Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Premier League All Time Eleven - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Premier League All Time Eleven (2458 Views)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / Who Is The Most Decorated Footballer Of All Time At Senior Level? / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Premier League All Time Eleven by medjai(m): 2:21pm On Sep 27, 2010
Over 260,000 fans worldwide voted on Barclays Football Facebook page to pick the ultimate XI, with United - by far the most successful team of the Premier League era - providing seven players past and present.

United keeper Peter Schmeichel beat off the competition to win his place in between the sticks, while Gary Neville and Patrice Evra occupy the full-back positions.

The highly decorated Ryan Giggs gets the nod on the left hand side of midfield after a glittering career spanning the entire existence of the Premier League, while fellow veteran and the equally evergreen Paul Scholes takes his place in the middle.

David Beckham claimed more votes than his fellow United number seven Cristiano Ronaldo to line up on the right while Eric Cantona, the man widely credited with sparking United’s incredible run of success back in the 1992-93 season, plays up front.

Just for good measure, United provide the manager too, Sir Alex Ferguson leading the side from the bench having won an overwhelming 64 per cent of the vote.

Liverpool’s talismanic Steven Gerrard breaks up United’s dominance in midfield, while Chelsea’s John Terry and Arsenal legend Tony Adams - both great leaders of men - were voted on to the team at centre-back.

Completing the team is Thierry Henry of Arsenal, who lines up alongside Cantona in an all French forward line.

But there were no places for the likes of Roy Keane, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira or Alan Shearer in the elite XI.

BARCLAYS FOOTBALL FACEBOOK FANS’ ALL-TIME BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE XI:

GK – Peter Schmeichel

RB – Gary Neville

CB – Tony Adams

CB – John Terry

LB  - Patrice Evra

RM – David Beckham

CM – Paul Scholes

CM – Steven Gerrard

LM – Ryan Giggs

CF – Eric Cantona

CF – Thierry Henry

MANAGER: Sir Alex Ferguson

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18092010/58/premier-league-fans-choose-time-xi.html

Nonsense list. Evra, all time best left back? ridiculous!
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by edoyad(m): 2:31pm On Sep 27, 2010
Gary Neville and Paul Scholes my left testcle ! angry
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by chic2pimp(m): 3:43pm On Sep 27, 2010
Patrice 'Error Prone' Evra over Cashley Cole? I laff in Scummie
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by ritchboy(m): 5:03pm On Sep 27, 2010
off the top of my head:

Schmeichel

Neville          Adams          Terry          Cashley

Pires          Vieira          Scholes          Giggs

Ronaldo
             Henry

isnt it shocking Gary Neville is the most eligible candidate for right back? grin grin
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by tkb417(m): 5:14pm On Sep 27, 2010
Remove Evra and put Cashley

Remove Gerrard and put Viera

Remove Beckham and put Christiano Ronaldo
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 5:22pm On Sep 27, 2010
If Vieira dey, Roy Keane must dey.

1. Schmeichel
2. G Neville
3. A Cole
4. T Adams
5. S Hyppia
6. R Keane
7. C Ronaldo
8. P Vieira
9. Henry
10. Bergkamp/Cantona/Zola
11. R Giggs
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by sleekdot(m): 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2010
Schmeichel
G Neville
Ashley Cole
Tony Adams
Nemanja Vidic
Paddy Viera
Roy Keane
R Giggs
C Ronaldo
T Henry
Alan Shearer

How can folks omit Shearer the record goal scorer

--------------------Schmeichel

G. Neville T Adams N Vidic A Cole

----------R. Keane----P Vieira

C. Ronaldo------------------R Giggs

------T Henry--- Alan Shearer
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by medjai(m): 7:20pm On Sep 27, 2010
I tire for the list o! Alan Shearer-all time highest goal scorer and Frank Lampard-midfielder with the highest number of goals-were not included. Lampard should take Gerrard's place
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2010
Its not about Shearer or no Shearer.

If you decide to play a no 10, you will go with Cantona or Bergkamp.

That leaves a no9 and that has to be Henry or Van Nistelrooy before you even think about Shearer.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by tkb417(m): 7:48pm On Sep 27, 2010
RVN would play ahead of shearer

meanwhile
sleekdot

who typed that thing for u?

did u ever see Tony Adams on the field? u this Jose Mourhinho lover

im sure u started watching football when Jose came to Englad

go and sleep with ashawo abeg
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by sleekdot(m): 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2010
Ibime:

Its not about Shearer or no Shearer.

If you decide to play a no 10, you will go with Cantona or Bergkamp.

That leaves a no9 and that has to be Henry or Van Nistelrooy before you even think about Shearer.

Ibime, How do you mention EPL and leave out the highest goal scorer of all time?

Can you imagine mentioning World cup and leaving out Ronaldo Lima or Champions league and leaving out Raul.

