Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,507 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha (28118 Views)

Zamfara, Rivers Judgments A National Tragedy, Should Be Reversed – Sagay / Zamfara, Rivers APC Remain Banned – INEC / We Have No Candidates For Zamfara, Rivers - INEC Replies APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by jjmk(m): 10:14am On May 31, 2019
This man used to be so respected back at Uniben...what happened to Sagay? Dementia? What a pity.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Saboroya(m): 10:16am On May 31, 2019
Ebullience:
By Wale Odsagay you people send higher police officers to handle the inconclusive election in kano and we are deny our right to vote and you call it ok, banana justice unsi

Professor of Law, Itse Sagay (SAN) has urged the All Progressives Congress (APC) legal team to apply to the Supreme Court for a review of its judgments on Zamfara and Rivers States.

According to him, the verdicts were a travesty of justice.

While the Supreme Court barred the APC from fielding candidates for the general elections, it nullified APC’s victory and declared Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) the winner.

A statement he issued on Thursday said: “The Zamfara and Rivers State judgments are a national tragedy. We should not allow our legal system to throw up such unimaginable injustice.

“This major judicial disenfranchisement of the Zamfara and Rivers electorate should be reversed. I advise the APC legal team to apply for a review of the two judgments.

“Their Lordships ought to be given an opportunity to reverse this unprecedented tragedy.

“The prefix ‘Justice’ preceding he names of Supreme Court and Court of Appeal Judges is significant, for it prescribes what they stand for and what they represent: Justice!

“By this judgment, the landslide APC victories in the governorship, Senate, House of Representative and State House of Assembly are transferred to the PDP.

“If the APC primaries were defective, should the electorate be deprived of their democratic and Constitutional rights to vote? Is the electorate to be punished for the transgressions of party officials?

“Should the Judiciary replace the electorate’s decision and install losers in office? Could the Judiciary not have drawn on the deep recesses of its intellectual capacity, authority and its inexorable commitment to justice, to prevent this undemocratic calamity?

“Can the APC officials not be punished, for their lapses without denying the electorate their democratic rights? Should the Judiciary take over the electoral rights of the electorate? Is this not a clear case of technical law completely overthrowing justice?

“Have the members of the Supreme Court not achieved a level of creativity and authority to provide a solution without burying democracy and taking over from the registered voters as the judicial electorate?

“If this judgment had been an international one, it could have been described as ‘shocking the conscience of humanity’. In this case, it shocks the conscience of Nigerian humanity.”

Sagay said the Supreme Court is specially endowed with the power and authority to do justice and to ignore law when it is technical and would create injustice, and to avoid at all cost a mechanical approach to the interpretation of the law.

“Now, has justice been served in Rivers and Zamfara states? No! In one case innocent electorate in their hundreds of thousands were prevented from voting for their party by judicial order.

“In Zamfara, where voting took place, the verdict of the electorate was taken away from the victorious party and awarded by the Judiciary to the woeful losers.

“In the next four years, Zamfara State will be governed by a party and politicians rejected by the electorate. This indeed shocks the conscience of Nigerian humanity.”

He also referred to Section 140(1) – (3) of the Electoral Act, which prohibits any court from declaring a loser of an election elected even if the person with the highest votes was not validly elected.

“I am not interested in the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010. I am only deeply concerned and interested in the fundamental and peremptory principle of Justice.

“No Judge should announce his judgment until he is satisfied that Justice has been served, no matter how strong the pull of mechanical and technical law,” Sagay added.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/05/30/sagay-explodes-supreme-court-verdicts-zamfara-rivers-tells-apc/

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Nobody: 10:37am On May 31, 2019
BekeeBuAgbara:
Where was this man in 2007 when the supreme court ruled that Rotimi Amaechi should be sworn in as the governor of Rivers state despite not taking part in the governorship election, even though Celestine Omehia won the election he was removed from office because the court ruled that Amaechi won the PDP primary not Omehia, the votes of the people that voted for Omehia became waste

That was a different case..
Celestine and Amaechi belonged to the same party, pdp.
According to our law the votes are for parties and not candidates.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by ChristianNorth: 10:41am On May 31, 2019
sapientia:

Tnx for the explanations.
I don't follow you for nothing.
It is an honour
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Ballmer: 11:15am On May 31, 2019
The court should have cancelled the PDP vote n not declare Ameachi winner instead should have declared the party that cane second winner like it did in the case of Zamfara.

BekeeBuAgbara:
Where was this man in 2007 when the supreme court ruled that Rotimi Amaechi should be sworn in as the governor of Rivers state despite not taking part in the governorship election, even though Celestine Omehia won the election he was removed from office because the court ruled that Amaechi won the PDP primary not Omehia, the votes of the people that voted for Omehia became waste

Was that what happened in case of Amaechi

Frankiss44:

So after all this long epistle what would you have suggested the Supreme Court Justice do, order a fresh election without apc or ask apc to do a fresh primary so that they can join in the new general election? The fact is that the politicians are so desperate they don't want to consider the gravity of their lawlessness... I think this should pass a very strict message to all politicians that you can't eat your cake and have it...

