Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? (3952 Views)

ASUU Has No Power To Dictate How Much To Fund Universities Or Payroll System / List Of JAMB Cut-Off Marks For All Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 6:07am On May 29, 2019
NonsoWow:
I hate to admit it but the OP has a point even though I know his real intention for creating this thread is devious. Onitsha city needs a university to drastically change its outlook and mentality. If peter obi had brains and wasn't a natural hardened thief, he would have done something about it instead of wasting 8 years looting Anambra's money. Anambra politicians keep taking higher institutions to their villages instead of our cities. There is nothing stopping Anambra from having two or more state-owned universities for the size of our population. And one university must be in Onitsha, very important. At least to curtail the stupidity of wawa and abakaliki lowlives constituting nuisance in the city.

NB: The university authorities in Nigeria should be alerted that two illegal private instutions namely buckingham poly ogidi and legacy university okija are operating unhindered in the state. Those two schools are not fit to raise fowls. Their physical structures are nauseating to say the least.

I doubt if you've resident in Onitsha before you wouldn't say that. There's no city as populated as Onitsha. Because of that 6 different markets where taken out of Onitsha, to decongest the city. The only market left in Onitsha is Main Market, Ochanja and Relief.

If I may ask you, do you know that Onitsha has just two local government?
Why is Kosofe Local government not having a University, Atiosa, Ikeja and the rest of that?
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by MetaPhysical: 6:11am On May 29, 2019
Rossikk:

Zik was not a regional leader, and was more of a nationalist, so you can see where he was coming from in terms of representation. The thing is, we've moved on since then, yet Onitsha is still found wanting where it comes to higher institutes of learning. I mean, given that the area specializes in trade, commerce, and industrial parts manufacturing, there should be at least a few top level business schools there by now, a few engineering institutes, and a university of commerce, where the people there can take their skills to the next level. I mean, a city like that should be getting comparable to Guangzhou in China, not sitting on its oars and making excuses, or worse, allowing itself to be distracted by half-baked activists like Nnamdi Kanu, and other separatist, ethnicity-obsessed reprobates and buffoons.

True, but even though your review is based in contemporary times the question nonetheless opens up a root issue around competencies and capacities that have always been there historically before and since the inception of Nigeria.

The key background in your question centers around urban planning and growth. Correct? Onitsha is an urban center and grows but certain aspects of social advancement is missing...i.e, citadels of learning.

Before now, in a past time what was Onitsha? What was its mood? What is Onitsha today....and what is its mood?

More importantly, there is a tier-1 University in Iboland. What informed its location in Nsukka and not Onitsha?

You cannot escape the past to answer questions about the now! grin
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Hotworta1: 6:15am On May 29, 2019
kernel01:

Good question. Need I remind you that Igbos has a civil war, it took Japan with the aid of America 30 years to recover, and today the king is back.

Even with the effect of the war, Igbos have the highest export of intellectuals of international standard in Nigeria.

1. Ngozi Okonjo - World Bank MD.
2. Arunma Other - Treasurer and a Vice President of the World Bank.
3. Chile Eboe Osuji - President International Criminal Court(ICC)
4. Chiammada Adiche
5. Obiageli Ezekwesili-Vice-President of the World Bank's Africa
6. Chinua Achebe
7. Philip Emeagwali

I challenge you to bring Yoruba names better than these ones on the international level. Even with the effects of war, you cannot match us.

After Wole Soyinka, who else do you have? In 15 years in three different exams you've not come close, and you're still talking.

Swidy, u dont need to go that lane with him...this doesn't call for a "name challenge". Don't drift into the snake's hole.

Ask him what the present and past govts have done in terms of development of infrastructure, technological know how, welfare of staff and students etc in the existing universities in the country.

You just took me down memory lane OP...in my university days i used to walk past an abandoned building of what used to be called the "University's refectory" back then in the 90's... filled with rusted plates,spoons and cups..each time i passed there i just ask myself "Nigeria what happened?"

Onitsha has a
Université of Trade and Investment...so carry ur observations to Sambisa.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by MetaPhysical: 6:19am On May 29, 2019
Hotworta1:

Lol ouch! e pain am.

Bro I am very sure your own House is on fire but u chose to chook your opolor eyes into another's house. Oloribuku!

