Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger (8137 Views)

Jose Mourinho Wants To Return To Management In The Summer / Vincent Enyeama Wants To Play Again, Set To Return To Football / Didier Drogba Open To Management Role Following Retirement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by ogbiwa: 6:13am On May 24, 2019
Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he is ready to take a new role in football - but has admitted for the first time he might not return to management.

Wenger ended his 22-year Gunners reign after the 2017-18 season and previously stated he intended to take charge of a new club in early 2019.

But the 69-year-old Frenchman told the BBC: "I thought I will come back into management very quickly, but I enjoyed taking a little distance.

"Now I'm at a crossroads."

He added: "You will see me again in football. As a manager... I don't know."

Wenger was speaking at the launch of his partnership with sports technology company PlayerMaker, which he is joining as an investor and operating partner.

It will not prevent him resuming his career in football, but his year out of work has given him a different outlook and may influence his next move.

"In this year I did a lot of charity work, conferences - and I enjoyed it, I must say, to be a little bit less in highlights and less under stress.

"I'm less intense, but I have a better perspective of what's going on. I see the mistakes managers make and I don't pay the price for it.

"I came to the conclusion I want to share what I learned in my life, because I think life is only useful if, at some stage, you share what you know.

"In what way will it be? Will it be in just winning football games, or will it be in another way? That's what I have to decide and that decision will come very quickly.

"Football is still my passion. I will come back soon - but I cannot tell you exactly in what capacity."

'I miss Arsenal because I left my heart in there'

Wenger won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups after taking charge of Arsenal in 1996, becoming the north London side's longest serving and most successful manager.

"I miss competition and I miss Arsenal because I left my heart in there," he explained.

"I gave my life to this club for 22 years. Every minute of my life was dedicated to this club and I miss the values we developed inside the club.

"I support Arsenal. It will be forever my club."

Europa League final a 'nightmare'

Wenger has yet to attend a Gunners match since his departure, and he will again be watching on television when they face Premier League rivals Chelsea in the Europa League final in Baku, Azerbaijan on 29 May.

But he expressed displeasure at the choice of venue, given the travel problems encountered by both sets of supporters and the decision of Arsenal's Armenia midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan not to participate because of political tensions between his country and the host nation.

"It's a little bit of a nightmare [for the fans]," said Wenger.

"The teams have no problem. They live in ideal conditions - they have their private jet, nice business seats. But it's the fans.

"That [Mkhitaryan's situation] is something that should not happen in football.

"I feel it's not normal that in 2019 - inside Europe, with very sophisticated democracies - that you cannot play for political reasons."

With Liverpool and Tottenham meeting in the Champions League final, it is an all-Premier League line-up in the two major European showpieces.

Wenger says that is down to the "quality of work" of English teams but also the age of the squads of some of the European giants.

"Many teams who were dominant forces in Europe before - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus - have collapsed," said the Frenchman.

"Paris St-Germain had a good opportunity to win the Champions League this year and [there has been an] over-ageing of the other dominant forces.

"They have to renew their teams. The players who used to make the difference are a bit overage now.

"That's why we will have a very, very interesting transfer market this summer."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48386784

1 Like

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by Nobody: 6:50am On May 24, 2019
See this bad luck o

2 Likes

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by nony43(m): 6:51am On May 24, 2019
Oga de were you de your time don pass for football
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by 13ShadesOfMay(m): 6:51am On May 24, 2019
Arsene wenger is less successful than Pep and Mourinho taking into account his 22-year spell with arsenal... His last reign at arsenal was so embarrassingly poor that no club will want to give a shot with managerial position... He will be better off as a chief scout looking at the players he bought - Aubameyang and Lacazette... Those guys are one hell of a duo.

5 Likes

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:56am On May 24, 2019
'I miss Arsenal because I left my heart in there

Professor, nothing as changed since you left, GBAMsolutely!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by Histrings08(m): 6:57am On May 24, 2019
This man almost destroyed our darling arsenal.... We still love you though..
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by Nobody: 7:02am On May 24, 2019
messed arsenal up
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by Nobody: 7:04am On May 24, 2019
We need this man to coach man city grin

So those.loxal.noisy neighbors can return to their rightful position in The lower league

2 Likes

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by sod09(m): 7:05am On May 24, 2019
You should have left when it was booming not as a failure...we didn't miss you
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by zolaman(f): 7:07am On May 24, 2019
old man go and rest, you gat nothing to offer again. you have tried, you really do. bye bye
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by BravoDe: 7:09am On May 24, 2019
He is still arsenal manager in disguise...same squad BTW arsenal just be like France national team. Arsenal have more French player than some club in lique 1
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by CalabarPikin: 7:10am On May 24, 2019
Maybe as a player this time

1 Like

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by pat077: 7:11am On May 24, 2019
go and coach in the Chinese league
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by BravoDe: 7:16am On May 24, 2019
post=78666573:

Professor, nothing as changed since you left, GBAMsolutely!
Madam Chelsea...The nothing ll beat u blue black in the final

1 Like

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:18am On May 24, 2019
BravoDe:

Madam Chelsea...The nothing ll beat u blue black in the final
Lol cheesy, you wish sir.
Correct score 3:1 to Chelsea! wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by BravoDe: 7:22am On May 24, 2019
post=78667109:

Lol cheesy, you wish sir.
Correct score 3:1 to Chelsea! wink

Did u watch the last premier league meeting BTW us....That's how it's gonna happen come 29...never joke with Unai Emery League UEL.

3 Likes

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by greall12(m): 7:30am On May 24, 2019
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by adecz: 7:31am On May 24, 2019
sad sad

My friend,
Just remain wherever you are.

Nobody wants you!!

angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by erons22(m): 7:43am On May 24, 2019
Na so una hate wenger grin
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by Nobody: 7:52am On May 24, 2019
13ShadesOfMay:
Arsene wenger is less successful than Pep and Mourinho taking into account his 22-year spell with arsenal... His last reign at arsenal was so embarrassingly poor that no club will want to give a shot with managerial position... He will be better off as a chief scout looking at the players he bought - Aubameyang and Lacazette... Those guys are one hell of a duo.
Aubameyang is Sven's buy not Wenger's
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by OTayobami(m): 7:57am On May 24, 2019
Lolssss

Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by chrisxxx(m): 8:51am On May 24, 2019
Wenger open an academy you will be surprised with young talent swarming to develop under your tutelage.
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by izzy4shizzy(m): 8:58am On May 24, 2019
Go make Chelsea sign you , dem need attacker
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by Lincoln275(m): 8:58am On May 24, 2019
As a commentator
Re: I'll Return To Football But Maybe Not To Management- Wenger by YoungAncient1: 9:00am On May 24, 2019
You can sign for a Serie A team or for Arsenal as a replacement for Mustafi

(1) (2) (Reply)

CAF WCL: :Bayelsa Queens Defeat Simba SC Women 1- 0 To Win Bronze medal / Nigeria Tops Medal Table At The African Junior Championship / Truexgold Is Giving Out Free $1500.00 Pob Credits – Strictly 4 Punters On Nl.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.