Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living (324 Views)

Ovunda Ihunwo Sets Port Harcourt Alive With 'Hopes Of The Living Dead' / Corridor Of Hell: Guardians Of The Dead / Puzzles For The Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living by Ugobestikyblog(m): 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2019
“The man that buried his father with cow
and the man that buried his father with hen,
each did according to their ability”. Igbo Proverb.

The chaos and havoc experienced in some families when sharing what a dead man left behind is very alarming and disturbing especially if the dead man was wealthy or an influential person in the country or when he die leaving no will to the children. Even if he has wills, the uncles, Aunties, mothers, kindred, village clans and many other relatives won’t allow those whom the properties are willed to to have peace of mind until there is chaos in the family concerning the sharing of these properties.

Even if your father have nothing, his clothes sometimes cause trouble among his children and some of his relatives especially in a polygamous family. I’m a witness of this. I have seen a brother killed his brother because of his late father’s property. I have witnessed where a sister made her own brother mad because of their late father’s properties. The list goes on and on and on. My mother always told us that there is no gain fighting over the properties of a dead man.

During the sharing of these properties, you come to realise that that your uncle that has one leg can actually fight better than those that have two legs.You will see that that your blind auntie can see better than those that have eyes. You come to realise that salivating on someone’s face is normal and the custom and tradition of your village accept that.

when someone dies, the family gathers to plan for the burial, that is when they will know that the licking roof needs to be replaced, the cracked walls need to be fixed, the floor needs to be tilled, the curtains needs to be replaced then finally the walls need to be painted.
It’s during burial that your family worth are measured by outsiders, if they perceived your family to be rich they want to see a colourful and expensive ceremony on that day but if the funeral wasn’t that big enough to their taste, it shows that your family isn’t rich or among the well-To- Do in the society. If your family is poor, they already knew that they would be the one to contribute for the coffin and drinks, food and palm wines, but bear it in mind for that single help from the kins men from your clan, you must not talk any how to your fellows either in the village or outside the village because if you misbehave or talk to anyone of those who helped to finance your father’s burial any how, they will remind you how they contributed to bury your father and how you could not bury your father and this, would definitely be a shame on your own side. And this kind of statement can make the man in you to fold into scramble of papers. Some people know what I’m saying.

“When my father died on the 30th of October 1998, being the first son I summoned a meeting with the elders of........ READ FULL: https://ugobestiky.com/burying-the-dead-is-more-expensive-than-caring-for-the-living/
Re: Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living by KristaPretty(f): 4:38pm On Jun 06, 2019
If I die, no need for long story.

My children should just inform family members and friends, fix a date, take me to a clean cemetery, talk about my life on earth and what they'd miss about me. After that they bury me surrounded with plenty flowers and everyone should get their legs back to their homes.
Re: Burying The Dead Is More Expensive Than Caring For The Living by Ugobestikyblog(m): 10:01am On Jun 07, 2019
hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Ideas And Time / The Reality Of Life By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / Old Nigerian Literature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.