Which god damned university?? Have your govt finished providing and taking care of the existing ones,Mr. OP?? Shoro niyen.

Onitsha has a university which u yourself can't see with ya two naked eyes...a university churning out legit billionaires on the daily...

I am so livid cos u ain't even asking a better and uplifting question...if u had asked of a SEA PORT for Onitsha...would have sent you a cooler of hot steaming oha soup but u chose to behave like a snake that you are...meandering like a gully erosion beyond repairs to ask irrelevant question.

Nna Université kee u dia!

You are ignaant (as my ghetto riders would say)!

The bold is like asking for an airport in Lagos Island.

Seaport in Onitsha is an impractical urban project and ought not to even appear in political discourse comparing notes on city planning and vision. You are ignaant! grin
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 6:20am On May 29, 2019
Hotworta1:

Swidy, u dont need to go that lane with him...this doesn't call for a "name challenge". Don't drift into the snake's hole.

Ask him what the present and past govts have done in terms of development of infrastructure, technological know how, welfare of staff and students etc in the existing universities in the country.

You just took me down memory lane OP...in my university days i used to walk past an abandoned building of what used to be called the "University's refectory" back then in the 90's... filled with rusted plates,spoons and cups..each time i passed there i just ask myself "Nigeria what happened?"

Onitsha has a
Université of Trade and Investment...so carry ur observations to Sambisa.

One son of fallen demon, of the brown roof republic was asking me what Igbo academic antecedent were before last15 years, that led to the list.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by MetaPhysical: 6:27am On May 29, 2019
kernel01:

You have more universities, but Eastern population perform better than you in all exams, why?

In academic excellence you are behind us. Your exam results are suspicious. We find this out when you enter University and fail to replicate your exam wizardry in higher learning and match it to academic performance.

Why is it only in exams proctored in East that you excel? Ibo students are in North, in West....how come they don't turn out with top bracket results as their kins in East? How come your wizardry starts and ends in the exam session....not in the three years before or the four to five years after? grin

We know what you do....we help you cover it up.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 6:30am On May 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

In academic excellence you are behind us. Your exam results are suspicious. We find this out when you enter University and fail to replicate your exam wizardry in higher learning and match it to academic performance.

Why is it only in exams proctored in East that you excel? Ibo students are in North, in West....how come they don't turn out with top bracket results as their kins in East? How come your wizardry starts and ends in the exam session....not in the three years before or the four to five years after? grin

We know what you do....we help you cover it up.

Why don't you challenge this name with better ones from land of light?

1. Ngozi Okonjo - World Bank MD.
2. Arunma Other - Treasurer and a Vice President of the World Bank.
3. Chile Eboe Osuji - President International Criminal Court(ICC)
4. Chiammada Adiche
5. Obiageli Ezekwesili-Vice-President of the World Bank's Africa
6. Chinua Achebe
7. Philip Emeagwali

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by vinco82(m): 6:33am On May 29, 2019
Afonja and camelion are five and six.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by NonsoWow: 6:39am On May 29, 2019
kernel01:

I doubt if you've resident in Onitsha before you wouldn't say that. There's no city as populated as Onitsha. Because of that 6 different markets where taken out of Onitsha, to decongest the city. The only market left in Onitsha is Main Market, Ochanja and Relief.

If I may ask you, do you know that Onitsha has just two local government?
Why is Kosofe Local government not having a University, Atiosa, Ikeja and the rest of that?
Onitsha has gone beyond Onitsha north and south. It now encompases Nkpor, Obosi, Ogidi, Nkwelle Ezunaka, Nsugbe, parts of Ogbaru. But apart from the college of education at Nsugbe, the health college in obosi and the metallurgical institute in obosi/onitsha, which are all tier 3 institutions, there is no tier 1 higher institution in onitsha metropolitan area. Tansian university in umunya is still a struggling upstart that won't create the needed impact that a state/federal owned tier 1 institution would.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by NonsoWow: 6:45am On May 29, 2019
And I almost forgot to mention @kernel that there is enough land within Onitsha to establish a university. The land near army barracks opp. eckankar that peter sold to traders to build an illegal market can be demolished and a very large university campus built there, though it shouldn't be very close to the road like the market is.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 6:46am On May 29, 2019
NonsoWow:
Onitsha has gone beyond Onitsha north and south. It now encompases Nkpor, Obosi, Ogidi, Nkwelle Ezunaka, Nsugbe, parts of Ogbaru. But apart from the college of education at Nsugbe, the health college in obosi and the metallurgical institute in obosi/onitsha, which are all tier 3 institutions, there is no tier 1 higher institution in onitsha metropolitan area. Tansian university in umunya is still a struggling upstart that won't create the needed impact that a state/federal owned tier 1 institution would.

