Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,973 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix (3695 Views)

Nissan Altima MAF Sensor / Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? / Can I Bypass My MAF Sensor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:04am On Jun 04, 2019
INTRODUCTION
The MAF sensor, just like other sensors embedded in your car's engine, etc, works like your body's "thermometer".

When your body feels its catching lots of cold, your brain automatically tells you to adopt countermeasures against the cold, by putting on warmth providing clothing, in order to help your body's mechanism work properly.

A car's mass airflow sensor, does almost similar functions, as your body's" thermometer ".

It measures the amount of outside air coming into the manifold (engine), and uses this information, to compared to an existing standard in the car's ECU.

That way, the MAF sensor collaborates with the ECU, and a host of other sensors, in determining the appropriate air-fuel mix ratios needed by the engine.

SO WHAT HAPPENS IF THE MAF IS WORKING OUTSIDE ITS STANDARD NORM?
Some of the problems you'd notice when the sensor misbehaves, are;

* vehicle may stall

*in some cases, excessive fuel consumption can be noticed with black smoke from the exhaust

* misfiring, and in some cases, hard start.

*lack of power when accelerating

While some of these symptoms may vary from vehicle to vehicle, it's important you get these few symptoms handy.

Its not just getting abreast with these symptoms, or any other, that's the problem.

The KOKO now is how do you know the problem (s) with your car is related to the MAF, and how to go about fixing it.

Well, its not that difficult trying to figure this out.

First things first.
1. Identify what sort of symptoms you're battling with, and see if some of them compares/matches with the symptoms above.

2. If you're a car owner, and a sort of an enthusiast, you could get one of the Chinese made Bluetooth code reader, or any handheld code reader.

I like clients with code readers.
We tend to share ideas together, as regards their vehicle fixes.

3. Go retrieved the code(s) straightaway!
a) plug in your code reader's connector to the obd2 link, before turning on the ignition system.

b) in order not to drain or run down your 12V battery(just in case the radiator fan has being connected directly), you could retrieved the codes, while you idle the engine.

NOW YOU'VE RETRIEVED THE CODE(S), WHAT NEXT?!
The common mistakes people make is to immediately order for a replacement sensor, without actually studying the code.

You might be temporarily successful with the fix, but I bet the problem would still return.

HERE'S HOW I DID FIXED A P0101: MAF sensor performance malfunction.

I would be comparing two brands and what experiences I got.

1. 2006 HYBRID HIGHLANDER
Symptom here was a rough idle.
Operational environment, was Awoyaya area of Lagos state.

Interpreting Toyotas definition of "severe" operating environment, I'd classify this vehicle as such.

2. 2005 NISSAN INFINITI M45.
Symptoms noticed were excessive black smoke from exhaust tailpipe(of course this translates to poor MPG); terrible loss of power when trying to overtake or when more power demands is required.

FOR THE TOYOTA?!
From already seeing the condition of the engine, and how dusty it was, I already knew the problem of the car 100% might be related to clogged MAF sensor.

There was just nothing to suggests rodents infestations of the wiring harnesses of the car, and all that.

¶ the air box assembly was removed for inspections.

The air filter was terribly dusty, and air box assembly had some debris lying in there.

¶ replaced the air filter with a new one, and cleaned out the debris lying in the air box assembly.

¶ decided to removed the MAF sensor itself from the airflow hose, to have that checked also.
What I saw afterwards was pathetic.

The MAF sensor had completely gotten clogged with dust.

¶ because of how sensitive the thermistor in the MAF sensor was, I had to use an old toothbrush i had lying somewhere in the shop dust off some of the stuffs on it.

¶ used a clean toilet tissue to wipe off any debris remaining on it.

¶ this is the most delicate part of the tasks.
I only used electronic parts cleaner to get rid of any other stuffs hanging in on the MAF sensor thermistor.

Pls do not use any other solvent to clean a MAF sensor.

