Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,325 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details (33750 Views)

More Details On Trader Who Impersonated As Doctor To Treat Patient’s Heart. Pics / Man Who Snatched Bag Of A Bank Customer In Lagos Beaten By Mob / More On Missing joystick In Lagos: Nigerian Naval Officer Gets More Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by badesco(m): 4:51pm On May 27, 2019
Thank God you did not fell for the old trick. That is what we call insider dealing, some of banks staffs are culpable in this dubious act..
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by naijajobx: 4:52pm On May 27, 2019
Hmm
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Suplexx: 4:54pm On May 27, 2019
akejujoe:
These banks have a lot of staffs that work with these scammers . If not how are customers details compromised? People are been defrauded on a daily basis and they will absolve their-selves from all blames and leave the customers to bear the loss.This is really unfair.

Not true. The scammers have apps which they get these info from. But they don't have all the info, so they need the customers to help them with the rest info. So the public should be wise.

If it were bankers, they will have all the information.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by crowley(m): 4:54pm On May 27, 2019
na old format be this nw. who still falls for this
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 27, 2019
EmagNig:
A Nigerian man has taken to social media to expose the plot of scammers who contacted him to get his personal bank details after revealing his BVN and some other details they are not supposed to have.

According to the man, a certain number called him claiming they are calling from a Nigerian bank. They gave out some of his details and then expecting the man to divulge more details about himself.

He then wondered how they got his other details in the 1st place if there are no insiders in the bank.
Read his post:

I just received a phone call from this number – 09036210054 saying he’s from

@FirstBankngr, He told me my Date of birth, BVN and even the first 4 Numbers on my ATM card ,He called me again begging and even asked me to speak with “His manager” .. This a thread of all the Convos.
Here he called me Back again .. It’s now clear that these people have insiders in these Banks Bcs there is no way he could have gotten all those information about me except through someone working in the bank .. Imagine the no of people they would have called today
Here he said I should speak to his Manager .. I became very scared at this junction , A manager working on a Sunday ?

@segalink @FBN_help. it’s high time we began to hold these banks responsible for the frauds going on in Customers accounts . This is getting out of hands.
Nigeria has totally been destroyed. In this 21st Century, Fraudsters go around calling people with Registered phone numbers and No arrest or tracking has ever been made on this people .. A giant of Africa for that Matter !!!
They needed the Remaining Numbers on the ATM Card, The other 3 Numbers at the back and the OTP that would be sent to the phone number . And that’s how they can be able to transfer funds from the account

Listen to the conversation HERE:
https://lailasnews.com/scammers-call-bank-customer-reveal-his-bvn-then-ask-for-more-details/

Nigerian banks is license scammers, how can bank withdraw service charge from saves account every month and know one is saying anything about it including the EFCC them self. all over the word saves account get interest rate but in Nigeria operators of saves account pay service charge. Nigerian including the president is a scam. a country the president is still in search of his first school leaving certificate while his counterparts are putting their education knowledge to better the country they rule. CCB have given him asset declaration form to fill. let see what he will fill and excuse about his certificate. everything in Nigeria is scam. EFCC is busy jailing youth with Tag fighting internet fraud with hope of international recognition. but he fail to know that international body is waiting for the time he will jail big scamma, executive thieves such as, babachir lawal, Rotimi Amechi, Okolocha, Andrew aka NNPC sucker-away banker, and the less. Argentina police chief has made name for him self for arrested and recovery stolen money from big thief not the rats. God saves ours from scamma, killers and cultist nation.

3 Likes

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Suplexx: 4:55pm On May 27, 2019
badesco:
Thank God you did not fell for the old trick. That is what we call insider dealing, some of banks staffs are culpable in this dubious act..

And if the bankers were involved, why won't they give the scammers all the details?
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by xpool(m): 4:55pm On May 27, 2019
chrisifeanyi:
Isn't Nigeria a useless country? Scammer can even give u his bank account to transfer money yet he cannot be arrested through such details.
Correct!
That was how my colleagues first bank account was finished with her ATM card at first bank ATM, Asaba.
She complained to first bank staff in charge and demanded to see the CCTV clip to identify the culprit.
The first bank staff rebuked her saying it was of know importance

1 Like

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Unrated900(m): 5:04pm On May 27, 2019
[sub][/sub]
thunder74:
That was how one called me with this number (0806 570 1261) last week that he is calling me from Facebook Nigeria, headquarters in Abuja.