Remember Shearer did all his goalscoring in not too big clubs Consecutive Highest goal scorer for 3 seasons running.

The Zola that graced EPL was almost at his twilight, If a grandpa like Zola makes EPL all time best then Na real wa!!

tkb417:

RVN would play ahead of shearer

meanwhile
sleekdot

who typed that thing for u?

did u ever see Tony Adams on the field? u this Jose Mourhinho lover

im sure u started watching football when Jose came to Englad

go and sleep with ashawo abeg

See person wey dey yarn? I don born again o.

Meanwhile, Na ME hijack his ID, Dem don ban me cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 8:58pm On Sep 27, 2010
Of course I would leave out Raul and Inzaghi when talking about Champions league.

What is Shearers goal to game ratio in EPL? 1.7 games per goal.

Henry = 1.46 games per goal

We havent even started talking of assists and levels of play.

Van Nistelrooy = 1.58 games per goal

Shearer doesnt belong in their class.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by sleekdot(m): 9:07pm On Sep 27, 2010
Does it matter that Shearer played for mid table teams for most of his career while Ruud and Henry had a better support cast?
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 9:16pm On Sep 27, 2010
Shearer had chance to go to Manchester but he turned em down. Wetin concern us? Regardless of the level he played at, he was the boss of the team and everything went through him. Newcastle of Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson days was a top 4 team, and Newcastle of Kevin Keegan days was the highest scoring, most attacking team in the EPL with the likes of Ginola, Phillipe Albert, Rob Lee, Asprilla, Sir Les Ferdinand, Keith Gillespie etc.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 9:43pm On Sep 27, 2010
sleekdot:

The Zola that graced EPL was almost at his twilight,  If a grandpa like Zola makes EPL all time best then Na real wa!!

I dont get your point.

In Zolas first season, he was by far the best player in the Prem.

Makalele was also 30 when he came, but you cannot mention DM without calling it "the Makelele position". Infact, I dont know why Maka didnt make my list sef.

Vieira, Bergkamp and Henry were all chased out of Italy but still made the list.

Ginola and Pires were also chased out of France. Cantona is persona non grata in France and was even chased out of Leeds.

Stars of Serie A like Sheva and Veron came in all their pomp and glory and flopped.

Premierleague nonentities like Pique and Forlan for example have also gone the other way and shone.

Meanwhile those like Okocha and Ronaldinho who are persona non grata in Paris have moved on to become real stars in other leagues.

All that matters is how the player settles in. Zola will always be a legend, and had he come to UK earlier, he would definitely collect no10 from Bergkamp and Cantona.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by sleekdot(m): 9:52pm On Sep 27, 2010
Ibime:

I dont get your point.

In Zolas first season, he was by far the best player in the Prem.

^^ Point is Zola spent all his productive years elsewhere

Makalele was also 30 when he came, but you cannot mention DM without calling it "the Makelele position". Infact, I dont know why Maka didnt make my list sef.

Makalele position is a making o fthe English Press who are always awed by any decent looking footballer. This was a Makalele that was chased out of Madrid by Perez claiming he cant make any pass more than 5 yrds any attempt to do so goes to the opponent.

Vieira, Bergkamp and Henry were all chased out of Italy but still made the list.

These people came in their youthful years. Vieira and Henry we can say never had that much of a career elsewhere, Henry came in his early twenties same with Vieira

Ginola and Pires were also chased out of France. Cantona is persona non grata in France and was even chased out of Leeds.

Pires was not chased out of France. Maybe Ginola and Cantona

Stars of Serie A like Sheva and Veron came in all their pomp and glory and flopped.

Sheva came on his decline,

If a player almost at retirement like Zola can come and become a member of the EPL best teams ever, then that must mean either the choice of Zola is wrong or the EPL sucks. SO choose one
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by sleekdot(m): 9:55pm On Sep 27, 2010
If you all time greats are made up of reject from other leagues then wahala dey

Maybe you should add Weah,Okocha, Borghetti,Vialli,Diokaeef, Campo, Hierro,Ravanelli, Deschamps, Blanc,Zola, Van der Saar, Desailly to the EPL all star team
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 12:09am On Sep 28, 2010
And what did Galacticos win after Maka left? Zilch.

Perez is a fool. He only said that nonsense because he didn't wanna pay Maka more than 20k per week and tried to categorise him as a water carrier. Maka is one of the only central midfielders who does the Kanu drag trick in the middle of a packed midfield and still never loses the ball. Name your best attacking midfielders, Maka has more technique than 80% of them.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by A40(m): 2:50am On Sep 28, 2010
Ibime:

All that matters is how the player settles in. Zola will always be a legend, and had he come to UK earlier, he would definitely collect no10 from Bergkamp and Cantona.
#WTFNiggaAreYouHighOnCrackCocaine Zola is only a legend at Chelsea and Chelsea alone abeg don't let your love for your club lead you to spew fallacy
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by tkb417(m): 8:25am On Sep 28, 2010

Meanwhile, Na ME hijack his ID, Dem don ban me
i come tire cos i know say sleekdot no sabi football

who go ban u? i tot na u get NL

ol boi, u don dey curse mama and papa ni?
;lmao
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by ritchboy(m): 10:39am On Sep 28, 2010
A-40:

#WTFNiggaAreYouHighOnCrackCocaine Zola is only a legend at Chelsea and Chelsea alone abeg don't let your love for your club lead you to spew fallacy

hehehehe, Ibime must have been under the influence when he typed that.

