Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth (1997 Views)

Women's Inheritance Laws In Islam / People Eating In Public During Ramadan Will Be Arrested - Sharia Police / 25 Sharia Laws Breaching Human Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 12:35pm On Jun 03, 2019
IMAliyu:

Through ijtihad Yes, but not in the way you want.
Why are you even asking this, i was talking about something different here.
I'm talking about the Sharia laws that are derived from the Quran and Hadiths.

I asked because I want to know if Islamic practice can be updated regarding your premise.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by IMAliyu(m): 2:06pm On Jun 03, 2019
tintingz:
I'm talking about the Sharia laws that are derived from the Quran and Hadiths.

I asked because I want to know if Islamic practice can be updated regarding your premise.
Islamic practice like salat (obligatory spiritual practices)?
My answer is No, but minor valid various can exists in the understanding of how to carry these out e.g. the difference in how Maliki, hanafi or even shia pray.
Or are you talking about things like alcohol prohibition (a universal Islamic rule)?
My answer is maybe, because being in a conditions that necessitates it can temporarily void the rule e.g. The use of intoxicants for medical sedation of patients in hospitals or something like that. The benefits and drawbacks are weighed against each other and a new ruling could be brought about that is still in accordance to the understanding/interpretation of the Quran and/or hadiths.
Or are you talking about ambiguous subjects with no Quranic and hadith ruling on it (like the use of modern technology)?
This is just a neutral zone with which using simple reasoning and common sense can help. Unfortunately common sense isn't that common though so some clerics choose to create rulings on these as well.
I hope this helps answer your question.
Edit: I'm not sure if this is relevant, but i would like to throw in another class of rules
Some rulings could be considered obsolete because those conditions or environment no longer exist. I'm talking about things like the ruling on slaves, owning a slave, being a slave... Because slavery is no longer a thing (or at least i hope so). And the ruling on "killing infidels" the verses of the Quran that talk about that are considered to be limited to the time period when the prophet(saw) and his followers where at war with the people of makka and not to be taken literally (like the likes of ISIS and BH).
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 2:44pm On Jun 03, 2019
IMAliyu:

Islamic practice like salat (obligatory spiritual practices)?
My answer is No, but minor valid various can exists in the understanding of how to carry these out e.g. the difference in how Maliki, hanafi or even shia pray.
Or are you talking about things like alcohol prohibition (a universal Islamic rule)?
My answer is maybe, because being in a conditions that necessitates it can temporarily void the rule e.g. The use of intoxicants for medical sedation of patients in hospitals or something like that. The benefits and drawbacks are weighed against each other and a new ruling could be brought about that is still in accordance to the understanding/interpretation of the Quran and/or hadiths.
Or are you talking about ambiguous subjects with no Quranic and hadith ruling on it (like the use of modern technology)?
This is just a neutral zone with which using simple reasoning and common sense can help. Unfortunately common sense isn't that common though so some clerics choose to create rulings on these as well.
I hope this helps answer your question.
Edit: I'm not sure if this is relevant, but i would like to throw in another class of rules
Some rulings could be considered obsolete because those conditions or environment no longer exist. I'm talking about things like the ruling on slaves, owning a slave, being a slave... Because slavery is no longer a thing (or at least i hope so). And the ruling on "killing infidels" the verses of the Quran that talk about that are considered to be limited to the time period when the prophet(saw) and his followers where at war with the people of makka and not to be taken literally (like the likes of ISIS and BH).

Ok, do you believe the Quran is not absolute morality?
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by IMAliyu(m): 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2019
tintingz:

Ok, do you believe the Quran is not absolute morality?
This is a trap Question.
My response is. I believe the Quran is a source and guide of morality in addition to the inbuilt moral compass everyone is created with.

We are kind of derailing this thread. I'm patiently waiting for username to finish presenting his argument.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 4:32pm On Jun 03, 2019
IMAliyu:

This is a trap Question.
My response is. I believe the Quran is a source and guide of morality in addition to the inbuilt moral compass everyone is created with.