Brother... Nkpor, Nnewi, Oba, Nsugbe are not Onitsha, but if you must take it from that angle, good.

Nsugbe... Nwafor Orizu College of Education, Nsugbe
Oko... Federal Polytechnic
Uri... Anambra state University
Akwa... Federal University
Okija... Madonna University
Obosi... Petroleum Institute of...
Are these cities, which one of them is more than N100 drive away from Onitsha?
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by ginovera: 7:00am On May 29, 2019
Hotworta1:

Lol ouch! e pain am.

Bro I am very sure your own House is on fire but u chose to chook your opolor eyes into another's house. Oloribuku!

Which god damned university?? Have your govt finished providing and taking care of the existing ones,Mr. OP?? Shoro niyen.

Onitsha has a university which u yourself can't see with ya two naked eyes...a university churning out legit billionaires on the daily...

I am so livid cos u ain't even asking a better and uplifting question...if u had asked of a SEA PORT for Onitsha...would have sent you a cooler of hot steaming oha soup but u chose to behave like a snake that you are...meandering like a gully erosion beyond repairs to ask irrelevant question.

Nna Université kee u dia!

Smiles.....i like and respect you. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 7:07am On May 29, 2019
We're they? The only scholar with international recognition in the West is Wole Soyinka.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Nobody: 7:33am On May 29, 2019
Rossikk:
This Biafra movement seems to have Onitsha as its hotbed and fulcrum, with most Ipob members either hailing from there, or drawing massive inspiration from the city.

The city has a population of 7.5 million. It also has NO university, NO polytechnic, NO higher institutes of learning whatsoever.

Onitsha has to be the biggest city on earth without a single higher institute of learning.

Could there be a link between this stunning level of ignorance and the chaotic, ethnic-based agitation for a breakaway republic against all common sense and reason?

[b]Who will bring HIGHER EDUCATION to Onitsha, and finally stop its people from being pawns of Kanu and other manipulative element[/b]s?

So universities or poly is now a criteria for been sane?

Are u okay at all?

Even the ones inside the ivory tower kill and murder themselves, is that they are not in a university.

U need a sound, I mean sound education.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 7:38am On May 29, 2019
Osagyefo98:

So universities or poly is now a criteria for been sane?

Are u okay at all?

Even the ones inside the ivory tower kill and murder themselves, is that they are not in a university.

U need a sound, I mean sound education.

Osage... How Benin today?
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Nobody: 7:39am On May 29, 2019
Rossikk:

You think I'm ''demeaning you'' by pointing out that the largest Igbo city on earth has not a single higher institute of learning?

You should feel demeaned, because it is a disgrace.

How many is in Ur homtown before I enroll you back to junior secondary school for sound learning.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Nobody: 7:44am On May 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Very good question.
When West was building institutions of higher learning for its citizens, rather than do same in East, Ibos were preoccupied with becoming VCs in the institutions built in West; they abandoned a more pressing needs at home and dug down into a race to be "first". While they achieved the "firsts", till date, they have never recovered from the "deficiencies" caused by their neglect and lack of vision. UNN did not have a capacity to match Unilag, UI, OAU, YabaTech; Ibo became casualty of migration to get education in West. Thus when you look at a list of Who is Who in Iboland, rare to find one who did not school in Yorubaland. Laxity of Onitsha is on record as one of the casualties of Azikiwe's greed and covetousness for another man's possession.

Lame and lame.

Your argument holds no water.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Nobody: 7:45am On May 29, 2019
kernel01:

Osage... How Benin today?

And you also need a proper education.

