Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? (30615 Views)

America The Good Sides And Bad Sides You Need To Know Before You Relocate. / The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Sides Of Iyana Ipaja, Lagos, Nigeria / Trading On Railway Track: Why Is This Risky Practice Permitted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by tiger28: 3:34pm On Jun 03, 2019
freemanbubble:
Instead of you to ask when will the scam called Nigeria end
Biafran Spotted! JUST 2 months ago, it was all noise about atikulator and now. Now all of a sudden, Nigeria is a scam! Lazy losers!

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by mikkiviv: 3:35pm On Jun 03, 2019
is it the problem we have in this country?
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jun 03, 2019
Nigeria is so backward

In developed countries these tunnels are called subways
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by criseng(m): 3:45pm On Jun 03, 2019
[quote author=autojosh post=78981671]See What Roads In Kano Looked Like In 1970 (Photo). To see the photo,
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by IMASTEX: 3:45pm On Jun 03, 2019
HospitalityDiva:
It makes sense. Construct tunnels. Lease it to companies. Then they will pay the government rent. The IGR will be better for it.
Seconded, your head dey there.
There are countless of opportunities for government to generate income without needing to depend on crude. What you stated is impossible with the continuous parasitic set of people leading the country from time immemorial. Even to channel drinking water to houses is a problem.

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by salford1: 3:47pm On Jun 03, 2019
senchris:
But if handled professionally both in terms of maintenance, this is actually the future. This is the present means of transmitting electricity and other stuff in developed countries. You only see large metal poles along the highways, not wooden and concrete poles that are littered everywhere along the streets as in Nigeria/Africa.
Distributing

In addition, wood poles and steel overhead structures are still used in developed countries.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by ibietela2(m): 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2019
tactius:
Option B would be to build huge underground sewers and run the wires there....which would cost money and be even more exepsive.

BUT better and effective
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Lisaint(m): 4:16pm On Jun 03, 2019
This current digging has globacom logo on the laid down pipes...

They just keep digging and spoiling the roads...

They will dig here today for glo, later another company will come again to dig....

This is the rainy season.
They are adding more to the roads that's not even good before

Will this ever stop?
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Lisaint(m): 4:20pm On Jun 03, 2019
dondada78:
Make una calm down! This is an industry I work in. LASIMRA used to have oversight function but they are now weak and Ibile is in charge. During Joe Igbokwe's time, LASIMRA was extremely profitable and worked very well but things are no longer the same. We are even tired of the wahala and harassment trenching brings and have evolved to a brand new method. Only reason you can see this now is cos of Airtel who is deploying massively now.

In my areas,
The pipes that are buried underground has globacom logo and name on them
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by saajus: 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2019
You suppose to be celebrating. If fiber optics cable reach everywhere in Nigeria, it will be very cool. i hope our Telco companies are doing the right way
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 03, 2019
It isn't an old practice, it still happens in Canada, for telecom purposes
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by GistFullGround: 4:35pm On Jun 03, 2019
If you don't know, then don't talk!

This is how it's done everywhere.

When I have the time, I will show you when I see one in Washington DC today.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by allsaint2000: 4:59pm On Jun 03, 2019
GistFullGround:
If you don't know, then don't talk!

This is how it's done everywhere.

When I have the time, I will show you when I see one in Washington DC today.

Did you read the article to the end?
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by salford1: 5:12pm On Jun 03, 2019
The only issue i see is that everyone might just think it's okay to dig up roads and put cables, pipes etc underground. No completion of locates or application for easement, no right of way
Someone complained about burst pipes. This means that the guys digging up the ground are not even aware there was a pipe around that location and what depth they are located.
The owner of the water pipe might have just done the same thing without getting necessary approvals.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 03, 2019
Lol baba e they happen for China as well lol
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dondada78(m): 10:04pm On Jun 03, 2019
[quote author=gnykelly post=78982922]

What is the essence of those cables and how does it work [/qutote]

Data is now the new oil. Data speeds via microwave aren't reliable and you can't transmit a lot if packets without disruptions so optic fibre is the only way to do this. With optic fibre you can transmit massive amounts of data reliably without losing any packet and the only way to do this is to have a ring that ensures reliability hence you see them digging to lay the HDPE ducts that help protect the fibre cables. Without optic fibre cables you won't experience that fast internet speed you currently take for granted. 5G will also rely heavily on optic fibre cables connected to cell sites.