He said they observed my account has been duplicated by some hackers and want to help me to remove the fake account. He started to read out everything on my profile to me.

Before his call, I received a password reset codes from Facebook and he wants me to send the code to him.

Lol all those ones are small small yahoo boys in your areas.one needs to be careful even with your neighbour

One day my neighbour was asking me what is my full name as on my international passport.I said do I look like someone with passport.

I said but you can see the name I pasted on the notice board for payment of collectors for refuse in the house

He said he just wanted to know my full name as a neighbour,I said my full name is Edward Smith Ibrahim.

He said that is not my full name,I said that is it,he said okay sir later I said later

Do I know if he wana take it to babalawo and kill my enemy and want to marry my very pretty wife,let's be careful enemies are always nearby
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by datigbogirl: 5:09pm On May 27, 2019
kennygee:
This is the new way now. They know you DOB and other details

They will later now ask for the last 5 or 6 digits of your ATM card, the expiry date and pin.

Means they have an insider from the bank for them to have those details.

Can't remember the information one was asking me, I just told him "if you're calling from my bank, then you should have that information, unless you're a fraud".

Na so guy cut call.

I just wonder if the bankers decided to go on and perpetrate their act on their own...our money no safe for even these banker hands ooo.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by datigbogirl: 5:11pm On May 27, 2019
Yankiss:
It is probably not an insider issue. An insider will not need al these info. They will just compromise your account. These could be people close to u. Anybody may pretend they want to check something on ur phone n type a code for bvn. Be more careful. The devils are around or in some careless online transaction.

Omo na to begin dey hoard my phone from people oh, or better still change the sim in my browsimg phone to one that's not linked to my account. Then have one small torchlight phone linked to my account...

End time tins eh!

1 Like

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by ntyce(m): 5:21pm On May 27, 2019
It's quite easy, all he needs is to randomly sample BVN from existing numbers.
Most banks have links online where you verify the BVN, the verification reveals the phone number, full names and date of birth.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by AbleGod32123: 5:25pm On May 27, 2019
EmagNig:
A Nigerian man has taken to social media to expose the plot of scammers who contacted him to get his personal bank details after revealing his BVN and some other details they are not supposed to have.

According to the man, a certain number called him claiming they are calling from a Nigerian bank. They gave out some of his details and then expecting the man to divulge more details about himself.

He then wondered how they got his other details in the 1st place if there are no insiders in the bank.
Read his post:

@FirstBankngr, He told me my Date of birth, BVN and even the first 4 Numbers on my ATM card ,He called me again begging and even asked me to speak with “His manager” .. This a thread of all the Convos.
Here he called me Back again .. It’s now clear that these people have insiders in these Banks Bcs there is no way he could have gotten all those information about me except through someone working in the bank .. Imagine the no of people they would have called today
Here he said I should speak to his Manager .. I became very scared at this junction , A manager working on a Sunday ?

@segalink @FBN_help. it’s high time we began to hold these banks responsible for the frauds going on in Customers accounts . This is getting out of hands.
Nigeria has totally been destroyed. In this 21st Century, Fraudsters go around calling people with Registered phone numbers and No arrest or tracking has ever been made on this people .. A giant of Africa for that Matter !!!
They needed the Remaining Numbers on the ATM Card, The other 3 Numbers at the back and the OTP that would be sent to the phone number . And that’s how they can be able to transfer funds from the account

https://lailasnews.com/scammers-call-bank-customer-reveal-his-bvn-then-ask-for-more-details/

It just happened to me few hours ago but I refused to give him d other vital information he was asking for and he ended d call. That’s d number he called me with