The law is simple.. If you don't do a primary election, you can't participate in the general election and these politicians are aware of this.. Buying verdict at the lwet court is not a guarantee that you will survive at the Supreme Court...
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by TempleHouse: 11:55am On May 31, 2019
Their is a place in Hell for all the PDP Judges who are bent on truncating democracy in Nigeria...
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Frankiss44(m): 11:59am On May 31, 2019
Ballmer:
The court should have cancelled the PDP vote n not declare Ameachi winner instead should have declared the party that cane second winner like it did in the case of Zamfara.

Was that what happened in case of Amaechi

Don't confuse yourself... The Supreme Court said Ameachi was the person that won the primaries so he was the only one meant to contest the election under PDP.. It is a whole different scenario.. PDP had a legit primaries, just that the winner of the primaries which happened to be Ameachi was swapped after the primaries.. Bottom line is that you need to conduct a primary before u proceed to the general elections if not it will be assume u didn't participate in the general election and your votes will be considered wasted...
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Frankiss44(m): 12:01pm On May 31, 2019
TempleHouse:
Their is a place in Hell for all the PDP Judges who are bent on truncating democracy in Nigeria...

LOL.. Sifia pains
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Frankiss44(m): 12:04pm On May 31, 2019
rusher14:

Hope you would say this when the governor decamps to APC

Is there any difference between both? The masses are the ones been taken for granted.. When it came to local government autonomy that will benefit all Nigerians, did u see the Governors claiming PDP and APC? Didn't they all refuse the autonomy request?

Nigerians ona need to wake up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Frankiss44(m): 12:12pm On May 31, 2019
chocolatelady:
I am not a lawyer but I think that supreme court goofed on this one. The best bet is to wait after inauguration and order a fresh election. They can still reserve the judgement on a latter date just as they normally do. Giving the sore losers the winner is pure disenfranchisement of the whole state that voted for the APC. The case of Amechi vs Omehia is totally different. Applying the rule of supreme court on zamfara to their case means that Amechi shouldn't have been declared the governor elect but the opposition party that came 2nd in the election. I have never heard of wasted votes before except from this present set of supreme court judges. Just like Sagay suggested, APC should apply for the review of the justice. But I fear that the egoistic nature of the supreme court judges might not allow them to reverse itself. The ruling in Zamfara is unheard of.

Well, though it is your opinion but the fact is that wasted votes has always existed.. There are laws to be followed to be eligible to be in the ballot paper.. If those laws are disobeyed and u buy your way to the ballot paper by getting court induction from the lower courts, the Supreme Court is suppose to be there to checkmate the excesses of these politicians if not impunity will be on the increase... Like u said, the case of ameachi and zamfara are both different, Ameachi won a ligit primaries but was refused the opportunity to fly the ticket, that was the injustice the Supreme Court corrected... The second didn't even do any primaries and got a dubious court order to recognize a primary that never held... IMO, I think the Supreme Court took the best decision in both cases

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by sapoyoro(m): 12:27pm On May 31, 2019
ednut1:
Sir i used your books for business law those days and they made sense. I now doubt you wrote them
lol...u don't dare bring sagay's law of contract textbook to baba komo's class...he use to call him dullard,I can now see why our lecturer does not like sagay.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Deepthoughts: 1:15pm On May 31, 2019
Ebullience:
By Wale Odunsi

Professor of Law, Itse Sagay (SAN) has urged the All Progressives Congress (APC) legal team to apply to the Supreme Court for a review of its judgments on Zamfara and Rivers States.

According to him, the verdicts were a travesty of justice.

While the Supreme Court barred the APC from fielding candidates for the general elections, it nullified APC’s victory and declared Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) the winner.

A statement he issued on Thursday said: “The Zamfara and Rivers State judgments are a national tragedy. We should not allow our legal system to throw up such unimaginable injustice.

“This major judicial disenfranchisement of the Zamfara and Rivers electorate should be reversed. I advise the APC legal team to apply for a review of the two judgments.

“Their Lordships ought to be given an opportunity to reverse this unprecedented tragedy.

“The prefix ‘Justice’ preceding he names of Supreme Court and Court of Appeal Judges is significant, for it prescribes what they stand for and what they represent: Justice!

“By this judgment, the landslide APC victories in the governorship, Senate, House of Representative and State House of Assembly are transferred to the PDP.

“If the APC primaries were defective, should the electorate be deprived of their democratic and Constitutional rights to vote? Is the electorate to be punished for the transgressions of party officials?

“Should the Judiciary replace the electorate’s decision and install losers in office? Could the Judiciary not have drawn on the deep recesses of its intellectual capacity, authority and its inexorable commitment to justice, to prevent this undemocratic calamity?

“Can the APC officials not be punished, for their lapses without denying the electorate their democratic rights? Should the Judiciary take over the electoral rights of the electorate? Is this not a clear case of technical law completely overthrowing justice?

