Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha (28101 Views)

Update On Zamfara State Governorship Results / Zamfara, Rivers APC Remain Banned – INEC / We Have No Candidates For Zamfara, Rivers - INEC Replies APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Ebullience(m): 9:02pm On May 30, 2019
By Wale Odunsi

Professor of Law, Itse Sagay (SAN) has urged the All Progressives Congress (APC) legal team to apply to the Supreme Court for a review of its judgments on Zamfara and Rivers States.

According to him, the verdicts were a travesty of justice.

While the Supreme Court barred the APC from fielding candidates for the general elections, it nullified APC’s victory and declared Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) the winner.

A statement he issued on Thursday said: “The Zamfara and Rivers State judgments are a national tragedy. We should not allow our legal system to throw up such unimaginable injustice.

“This major judicial disenfranchisement of the Zamfara and Rivers electorate should be reversed. I advise the APC legal team to apply for a review of the two judgments.

“Their Lordships ought to be given an opportunity to reverse this unprecedented tragedy.

“The prefix ‘Justice’ preceding he names of Supreme Court and Court of Appeal Judges is significant, for it prescribes what they stand for and what they represent: Justice!

“By this judgment, the landslide APC victories in the governorship, Senate, House of Representative and State House of Assembly are transferred to the PDP.

“If the APC primaries were defective, should the electorate be deprived of their democratic and Constitutional rights to vote? Is the electorate to be punished for the transgressions of party officials?

“Should the Judiciary replace the electorate’s decision and install losers in office? Could the Judiciary not have drawn on the deep recesses of its intellectual capacity, authority and its inexorable commitment to justice, to prevent this undemocratic calamity?

“Can the APC officials not be punished, for their lapses without denying the electorate their democratic rights? Should the Judiciary take over the electoral rights of the electorate? Is this not a clear case of technical law completely overthrowing justice?

“Have the members of the Supreme Court not achieved a level of creativity and authority to provide a solution without burying democracy and taking over from the registered voters as the judicial electorate?

“If this judgment had been an international one, it could have been described as ‘shocking the conscience of humanity’. In this case, it shocks the conscience of Nigerian humanity.”

Sagay said the Supreme Court is specially endowed with the power and authority to do justice and to ignore law when it is technical and would create injustice, and to avoid at all cost a mechanical approach to the interpretation of the law.

“Now, has justice been served in Rivers and Zamfara states? No! In one case innocent electorate in their hundreds of thousands were prevented from voting for their party by judicial order.

“In Zamfara, where voting took place, the verdict of the electorate was taken away from the victorious party and awarded by the Judiciary to the woeful losers.

“In the next four years, Zamfara State will be governed by a party and politicians rejected by the electorate. This indeed shocks the conscience of Nigerian humanity.”

He also referred to Section 140(1) – (3) of the Electoral Act, which prohibits any court from declaring a loser of an election elected even if the person with the highest votes was not validly elected.

“I am not interested in the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010. I am only deeply concerned and interested in the fundamental and peremptory principle of Justice.

“No Judge should announce his judgment until he is satisfied that Justice has been served, no matter how strong the pull of mechanical and technical law,” Sagay added.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/05/30/sagay-explodes-supreme-court-verdicts-zamfara-rivers-tells-apc/

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by indigenous234(f): 9:04pm On May 30, 2019
Medicine after death

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by mrnigerdelta: 9:05pm On May 30, 2019
shut up idiot

159 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by vengertime: 9:46pm On May 30, 2019
This fool and his ugly mouth. No one has your time.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Paperwhite(m): 9:56pm On May 30, 2019
Just imagine what this loud-mouthed fool is saying What precedence does Sagay wants to set? How did this man became a constitutional lawyer, prof, SAN and Chair of the Presidential Action Committee Against Corruption(PACAC) under this government?

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Paperwhite(m): 9:56pm On May 30, 2019
Masterppower:
This idiot is a professor of foolishness and stupidity.What a waste of Prof title.

