Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,881 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern (18722 Views)

Eniola Aluko Scores As Juventus Women Clinch Serie A Women's Title / Cristiano Ronaldo Scores As Juventus Win Italian Super Cup (Photos) / Some Top Football Coaches And The Cars They Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by ogbiwa: 6:31am On May 28, 2019
Sir Alex Ferguson returned to the dugout and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and David Beckham were back on the scoresheet as Manchester United beat Bayern Munich 5-0 in their 1999 Treble reunion game at Old Trafford.

It was the first time Ferguson, 77, had managed a United team since his retirement in 2013.

He sat with ex-England boss Steve McClaren, his assistant 20 years ago and they were later joined on the coaching bench by a substituted Solskjaer, the current United boss.

Famously, it was Solskjaer's injury-time goal in Barcelona that sealed what remains the only Treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League by an English club.

The reunion match, in aid of the Manchester United Foundation, was the first time Ferguson had been on the pitch since undergoing major surgery after suffering a brain haemorrhage last May.

And it was Solskjaer, on as substitute for Andy Cole - who was replaced after making a symbolic appearance just over two years after a kidney transplant - who scored a fourth-minute opener after Dwight Yorke and Jesper Blomqvist had combined to give him a tap-in.

As the latest man charged with trying to engineer a return to the glory days he was such an integral part in, the Norweigian's efforts were greeted with enthusiasm by a crowd in excess of 60,000.

Popular as he is, the reception for Solskjaer was eclipsed by the one afforded to David Beckham.

The former England skipper, 44, sold to Real Madrid in 2003 after a fall-out with Ferguson, got a standing ovation every time he went to take a corner.

Indeed, some observers suggested his delivery from wide areas was on a par with anything United have had since his successor in the number seven shirt, Cristiano Ronaldo, left in 2009.

The game was played at a gentle pace but it would be untrue to say there was no physical contact. At one point Jaap Stam knocked three Bayern players over in a 10-second cameo of hard-nosed defending.

And Scholes triggered a reaction from former Manchester City defender Martin Demechelis with a typically robust tackle that got more of the man than the ball.

But this was an occasion when both sets of players were largely content to show their footballing ability, with Yorke adding a second from Blomqvist's cross before half-time.

Scholes had a goal disallowed after he played a one-two off an offside Gary Neville's heel but fellow Class of 92 owner Nicky Butt made it three before Louis Saha scored the fourth.

It had to be Beckham who had the last word, though, skipping through the Bayern defence in the final minute before finishing high into the net to trigger the biggest cheer of the day and generous applause from his manager.

Stam backs Solskjaer to take club forward

Dutch veteran Jaap Stam said after playing in the match that his former team-mate Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was the right man to take the club forward, despite having "hard decisions" to make after another disappointing season.

"He's good and I am sure he is going to do it," said Stam.

"Of course, the last couple of games didn't go how he wanted but that's normal when you step in late in the season. You can't turn everything around in terms of winning every game because the competition within the league is very strong."

After a sixth-place finish and a failure to win a trophy for a fourth season in six since Sir Alex retired in 2013, Stam feels some tough choices lie ahead concerning United's established players.

"After how it's been going over the last couple of seasons, I think it's good to evaluate everything," he added. "You have to make hard decisions."

Club captain Antonio Valencia and midfielder Ander Herrera have already confirmed their Old Trafford departures and there is still no agreement over a new deal for Juan Mata, who is out of contract on 30 June.

Defenders Matteo Darmian and Marcos Rojo are other fringe players with uncertain futures, and doubts persist over some of United's biggest names also, with Romelu Lukaku set to be a target for former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte when he takes over at Inter Milan.

Goalkeeper David de Gea is about to enter the final year of his deal, while Paul Pogba and Alexis Sanchez have been linked with moves to Real Madrid and Inter respectively.

"Looking at the players, what they have done and what they have achieved, you need to make your choices, even when players still have a contract for another three or four seasons," Stam said.

United are willing to give Solskjaer the finances he needs to rebuild his squad, although one player who is unlikely to be heading to Old Trafford is Stam's fellow central defender and countryman Matthijs de Ligt.

