Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! (65433 Views)

German-based Nigerian Man Reveals Survival On Expired Supermarket Scraps / Canada Survival Tips For International Students / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by OAOA: 9:45am On Dec 04, 2022
AussieJoan:

Sorry grin cheesy tongue

Don't worry, time will tell grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by OAOA: 9:48am On Dec 04, 2022
Abeg o, whoever can link me up to the Melbourne WhatsApp group, aino mind o embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by zimunachimdi: 5:41pm On Dec 10, 2022
AussieJoan:

Sorry grin cheesy tongue
Good evening ma.
Please I need help on what one can package( foodstuffs) and how to package and label it.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by derommyvent: 8:18am On Dec 11, 2022
Thank you for all the useful tips you are dishing out. Please can you send me the format of the label, my email address is ladelawal@yahoo.com

AussieJoan:
FOOD
Here are some tips for bringing in food into the australia.
Border has been opened and you're excited about traveling but things can turn sour quickly when your beloved food ingredients get thrown away at the airport cry.
1. Create and print a commercial packaging label (it's very easy to do; I can send you a format if you need one). P.S it shiuld be the sticky type that you can affix on the outside of the package.
2. Use a very good packaging bag (ziplock bag or one that can be sealed completely; a type of commercial seal)
3. Make sure your ingredients weigh 500g or less (you can decide to bring 60 bags of dried ugu leaves that weigh 500g or less)
4. It should be in a dried or grinded form.
5. Send mine....address coming soon grin grin grin
P.S It also depends on the type of custom officer you meet, you might follow all the rules to the later but it might not still work out for you therefore you can't neglect the God factor.

Other things you'll need (Covid wise)
1. Australian Declaration form (should be filled at least 3 days before depature)
2. Border permit for the state you'll be going to
3. A covid test 72 hours prior to depature
4. RAT or PCR test within 24 hours after arrival or follow rules of the state.

Goodluck on your journey

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by OAOA: 8:38am On Dec 11, 2022
Please any student who recently traveled to come and give us updated information, please o

Or those who are onshore but have recent information, please help our ministry, biko

I'd advise that a sample of the sticker be sent here so that we can all see it and for future use too
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Samlakin: 4:43pm On Jan 03, 2023
Good day,

I got a PhD full funded scholarship ($30,000 stipend) annually at University of South Australia which will commence by 5th of June. I have sent my transcript and waiting for COE to enable me apply for Visa.

The subclass 500 student visa allow me to go with my wife but I am worried if I will need to have a required sum of money to be declare for her upkeep.

I will appreciate any information in this regards.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by engrlarex(m): 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2023
I just got my visa grant to study at The University of Newcastle.

Please I will like to know what and what I may need to come along with. What to checked at the point of entry.

How to get accommodation around the school?
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by skimpy(f): 12:38am On Jan 06, 2023
I really can’t blame those doctors. Getting Australian license to practice for doctors trained in Nigeria isn’t a walk in the park and sometimes, you’ll look at the quality of life (and family time) you have with your present job and just decide you are content. Some of them will later pursue the license when they have settled other pending aspects of their life and settled most of their urgent black tax.

AussieJoan:
WORK! WORK! WORK!

It's only befitting that I start with this as it is usually the first thing that may cross your mind when the honeymoon phase elapses or in my case, the only thing on my mind 95% of the time. It's a well known fact that you need money to survive here and in order to do that, you need to work. Here's my take on this (please note, this has been my experience so far and you shouldn't take it as gospel).

If you're a student without scholoarship, sponsorship or you're not the child of dangote grin. You know you'll need money to survive.

i) How much are you willing to sacrifice to get that $$. (I like saying except you get a job that pays you $100/hr. It's hard to combine working more than 40 hrs a week and studies- I used to work between 80 to 85hrs per week and it was horrible). There are 3 choices
a) Sacrifice your studies for that cash ( you won't fail but you might not graduate with a distinction of first class.....you might fall in the category of people wey dey shout even P's get degrees). However before going down this route, think about what happens when you finish studying, will your grades affect your future career progression or not?
b) You give equal time to both studies and work: This is self explanatory.
c) You dedicate more time to your studies than working: Like I said earlier if you don't have a fat pocket coming into the country, OYO is your name and this might not work well for you.

ii) After deciding the above, think about what budget will be suitable for your needs. Please, don't make a mistake here, it's better you overestimate your needs than the opposite. Our gist for here na stories that touch the heart.

iii) Connect with people that have the right information you need. Please don't limit yourself to only Nigerians or Africans as you can miss out on a lot of opportunites by doing so.

iv)Research the sector you want to work in and find a job that you either like or can tolerate for a long time. If you get a job that you hate, after 3 months ( you go become regular visitor to HR because you lack motivation to do that job and will do things you aren't supposed to do).

v) After you have gotten the job there are some things you should consider:
a) Does the job closely aligns with what you're studying? (e.g if you're working in aged care and you're a nursing student). If the jobs does, that's good but don't sit down with a company for too long, explore and get other similar jobs. What you should be aiming for is a higher job position and pay so that by the time you are done with your studies.... Your resume would be looking soo juicy that the job you really want won't be out of reach.
b) if the job doesn't align with your future career and the reason that you are working there is because of $$, make sure you shop around and find a job for the highest amount of $$ you can find.