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dondada78(m): 10:06pm On Jun 03, 2019
Lisaint:

In my areas,
The pipes that are buried underground has globacom logo and name on them

Yeah that's true. Glo is also expanding her network. I don't do jobs for them cos na heavy gbese and wahala them be.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by gnykelly(m): 10:08pm On Jun 03, 2019
[quote author=dondada78 post=78994487][/quote]
Thanks for the explanation... The HDPE cable being laid currently is that all they need to install or another cable will pass through the hole
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dondada78(m): 10:14pm On Jun 03, 2019
AutoReportNG:

Is there not a law or rule on where to dig/dredge? Most times you see a newly constructed road being damage by these folks, are there compensation for this and if yes, why didn't the govt fix the road ASAP?

I only get to know about LASIMRA last year and they are not effective IMO, Ibile Holdings seem to have hijack their work cos they are in charge of Oshodi Terminus and so major Lagos owned construction

There are rules and laws governing trenching in Lagos State. In fact it's the State government that actually resurfaces the trenched roads after digging but the telcos pay heavily for this. RoW matters in Lagos is a Herculean task and Ambode refused to give any permission to any company to trench till he was flushed out.

1 Like

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dondada78(m): 10:16pm On Jun 03, 2019
gnykelly:

Thanks for the explanation... The HDPE cable being laid currently is that all they need to install or another cable will pass through the hole

Another cable which is the fibre cable is later passed through the HDPE ducts. The HDPE ducts serves as the last protection barrier for the xables
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by gnykelly(m): 10:26pm On Jun 03, 2019
dondada78:

Another cable which is the fibre cable is later passed through the HDPE ducts. The HDPE ducts serves as the last protection barrier for the xables

Thanks once again
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by kbenks: 6:18am On Jun 04, 2019
[ digging to bury cable is not the best practice. In a well planned society, ducts are made for use everywhere. You want to run your cable to a location then you use the access ducts that are in place. There is another practice for inter-city, it's called OPGW (Optical Ground Wire) An optical ground wire (also known as an OPGW or, in the IEEE standard, an optical fiber composite overhead ground wire) is a type of cable that is used in overhead power lines. Such cable combines the functions of grounding and communications. An OPGW cable contains a tubular structure with one or more optical fibers in it, surrounded by layers of steel and aluminum wire. The OPGW cable is run between the tops of high-voltage electricity pylons. The conductive part of the cable serves to bond adjacent towers to earth ground, and shields the high-voltage conductors from lightning strikes. The optical fibers within the cable can be used for high-speed transmission of data, either for the electrical utility's own purposes of protection and control of the transmission line, for the utility's own voice and data communication, or may be leased or sold to third parties to serve as a high-speed fiber interconnection between cities. Instead of digging from Lagos to Sokoto like we do, OPGW can be leased from TCN and used for means of communication delivery. But here, The TCN cable were given to Dangote Telecom and Phase3 Telecom own by the minister for communication under Obasanjo. We still have a long way to go. I see people breaking the road on the name of laying Fiber optic cable when they can loom into transboring below the surface of the road. Lack of Infrastructure is still a major problem in our dear own country.

[1]uote author=sassysure post=78982396]What do u mean @op?

Burying cables underground is the safest means employed world over for power connection or any thing that has to do with wire.

Gosh!

I used to love your topics.[/quote]
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by suremanpatriot: 7:50am On Jun 04, 2019
THIS IS ONE OF MENACE SANEO OLU HAS TO STOP IN LAGOS. PPL IN WORKS ARE THE CULPRIT WHO COLLECT MONIES FROM TELECOMM COMPANY TO GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO DETROY GOVT ROADS AND SIDEWORKS EACH TIME D ROAD IS TARRED.