1 Like

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by yomi007k(m): 5:28pm On May 27, 2019
Monalline:
had a similar experience,some money was transferred to me and the next day i went to withdraw it cos my card expired.on filling d form they said they need to do some verification and I said no problem,after some minutes I asked if they are done with d verification and they said yes but meanwhile they want me to tell them what i want to do with d money,i told them and finally i was able yo withdraw,4 hours later I received a call,the guy said he is calling from first bank,and he is sorry for d bad network in d morning,that i should pls send my ATM details ,that they want to correct some things in my account if not the account will close,blaaa blaa blaaa ,i told him i will come to d bank myself and check ,he said noo nnooo that i dont need to come over that they have other details and they mentioned my full name and my bank.I told him I will call him back that the place I am is noisy ,he said noo its not noisy I should just send the number on d ATM and they will do the work,I just ended d call and began to imagine why is it d day I made a huge transaction that this call is coming and most of the interactions we had at d bank,they reminded me.I then decided to go to the bank myself to complain but they said they are not the one that called.my take here is that there is an insider in these banks that are doing this fraud cos a total stranger can not give an in depth description of you and your account details.

I very much agree with you as I had a similar experience. I made a transaction in 2018 and about 2 hours later I got a text message asking me for some bank details. I just ignored.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by yomi007k(m): 5:34pm On May 27, 2019
Suplexx:

And if the bankers were involved, why won't they give the scammers all the details?

Same question I ask.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by mistijude: 5:37pm On May 27, 2019
Nobody needed to be held responsible other than you.I hope you are not one of those who was filling fake npower form online with all your bank details?So,why then are you surprised receiving phone call from scammers!
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Gkemz: 5:46pm On May 27, 2019
Your confidentiality has been compromised. The best you could do to safeguard your money is to open a new account with another bank and push all your savings from the compromised bank to the new account. The only challenge here is having your BVN in a wrong hand. Right from its inception, i had my skepticism about this BVN because it has a link to all your accounts. No wonder people now prefer the traditional method, piggy bank because commercial banks have failed to guarantee safety of deposits.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by akejujoe(f): 5:52pm On May 27, 2019
Bankers do not have all information especially the otp?That is why the scammers need to contact customers to get that particular detail. I still maintain some unscrupulous bankers feed these scammers with client information
Suplexx:

Not true. The scammers have apps which they get these info from. But they don't have all the info, so they need the customers to help them with the rest info. So the public should be wise.

If it were bankers, they will have all the information.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Kennedymac(m): 5:55pm On May 27, 2019
this is the same thing they did to my cousin bro
he being a novice gave them the last 3digit at the ATM card phew!!!!! na so the guy begin dey receive alert

1 Like

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by emmahoney(m): 6:55pm On May 27, 2019
They shall all die young and be useless to their parents. Some of them are on nairaland. They are reading our comments. Bleep them all.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Mrexcell(m): 6:56pm On May 27, 2019
EmagNig:

Read his post:

This is exactly what happened to me last sunday the man that called me was asking for my bank details that he is calling from the headquarters of my bank he even mentioned my names correctly nigerians really need to be very careful these days.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 27, 2019
It's not just the Bank revealing your information

Some folks use their cards on untrusted sites or fill out fake online forms

NIBBS also has customer information from all banks
If someone gets your data from the Bank, most sensitive information requires extra privileges so they pick what they can see e.g.

Your bank pan numbers displayed on your card is always masked in the Bank Database except the first six and last four. So they can copy this out and some proof to convince u.

Sometimes, banks make use of third party companies to support their businesses e.g.outsourcing their customer care or telemarketing units to other firms. These firms can gain access to some information of the customers, it's easy for an aggrieved staff to sell these information.

All I am saying is , most times at the end of it, the onus lies on us to protect our money, after all we worked hard for it

Always have a fully offline account for some of your savings, e.g. Bank accnt with no card, no internet or sms banking. This helps if you misplace your bank codes or robbed..

Always keep your password and card details save at all times. You don't have to work around with all your debit cards fully loaded with cash.

Protect your mobile number, if your phone is stolen , the thief can use your sim card to make recharges, or receive OTP to complete bank transactipns..

Keep the contact number of your banks and short codes to block accounts, call contact centers, RESET pins etc.

Trust no one

2 Likes

Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by nayolight(m): 7:09pm On May 27, 2019
Every man has a price. and for most people greed is their greatest undoing, subdue your appetite and you will conquer human nature, you will be free from their bait.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by NicolaiAlec: 8:03pm On May 27, 2019
Nothing scary here.

Check any pos receipt and you will see the card number digits scammers always use. The first for digits of the card are usually unique to the bank that issued it.