We are kind of derailing this thread. I'm patiently waiting for username to finish presenting his argument.
Ok, the Quran is just a guide of morality not the absolute objective morality? Yes?

1 Like

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by Empiree: 8:06pm On Jun 03, 2019
tintingz:

The barbaric practice and beliefs in the Qur'an and Hadiths are corrupting the souls of majority Muslims.
my question is, does usermane agrees with his statement @bold?.

Let's see where he stands since he's now in the cycle of disbelievers?
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by budaatum: 12:04am On Jun 04, 2019
tintingz:
Can Sharia law be updated?
Yes. Sharia was written by human beings so we can take eraser to it and rub it off and write another on top if we want or just rip the page up or both.

There is Sharia that says we should whip 100 lashes of cane for some crimes. We don't anymore. We just rubbed it off and tore up the paper it was written on.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 12:09am On Jun 04, 2019
budaatum:

Yes. Sharia was written by human beings so we can take eraser to it and rub it off and write another on top if we want or just rip the page up or both.
Lol, not in the Muslim world. You can't erase laws in the Qur'an and Hadiths or your head will be rolling on the floor. grin

There is Sharia that says we should whip 100 lashes of cane for some crimes. We don't anymore. We just rubbed it off and tore up the paper it was written on.
Go to Saudi Arabia and tell them that. grin
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by budaatum: 12:15am On Jun 04, 2019
tintingz:
Lol, not in the Muslim world. You can't erase laws in the Qur'an and Hadiths or your head will be rolling on the floor. grin

Go to Saudi Arabia and tell them that. grin
Why should I go to Saudi Arabia? Are there no Muslims in Nigeria? Let us remain in Nigeria first please!

Is it not true in Nigeria tingz, that we have used eraser to rub off 100 cane Sharia and ripped up the paper it was written on?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 12:20am On Jun 04, 2019
budaatum:
Why should I go to Saudi Arabia? Are there no Muslims in Nigeria? Let us remain in Nigeria first please!

Is it not true in Nigeria tingz, that we have used eraser to rub off 100 cane Sharia and ripped up the paper it was written on?
Ok, go to northern Nigeria then.

Nigeria is govern by constitutional law, Nigeria is not an Islamic country but this does not change nor erase the Sharia law of the Muslims.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 4:02pm On Jun 05, 2019
6. First cousin marriages Legal:

Qur'an 4:23
This verse specifies the categories of female relatives PROHIBITED for married to Muslim men. There is NO MENTION of direct or first cousins. First cousins are blood relatives. Strangely enough the verse prohibits marriage to foster brother or sister despite these not being blood relatives.

Qur'an 33:50
The prophet is permitted to marry female cousins in this verse.

Muhammad reportedly married off his daughter Fatimah, to her cousin Ali. Muhammad is reported to have married his cousin, Zainab bint Jash. Numerous companions of Muhammad are reported to have married their first cousins.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2019
How Consanguineous marriage detract from scientific growth

Consanguineous marriages prevent the diversification of family genes. This mean that desirable genes may be retained within the family, and this seem good. But there is also the cost of retaining undesirable genes within the family gene pool.

The human genome consist of undesirable recessive alleles for genetic disorders like thalassemia or albinism, usually expressed in homozygous recessive gene. The recessive alleles for such disorders may be present in our genes but not expressed due to suppression by the dominant allele in heterozygous gene.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2019
In a family, these unexpressed recessive alleles may already be present among most members. Marrying among themselves increases the risk of homozygous recessive genes after fertilization, creating babies with genetic disorders.
A valid Muslim argument is that sharia does not mandate or recommend consanguineous marriages, it only permit it. This is true, but consanguineous marriage need to be discouraged. And anything permitted under sharia cannot be discouraged. Especially, if practiced by Muhammad and his companions.

This is why in parts of the Muslim world, this kind of marriage remain common and preferable to marrying outside the family, despite scientifically proven risks.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 4:13pm On Jun 05, 2019
usermane:
A valid Muslim argument is that sharia does not mandate or recommend consanguineous marriages, it only permit it. This is true, but consanguineous marriage need to be discouraged, and anything permitted under sharia cannot be discouraged.