“Have the members of the Supreme Court not achieved a level of creativity and authority to provide a solution without burying democracy and taking over from the registered voters as the judicial electorate?

“If this judgment had been an international one, it could have been described as ‘shocking the conscience of humanity’. In this case, it shocks the conscience of Nigerian humanity.”

Sagay said the Supreme Court is specially endowed with the power and authority to do justice and to ignore law when it is technical and would create injustice, and to avoid at all cost a mechanical approach to the interpretation of the law.

“Now, has justice been served in Rivers and Zamfara states? No! In one case innocent electorate in their hundreds of thousands were prevented from voting for their party by judicial order.

“In Zamfara, where voting took place, the verdict of the electorate was taken away from the victorious party and awarded by the Judiciary to the woeful losers.

“In the next four years, Zamfara State will be governed by a party and politicians rejected by the electorate. This indeed shocks the conscience of Nigerian humanity.”

He also referred to Section 140(1) – (3) of the Electoral Act, which prohibits any court from declaring a loser of an election elected even if the person with the highest votes was not validly elected.

“I am not interested in the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010. I am only deeply concerned and interested in the fundamental and peremptory principle of Justice.

“No Judge should announce his judgment until he is satisfied that Justice has been served, no matter how strong the pull of mechanical and technical law,” Sagay added.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/05/30/sagay-explodes-supreme-court-verdicts-zamfara-rivers-tells-apc/

The rag-tag donkey cunt like mouthed buhari worshipping baboon of a professor has spoken,oya supreme Court reverse yourself n please the saint devils.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:46pm On May 31, 2019
Seetto:
Court has really suffer APC, this will never happen under the watch of PDP, except during yaradua when the rule of law was also strictly observed..

The children of hate will not see this to commend PMB..

na to dey insult their ancestor, which is their calling, only children from confused tribe will raise cutlass and be chasing their father up and down.
keep quiet there...commend pmb for what...where u dead when opposition won states like osun ondo edo ekiti thru courts...durin pdp time
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by bigfish3k: 2:13pm On May 31, 2019
chocolatelady:
I am not a lawyer but I think that supreme court goofed on this one. The best bet is to wait after inauguration and order a fresh election. They can still reserve the judgement on a latter date just as they normally do. Giving the sore losers the winner is pure disenfranchisement of the whole state that voted for the APC. The case of Amechi vs Omehia is totally different. Applying the rule of supreme court on zamfara to their case means that Amechi shouldn't have been declared the governor elect but the opposition party that came 2nd in the election. I have never heard of wasted votes before except from this present set of supreme court judges. Just like Sagay suggested, APC should apply for the review of the justice. But I fear that the egoistic nature of the supreme court judges might not allow them to reverse itself. The ruling in Zamfara is unheard of.

rivers case is different - there was primary elections but anothers name was submitted, the supreme court only declared the true winner of the primaries which is Amaechi
but in zamfara there was no primary elections witnessed by INEC, so who do u want them to declare as winners apart from PDP that did primaries and came second
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by babadee80(m): 2:14pm On May 31, 2019
WE HAVE TOO MANY KIDS ON THIS PLATFORM RANTING RUBBISH. CALLING SOMEONE OLD ENOUGH TO BE THEIR FATHER OLD FOOL BECAUSE OF POLITICAL DIFFS.SMH

1 Like

Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:33pm On May 31, 2019
chocolatelady:
in 2000 Olympics Nigeria was second to USA... in the relay... USA was later found to have use banned substance and Nigeria was awarded the gold medal... u want the Supreme Court to order fresh elections and let's waste resource to organise.. but apc won't be part of it so why are so concerned for d elections to be canceled...u no be lawyer u are emotional...and ur view with that of itse sagay is baseless
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by stieyven(m): 3:03pm On May 31, 2019
vengertime:
This fool and his ugly mouth. No one has your time.
He who calls his brother a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by MrCEO69(m): 4:03pm On May 31, 2019
yipata:
You said it all sir #profsagay
yipata:
Many thanks to you sir. You said it all.
U fool ehn grin
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by Dmano: 6:55pm On May 31, 2019
Oya Supreme Court reversed yourself for prof.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by FANE4Naija: 11:56pm On May 31, 2019
chocolatelady:
Wow. I love your thought process! You understand the issues and suggested credible solutions. I just hate that I had to read through a lot of garbage, tons of insults to get to yours- they'd only curse & insult without looking at an issue critically.
Re: Sagay Explodes Over Supreme Court Verdicts On Zamfara, Rivers, Tells APC Wha by PFRB: 12:06am On Jun 01, 2019
chocolatelady:

Were that done, Nigeria would have enetered into a constitutional embriogo. That means APC would have gone back to do another primary for them now to field candidates. Meanwhile the time for primaries had elapsed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jide Tinubu: Condolence Register Begins At Bola Tinubu's Mother's House (PHOTOS) / FRCN Takes Over Radio Biafra / Bandits Gun Down Assistant Police Commissioner Aminu Umar In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.