Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha (28105 Views)

Update On Zamfara State Governorship Results / Zamfara, Rivers APC Remain Banned – INEC / We Have No Candidates For Zamfara, Rivers - INEC Replies APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by rusher14: 8:30am On May 31, 2019
RemiTinubu:
cly me a liver grin

Hope you would say this when the governor decamps to APC
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by seguno2: 8:31am On May 31, 2019
Masterppower:
This idiot is a professor of foolishness and stupidity.

What a waste of Prof title.

If this is the type of educated illiterates APC relies on for advice, then I don't pity them at all.

No wonder buhari has been a failure

Biggest idiot to ever live.
Is he not the one who said that forgery is not corruption because Kemi Adeosun was involved
Crazy people who are misleading us.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by bencr7: 8:32am On May 31, 2019
Last last diz man no get sense
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by bobolistica(m): 8:33am On May 31, 2019
all i hear is blah blah blah
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by aod1(m): 8:34am On May 31, 2019
This sagay is just mad. He makes unguarded utterances. So cos he doesn't want the supreme court to "disenfranchise" Zamfara voter's, the law that says part should hold credible primaries with inec as witness should be jettisoned? The people in Zamfara who voted apc voted knowing this outcome was possible. Abi in the case of Rivers, supreme court should have handpicked candidates for apc when they all failed to agree on who is who?. I doubt if this guy deserves his SAN title

2 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by callthefred: 8:39am On May 31, 2019
You surely do have a point but unfortunately no society can move forward without adherence to the rule of law. Do you know that Akerodolu won Abrahams in Ondo APC primary suit simply because latter's legal team filed their application by a single day late?. I've had experience wherein someone remained permanently banned from entering the U.S. because his visa lottery appeal was delayed by a day thanks to useless UPS courier service?

All these issues aren't new both in Nigeria and elsewhere, INEC had announced these dates a year before hand but these governors and party leaders believe they are much more power than the law. You just have to pay it. As painful as it is, the blame itself should be on the APC leadership who were obviously trying to impose candidates and thereby changing the rules and scheming their opponents. Mind you both in Rivers and Zamfara. The members of the party took their parties to court not even PDP members.
samstradam:
As usual Nigerians missing the crux of the arguement.

On my own part I am very happy that Yari and his violence loving followers have been dislodged but the question remains was natural justice meted out.

Is it just for someone who scored 20% of the vote to be foisted as elected because you want to show polticians? Is it only politicians that he will rule or a majority of the state that has been effectively disenfranchised and tricked by our flawed justice system?

The term "wasted votes" is so disgusting to come from learned judges who are suppose to be the last defenders and direct beneficiaries of this democracy- by this they have mocked the 2nd highest court in the land and put the onus on the electorate to become "justices" by discerning which court rulings to obey and which ones to reject. As at the day of the election and the constitution of Nigeria, the electorate were legally allowed to vote for APC and I dare anyone to dispute this.

This just goes down as another shameful ruling from the supreme court though probably less shameful the one one that made Amaechi governor for an election he never campaigned in.

The funny thing is that most people supporting this injustice are doing so on party lines but I wonder how they will feel when the new governor finally decamps back to his APC. Then they will understand the script and finally see the handwriting on the wall. Pathetic.

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by ChristianNorth: 8:39am On May 31, 2019
samstradam:

On my own part I am very happy that Yari and his violence loving followers have been dislodged but the question remains was natural justice meted out.

Is it just for someone who scored 20% of the vote to be foisted as elected because you want to show polticians? Is it only politicians that he will rule or a majority of the state that has been effectively disenfranchised and tricked by our flawed justice system?

The term "wasted votes" is so disgusting to come from learned judges who are suppose to be the last defenders and direct beneficiaries of this democracy- by this they have mocked the 2nd highest court in the land and put the onus on the electorate to become "justices" by discerning which court rulings to obey and which ones to reject. As at the day of the election and the constitution of Nigeria, the electorate were legally allowed to vote for APC and I dare anyone to dispute this.

This just goes down as another shameful ruling from the supreme court though probably less shameful the one one that made Amaechi governor for an election he never campaigned in.

The funny thing is that most people supporting this injustice are doing so on party lines but I wonder how they will feel when the new governor finally decamps back to his APC. Then they will understand the script and finally see the handwriting on the wall. Pathetic.