DEAR GOVR SANWO
THERE ARE FIVE MAJOR THINGS YOU NEED TO DO TO MARK YOUR MARK:
1) CLEAN UP LAGOS TO BADAGRY EXPRESS ROAD
2) FILL UP POTHOLES AND DANGER TELECOMM HOLES IN LAGOS
3) PROVIDE FOR POLICE WELL AND SUSTAIN SECURITY IN LAGOS
4) STOP VIO LASMA ROAD SAFTY FROM HARRASSING POOR LAW ABIDING MOTORIST LIKE AMBODE DID SO WELL
5) LISTEN TO TRAFIC RADIO TO HERE LAGOSIANS TO REALLY ADDRESS THEIR NEEDS.
MERCI!
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 8:56am On Jun 04, 2019
I have that dream of becoming Nigeria's President one day and make our country a first world country.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by galadima77(m): 7:25pm On Jun 04, 2019
HospitalityDiva:
It makes sense. Construct tunnels. Lease it to companies. Then they will pay the government rent. The IGR will be better for it.

Meanwhile, ladies, to overcome and prevent toilet infections, see my signature. Guys, to overcome weak erections, also see my signature.

Construct tunnels for cannabis smoking..lolz

Ordinary stable electricity we can't sustain na neat tunnels we go fit keep...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 7:28pm On Jun 04, 2019
the rational of moving every other topic to Travel section? road accident, motor, street, car boom all to travel section, you know there is also a general section right?

@lalasticlala
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dondada78(m): 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2019
IMASTEX:

Seconded, your head dey there.
There are countless of opportunities for government to generate income without needing to depend on crude. What you stated is impossible with the continuous parasitic set of people leading the country from time immemorial. Even to channel drinking water to houses is a problem.

Actually LASG has started doing this. Most of the new roads they build have already laid ducts by the side and this has been really helpful for us but alas it ain't everywhere.....
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by dondada78(m): 3:46pm On Jun 05, 2019
kbenks:
[ digging to bury cable is not the best practice. In a well planned society, ducts are made for use everywhere. You want to run your cable to a location then you use the access ducts that are in place. There is another practice for inter-city, it's called OPGW (Optical Ground Wire) An optical ground wire (also known as an OPGW or, in the IEEE standard, an optical fiber composite overhead ground wire) is a type of cable that is used in overhead power lines. Such cable combines the functions of grounding and communications. An OPGW cable contains a tubular structure with one or more optical fibers in it, surrounded by layers of steel and aluminum wire. The OPGW cable is run between the tops of high-voltage electricity pylons. The conductive part of the cable serves to bond adjacent towers to earth ground, and shields the high-voltage conductors from lightning strikes. The optical fibers within the cable can be used for high-speed transmission of data, either for the electrical utility's own purposes of protection and control of the transmission line, for the utility's own voice and data communication, or may be leased or sold to third parties to serve as a high-speed fiber interconnection between cities. Instead of digging from Lagos to Sokoto like we do, OPGW can be leased from TCN and used for means of communication delivery. But here, The TCN cable were given to Dangote Telecom and Phase3 Telecom own by the minister for communication under Obasanjo. We still have a long way to go. I see people breaking the road on the name of laying Fiber optic cable when they can loom into transboring below the surface of the road. Lack of Infrastructure is still a major problem in our dear own country.

Theory talk only!!!! Do you work in this industry at all?

[1]uote author=sassysure post=78982396]What do u mean @op?

Burying cables underground is the safest means employed world over for power connection or any thing that has to do with wire.
Thumbs up!!!!
Gosh!

I used to love your topics.
Re: Digging Road-sides To Bury Cables:when Will This Old Practice End In Nigeria? by Lisaint(m): 11:21pm On Jun 07, 2019
dondada78:

Yeah that's true. Glo is also expanding her network. I don't do jobs for them cos na heavy gbese and wahala them be.

By problem with what they are digging now is that....
Do you know that they usually steal cables in Nigeria....
What if men of the underworld decide to visit this cables they are burying underground

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Crazy Things You Shouldn’t Do In Lagos Buses / Trailer Falls On A Police Van In Lagos (photos) / Introducing Minus 25 Degrees! I Visited The Ice City! �

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.