I must mention this. I have heard about some people (Nigerians) who studied medicine in Nigeria and are medical doctors but when they came to Australia they went and sat down in the disability sector. That calabash dem dey shake untop your head for village strong wella, make una continue.

TO BE CONTINUED!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by humblesifon(m): 8:25am On Jan 06, 2023
Hello gurus in the house
Please I need help concerning payment plan of Australian school fees,my desired school is Torrens University, Msc.Accounting.
I read on the website that fees is $45,000.
Please do they accept installmental payment in Torrens or any other institution you know of ?

I just got my Ielts result,had 7.5 overall,so I want to apply for admission.

Please I need input on this,thank you.

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by engrlarex(m): 12:28pm On Jan 06, 2023
skimpy:
I really can’t blame those doctors. Getting Australian license to practice for doctors trained in Nigeria isn’t a walk in the park and sometimes, you’ll look at the quality of life (and family time) you have with your present job and just decide you are content. Some of them will later pursue the license when they have settled other pending aspects of their life and settled most of their urgent black tax.

Thank you for the heads up..what is the maximum dollars one can travel with to start life.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by OAOA: 12:36pm On Jan 06, 2023
engrlarex:

Thank you for the heads up..what is the maximum dollars one can travel with to start life.

10k in cash
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by engrlarex(m): 4:15am On Jan 07, 2023
OAOA:

10k in cash

Thanks for the quick response.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by MercyPraise: 12:16pm On Jan 16, 2023
obainojazz:
You can email me bro cool
I just got admission to Flinders. I will like to discuss with you too, please.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by MercyPraise: 12:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
valveraaaa:
Pls is there anyone who stay in southern australia?i am set to resume in march 2021.msc biotechnology at flinders university.how is that region pls can somenone talk about it.
How is Finders please?
I got admission into their M.A Language Studies to resume February ending. The time is so short. What do you think I should know, please?
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by engrlarex(m): 12:24pm On Jan 18, 2023
OAOA:

10k in cash

The 10K in USD or AUD. I am planning to get some USD from a friend.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by OAOA: 2:10pm On Jan 18, 2023
I think it's USD but I'd advise you dont have upto that in cash but saved in your account to avoid being queried.

You can ask your friend to hold on till when you get in, open an account then the money can be sent to your account for use. However, the money may take like 24/48 hours before it drops because it's a new account so the earlier you open the account, the better.
engrlarex:

The 10K in USD or AUD. I am planning to get some USD from a friend.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by engrlarex(m): 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2023
OAOA:
I think it's USD but I'd advise you dont have upto that in cash but saved in your account to avoid being queried.

You can ask your friend to hold on till when you get in, open an account then the money can be sent to your account for use. However, the money may take like 24/48 hours before it drops because it's a new account so the earlier you open the account, the better.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 2:37pm On Feb 04, 2023
skimpy:

If they decide that life isn't for them, that's a different case but throwing away what they've studied for disability support work isn't worth it in my opinion. The human body won't remain young forever.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Wrap46: 10:48am On Feb 07, 2023
Anyone in Sydney up for a drink tomorrow 👋🏿
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Saverin: 12:41pm On Feb 07, 2023
Pls which IT job can one get as a student?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by SusuBirdie: 6:57pm On Feb 20, 2023
Hi Guys, I would be coming to Adelaide in July and would love to talk to someone who is there. Pls email me
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Bush2013: 12:53am On Feb 27, 2023
Hi, good evening. I am a medical doctor planning to come to Australia for msc. Please can I get work that will pay me well while doing my msc??
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 3:37pm On Feb 27, 2023
Bush2013:
Hi, good evening. I am a medical doctor planning to come to Australia for msc. Please can I get work that will pay me well while doing my msc??

Yes, you can.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 3:38pm On Feb 27, 2023
Wrap46:
Anyone in Sydney up for a drink tomorrow 👋🏿

Maybe join the Nigerian community in Sydney if you haven't.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Bush2013: 3:45pm On Feb 27, 2023
AussieJoan:

Yes, you can.
Thanks, I sent you a dm
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by NittaO: 5:59pm On May 08, 2023
Hi, I am a Medical Doctor also wanting to move to Australia for msc. I sent you an email.
Pls respond.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by NittaO: 6:00pm On May 08, 2023
Bush2013:

Hi, I am a Medical Doctor also wanting to move to Australia for msc. I sent you an email.
Pls respond.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Bush2013: 8:37pm On May 08, 2023
NittaO:

Pls respond.
Thanks
alright
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by MercyPraise: 11:37am On May 22, 2023
I am interested if your offer is still open, please.
WestAfrican:
Hi folks,
Is anyone looking at receiving money from Nigeria or wanting to pay tuition fees in Australia? I may be of assistance.

Can do upto AUS $50,000. Has to be within a week. Message me if you are interested.

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by OAOA: 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2023
WestAfrican:
Anyone wants to pay tuition from 9ja?
Kindly contact me
downunderrwanda@gmail.com

At what rate?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Lagos City: What Adeniyi Jones Looks Like In 2020 (pics, Video) / Cotonou, Benin Republic / My Japa Plan Has Been Destroyed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.