I hate stark illiterates quoting me.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Collins4u1(m): 7:45am On May 29, 2019
Op we've school of Business there. Go there and learn how to make money.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 7:49am On May 29, 2019
Osagyefo98:

And you also need a proper education.

Baba Segey... Iducation you mean?
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Nobody: 9:11am On May 29, 2019
kernel01:

Baba Segey... Iducation you mean?

You need proper education.

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Masterppower: 9:12am On May 29, 2019
These people are the looters of Lagos Treasury...... Check this Nairaland link..

https://www.nairaland.com/5212865/lagos-using-corrupt-firms-collect#78818017
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Gmajor(m): 9:38am On May 29, 2019
Rossikk:

By your logic, the best way to arrest this poverty is to have no universities or polytechnics? Or what are you saying? A lot of those statistics are due to the problems in the north, anyway, so this point of yours is diversionary. Face the issue and stop dodging.

If there was no higher institution in Anambra state, you will have a point. However, Anambra state has almost 15 institutions of higher learning.
Anambra state is also one of the smallest states in Nigeria which means that the distance between places is a lot shorter.
We all know that Anambra state always dominates almost all states in most external exams which would imply that they are educational sound (by Nigerian standards anyway).

The truth is that you are a pseudo-intellectual. You think you know, but you are the worst type of ignoramus.

Next time, make sure that you think things through before you come online to embarrass yourself.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by lordlugards: 3:45pm On May 29, 2019
Rossikk:
This Biafra movement seems to have Onitsha as its hotbed and fulcrum, with most Ipob members either hailing from there, or drawing massive inspiration from the city.

The city has a population of 7.5 million. It also has NO university, NO polytechnic, NO higher institutes of learning whatsoever.

Onitsha has to be the biggest city on earth without a single higher institute of learning.

Could there be a link between this stunning level of ignorance and the chaotic, ethnic-based agitation for a breakaway republic against all common sense and reason?

Who will bring HIGHER EDUCATION to Onitsha, and finally stop its people from being pawns of Kanu and other manipulative elements?

Firstly tell us how many universities u have in Lagos island and ikeja, and I will tell u how ignorant u were to think u are making sence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by kernel01: 5:33pm On May 29, 2019
Osagyefo98:

You need proper education.

I'm too lettered for catachrestic and inerudite like you. The use of English, requires proper use of punctuation marks.

Imagine your write up below, Professor Nzeogu.

Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by d33types: 9:34pm On May 29, 2019
Rossikk:

Who will bring HIGHER EDUCATION to Onitsha, and finally stop its people from being pawns of Kanu and other manipulative elements?

I marvel at this level of faux intellectualism being exhibited on a public forum by this "popcorn for brains" guy/girl.

By your logic, every populated town or metropolis should have a university? Have you heard of niche communities?

Trading town of Onitsha
University town of Abraka (having nothing else but the university) .etc
These niches were created to allow for diversity of population.
If there was everything necessary for life in Onitsha for instance, how would you encourage travel and distribution of resources?

It is important that there are adequate service points for education, which Onitsha has in abundance. So what's your point?.
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Mohammedekete: 10:56pm On May 29, 2019
adadike:
So all the universities around Onitsha is not enough for you? Op, stay on your lane o. Asiri agu wa go gi. If we decide to cite a mahadum at Onitsha, you will still be the one to shout ' igbo people and pollution are like 5 and 6, Igbos are wicked and other thrash you all spew here.
a mythological institute is located at onitsha ,Nwafor orizu college of education
Re: Why Does Onitsha Have No Universities Or Polytechnics? by Kayprincefav: 10:55pm On Mar 16, 2021
ANSPOLY Post-UTME Screening Form for 2020/2021 2nd-Batch

This to notify candidates seeking admission that the Anambra State Polytechnic, ANSPOLY Post-UTME screening form is currently on sale for the 2020/2021 academic session. The management of Anambra State Polytechnic ANSPOLY, Mgbakwu has announced the sales of admission application forms for the 2020/2021 Academic Session and Post UTME Screening into her National Diploma ND Programmes.
read more here [https://www.latestadmissionnews.com.ng/anspoly-post-utme-screening-form-for-2020-2021-2nd-batch/]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB: THE Best And Poorest Result So Fat / 10 Things You Should Never Search On Google / Ebonyi State University Predegree Admission List Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.