Doing otherwise, would damaged the sensor.
Some people do use carb/injector cleaner(that is horrible).

¶ fixed the cleaned MAF sensor back, and connected the connector back in.

¶ cycled the ignition system twice, before starting the engine.
You do this to allow the ECU, reset the MAF sensor parameters again before starting the car.

¶ the check engine light responsible for the MAF sensor related codes, immediately went off.

FOR THE INFINITI?!
The experience was quite different.
There wasn't a trouble code for the MAF sensor.

But the symptoms the car was exhibiting was closed to what a faulty MAF sensor gives.
Some of the symptoms noticed here were,

¶ erratic idling

¶ terrible loss of power when I try to over take

¶ black smoke from the exhaust tailpipe

Solving this was not a problem.
The air filter of the car was a new one, and the vehicle wasn't driven in dusty areas (I'm not trying to be...you know what I mean I guessed).

¶ since i had come across similar issues like these on some vehicles, I just ordered for a replacement MAF sensor, and that was it.
It took care of all the problems on the car.

How to prevent sensor malfunction
Most parts on pur cars these days are serviceable items, that needs replacing.
Parts don't last forever.
Even human beings don't.

1. If you drive in an environment that's dusty(could be the ambient air, or the raid pavements), always make it a duty to always check and dust your car's air intake assembly.

2. Replaced the air filter, more often(only applicable in severe environments).

3. When a check engine light pops up on dash, don't always neglect it.
It could metamorphosed to something big later.

4. Never use a carb/injector cleaner to clean a MAF sensor.

Use only electronic cleaners.
They are suitable for sensitive electronic parts.
That's the fastest way to kill it(using a carb cleaner).

In conclusion, it appears that of performance functions of some sensitive sensors on cars these days, are dependent on manufacturer, technological advancements, and on environmental conditions too.

PS:
I have noticed some Hyundai/KIA vehicles, do not trigger a check engine light on the dash
sometimes, to help with diagnosis.
In situations like this, experiential knowledge comes into play.

Regards,
Joseph
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo,
Lagos
www.dxta.com.ng
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:13am On Jun 04, 2019
Picture of the MAF sensor, and the airflow assembly shown

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:14am On Jun 04, 2019
Unplugging the MAF sensor connector from the sensor

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:16am On Jun 04, 2019
That's how a clogged MAF sensor looks like.
When its clogged this way, the thermistor in the sensor can't send correct signals to the ECU for informed decisions.

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:18am On Jun 04, 2019
That needle like thing is what is called the thermistor. That's what the yellow arrow is pointing at. Pls do not use tour hands to touch that portion of the sensor.

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:19am On Jun 04, 2019
An already cleaned MAF sensor, ready for installation.

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:21am On Jun 04, 2019
An electronic cleaner

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:23am On Jun 04, 2019
Pls only use this stuff for cleaning the MAF sensor, and not a carb/injector cleaner.
Works wonders.
I used it on some of my circuit boards.

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 11:26am On Jun 04, 2019
A piece of toilet tissue to help with the cleaning. Should a clean one

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by dere5: 12:39pm On Jun 04, 2019
Thanks @ Dexterwise for sharing. Very informative.

1 Like

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by hayjayman(m): 7:46pm On Jun 04, 2019
Bro engineer.. Thanks for sharing.. But I will tell you that the pics you have shown are Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.. And not mass airflow sensor... Research and thank me later.. Thankx..both sensors are located after the airfilter in the air intake chamber

2 Likes

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 8:54pm On Jun 04, 2019
I really appreciate your inputs. Thanks a thousand.

1 Like

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by SmartToyota(m): 9:04pm On Jun 04, 2019
Incorrect, that's the maf sensor sir he showed. The IAT sensor is also different.
hayjayman:
Bro engineer.. Thanks for sharing.. But I will tell you that the pics you have shown are Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.. And not mass airflow sensor... Research and thank me later.. Thankx..both sensors are located after the airfilter in the air intake chamber

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by hayjayman(m): 9:29pm On Jun 04, 2019
SmartToyota:
Incorrect, that's the maf sensor sir he showed. The IAT sensor is also different.