What would you have them do? Order a re-run between PDP and other parties?

Then who would govern the state after 29th May? I guess, spirits. FYI, the primary role of the Supreme Court is to uphold our laws, defend our democracy and ensure natural justice to all and to this, the court is vested with legislative responsibility to repeal any section of the law at the material time would threaten any of those 3 core responsibilities through an instrument known as judicial precedent.

The Court has effectively repealed Section 140 to ensure that there would be a continuity of government in Zamfara and there verdict has become an extant law from the time it was pronounced.

As of the time the election was carried out, a subsisting court order permits APC to run but Supreme court exists to correct the follies of the lower court.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by chocolatelady(f): 8:41am On May 31, 2019
ChristianNorth:
This idiots forgot that the Supreme Court is not just any court. They are vested with legislative responsibility through the instrument of judicial precedent.

Law is what the Supreme Court pronounces it to be not what the Legislature passes and Executive assents. The supreme Court has the power to repeal any section of our laws without recourse to the Legislature or Executive, so effectively, Section 140 of the Electoral Act stands repealed.

No law is cast on stone, the Supreme Court can set aside any section of the law, anytime and anyday in the interest of natural justice and continuity of government. If the dude didn't skip his legal classes he would have known that.

The verdict was given about 24 hours before the end of Yari's tenure. If the Supreme Court had called for a fresh election, there would have been a constitutional crisis. Who would have been sworn in as interim Governor?
I am not a lawyer but I think that supreme court goofed on this one. The best bet is to wait after inauguration and order a fresh election. They can still reserve the judgement on a latter date just as they normally do. Giving the sore losers the winner is pure disenfranchisement of the whole state that voted for the APC. The case of Amechi vs Omehia is totally different. Applying the rule of supreme court on zamfara to their case means that Amechi shouldn't have been declared the governor elect but the opposition party that came 2nd in the election. I have never heard of wasted votes before except from this present set of supreme court judges. Just like Sagay suggested, APC should apply for the review of the justice. But I fear that the egoistic nature of the supreme court judges might not allow them to reverse itself. The ruling in Zamfara is unheard of.

1 Like

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Neduzze5(m): 8:42am On May 31, 2019
BackToLife:
Are you wishing his marriage should collapse?
He's a married man already.

As a sincere appreciation, I want to say a big thank you to the guy supplying this. I'm really enjoying mine.

How much did you buy it?
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by BabaO2: 8:42am On May 31, 2019
mrnigerdelta:
shut up idiot
@moderator, Justice must be served here.
This guy must be suspended

1 Like

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Uncleodi(m): 8:43am On May 31, 2019
deomelo:
What's APCs internal issues got to do with general election and winning and losing at the polls.?

How do you award victory to losers and deny the electorates their constitutional rights just because of internal party issues with nothing to do with the election against the in other party.?

Compromised and corrupt clowns .

Does it mean that Primaries election should be scrapped?

There should be consequences of not conducting transparent Primaries
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Skhibanj1015(m): 8:47am On May 31, 2019
I guess it is difficult for you to comprehend? These cases are clearly different. Omehia and Ameachi were of the same party while Zamfara 's case is not so.

BekeeBuAgbara:
Where was this man in 2007 when the supreme court ruled that Rotimi Amaechi should be sworn in as the governor of Rivers state despite not taking part in the governorship election, even though Celestine Omehia won the election he was removed from office because the court ruled that Amaechi won the PDP primary not Omehia, the votes of the people that voted for Omehia became waste
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by sapientia(m): 8:51am On May 31, 2019
ChristianNorth:

What would you have them do? Order a re-run between PDP and other parties?

Then who would govern the state after 29th May? I guess, spirits. FYI, the primary role of the Supreme Court is to uphold our laws, defend our democracy and ensure natural justice to all and to this, the court is vested with legislative responsibility to repeal any section of the law at the material time would threaten any of those 3 core responsibilities through an instrument known as judicial precedent.

The Court has effectively repealed Section 140 to ensure that there would be a continuity of government in Zamfara and there verdict has become an extant law from the time it was pronounced.

As of the time the election was carried out, a subsisting court order permits APC to run but Supreme court exists to correct the follies of the lower court.

Tnx for the explanations.

