Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant (2876 Views)

Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton / Nigerian-american Professionals Endorse Jonathan For Second Term / Jonathan, Iweala To Be Stripped Of Powers To Grant Import Waivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 8:28pm On Sep 29, 2010
[size=14pt]California-Based Nigerian Scientist, John Dabiri, Gets 'Genius Grant'[/size]
Posted: September 29, 2010 - 00:52

John Dabiri

Sep. 28 (GIN) – A Nigerian biophysicist and Associate Professor of Aeronautics and Bioengineering with the California Institute of Technology has been named among 23 new Fellows of the MacArthur Foundation for 2010, with each receiving a $500,000 "genius" grant.

John Dabiri, 30, will receive the “no strings attached” award over the next five years, enabling him to “reflect, create and explore” without stipulations or reporting requirements.

Nigerian writer, Chimamanda Adichie, was a 2008 recipient of the MacArthur grant.
Dabiri’s studies cover a wide range of fields, including theoretical fluid dynamics, evolutionary biology, and biomechanics. His special interest is in simple multi-cellular organisms such as jellyfish with profound implications not only for understanding the evolution of locomotion in jellyfish and other aquatic animals, but also for a host of distantly related questions and applications in fluid dynamics, from blood flow in the human heart to the design of wind power generators."

Other winners are jazz pianist Jason Moran and Annette Gordon-Reed, author of Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy, and The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family, which won a Pulitzer Prize in History in 2009. A professor of law at Rutgers University, she is recognized as one of our country’s most distinguished presidential scholars.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 29, 2010
Which one is "Yoruba-American" again?

Tribalistic hunchback
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by ifele(m): 9:31pm On Sep 29, 2010
Aloy did not do naything tribalistic. Ejo e ma binu be yen
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2010
ifele:

Aloy did not do naything tribalistic. Ejo e ma binu be yen
Aloy knows what she's doing. . . .
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by olafolarin(m): 9:38pm On Sep 29, 2010
"Nigerian" should suffice.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by CareTaker1(m): 9:44pm On Sep 29, 2010
It is our success,

Felicitations bro,, we rejoice with you.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 10:33pm On Sep 29, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Which one is "Yoruba-American" again?

Tribalistic hunchback

I thot we have Igbo-American, Yoruba American and Hausa American?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by teeboyseve(m): 10:38pm On Sep 29, 2010
Yoruba-American, WTF, You mean Nigerian-American,
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Onlytruth(m): 10:46pm On Sep 29, 2010
These are the type of guys I like to celebrate. Well done bro! cool
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by bawomolo(m): 10:47pm On Sep 29, 2010
yoruba american? da hell
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by KnowAll(m): 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2010
[size=14pt]By using the term Yoruba-American the gentleman could be a Beniouse OR Seira Leone which would mean his achievment would be irrelevant to us Nigerians so poster is he a Nigerian OR a Diasporan Yoruba from Cuba, Brazil, or from Sea Islands just of the coast of the Carolinas or any of the other Yoruba outpost dotted all over the world. Your post is misleading ?[/size]
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I thot we have Igbo-American, Yoruba American and Hausa American?

Must you follow them?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 10:56pm On Sep 29, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]By using the term Yoruba-American the gentleman could be a Beniouse OR Seira Leone which would mean his achievment would be irrelevant to us Nigerians so poster is he a Nigerian OR a Diasporan Yoruba from Cuba, Brazil, or from Sea Islands just of the coast of the Carolinas or any of the other Yoruba outpost dotted all over the world. Your post is misleading ?[/size]

Did you remember these factors when Akin-Egba posts his usual headlines: Igbo-American?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 10:58pm On Sep 29, 2010
stillwater:

Must you follow them?