This is why in parts of the Muslim world, this kind of marriage remain common and preferable to marrying outside the family, despite scientifically proven risks.
The reason the Arab world has the highest genetic disorder in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_on_Arabs
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 4:15pm On Jun 05, 2019
usermane:
6. First cousin marriages Legal:

Qur'an 4:23
This verse specifies the categories of female relatives PROHIBITED for married to Muslim men. There is NO MENTION of direct or first cousins. First cousins are blood relatives. Strangely enough the verse prohibits marriage to foster brother or sister despite these not being blood relatives.

Qur'an 33:50
The prophet is permitted to marry female cousins in this verse.

Muhammad reportedly married off his daughter Fatimah, to her cousin Ali. Muhammad is reported to have married his cousin, Zainab bint Jash. Numerous companions of Muhammad are reported to have married their first cousins.
I read Khadija the first wife of Muhammad is somehow related to Muhammad. Any take on that?

And his children died of mysterious illness.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 5:12pm On Jun 05, 2019
tintingz:
I read Khadija the first wife of Muhammad is somehow related to Muhammad. Any take on that?

Oh, I haven't found any info relating blood ties between Khadija and Muhammad. I learnt about his children's death long ago. Quite striking. I don't know how common it was for parents to lose so much of their kids to illnesses or natural death at that time.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2019
usermane:

Oh, I haven't found any info relating blood ties between Khadija and Muhammad.
It is here

I learnt about his children's death long ago. Quite striking. I don't know how common it was for parents to lose so much of their kids to illnesses or natural death at that time.
I guess there were no records of what actually killed Muhammad children.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by lanrexlan(m): 9:01pm On Jun 05, 2019
tintingz:

tintingz:
It is here

I guess there were no records of what actually killed Muhammad children.

Why are two bold statements seem to be in contradiction? You claimed the Prophet's kids died mysteriously in the first sentence. Then, you turned around and said "There were no records of what actually killed the Prophet's children".

The question is, if there were no sources that claimed to explain the deaths of the beloved kids of the Nabi, how did you come to the conclusion of your first statement of "They died mysterious deaths? " Boda Taiwo grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2019
lanrexlan:

Why are two bold statements seem to be in contradiction? You claimed the Prophet's kids died mysteriously in the first sentence. Then, you turned around and said "There were no records of what actually killed the Prophet's children".

The question is, if there were no sources that claimed to explain the deaths of the beloved kids of the Nabi, how did you come to the conclusion of your first statement of "They died mysterious deaths? " Boda Taiwo grin
SMH.

It's said they died of illness or so, but the cause or nature of death are not recorded probably due to ignorance at that time or no investigations were done or it's common at that time or it was kept secret. Whatever it's they died mysteriously, the fact that I used "mysterious" and "actually" you should grasp the context of what I'm saying.

Kindly connect the context of my posts, you don't have to sound ridiculous.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by lanrexlan(m): 10:46pm On Jun 05, 2019
tintingz:
SMH.

It's said they died of illness or so, but the cause or nature of death are not recorded probably due to ignorance at that time or no investigations were done or it's common at that time or it was kept secret. Whatever it's they died mysteriously, the fact that I used "mysterious" and "actually" you should grasp the context of what I'm saying.

Kindly connect the context of my posts, you don't have to sound ridiculous.
Illness itself sometimes is a pointer and cause of death. You said they died due to illness and yet said the cause of death is not known! Is illness not a cause of death?! You should have said the cause of illness wasn't known. That's acceptable, instead of taking it personal. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2019
lanrexlan:
Illness itself sometimes is a pointer and cause of death. You said they died due to illness and yet said the cause of death is not known! Is illness not a cause of death?! You should have said the cause of illness wasn't known. That's acceptable, instead of taking it personal. grin

What does "mysterious illness" means?
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 2:37pm On Jun 08, 2019
7. Corpse Should BE Buried QUICKLY

Sahih al-Bukhari » Book of Funerals:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Hurry up with the dead body for if it was righteous, you are forwarding it to welfare; and if it was otherwise, then you are putting off an evil thing down your necks."
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 2:39pm On Jun 08, 2019
How Quick or Immediate Burial Can Retards Scientific Growth

Our modern understanding of human anatomy and physiology heavily owe to cadavers(corpse) studies. Cringy as it sounds, medical universities still rely upon cadaver dissection to educate students - potential health care providers- on how the human body is structured and functions.