If this is the type of educated illiterates APC relies on for advice, then I don't pity them at all.No wonder buhari has been a failure
That is ehen! angry This government is really filled with incredibly stupid and senseless people.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by yipata: 10:05pm On May 30, 2019
You said it all sir #profsagay

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by BekeeBuAgbara: 10:07pm On May 30, 2019
Where was this man in 2007 when the supreme court ruled that Rotimi Amaechi should be sworn in as the governor of Rivers state despite not taking part in the governorship election, even though Celestine Omehia won the election he was removed from office because the court ruled that Amaechi won the PDP primary not Omehia, the votes of the people that voted for Omehia became waste

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by yipata: 10:10pm On May 30, 2019
Many thanks to you sir. You said it all.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by gratiaeo(m): 10:16pm On May 30, 2019
No wonder APC is what they are today, this man is a complete old man without a common sense

40 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by JohnFrankling(m): 6:27am On May 31, 2019
Prof. Wey no wise.

18 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by deomelo: 6:40am On May 31, 2019
What's APCs internal issues got to do with general election and winning and losing at the polls.?

How do you award victory to losers and deny the electorates their constitutional rights just because of internal party issues with nothing to do with the election against the in other party.?

Compromised and corrupt clowns .

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Blazebond(m): 7:00am On May 31, 2019
Na dis man suppose marry laurreta onochie,both of them na crase.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by samstradam: 7:02am On May 31, 2019
As usual Nigerians missing the crux of the arguement.

On my own part I am very happy that Yari and his violence loving followers have been dislodged but the question remains was natural justice meted out.

Is it just for someone who scored 20% of the vote to be foisted as elected because you want to show polticians? Is it only politicians that he will rule or a majority of the state that has been effectively disenfranchised and tricked by our flawed justice system?

The term "wasted votes" is so disgusting to come from learned judges who are suppose to be the last defenders and direct beneficiaries of this democracy- by this they have mocked the 2nd highest court in the land and put the onus on the electorate to become "justices" by discerning which court rulings to obey and which ones to reject. As at the day of the election and the constitution of Nigeria, the electorate were legally allowed to vote for APC and I dare anyone to dispute this.

This just goes down as another shameful ruling from the supreme court though probably less shameful the one one that made Amaechi governor for an election he never campaigned in.

The funny thing is that most people supporting this injustice are doing so on party lines but I wonder how they will feel when the new governor finally decamps back to his APC. Then they will understand the script and finally see the handwriting on the wall. Pathetic.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Nobody: 7:11am On May 31, 2019
Chasing a lost cause ..

4 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by chidemavian: 7:18am On May 31, 2019
The MAGNAMITY of our electoral system permitted the APC field a candidate, were the laws strictly applied in this situation where party primaries were snubbed in order to feature candidates who would have failed woefully at primaries, and if the law was quick to act , they wouldn't have made it to the final day.

Now having swindled there way through a rogue process,to emerge at the elections, they are seeking to further their illegality, by laying claim to a mandate they do not deserve.

The law says.......if u fail to have a primary election, u won't feature in the general election, period

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by bastardmod: 7:23am On May 31, 2019
Useless old fool

16 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Starboytwo(m): 7:56am On May 31, 2019
Happy birthday to me boy....

Wanna go to a nice restaurant with my babe, that's all I want...

Somebody make that happen smiley

2 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by kaen1317: 7:57am On May 31, 2019
Old fool
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by aare07(m): 7:57am On May 31, 2019
B
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by BackToLife: 7:57am On May 31, 2019
Blazebond:
Na dis man suppose marry laurreta onochie,both of them na crase.
Are you wishing his marriage should collapse?
He's a married man already.

As a sincere appreciation, I want to say a big thank you to the guy supplying this. I'm really enjoying mine.

4 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by ednut1(m): 7:58am On May 31, 2019
Sir i used your books for business law those days and they made sense. I now doubt you wrote them

22 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Opinedecandid(m): 7:58am On May 31, 2019
St
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by bestman09(m): 7:58am On May 31, 2019
Foolish prof. Apparently trying hard to be made the minister of justice

7 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by JejeNaija(m): 7:59am On May 31, 2019
Abeg who is the moderator that ban me? What was my offence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:59am On May 31, 2019
Ok
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Nobody: 8:00am On May 31, 2019
Lawyers who question the supreme court

Should be derobed

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by SocialJustice: 8:00am On May 31, 2019
Ugly man running his mouth like tap. Are the justices responsible for APC behaving like a spoilt brat and bring unable to conduct internal election?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The IED Detectors, Other Items Donated By German Govt To Nigerian Army. PICS / My Daughter Iyabo Will Not Take Nonsense From Anyone – Olusegun Obasanjo / Breaking News: Senator Douye Diri Wins PDP Primary In Bayelsa State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.