Despite intense speculation linking the Ajax captain with United in recent days, Old Trafford officials are convinced an agreement for the 19-year-old to join Barcelona was struck a number of weeks ago.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48416260

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by MJBOLT: 6:51am On May 28, 2019
next season Man U will still finish 6th or end the season trophyless

2 Likes

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by sbm060(m): 6:59am On May 28, 2019
this wer d real manchester united players not this scams pogba,lukaku,smalling,young

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by bewla(m): 7:33am On May 28, 2019
England
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by oluwatosink: 8:38am On May 28, 2019
Up manu. cool
Next season we wan win trophies, Abeg Solskjaer no dissapoint us

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by kittykollinxx(m): 10:35am On May 28, 2019
Beckham was a real deal

3 Likes

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Adamsonian1993(m): 10:35am On May 28, 2019
Noted
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by licadrink: 10:35am On May 28, 2019
these are soccer legends

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Nobody: 10:35am On May 28, 2019
Bring back Ferguson for the red devils.... smiley wink

2 Likes

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Nwaedeinya(m): 10:35am On May 28, 2019
TGHJLHGFDGHJK
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by chukwuibuipob: 10:35am On May 28, 2019
cool real babs Alex

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by ngadaAwo: 10:36am On May 28, 2019
don't depend on nairaland for news these days
they're so backwards nowadays
this is a stale 2 days + news

9 Likes

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Woodrower: 10:37am On May 28, 2019
[
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Afz9095(m): 10:37am On May 28, 2019
See better team unlike current useless set of players they called team . God bless man Utd Legends

3 Likes

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by MufasaRebirth: 10:38am On May 28, 2019
Dead news
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by nicepoker101(m): 10:39am On May 28, 2019
logon599:
Sir Alex, the man with the winning wand!

Meanwhile, these legends are really trying. At 44 even 50+ after being out of the game for so long, they still manage to run round the field. I went to play football yesterday after a long time, and as I'm typing now, my body is doing me like I want to give birth cry
Even bobrisky won't say this. Wey the pikin wan take come out grin
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Ultimatezlant: 10:43am On May 28, 2019
Sir Alex and winning

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by MorataFC: 11:05am On May 28, 2019
MJBOLT:
everyone knows dat
Give another prophecy grin
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Angelfrost(m): 11:07am On May 28, 2019
MJBOLT:

...And life will go on, You will still be a Nigerian, Tinubu will still own Lagos...
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by TemmyT002(m): 11:07am On May 28, 2019
MJBOLT:

Bros, when will you be well?
You no well sir
Back to sender!!
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by BlackfireX: 11:21am On May 28, 2019
I didn't see Mikel obi there.... It must be a mistake
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Punt(m): 11:37am On May 28, 2019
It was a good game. Beckam's crosses are still sublime so also his combination with Beckam.

U can watch d highlights and the goals here

https:///ElqQC
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by lexy2014: 11:48am On May 28, 2019
oluwatosink:
Up manu. cool

Next season we wan win trophies, Abeg Solskjaer no dissapoint us

D story u read is about MANchester United. D team Solskjaer is managing is BOYchester united. Which trophy do u want them 2 win?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by lexy2014: 11:51am On May 28, 2019
MJBOLT:

There's no more Man U. What u have now is Boy U
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Andersonjr(m): 11:55am On May 28, 2019
Something that happened on Saturday. Chaii Nairaland
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by hybridblood07(m): 12:09pm On May 28, 2019
They all have been training day by day before the match. Also they did medical check up to find out if they will be fit to play.....
logon599:

Meanwhile, these legends are really trying. At 44 even 50+ after being out of the game for so long, they still manage to run round the field. I went to play football yesterday after a long time, and as I'm typing now, my body is doing me like I want to give birth cry
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Ayobami7(m): 12:51pm On May 28, 2019
ok
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by mechanics(m): 1:24pm On May 28, 2019
logon599:

hahahaha, you are not used to playing football.
Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by Itimkpataka2: 3:02pm On May 28, 2019
ngadaAwo:
don't depend on nairaland for news these days
they're so backwards nowadays
this is a stale 2 days + news

Na today you know. Nairaland is so backward recently that events that happened ON Sunday is been posted today.

All other sites are updating their brand while Nairaland is degrading theirs.

Seun. Sell Nairaland to me angry

1 Like

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by amber222(f): 3:14pm On May 28, 2019
grin
logon599:

Re: Ferguson Coaches, Solskjaer Scores As Man U Legends Thrash Bayern by amber222(f): 3:14pm On May 28, 2019
grin
logon599:

�����

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hazard Deal To Reach £130m With Bonuses And Add-ons — Report / Kidnappers Of Samson Siasia’s Mother Demand N70m Ransom / Serena Williams Becomes Forbes’ Highest Paid Sports Woman 4th Year In A Row

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.