I don't follow you for nothing.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by 12345baba(m): 8:51am On May 31, 2019
Wherever he exploded they should keep his intestine for me na that part i wan chop. Stupid nairaland caption
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by sammhi(m): 8:52am On May 31, 2019
deomelo:
What's APCs internal issues got to do with general election and winning and losing at the polls.?

How do you award victory to losers and deny the electorates their constitutional rights just because of internal party issues with nothing to do with the election against the in other party.?

You not thinking smart
If Barcelona field a player that was banned and they won the cup , would they be allowed to ? No FIFA would award the cup to the runner up simple
When the USA 2004 Olympic relay team was found to have used banned substances....their good medal was removed and given to the second runner up .
Simple .if you can't obey rules , you loose
Even in a league game , if you filed a banned player , loose or win you would get points deducted. This is a normal rule anywhere
Even the Bible says no man partaking of a race receives the crown except he has ran according to the rules .simple
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by oluwaahmed: 9:06am On May 31, 2019
deomelo:

Pls I am kinda confused help me answer. I know that the appeal court banned APC from fielding candidates in zamfara because primaries were not conducted according to the provisions of the cosntitution, so was there any other judgement that set aside the ban on APC in zamfara before they contested the elections? because if they contested election despite a cort order barring them from doing so, then that in itself is illegal.
The Supreme Court validated the judgement of the Court of Appeal, Sokoto Division, which ruled that no valid primaries were conducted by the APC in Zamfara State.
Also the idea of sagay saying that internal politics should not affect anything is totally wrong. INEC a creation from the constitution has laws and bye-laws that govern the conduct of elections whether primaries or not.
The judgement did well and the judiciary has shown that there are still some honorable men.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by ChristianNorth: 9:11am On May 31, 2019
chocolatelady:
I am not a lawyer but I think that supreme court goofed on this one. The best bet is to wait after inauguration and order a fresh election. They can still reserve the judgement on a latter date just as they normally do. Giving the sore losers the winner is pure disenfranchisement of the whole state that voted for the APC. The case of Amechi vs Omehia is totally different. Applying the rule of supreme court on zamfara to their case means that Amechi shouldn't have been declared the governor elect but the opposition party that came 2nd in the election. I have never heard of wasted votes before except from this present set of supreme court judges. Just like Sagay suggested, APC should apply for the review of the justice. But I fear that the egoistic nature of the supreme court judges might not allow them to reverse itself. The ruling in Zamfara is unheard of.
In law, delayed justice is injustice.

In Amechi's case, a primary was validly conducted. The case before the court was to decide who was validly elected at the state convention. In the case of Zamfara, the Crux was on the validity of the convention not legitimacy of candidates.

APC in line with INEC guideline were not qualified to stand for any elective post but a subsisting judgment of a lower court erroneously smuggled APC into the ballot, Supreme Court only prevented an impostor from taking over power.

If Supreme Court had ordered for a re-run, only the Speaker is line of succession and his tenure will end June 12th and since a re-run had been ordered for all elective positions, there would have been no other person in line of succession after June 12th and you can never use an unelected person to head democratic institutions.

The Executive and Legislature of Zamfara would have been paralyzed if the Supreme court had not ruled the way they did.

Their judgment is masterstroke and a win for democracy.

Cc: Deomole
Rusher14

1 Like

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Bluntemperor: 9:16am On May 31, 2019
Bravo Professor.I love your points of objections.Read the Prof.Sagay articulated and distinct points of law and I quote' should the electorates who elected those representing them be subjected to ridiculous laws and their wishes be transferred to their opponents' . Summary of Prof Saga argument.That is what Nigerians law has reduced us to.Pray you have nothing to do with the Courts.
Recently,a new twist,dynamic move is added in the USA-Judiciary,where many Cases up to Supreme Court are reviewing those who might have been wrongly jailed,wrongly indicted,in fact on the wrong side of the Law,which may not be due to their own making.This is a novelty! This should be adopted in Nigeria but I have my doubts if such can exist because when you consider the years a case goes on at our Courts,you pray that you never ask your enemies to go there.May God help Nigeria.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by masseratti: 9:17am On May 31, 2019
BekeeBuAgbara:
Where was this man in 2007 when the supreme court ruled that Rotimi Amaechi should be sworn in as the governor of Rivers state despite not taking part in the governorship election, even though Celestine Omehia won the election he was removed from office because the court ruled that Amaechi won the PDP primary not Omehia, the votes of the people that voted for Omehia became waste
I tìre ooo... The NBA and NJC should look into a way to stop lawyers from making ungauarded statements, how can a professor of law says he is not interested in a law why the hell is he a lawyer then? If he has reservations he should contact his rep to amend the law at the assembly, the judges don't make the law they only interpret it.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by JimohMomoh: 9:23am On May 31, 2019
Masterppower:

If this is the type of educated illiterates APC relies on for advice, then I don't pity them at all.