Maf sensor is pictured like an element while IAT sensor is pictured like a wax bulb.. Research and thank me later.. Thanks

1 first pics.. IAT sensor
2.second pics.. Maf sensor..

Depending on vehicle, both are sometimes housed in the same housing which you might mistake one for the other.. But you can see the difference.. Connected element and a wax bulb end

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by SmartToyota(m): 9:53pm On Jun 04, 2019
I still insist he's right on the MAF sensor. Based on the picture you sent, you're correct. First is IAT and second is MAF sensor. Hold on and i pull up a pic for you.
hayjayman:

Maf sensor is pictured like an element while IAT sensor is pictured like a wax bulb.. Research and thank me later.. Thanks

1 first pics.. IAT sensor
2.second pics.. Maf sensor..

Depending on vehicle, both are sometimes housed in the same housing which you might mistake one for the other.. But you can see the difference.. Connected element and a wax bulb end
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by SmartToyota(m): 9:55pm On Jun 04, 2019
Here it is

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by hayjayman(m): 10:26pm On Jun 04, 2019
Ok.. You are right.... grin grin
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by arantess: 9:48am On Jun 05, 2019
TRYGO:
Pls only use this stuff for cleaning the MAF sensor, and not a carb/injector cleaner.
Works wonders.
I used it on some of my circuit boards.
Look what I found

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by seyema(m): 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2019
The problem is all you guy always reside in either lag or abj

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by arantess: 5:10pm On Jun 05, 2019
seyema:
As in eh grin

1 Like

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2019
@Arantess. That stuff too would work, as long as its stated in there on its application.
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by Ehybrid: 11:19am On Jun 09, 2019
IAT sensors marked with blue and MAF sensor marked with red.

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:07pm On Jun 09, 2019
seyema:

one of my greatest challenge back then in the day....

when. people will say, buy this buy that... I always make sure I inform the potential buyer to ensure the availability of parts and expertise before buying anything!
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by seyema(m): 2:07pm On Jun 09, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

one of my greatest challenge back then in the day....

when. people will say, buy this buy that... I always make sure I inform the potential buyer to ensure the availability of parts and expertise before buying anything!

Exactly... 95% of mechanics in my town here never heard of OBD2 scanner before

1 Like

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:53pm On Jun 09, 2019
seyema:

I feel ur pain BRO, I've been there before ....
just get conversant with DIY.... u will help urself alot and save a lot of money!

1 Like

Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by seyema(m): 5:41pm On Jun 09, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

I feel ur pain BRO, I've been there before ....
just get conversant with DIY.... u will help urself alot and save a lot of money!

Ofcourse, that's the way to go
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by thebigkendo(m): 6:15pm On Jun 09, 2019
seyema:

Buy a personal scanner.. You can even make money by scaning for a fee grin
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by seyema(m): 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2019
thebigkendo:

Buy a personal scanner.. You can even make money by scaning for a fee grin

And have thought about that before but job won't give that time except maybe on Saturday sha
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by cmoney22222: 7:24am On Jun 10, 2019
Good job Oga joe. Your service always affordable.. good customer service. Bigger you I pray
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by TRYGO(m): 8:22am On Jun 10, 2019
@cemoney55555. Mehn, I kinda like your moniker.
Thanks a lot for your comments sir!
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by dicksonadams(m): 9:07pm On Sep 06, 2019
arantess:

Look what I found

Where you see am buy
Re: Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix by VolvoS60(m): 11:18am On Sep 07, 2019
Good thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 All-time Best-selling Cars In Nigeria / Mercedes-benz ML320 Vs Lexus RX300 / How Long Does It Take To Get A Driving License?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.