If all of humanity immediately buried their corpses, how far could we have come on human anatomy and physiology? We'd most likely still rely on the teachings of Aristotle or Galen, and so many illnesses would not be understood to develop their cures.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2019
Another thing, burial delay is necessity for postmortem examination which can help in determining cause of death, useful for solving crimes or unraveling the pathology behind deadly diseases.

The idea of postmortem exams and autopsy would never even be conceived in a society that strongly insist on immediate burial of corpses.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 1:12pm On Jun 09, 2019
8. Curse & Put out Effeminate men and Emasculate women from your houses

Sunan Abu Dawud>>Book of General Behavior:

The Prophet (May peace be upon him) cursed effeminate men (mukhannathan) and women who imitated men, saying: Put them out of your houses, and put so-and-so out.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 1:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
How cursing & kicking out effeminate men and emasculate women detract from Scientific growth

Men may not be to blame for behaving like women. It could be due to their upbringing or genetic. If we all harbored curses and kicked them out, we'd never understand the genetic root of sexual behaviors to realize why some males may act too feminine and some females act too masculine.

Of course, there could be exceptional cases. But it is a fact that feminine behavior in males and masculine behavior in females is inborn
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2019
9. Circumcision mandatory or recommended

Sunan an-Nasa'i » The Book of Adornment:

"Five things are of the Fitrah: Clipping the nails, trimming the mustache, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubes, and circumcision."

Musnad Ibn Hanbal 5:75:

Abu al- Malih ibn `Usama's father relates that the Prophet said: "Circumcision is a law for men and a preservation of honour for women."
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2019
How Circumcision detract from Scientific growth

Whether it is the penis or vulva, circumcision is potentially dangerous. It can cause permanent injuries to nerves, decreasing sensitivity. There is the risk of infection, especially in the days before antiseptics. And all kinds of psychological traumas may follow, if done at an older age.

Male circumcision may have served hygiene purposes in the past, but not anymore. Proper hygiene is easy nowadays even with a foreskin. And female circumcision basically have no purpose, except of course to tame female libido supposedly to prevent promiscuity among women and protect their honor.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:03am On Jun 15, 2019
This post is becoming a preposterous thread from an atheist. You started from being a Quranist and now moving on to fully fledged atheist.

Any thread you see "Boda Taiwo" feature and yet doesn't critcise the OP is (most likely) an atheist thread.

Corpse shouldn't be buried quickly, pack all of them to your house for practicals!

1 Like

Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by tintingz(m): 11:58am On Jun 15, 2019
Rashduct4luv:
This post is becoming a preposterous thread from an atheist. You started from being a Quranist and now moving on to fully fledged atheist.

Any thread you see "Boda Taiwo" feature and yet doesn't critcise the OP is (most likely) an atheist thread.

Corpse shouldn't be buried quickly, pack all of them to your house for practicals!
Sigh, SMH.
Re: 10 Sharia Laws Retarding Scientific Growth by usermane(m): 2:15pm On Jun 16, 2019
10. Do not Leave or Enter an area with Disease Outbreak

Sahih al-Bukhari » Book of Medicine:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "If you hear of an outbreak of plague in a land, do not enter it; but if the plague breaks out in a place while you are in it, do not leave that place."

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An-Nikkah: Those Who Did, Those Who Didnt, those with date(Jarus) / The Character And Attributes Of God / "I Became Shia When I Saw Imam Ali (A.S.)"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.