Yes o, since Nigeria is a mere geographical entity, residents should be identified by their ethnic groups.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by bawomolo(m): 11:06pm On Sep 29, 2010
i see where you are going with this. ride on
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 11:07pm On Sep 29, 2010
bawomolo:

i see where you are going with this. ride on

You scared of satellite pictures or what?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by bawomolo(m): 11:15pm On Sep 29, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

You scared of satellite pictures or what?

why should i.

i'm a supporter of benin republic
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by vescucci(m): 11:39pm On Sep 29, 2010
I don't think it's right calling him Yoruba-American. I doubt he can speak Yoruba sef. His parents might be Yorubas. Nigerian-American probably is technically wrong too but everybody woulda been happy. The Yoruba thing sounds like rubbing it on people's faces. Na God save you say Emeka dey your name, they for don chop you raw.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by koruji(m): 11:41pm On Sep 29, 2010
Akin-Egba is not Yoruba, but Igbo.

Aloy+Emeka:

Did you remember these factors when Akin-Egba posts his usual headlines: Igbo-American?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Dsense(m): 11:49pm On Sep 29, 2010
koruji:

Akin-Egba is not Yoruba, but Igbo.

GBAM cool cool cool
Actually da name sounds Igbo grin Blind
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Osama10(m): 11:52pm On Sep 29, 2010
So kini big if he is a Yoruba-American.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Dsense(m): 11:53pm On Sep 29, 2010
Guys there is nothing wrong in sayin Yoruba-american after all it's all our pride as nigerians.abi una wan make he say Hausa or Igbo-nigerian for uur dream grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 12:05am On Sep 30, 2010
vescucci:

I don't think it's right calling him Yoruba-American. I doubt he can speak Yoruba sef. His parents might be Yorubas. Nigerian-American probably is technically wrong too but everybody woulda been happy. The Yoruba thing sounds like rubbing it on people's faces. Na God save you say Emeka dey your name, they for don chop you raw.
Thank God o. grin grin grin wink wink
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Becomrich0: 12:39am On Sep 30, 2010
How come my name was missing from this list. my research is about how to get rid of beaf on nairaland.

this is a nice list to be on. congrat. my research change the way people view the internet. Wao, they should have told me alot time about about MacArthur Foundation.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by spoilt(f): 12:43am On Sep 30, 2010
yoruba American? I go die oh.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by MaziUche0(m): 12:44am On Sep 30, 2010
Congratulations to him. But Yoruba-American? At least you could have said a son of Oduduwa!
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 30, 2010
Becomrich0:

How come my name was missing from this list. my research is about how to get rid of beaf on nairaland.

this is a nice list to be on.  congrat. [b]my research change the way people view the internet. Wao, they should have told me alot time about about MacArthur [/b]Foundation.

ROTFLMAO!!!

My gosh I loff you becommrich, you always make my day. Now I can study for my exam with a smile on my face grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by grafikdon: 1:01am On Sep 30, 2010
Becomrich0:

this is a nice list to be on. congrat. my research change the way people view the internet. Wao, they should have told me alot time about about MacArthur Foundation.

Are you certain the Grant covers [b]Batu[/b]ology?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by spikedcylinder: 1:10am On Sep 30, 2010
Becomrich0:

Lol! Now I believe all your kini is intentional. No normal human reasons like you. grin grin grin grin grin

@ topic
How are you even sure he's Yoruba?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 3:43am On Sep 30, 2010
gosh what a s.tupid thread title.

the daft op now put the actual heading inside the first post. undecided

i tire for some people and their pointless aggro!!

anyway@ topic

congrats to him but i thought hummingbirds were the next big thing. Though jellyfish have been under observation for a while now i guess.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by mensdept: 4:15am On Sep 30, 2010
teeboyseve:

Yoruba-American, WTF, You mean Nigerian-American,

Nothing wrong with Yoruba-American. Its not everything you go carry the name Naija for.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 4:20am On Sep 30, 2010
^^hating nigeria doesnt mean the country has vanished into thin air. For now, until the place breaks up as you all are working towards, the region called nigeria still exists.

there are yorubas outside nigeria and as such the thread title is wrong.

period.

**i guess we should be thankful the op didnt title her thread Yoruba american perhaps? Or ofe mmanu american?**

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bomb Blasts: SSS Takes Suspects To Court / Funny Pictures Of Obasanjo.... The Man Of The Month. / Buhari: US War College 1980 Set Scam Exposed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.