Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) (10932 Views)

Why Saraki Was In Our Office – EFCC / See How Saraki Was Received As He Arrives Iiorin Despite His Defeat(photos) / The Cultists Saraki Was Accused Of Sponsoring, Paraded By Police (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by BleedingPen: 11:24am On May 30, 2019
Did you know that Senate President Bukola Saraki was “Acting President” of Nigeria for approximately 10 hours?.

Yes, constitutionally, President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s tenure elapsed midnight May 28, so from one minute past 12, May 29 till 10:30am when Buhari and Osinbajo were sworn-in for a second term, Nigeria had no President nor Vice President.

Igbere TV had reported that President Buhari and VP Osinbajo were sworn-in for a second term on Wednesday at a low-key event at the Eagle Square, Abuja.

Reacting, Osinbajo at a dinner organised in honour of President Buhari and himself, at the State House Banquet Hall, thanked Saraki for not taking advantage of the vacuum in power before the presidential inauguration.

He said: “Something interesting happened earlier today; I am a lawyer and a law teacher and I like to test and interrogate legal scenarios.

“At one minute past midnight today, the four-year term of the President and I ended by effluxion of time.

“So, from one minute past 12 of last night, May 29 to about 10:30 am when we were sworn in for a second term there was no President or Vice President.

“Interestingly nothing went wrong, all was okay; when such a situation arises, it is the Senate President who acts as President.

“So, when I arrived at Eagle Square this morning, some may have noticed that the Senate President and I were enjoying a joke.

“He said to me jokingly ‘You better be careful, you know I’m the acting President now’; so, we thank the Senate President for not doing anything funny.’’

Igbere TV State House correspondent observed that Buhari was conspicuously absent at the dinner held in his honour.

http://igberetvnews.com/728061/may-29-saraki-was-acting-president-for-10-hours-see-how/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by SocialJustice: 11:35am On May 30, 2019
There was little he could have done even if he wanted to.

6 Likes

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Sirmuel1(m): 11:48am On May 30, 2019
He should have done the needful! sad

6 Likes

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by danny56: 11:56am On May 30, 2019
That's irrelevant now.... Nothing changed!! sad

1 Like

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by KnowAll(m): 12:00pm On May 30, 2019
His own tenure too would have ended now. Abi I lie!

2 Likes

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by ChristianNorth: 12:04pm On May 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
He could have signed the Electoral Act Buhari refused to sign and it would have the full backing of the law unless repealed by the NASS.

Any argument you guys would throw up would be left for our court to decide.

5 Likes

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by SocialJustice: 12:22pm On May 30, 2019
ChristianNorth:

He could have signed the Electoral Act Buhari refused to sign and it would have the full backing of the law unless repealed by the NASS.

You sit wherever you are and just imagine stuff. You think these things is as easy as just signing with the bureaucracy involved.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by mu2sa2: 2:00pm On May 30, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Where will he see the Bills which are in Buhari's custody? He was only acting in legal theory.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by chloride6: 2:09pm On May 30, 2019
Nope he was never president..

1 Like

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Uncleodi(m): 2:30pm On May 30, 2019
mu2sa2:
Where will he see the Bills which are in Buhari's custody? He was only acting in legal theory.

Was it not him that sent the said Bills to the president? Or do you think he doesn't have his own copy (ies)
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by sammychimex(m): 2:44pm On May 30, 2019
Lie let's say he was sworn in at 10:29am on 29 may 2015, then his tenure would expire 10:28:59am on may 29 2023, it's a four year term, he should be careful with such utterance before a greedy fellow will capitalize on it future

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by mu2sa2: 2:57pm On May 30, 2019
Uncleodi:

Was it not him that sent the said Bills to the president? Or do you think he doesn't have his own copy (ies)
You should have advised him when he was "acting president" in fairy tale.

2 Likes

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by PLATO1U(m): 2:57pm On May 30, 2019
But, could the fear of SARAKI hijacking the government made the democracy program to be short span. After 11, they are done. Shortest inauguration program gave watched.
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by iJhoe(m): 2:58pm On May 30, 2019
funny? What if he had done something would have laughed? Or were u expecting something funny to be done perhaps, ''drastic'' was the word u were looking for Mr. V.P. U sound altruistic to the popular belief that Saraki is ur worst nightmare
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Mahsums: 3:00pm On May 30, 2019
Acting president of biafra
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Bimpe29: 3:29pm On May 30, 2019
Lol! No shaking.

Next level here we come. No blame game on the past administration.