Zola over Bergkamp and Cantona? I laugh in blu-ray grin grin
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by jalether(m): 11:33am On Sep 28, 2010
P. Schmeichel

Neville             Adams             Terry           Ashley

C.Ronaldo            Viera          Scholes           Giggs

Shearer          Henry

Honorable mention: Matt La tissier, Ginola, Cantonna, Zola, Roy Keane and Bergkamp
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2010
@WTFniggayoumustbedrinking40swithOE, I no blame DSTV boys. Na those wey begin watch Prem late wey go talk say Zola no carry everybody shine between 96-98. And BTW, I never put him above Bergkamp and Cantona. If he had performed at 96-98 levels over longer period of time, then definitely.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by ritchboy(m): 2:48pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ibime:

@WTFniggayoumustbedrinking40swithOE, I no blame DSTV boys. Na those wey begin watch Prem late wey go talk say Zola no carry everybody shine between 96-98. And BTW, I never put him above Bergkamp and Cantona. If he had performed at 96-98 levels over longer period of time, then definitely.

if Kevin Phillips had maintained his 99-2000 form he could have been the Premier League's record scorer. . .

if Walcott had Zidane's technique he could've become the best player in the league. . .

if pigs could fly people would be relieved to find out their parked cars have only bird sh[i]i[/i]t on them grin grin grin
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by A40(m): 7:08pm On Sep 28, 2010
@Ibime
Only delinquent Chelsea fans would sit there commit such blasphemy!! Zola and the word Legend are two di.c.ks that should not mix! How can Zola steal everyone's shine between 96 and 98 when Bergkamp was player of the year in 98. There must be gbana in ya system

@Ritchboy
Ibime would soon tell us he is richer than Carlos Slim
Zola rated higher than Bergkamp?? I laugh in chihuahua
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by chamotex(m): 9:11am On Sep 29, 2010
Schmeichel

G.Neville Adams Terry Winterburn

Beckham Keane Vieira Giggs

Henry Di Canio
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by dyabman(m): 9:33am On Sep 29, 2010
Cech / schmeichel

G.Neville Adams Terry Ashley cole

Beckham Makalele Veira Giggs

Les ferdinand Henry/Drogba

* Drogba rocks! grin
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 10:21am On Sep 29, 2010
See the way dem finish me because I put Zola as my third choice no10, meanwhile Chamo and Dyabman put Di Canio and Les Ferdinand respectively, yet nobody yarn.

Chamo, you should slapped as a United fan for putting Winterburn as left-back. Even if you no like Cashley or Evra, have you never heard of Dennis Irwin? All these DSTV boys sef.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by medjai(m): 10:41am On Sep 29, 2010
^^
or Ian Harte
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by dyabman(m): 11:07am On Sep 29, 2010
we've heard of Dennis Irwin and Ian Harte ? tell me more about them Non Dstv boy lipsrsealed
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by Ibime(m): 11:25am On Sep 29, 2010
Ian Harte is a useless player. The only good thing he had was a great freekick.

Anybody wey compare Harte to Winterburn deserves slappings.

Dennis Irwin on the other hand was a true great, a right-footed left back with pure quality. Winterburn was not regarded up to half of the way Irwin was regarded.
Re: Premier League All Time Eleven by chamotex(m): 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2010
Ibime:

Chamo, you should slapped as a United fan for putting Winterburn as left-back. Even if you no like Cashley or Evra, have you never heard of Dennis Irwin? All these DSTV boys sef.

The topic didn't ask for United's 11 mate.
I could scrutinize your team and single out S.Hyppia as well but it's your personal choice.
You can only choose one player per postion.
In your team, you went for Bergkamp/Cantona and Zola . . . if you had to choose only one, I could criticize you for leaving the other two out.
If you loved Irwin so much, why didn't you put him in your team? cheesy
Or don't you think I would love to have had Scholesy in my team as well but I'm going by the rules by picking 11 . . .one for each position.

If we have to keep using the Ade/Peter/Ikemefuna/Ebele strategy . . . we would end up with 120 players grin grin
The topic says 11 not 13 or 15.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muslim Ribery Fumes Over Boateng’s Drenching Act During Title Celebration. / Carling Cup 3rd Round : Leeds United (0) Vs Liverpool (1) ,22nd September 2009 / Who Is The Best And Worst Referee In Premiership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.