Nothing special in BVN, banks just use it to reconfirm your I'd from the database. It's filled on all registrar and some bank transaction documents.

Just be vigilant
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by alezzy13: 9:34pm On May 27, 2019
NicolaiAlec:
Nothing scary here.

Check any pos receipt and you will see the card number digits scammers always use. The first for digits of the card are usually unique to the bank that issued it.

Nothing special in BVN, banks just use it to reconfirm your I'd from the database. It's filled on all registrar and some bank transaction documents.

Just be vigilant

The bolded is true, but what about this increasing case of pranksters knowing ones DOB?

Na so one call me few weeks back claiming to be from Zenith Bank CC. The guy correctly got my name and date of birth. Of course I knew it was a fake when he started asking for my pin and all, so I just cut the call (but not before giving him a 'concentrated' insult cool )

Funny thing is I hardly use the card for online transaction. The surprise me sha
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by alezzy13: 9:36pm On May 27, 2019
rychard:
It's not just the Bank revealing your information

Some folks use their cards on untrusted sites or fill out fake online forms

NIBBS also has customer information from all banks
If someone gets your data from the Bank, most sensitive information requires extra privileges so they pick what they can see e.g.

Your bank pan numbers displayed on your card is always masked in the Bank Database except the first six and last four. So they can copy this out and some proof to convince u.

Sometimes, banks make use of third party companies to support their businesses e.g.outsourcing their customer care or telemarketing units to other firms. These firms can gain access to some information of the customers, it's easy for an aggrieved staff to sell these information.

All I am saying is , most times at the end of it, the onus lies on us to protect our money, after all we worked hard for it

Always have a fully offline account for some of your savings, e.g. Bank accnt with no card, no internet or sms banking. This helps if you misplace your bank codes or robbed..

Always keep your password and card details save at all times. You don't have to work around with all your debit cards fully loaded with cash.

Protect your mobile number, if your phone is stolen , the thief can use your sim card to make recharges, or receive OTP to complete bank transactipns..

Keep the contact number of your banks and short codes to block accounts, call contact centers, RESET pins etc.

Trust no one

Very useful advice. Too many desperate scammers these days
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by excel4us: 10:55pm On May 27, 2019
my coleague in the office fell for the chip scam and 10k was moved from her fcmb account.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by leTrizzle: 11:04pm On May 27, 2019
Am not surprised, ever wondered how yahoo boys are able to withdraw their loots? Of course the bank managers/workers are in on it.
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by BrokenCock: 1:53am On May 28, 2019
Yankiss:
It is probably not an insider issue. An insider will not need al these info. They will just compromise your account. These could be people close to u. Anybody may pretend they want to check something on ur phone n type a code for bvn. Be more careful. The devils are around or in some careless online transaction.
u are a banker . Stop defending the thieves there
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by BrokenCock: 1:55am On May 28, 2019
leTrizzle:
Am not surprised, ever wondered how yahoo boys are able to withdraw their loots? Of course the bank managers/workers are in on it.
stop spoiling 'yahoo' company name abeg! U mean fraudsters or scammers and not yahoo. . .those lazy block heads looking for money to steal online
Re: Scammers Call Bank Customer, Reveal His BVN & Then Ask For More Details by biggy00000(m): 5:54am On May 28, 2019
Most of the comments shows the reason why we write so many test before being given anything outside our country; as our thinking is a little bit on the low.

- when filling forms in the banking halls, we borrow pen, stand among the crowd of unknown people to write and still wonder how someone outside the bank knows our details.

- we register for other things (free) online , and yet ask how phone numbers were gotten

- we fill out forms for international passport, NIMC. ETC and yet only the bank should be hanged for any compromise.

- we all have received calls from our bank at one point before, yet we are slow to deduce the difference between manner of approach of bank staff.
" hello good afternoon, my name is **********, calling from ****** bank" and "hello goodafternoo my name is smith calling from your bank".

Senior men, fraud happens everywhere and would take the combine effort of all to combat it. When something is too good to be true, its most times not true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Little Girl Abandoned In The Bush In Anambra Rescued By Police (Photo) / Celebrities With No Sense - Delta State Police Spokesperson Replies Paul Okoye / Hoodlums Invade Rochas Okorocha’s House In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.