Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,443 members, 7,830,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant (2879 Views)

Nigerian American To Host Fundraiser For Hillary Clinton / Nigerian-american Professionals Endorse Jonathan For Second Term / Jonathan, Iweala To Be Stripped Of Powers To Grant Import Waivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by mensdept: 4:33am On Sep 30, 2010
tpiah:

^^hating nigeria doesnt mean the country has vanished into thin air. For now, until the place breaks up as you all are working towards, the region called nigeria still exists.

there are yorubas outside nigeria and as such the thread title is wrong.

period.

**i guess we should be thankful the op didnt title her thread Yoruba american perhaps?  Or ofe mmanu american?**

Nonsense.

If a Yoruba in France or Ijebu-Ode is speaking in his language, he would say he's speaking Yoruba. If Oyibo people at Cal. State University are asking what attire/group is  Aso Oke , Yoruba present can say its Yoruba attire,
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 4:36am On Sep 30, 2010
^^wrong again.

if a Yoruba in France or Ijebu-Ode is speaking in his language, he would say he's speaking Yoruba.

an Ijebu speaking his language will say he's speaking ijebu.

likewise other regions.

If Oyibo people at Cal. State University are asking what attire/group is Aso Oke , Yoruba present can say its Yoruba attire,

is the thread about aso oke?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by mensdept: 4:43am On Sep 30, 2010
tpiah:

^^wrong again.

an Ijebu speaking his language will say he's speaking ijebu.

likewise other regions.

is the thread about aso oke?

Actually its correct. A Yoruba man speaking in his language will say he's speaking Yoruba, and is speaking YORUBA.

As for Aso Oke, please, dont be silly now.

Its not everything you have to put Naija 4 life. If you like, be Yoruba, be Igbo, be Yoruba-American, finish
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 4:50am On Sep 30, 2010
^^the problem with nigeria is this inability to see the wider picture.

Igbos consider it a compliment to be called Igbo Americans.

Yorubas, on the other hand, do not feel the same way about being called Yoruba Americans, and besides the man involved did not say he did his work because of yoruba people.

it cant get clearer than that.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by mensdept: 5:00am On Sep 30, 2010
tpiah:

Yorubas, on the other hand, do not feel the same way about being called Yoruba Americans, and besides the man involved did not say he did his work because of yoruba people.

Let you tell you a little secret. Ready?

Na plenty Yoruba people dey for Yankee. Many of them refer to themselves as Yoruba-American, just like the Igbo-American, Urhobo-American, even Ngwa-American (dayum, Ngwa-American?) do. Does that make it "right or wrong"?

Now for those Igbo or Yoruba who just arrived, then of course, how can they call themselves the above names in US, UK, or Ireland?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 5:03am On Sep 30, 2010
tpiah:

I believe that when Chimamanda Adichie collected similar award 3 years ago, she did her work because of Igbo people?

And who told you that Igbos consider it a compliment to be called Igbo Americans?. Stop trying to be corny with your bigoted azz. You never fail to disappoint me.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 5:06am On Sep 30, 2010
spikedcylinder:

@ topic
How are you even sure he's Yoruba? [/color]

He has Yoruba blood whether he likes it or not. His last name is a testimony that hjs ancestry is either Yoruba or Bini.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 5:12am On Sep 30, 2010
^^you never disappoint or take correction.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 5:17am On Sep 30, 2010
Why not answer the questions since you claim that Igbos rejoice at being called Igbo Americans while Yorubas are more proud of their heritage?. Apparently, Akin-Egba = Igbos even though BecomeRich is not = Yorubas. I didn't write that, you did and do the honorable thing and defend your comment, otherwise STFU.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 5:18am On Sep 30, 2010
^^modify your thread title or keep on carrying your block head.

see the number of people who corrected you yet you're still proving stubborn and i too know.

i leave you to your nonsense oh. Dont have your time.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 5:29am On Sep 30, 2010
tpiah:

^^modify your thread title or keep on carrying your block head.

see the number of people who corrected you yet you're still proving stubborn and i too know.

i leave you to your nonsense oh. Dont have your time.

You have your tongue in your cheek now, ehn?. No answer yet for my questions because I don't see how the thread title is your problem. Tell us when and where you've witnessed Igbos rejoice when refered to as IGBO-Americans?.

You have the problem with the thread title yet you claim the boy didn't achieve his feat for Yorubas as against Chimamnda who achieved hers solely for Igbos. Why then do you have problem with the thread title when you are so sure he is Yoruba?. You complained that he could be a non Nigerian Yoruba, so isn't that a better title since we are not sure he is even Nigerian?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpiah: 5:32am On Sep 30, 2010
mens dept:

Let you tell you a little secret. Ready?

Na plenty Yoruba people dey for Yankee. Many of them refer to themselves as Yoruba-American, just like the Igbo-American, Urhobo-American, even Ngwa-American (dayum, Ngwa-American?) do. Does that make it "right or wrong"?