1 Like

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by budaatum: 4:49pm On May 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
Please tell them o. They think Nigeria that he would take over belongs to Buhari, yet when the same Buhari rides to inauguration in expensive merc they will shout "na we money im take buy am", remembering it's their Nigeria like if Saraki does take over we will not go and take our country back from him and burn him sef like we burn thief on the streets!
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Adeoludt(m): 5:50pm On May 30, 2019
Ok
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by ayusco85(m): 5:52pm On May 30, 2019
Will he now be counted among the ex presidents of the shit hole? If not then it's inconsequential
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:13pm On May 30, 2019
well he wouldn't have done anything within 10 hours except he wants Nigeria to end dat moments...it would have been a case of "to your tents oh Nigerians!
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by KingOfAllIgbos: 6:25pm On May 30, 2019
mu2sa2:

ChristianNorth isn't particularly bright grin

You dey mind am ? grin
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by abbaapple: 9:52pm On May 30, 2019
angry

Wow!!! Very educative lipsrsealed I learned gaskia!
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by MetaPhysical: 10:44pm On May 30, 2019
BleedingPen:
Did you know that Senate President Bukola Saraki was “Acting President” of Nigeria for approximately 10 hours?.

Yes, constitutionally, President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s tenure elapsed midnight May 28, so from one minute past 12, May 29 till 10:30am when Buhari and Osinbajo were sworn-in for a second term, Nigeria had no President nor Vice President.

Igbere TV had reported that President Buhari and VP Osinbajo were sworn-in for a second term on Wednesday at a low-key event at the Eagle Square, Abuja.

Reacting, Osinbajo at a dinner organised in honour of President Buhari and himself, at the State House Banquet Hall, thanked Saraki for not taking advantage of the vacuum in power before the presidential inauguration.

He said: “Something interesting happened earlier today; I am a lawyer and a law teacher and I like to test and interrogate legal scenarios.

“At one minute past midnight today, the four-year term of the President and I ended by effluxion of time.

“So, from one minute past 12 of last night, May 29 to about 10:30 am when we were sworn in for a second term there was no President or Vice President.

“Interestingly nothing went wrong, all was okay; when such a situation arises, it is the Senate President who acts as President.

“So, when I arrived at Eagle Square this morning, some may have noticed that the Senate President and I were enjoying a joke.

“He said to me jokingly ‘You better be careful, you know I’m the acting President now’; so, we thank the Senate President for not doing anything funny.’’

Igbere TV State House correspondent observed that Buhari was conspicuously absent at the dinner held in his honour.

http://igberetvnews.com/728061/may-29-saraki-was-acting-president-for-10-hours-see-how/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J

grin
If you want to display your ignorance about the constitution please choose a different time, not so soon after the whole nation performed a constitutional rite and inaugurated a president.

The office was not vacant. How could Saraki occupy it, in whatever capacity?

Im going to soon start a civic class to teach constitution and process. People like you should enroll and pay me to learn a knowledge thats openly accessible and free since you lack intelligence.
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by MetaPhysical: 11:33pm On May 30, 2019
cool

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Susu888(m): 12:43am On May 31, 2019
So make we fry garri? undecided
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by FriendNG: 12:54am On May 31, 2019
Saraki was not acting as any president. Prof has disappointed with all his law professorship.

Was he called to the stage on may 29 as ex vice president before he was sworn in for the second time?

The fact is the current president/vp remain the president/vp up until they are sworn in again or May 29 by 11:59.

1 Like

Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by Babacele: 5:19am On May 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:
cool
what does 135(1)d mean sir?
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by adekolaelect(m): 5:32am On May 31, 2019
To me Sarakis position /seat too was vacant bcs his tenure too had expired the day the executive s tenures expired. Executive and legislators' have the same date of offices expiration.pls any meaningful correction or contribution is welcome .
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by nabiz(m): 5:34am On May 31, 2019
MetaPhysical:

grin
If you want to display your ignorance about the constitution please choose a different time, not so soon after the whole nation performed a constitutional rite and inaugurated a president.

The office was not vacant. How could Saraki occupy it, in whatever capacity?

Im going to soon start a civic class to teach constitution and process. People like you should enroll and pay me to learn a knowledge thats openly accessible and free since you lack intelligence.
the time u spent in writing this your rubbish would have been valuable if you have used it to educate an ignorant like me on what the constitution say about this issue
Re: May 29: Saraki Was Acting President For 10 Hours (see How) by cdqyehyeh(m): 5:35am On May 31, 2019
Illiterate makes the loudest noise, Op u know nothing at all at all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seven Ekiti APC Aspirants Withdraw Amid Protest, Call For Cancellation / Kidnapped ESUT VC Finally Released / You Are Jittery, PDP Tells APC over INEC Server hacking allegations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.