Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French (899 Views)

Iraqi Lawmakers Approve Bill To Expel US Forces From Country / Soliemani; Iraqi Lawmakers Approve Bill To Expel US Military Forces From Country / CUBA Lawmakers Approve New Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by FemiOtawa: 3:40am On May 26, 2019
Rwanda lawmakers approve Swahili as the official Language of the country, dropping French completely and sidelining English

People said: “This is good,really good but such a move leaves the Belgian (the former colonizer) and French authorities furious. I will not be surprised if a few months from France imposes sanctions on Rwanda or increases its funding to opposition parties or releases a report on Kagame’s government poor service delivery and human rights violations.

Rwanda is setting an example for the rest of the African countries. Its about time we drop the colonial legacy and go back to our roots. After all there is no European with an African name or African language as their official language…..Good job Rwanda, wake the rest of the sleeping countries up.

This is great development, if Rwanda still hold on that colonial tight with France, they would not have gone this far, France is evil blood suckered, they keep developing and building their country, But most Country they colonize are living in objective poverty, they dominated their entire existence.

The African Union should rise and liberate the African from France and western imperialism.

Read more: https://www.femiotawa.com/2019/05/rwanda-lawmakers-approve-swahili-as.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by Acermoon(m): 3:50am On May 26, 2019
Let's go Nigeria too....

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by princeFAD: 3:51am On May 26, 2019
This is a welcome development

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by courage89(m): 4:12am On May 26, 2019
This is a great decision, very commendable. As Africans, we need to do more to embrace and entrench our local languages, culture and history. Well done Rwanda, kudos to president Kagame

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by Acjohn(m): 4:20am On May 26, 2019
Nigeria own na Fulani, after all they have got a radio station for fast implementation

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by Megabig: 4:20am On May 26, 2019
Acermoon:
Let's go Nigeria too....
Nigeria?....English will remain Nigeria's official language, the way the colonial masters merged us eh, sometimes i keep asking if they have sense at all...the three major tribes have absolutely no culture in common, we would have at least started from there.....We still looking for unity

3 Likes

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by sykeng(m): 4:27am On May 26, 2019
Nice one Rwanda, especially our pidgin language should be accepted officially but not ruling out English language completely, what baffles me most is when I see people using English language as a yardstick for intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by reccy(m): 4:45am On May 26, 2019
Here, the only language our lawmakers can approve without wasting time is looting language. If you know you know
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by mysticwarrior(m): 7:32am On May 26, 2019
sykeng:
Nice one Rwanda, especially our pidgin language should be accepted officially but not ruling out English language completely, what baffles me most is when I see people using English language as a yardstick for intelligence.
from English we Africans were able to create a new language "pidgin" even an English man cannot understand when pidgin is spoken.

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by matrixme(m): 7:36am On May 26, 2019
This is stupid. Plainly stupid. How do they want other people to interact with them with their unknown language? Countries adopt languages not just because it was introduced by their colonial masters. It is also to be on par with the rest of the world. French should be the third most spoken language in the world or there about.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by panafrican(m): 1:39pm On May 26, 2019
Rwanda dropped French long time ago for English.
Curiously it is a woman from Rwanda who battled hard to be the secretary general of " La Francophone" . She replaced a Canadian - Haitien lady in that position.
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 26, 2019
I like that!
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by panafrican(m): 3:09pm On May 26, 2019
Will Nigeria, South Africa, Namibia, Liberia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, etc. drop English ?
Will Cote d'Ivoire , Cameroon, Chad, the DRC, Benin, Senegal etc. drop French ?
Will Angola drop Portuguese ?
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by HarryDuce(m): 11:45pm On May 26, 2019
matrixme:
This is stupid. Plainly stupid. How do they want other people to interact with them with their unknown language? Countries adopt languages not just because it was introduced by their colonial masters. It is also to be on par with the rest of the world. French should be the third most spoken language in the world or there about.
There's English...

Come to think of it, I've always thought English was the official language.
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by HarryDuce(m): 11:48pm On May 26, 2019
Acermoon:
Let's go Nigeria too....
Nigeria cannot drop English as an official language. It's just not possible.

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by panafrican(m): 2:41am On May 27, 2019
HarryDuce:
Nigeria cannot drop English as an official language. It's just not possible.
Let's go East and make the Chinese or the Indians choose an African language as their national language. We have a better chance to reach the number of 500 million people easily there
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by morpheus24: 9:16pm On May 29, 2019
matrixme:
My friend English will still be used as a Lingua franca as well because the population already understands and uses it on a daily basis. What this means is that their "official language document wise' will be Swahili which is an already spoken language generally in Eastern Africa.

South Africans have 11 official languages, don't they still use English?

3 Likes

Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by wirinet(m): 10:57pm On May 29, 2019
What of religion? With traditional religion be the official religion instead of Christianity?
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by Lionessza6(f): 6:09am On May 30, 2019
panafrican:
Will Nigeria, South Africa, Namibia, Liberia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, etc. drop English ?
Will Cote d'Ivoire , Cameroon, Chad, the DRC, Benin, Senegal etc. drop French ?
Will Angola drop Portuguese ?

English is not the only official language in South Africa, Kenya and Zim. I think dropping it completely is unnecessary as we use it to communicate with those outside of our shores, just like I am doing now on nairaland.
Re: Rwanda Lawmakers Approve Swahili As The Official Language, Dropping French by Lionessza6(f): 6:40am On May 30, 2019
wirinet:
What of religion? With traditional religion be the official religion instead of Christianity?

He has already closed down many churches in that country , I hope he bans Christianity completely grin grin.

Should there even be an official religion in a diverse country ?.

(1) (Reply)

Official Congratulations To Joe Biden And Kamala Harris / Trump Declares State Of Emergency In DC Ahead Of Biden Inauguration / Pogba, Diallo Hold Up Palestine Flag At Manchester United Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.