRULY PRAY FOR YOU, THAT YOU NEVER EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF THE DEVIL.

One of the things that is wrong with religion is that it teaches us to be satisfied with answers which are not really answers at all.

1 Like

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by sweetbeans: 1:00pm On Sep 28, 2010
DonOvero:

One of the things that is wrong with religion is that it teaches us to be satisfied with answers which are not really answers at all.

Christainity is not a religion. , its a way of life.no man wrote the bible, its an inspiration from God.may God give us all the insight to understand and accept his word. and replace our hearts of stone with hearts of flesh.The answers that the bible has given me is enough and satisfactory.i just pray God gives u the satisfaction he has given me.i was once like y'all!!
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 1:03pm On Sep 28, 2010
sweetbeans:

Christainity is not a religion. , its a way of life.no man wrote the bible, its an inspiration from God.may God give us all the insight to understand and accept his word. and replace our hearts of stone with hearts of flesh.The answers that the bible has given me is enough and satisfactory.i just pray God gives u the satisfaction he has given me.i was once like y'all!!

You pray to God to gime me satisifaction is this the same God of the Old Testament who is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Is this the God you mean?

2 Likes

Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 28, 2010
One of the main reasons why we Africans have remained in darkness is that people are willing to believe anything they are told without bothering to check if its possible. we are to scared to check anything out just in case something may happen

I bet you if this jazz truly existed ,"Oyibo" would have found a way to market it. It is this same jazz that "oyibo" used left leg to scatter in Benin. Some people will tell you that Jazz does not affect oyibo. How silly.

Sometimes I wonder, if everybody is afraid of his neighbour jazzing him, who is actually doing the jazz? like people have stated here all the information is second-hand and all the people turning to snake and goat is usually young women.

If someone can take me to a proper jazzman that can prove that jazz works, I will hammer big time. If they say jazz makes money, what is the use of us exporting oil in Naija? if you sentence someone to death for armed robbery, instead of firing squad let us carry him to jazzman so that they can use his head to make money for the state abi? that one is even good source of foreign exchange as Nigeria will be helping other countries to execute people

like posters earlier, their is evil and there are evil people. You can mix poisons and concoctions for someone to eat/drink/rub and the person will come to harm. but if you say that if you bring human head and dollars will start reigning, that is mumbo jumbo
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by DonOvero: 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2010
bermuda1:

One of the main reasons why we Africans have remained in darkness is that people are willing to believe anything they are told without bothering to check if its possible. we are to scared to check anything out just in case something may happen

I bet you if this jazz truly existed ,"Oyibo" would have found a way to market it. It is this same jazz that "oyibo" used left leg to scatter in Benin. Some people will tell you that Jazz does not affect oyibo. How silly.

Sometimes I wonder, if everybody is afraid of his neighbour jazzing him, who is actually doing the jazz? like people have stated here all the information is second-hand and all the people turning to snake and goat is usually young women.

If someone can take me to a proper jazzman that can prove that jazz works, I will hammer big time. If they say jazz makes money, what is the use of us exporting oil in Naija? if you sentence someone to death for armed robbery, instead of firing squad let us carry him to jazzman so that they can use his head to make money for the state abi? that one is even good source of foreign exchange as Nigeria will be helping other countries to execute people

like posters earlier, their is evil and there are evil people. You can mix poisons and concoctions for someone to eat/drink/rub and the person will come to harm. but if you say that if you bring human head and dollars will start reigning, that is mumbo jumbo

LOL exactly, If JUJU existed it is typical for Africans to mismanage it. The 'Oyibo' would have marketed it and sold it back to us for twice the price!

Hang on, Maybe Bill Gates did that and look at him now, if that was an African, instead of aiming big he uses it to make his enemy end up in a tree LOL
Re: What Has Been Your Experience With Juju? by sweetbeans: 1:22pm On Sep 28, 2010
DonOvero:

You pray to God to gime me satisifaction is this the same God of the Old Testament who is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Is this the God you mean?

HMM, ITS INTERESTING, ELM, DID GOD NOT SEND HIS SON IN THE NEW TESTAMENT. DIDNT GOD SAY HE MADE US IN HIS IMAGE? SINCE HE MADE US IN HIS IMAGE, HE IS LIKE US. THERE FORE, HE CAN BE JEALOUS AS YOU WOULD BE IF U FOUND OUT YOUR PARTNER WAS CHEATING. DIDNT HE LATER SEND HIS SON JESUS CHRIST TO DIE FOR US. DO YOU REALISE THAT THIS IS THE REASON WHY TODAY, WE CAN COMMIT ALL THE SIN WE WANT AND GET INSTANT FORGIVENESS? DO U NOT REMEMBER THAT GOD USED TO PUNISH SINNERS INSTANTLY IN THE OLD TESTAMENT. BE CAREFUL, THE ONLY SIN WHICH GOD CANNOT FORGIVE IS BLASPHEMY. MAY YOU NOT FACE THE WRATH OF GOD.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Oba Solomon Dele Owoniyi, The New Obaro Of Kabba / Igboukwu Art In Comparison To Ife Art - Taught By Exotic / Africans Were The First People Of The Ancient Americas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.