Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,148 members, 7,835,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) (50656 Views)

8 Killed, 12 Severely Injured In The Accidents On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / 12 Ways To Avoid Causing Accidents On The Third-mainland Bridge / Multiple Accidents On Adeniran Ogunsanya Road Surulere – See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by gonkin(m): 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2019
Looks like the accord is giving the hilux a Mouth Action
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by drdanny(m): 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
You only scratched the surface but did not give other theories to the root causes.

You adduced speed as the cause but you did not mention the likely added effects of oscillations on the bridge and windshear from the lagoon. A combination of these three factors could lead to loss of control without any tire incident and a Summersault.

More studies need to be done to validate my points

1 Like

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by atilla(m): 4:46pm On Jun 06, 2019
Surprisingly speed limit on the bridge is 70km/h for cars and 60km/h for buses.If your driving you'll notice the road signs in the middle and recently its now printed on the road itself with white paint. But truly Going at this speed seems ridiculous and most cars will always horn and want to overtake you. You are more likely to cause accidents driving at this speed and staying in the far left lane. shocked shocked I always try to reduce my speed on the bridge You would be surprised that the maximum speed limit in Nigeria is what most people exceed on highways and expresses even driving on any good road e.g lekki express
Really if these limits were enforced/observed the rates of fatal accidents I believe would decrease
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Originalsly: 4:47pm On Jun 06, 2019
Hmmm....overspending is the main cause.... but what's the use posting speed limit signs if there is no speed limit enforcement? The State can make millions by having enforcemet and high fines .... see how quick people would learn to drive carefully instead of recklessly.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by twhy111(m): 4:50pm On Jun 06, 2019
lexyman:

U can do that btw 12noon and 4pm inward island And 9am to 3pm inward iyana oworo

And Most of this accident happens Withing this time of the day .. just very few at night .
Yes I agree with you, but I noticed accident occur more in Nigeria when the 'roads are too good'. We are not disciplined

1 Like

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Ijaycool(f): 4:54pm On Jun 06, 2019
twhy111:
Except you're driving very late in the night, you can't maintain 100km/h on that bridge for long. That bridge is always busy. Nigerians drive recklessly when they see good roads.

My dear, we are not sure when next we will see good road oooh
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by saintade01(m): 4:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
That's true o. I have done 140 on that bridge several times.

Those of you saying traffic, try drive through on Sundays.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by twhy111(m): 5:00pm On Jun 06, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Ijaycool:

grin
Ijaycool:

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Sorrento: 5:17pm On Jun 06, 2019
Billionaire09:
All the bridges in Yorubaland and hausaland are built with the blood of innocent Biafrans. You remember 3×Rs propaganda after the 1970s Biafra ceasefires.

You all want to enjoy your Yoruba bridges while you destroyed Biafrans bridges? Really?
Flantino go sleep.

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by SmartyPants(m): 5:20pm On Jun 06, 2019
Kenmatt:
In general, over speeding is a major contributing factor to most accidents on the road.

I can't forget what my father told me when I was about seven years old. We were traveling to the village on Christmas period, he was on the wheel, another vehicle speedily did over take us, he said, if I am driving, that I should drive according to what I can control. That someone can control 140 very well while another finds it very difficult to control 120. That statement is evergreen in my mind any time I lay my hands on steering.

My father taught me a similar lesson. We were driving to school and one of our mates drove past us at high speed. My dad told us to wait and see how much difference their high speed would make, and indeed when we arrived at school they were still outside the gate.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by BdorianGray(m): 5:45pm On Jun 06, 2019
pocohantas:
My own be say, why do those cars never go across...into the water?

I have never seen/heard about such.

grin

Maybe u can be the first.. I imagine your type, to hone your skills, u fit do 140km/h for that bridge if road free..
No pun intended.. grin
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by BdorianGray(m): 5:51pm On Jun 06, 2019
saintade01:
That's true o. I have done 140 on that bridge several times.

Those of you saying traffic, try drive through on Sundays.

Na G wagon u dey fire... 140km/h ..Speed to fire on top Lag-Ibadan express..
U doing double the aforementioned limit.. U dey try..
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by WealthisHealth: 6:12pm On Jun 06, 2019
Poor G wagon
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2019
I think the reason for the over speed is to cross the bridge before it collapses angry angry grin grin grin
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Small080(m): 6:27pm On Jun 06, 2019
Yepa! Na our state bus be that oh...... grin grin
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by InfoMinister: 6:51pm On Jun 06, 2019
naturalwaves:
100km/h is not too much on the 3rd mainland bridge. It is a misinformation to say that the speed limit is 70km/h. I know I sometimes do 110, 120 but 100 is not too much.
http://www.highwaycode.com.ng/ix-speed-limits-on-different-roads-and-for-different-vehicles.html

Speed Kills
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by kiddkash(m): 6:55pm On Jun 06, 2019
is there banana peel on the road all the cars are just somersaulting
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by naturalwaves: 7:00pm On Jun 06, 2019
InfoMinister:

Speed Kills
Yes, it does!
100km/hr is not a bad speed on the highway
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by rxmusa(m): 7:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
delishpot:
Because you posted full story, I clicked on your link as a reward. cool
Because of this your comment, I went and clicked his link

1 Like

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by udemzyudex(m): 7:21pm On Jun 06, 2019
LOL..danfo no get speedometer ooo,how dem wan take know whether na 70km/h or 100km/h dem dey drive?