The guy was very good before, very constructive and neutral in his judgements and comments but since he joined APC/Zombies it seems an undiscovered virus affected his brain.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by RichBoy247: 9:25am On May 31, 2019
mrnigerdelta:
shut up idiot

Mention one person from your 10th generation past till date who can sit where Prof. Sagay sits. Just one person in your linage.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by TGM2015: 9:29am On May 31, 2019
BekeeBuAgbara:
PDP won the state, PDP candidates was substituted. The law recognized party not individuals. But in this case, party was substituted, this is unprecedented, I wish APC can apply for review so that we can know the position of the law on Transfer of mandate. Remember, there was no dispute on votes cast.
NB: I am not particular on whether they win or not but whether the fundamental right of majority of the electorates hasn't been denied. I read the news on how the civil servants in the state identified with the Governor.
What Supreme Court should have done is to rule that another elections be conducted without APC. Then the electorate can now decide whether to go for PDP or another party considering the percentage of voters that voted for APC.

1 Like

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by bluecircle470: 9:35am On May 31, 2019
Masterppower:

And you’re a prof of Mumu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by NaMeAboki: 9:37am On May 31, 2019
BekeeBuAgbara:

Votes belong to the party not an individual; in the above case there was a switch of flag-bearers only , between Omehia and Amaechi while party still retained its votes and victory; however, in the case of Zamfara the victory of the party that won was taken away and given to one that lost - therefore disenfranchising the majority of Zamfara ppl who voted for the winning party; in effect the supreme court installed a minority government against the expressed choice of the majority of the ppl - the two situations are fundamentally quite different.

1 Like

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by umuna(m): 9:40am On May 31, 2019
BekeeBuAgbara:

They are of same party brother and so it is a party affair; rather the court did not give it to the opposition party! I have never heard where a court we bar a whole party from contesting in an election, rather a court can nullify a candidate and give it to members of same party. something is wrong with the two judgment.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by drololaaof: 9:40am On May 31, 2019
Prof Sagay sir you talk of de enfranchisement of the electorate now ,but where are you when the party is committing illegality ,no primaries but want to foist preferred candidate on the people you are crying foul now, it seems you support their illegality. What is wrong is wrong.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Bright777: 9:44am On May 31, 2019
[quote author=samstradam post=78880816]As usual Nigerians missing the crux of the arguement.

You are on point Sir
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by chinedu234(m): 9:51am On May 31, 2019
So says one of the self adulating and overrated liliput.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by juigonoh(m): 9:51am On May 31, 2019
oga na cry you day car cool tongue cry
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by YorubaEmir: 9:59am On May 31, 2019
samstradam:

Constitutionally, APC is not supposed to field any candidate. Even if their candidate is the most qualified and more preferred, their technical mistake has cost them the election. The parties that complied with INEC guidelines, are they fools ? You want APC to be rewarded for their negligence?
What message are you trying to pass ? That if you fail to conduct your party primaries within the stipulated time, all you need to do is to participate in the election and the Supreme Court las las will rule in your favor?
The court in its ruling did the right thing. Disqualify their candidate and declare party with the second highest score the winner.
Some fools even suggest a re-election. That’s a way of legalizing impunity.... oh las las na re-election.... at the expense of tax paying citizens?
You want INEC to budget another millions for election and subject the citizens to another hardship and risk of voting because a party foolishly or arrogantly failed to conduct its primaries?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IPOB Breathes Fire: Our Members Have Orders To Attack Igbo Govs Abroad / Lagos State Government's Statement On Attempt To Evict Residents Of Magodo / Atiku Is Not A Decent Man For Dragging Tinubu To Chicago Court - Temitope Ajayi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.