Now for those Igbo or Yoruba who just arrived, then of course, how can they call themselves the above names in US, UK, or Ireland?

anyway!

lest i forget- if you simply say plain Yoruba man it's even better.

wetin be yoruba american as if the person no know im hometown.

yoruba polish ni.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by koruji(m): 5:37am On Sep 30, 2010
Na u know who is blind and who is not. Akin-Egba of NL is Yoruba the same way Osama10 of NL writes from Afghanistan undecided

D-sense:

GBAM cool cool cool
Actually da name sounds Igbo grin Blind 
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 30, 2010
koruji:

Na u know who is blind and who is not. Akin-Egba of NL is Yoruba the same way Osama10 of NL writes from Afghanistan undecided

Akin-Egba is NOT Yoruba.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by koruji(m): 6:14am On Sep 30, 2010
Thank u sister Ileke - I assume u realize that was my point as well. How is the studying going?

Ileke-IdI:

Akin-Egba is NOT Yoruba.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 30, 2010
koruji:

Thank u sister Ileke - I assume u realize that was my point as well. How is the studying going?

Was going Well, until one witch lost her broom.
I wasnt planning on sleeping tonight anywaz undecided
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by koruji(m): 6:34am On Sep 30, 2010
"witch lost her broom"? - translation?
U dey enter 1 sokoto with another for gator land?

Ileke-IdI:

Was going Well, until one witch lost her broom.
I wasnt planning on sleeping tonight anywaz undecided
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AloyEmeka5: 1:31pm On Sep 30, 2010
tpiah:

anyway!

lest i forget- if you simply say plain Yoruba man it's even better.

wetin be yoruba american as if the person no know im hometown.

yoruba polish ni.

Don't try to divert my question with a non issue. Defend your initial comment or don't you have defense?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by PhysicsQED(m): 6:37pm On Oct 01, 2010
Further good news. Been following this guy's work and I'm glad to see the potential in it has been recognized.

@threadstarter, this was an incredibly silly thread title and it completely derailed the thread,
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by oyinda3(f): 9:00am On Oct 22, 2010
First of all, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to the guy. he looks handsome too!!!

but the igbo-american vs yoruba-american thing is hilarious. the former is widely used and doesn't inspire any controversy. The latter on the other hand sounds very off. Yoruba-american just doesn't sound right. it sounds tribalistic. Nigerian-American should have been used.
only igbos can call themselves igbo-american and pull it off. but why is this though?
why is igbo-american not tribalistic while yoruba-american sounds tribalistic? This is probably a separate topic on its own. we shouldn't let it distract us from celebrating our handsome nigerian genius  grin
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpia5: 2:24pm On Oct 22, 2010
igbo american doesnt raise eyebows because in their worldview, igbo supercedes the state and is primary to any other thing.

yoruba american is offensive because it sounds patronizing and just wrong.

Saying Yoruba man would have been slightly less insulting.

aside from the fact that the guy himself no send the op?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by oyinda3(f): 4:09pm On Oct 22, 2010
^ ah that makes so much sense.

the idea that you have to be fully yoruba rather than yoruba+american. ie you can't be both.
it's either you are yoruba or you are american.

yoruba american sounds very wrong lollol
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpia5: 4:17pm On Oct 22, 2010
yes, yoruba isnt really monolithic and yorubas are generally wary of forced unity.

given past experiences with that experiment, cant say i blame them.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 22, 2010
Aloy.Emeka was just being spiteful as usual

With his "One Brave Yoruba man" other topic title. The foolish Yoruba woman needs to stop being confused.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by tpia5: 4:20pm On Oct 22, 2010
^^why are you trying so hard to make aloy emeka a yoruba woman?
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by ifyalways(f): 4:50pm On Oct 22, 2010
The Original article writer wrote "Nigerian" but our resident copy-and-paste chief turned it to "Yoruba-American" undecided
Aloy,gini bu nsogbu gi?
@Thread,Congrats to the Guy jare.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by AkinEgba: 12:18am On Oct 23, 2010
WTF with my name all over a post I have not even contributed in? Am I that important? BTW, Kudos to the ''Nigerian'' (so-called because he is not really one) who won the award but he is only second to Chimamanda, another ''Nigerian'' who had won the same award in 2008. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 23, 2010
Yoruba-American or Nigerian-American, does it really matter? Let us not occupy ourselves with pettiness and frivolousness. I understand how some might feel a sense of pride because Mr. Dabiri's parents are allegedly Nigerians. But we should not fight amongst ourselves, instead, we should ask ourselves how Nigeria can produce such people because Mr. Dabiri is an American first, not Nigerian. He spoke at my convocation but I did not know until now that he is "Nigerian."
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Kobojunkie: 12:33am On Oct 23, 2010
Genius Grant?[size=14pt] ROFLMAO[/size]!!!
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:55am On Oct 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why are you always "ROFLMAO"ing idiotically? Get up off the floor. The MacArthur Grant is informally known as the "genius grant" because every person who gets the grant is brilliant in some way or another.
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by Kobojunkie: 1:09am On Oct 23, 2010
Re: Nigerian-American Gets Genius Grant by chyz(m): 1:13am On Oct 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Kobo you know ur crazy right? tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 Mistakes Spotted In Goodluck Jonathan’s Christmas Message / Anarchy In The Igbo Nation / Buhari Wins Presidential Election In Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.