Almost all the whole danfo speedometer no dey work cos I dey always try look the speed wey dem dey drive , apart from those mini bus.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by hardbody: 7:24pm On Jun 06, 2019
[quote author=Officialgarri post=79072332]Do cars actually move at 100km/h with such traffic?

If there's no speed limit on that bridge, I believe the maximum speed is 100km/h. Any vehicle moving within that limit did not over speed [/quote

I agree with you completely. A thing less than 100km/hr will be inviting another form of accident. It's an expressway and not a side street or beaten track
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by thebigkendo(m): 7:42pm On Jun 06, 2019
hardbody:
agree with you completely. A thing less than 100km/hr will be inviting another form of accident. It's an expressway and not a side street or beaten track

Speed limit on 3mb is actually 80kmh
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by hermesprogidy(m): 7:44pm On Jun 06, 2019
nokatakata:
Yes people over speed especially the mumu hargad ugly danfo buses. Some Nigerians like to suffer intentionally. You see a bus that is bringing out so much smoke, looking very hargard, dirty, shapeless and bent to one side with the seats looking torn and you still enter it because you claim you are rushing. At the end of the day you put yourself in trouble. Even if they don't have accident, you'll stink of exhaust smoke by the time you get to your destination.

Some funny Toyota corrola and camry drivers too are always speeding something is chasing them. Toyota corrola wey nor balance for ground, dem go dey speed much speed until them lose control get accident.
If you are going to speed anyhow, ensure you are driving a solid car and you know what you are doing.
I agree, German cars are the best for speeding. Their balance is outer-worldy.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 06, 2019
9jaRealist:

Abegi, enough with superstition... undecided

The reality is that many Nigerian drivers are semi-literate or even illiterate...
Even the literate ones have to be properly thought how to drive when they relocate abroad.
>
I'm a realist too.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 06, 2019
9jaRealist:

Abegi, enough with superstition... undecided

The reality is that many Nigerian drivers are semi-literate or even illiterate...
Even the literate ones have to be properly thought how to drive when they relocate abroad.
>
I'm a realist too. You are probably right. Impatient bozos can't even stick to one lane..
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Billionaire09: 8:34pm On Jun 06, 2019
Sorrento:

Flantino go sleep.

You cow.

Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by Slimsly100(f): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2019
Towncrier247:
Ironically, many motorists think that they are supposed to overspeed on that bridge

Maybe because they wanna get off the bridge quickly. grin
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by 9icetoo(m): 10:25pm On Jun 06, 2019
Autojosh, after all the accident pictures, you didn't post a picture of the speed limit sign on 3rd mainland bridge.
The towing vehicle in your post was speeding above 70km/hr too I guess.

I used to like your write-ups but it seems like you don't think them through before posting lately.

Distractions and lane violations are some of the leading causes of accidents on 3mb

The number of drivers who are on their phones and or distracted while on 3mb is shocking.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by 9icetoo(m): 10:27pm On Jun 06, 2019
hermesprogidy:

I agree, German cars are the best for speeding. Their balance is outer-worldy.
I bet you didn't see the g wagon on its roof.
Well, to each his own.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by hermesprogidy(m): 3:56am On Jun 07, 2019
9icetoo:

I bet you didn't see the g wagon on its roof.
Well, to each his own.
I own an Audi A4, sedan . The balance of that car is something else. I don't own a g wagon, so I can't vouch for that, but like you opined, each to his own.
Re: Why There Is Always Accidents On Third-mainland Bridge (see PHOTOS) by mollie12: 10:03pm On Jun 07, 2019
naturalwaves:
100km/h is not too much on the 3rd mainland bridge. It is a misinformation to say that the speed limit is 70km/h. I know I sometimes do 110, 120 but 100 is not too much.
http://www.highwaycode.com.ng/ix-speed-limits-on-different-roads-and-for-different-vehicles.html

Actually, he's right. Your table might be correct, but the bridge is crossing a body of water known for strong cross winds. So that's why the speed limit is reduced for 3MB. If you cross the third mainland bridge, you'll see the strong cross winds caution signs. Cross winds are powerful enough to lift off a car driving on high speed on the bridge, causing the driver to lose control of the car.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Gifts Keke To A Bike Rider Who Used To Carry Him Free & On Credit (Photos) / Access Road To Awka Millennium City(photos) / See, First Ever Suspension Bridge In Nigeria And Africa Location Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.