Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355881 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by MasterforceII: 4:59pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:
SHARWAMA'S APPROVED VISA TRANSCRIPT.
Date: June 7, 2019
Venue: Lagos Consulate
Time:6:30 a.m
Gender of VO: Male
Window: I Didn't notice, I was blown away by his cuteness and jerry curl grin grin grin
Ok it was the second to last window, before the exit door.
I: (Smiling) Good morning sir
V.O: Good morning, please pass me your passport and your I-20.
I did and he was like "please push your passport a little bit further". I pushed it and asked, "is it okay now sir?"
VO: Yes it is. Why are you going to the US
I: (deep breath + killer smile) To uhm, pursue a masters degree in Biology, Biomedical Science Concentration at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City Tennessee.
V.O: Why this degree?
I: I really want to work as a research scientist at a renowned biomedical research Institute here in Nigeria. Unfortunately, a masters degree in Biology or a closely related field is the minimum requirement for such a position. So this degree would not just help me hone my research skills or build my critical thinking, it would qualify me for the position I really want, when I return.
V.O: So why did you pick this school?
I: (Gesticulating with magical hands) For me, it wasn't just about the generous funding I received, which I am extremely grateful for by the way, it had a lot more to do with the student-faculty relationship I have built with my potential supervisor, professor Burna boy. We Skyped a couple of times and we have chosen a thesis topic I am super excited about.
V.O: What other schools did you apply to?
I: I applied at Texas A&M University, Commerce
VO: uhum(while typing)
I: Cleveland State University Ohio and Kansas State University Manhattan Kansas.
VO: Have you travelled out of the country before?
I: I have not had the need to sir.
VO: Are you married
I: No sir
V.O: You said you have funding, let me see the evidence
I: My school did not give me an official letter but it's on the I-20(I pointed at the document so he looked at it)
V.O: Ok I see $9590 to be payed by someone ,who is this?
I: That's my mum sir
V.O: What does she do?
I: My mum is a business woman, she sells African fabrics and traditional bridal attires
V.O: Yes do you have any proof, I want to see evidence.
I was confused and he mentioned "or bank statement"
I: (Killer smile)Yes, with all pleasure. Just a moment please.
So I got the bank statement
V.O(while looking at the statement) Doesn't your mum have other children to sponsor in school?
I: (I never expected that question, so my English technically failed me, so I looked at him and answered) All of us have finished school, it remainder two of us.
I was so embarrassed about my grammatical blunder but I was glad he understood the point, we were all done with school except two of my siblings.
V.O: Ok, I will be approving your Visa. He hands me the white paper. Talked about pick up in three working days, gave me back my SOA and I-20, asked me to keep it carefully and I would need the latter at the port of entry... Told me to have a wonderful day
I: (Killer smile) Thank you and have a wonderful rest of the day too.
Yup, I bounced out of the building grin
THE END grin grin grin

Congrats Shawarma! So happy for you. See you in Trumpland.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:
V.O: Ok, I will be approving your Visa. He hands me the white paper. Talked about pick up in three working days, gave me back my SOA and I-20, asked me to keep it carefully and I would need the latter at the port of entry... Told me to have a wonderful day

Congratulations. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Talksub(m): 5:17pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:
SHARWAMA’S DIARY OF GRATITUDE.
So I just got back from DHL and I have my passport grin
Mama I made it, it's no longer a dream or a story I wrote out of anxiety. It's real. All I feel right now is gratitude, pure gratitude. There's got to be a God up there who really cares about Sharwama a lot and His angels are all over NL, yes I have encountered some of them, I know them by name. I will post my transcript shortly but first, I'd like to write about the amazing angels I met on this platform, who became a great part of my success story.
TEXREM
After writing my GRE and TOEFL last year September 28 and October 27 respectfully, my best friend Ayo told me to go to NL and look for someone named Texrem. She said, "he is so busy but if he accepts to help you, you'd be in safe hands". So I created a username just so I could contact Texrem. I remember sending him a message asking for his help as I commenced the journey of choosing schools and applying. I remember his reply “I would be glad to help you”
He didn’t have to keep to his words, but he did anyways.
First, he went through my SOP’s for some schools, despite his busy schedule and said they were ok. However, at the bottom of that mail, he wrote “also apply to ETSU!’
ETSU was already on my mind and with Texrem’s "order", I shaa shaa applied.
March 13, I received my admission letter from ETSU with international merit scholarship that covered 50% of tuition. I was super excited and I informed Texrem. Few days later, I got a GA offer from the department of Biology, estimated at $35,906, my deficit was $9,590 (insurance inclusive) and I fainted. I didn’t even apply or ask anyone for asssitanship. I believe it had to do with applying early( before the priority deadline) and my overall application. The offer was just too generous and I also informed Texrem.
He has really been a part of the whole process, you know.
From guiding me on how to complete my dynamic form, getting the right financial statetment for my I-20, to paying my SEVIS fee and I-20 shipping fee. Yeah he handled all that grin
Then professors started writing to me, trying to convince me to pursue thesis in their labs, giving assurance of how much impact working with them would have on my career. It was overwhelming. I felt like a celebrity, I swear down! Again Texrem was there to caution and guide me. He directed me on how to schedule skype interviews with professors and I was eventually able to choose a lab I love. He taught me how to politely say "No" to a professor. I never sent a mail without Texrem going through it. I mean I always thought it was a bad thing to turn down offers from people you hold in high esteem but not anymore. I’m allowed to respectfully say NO.
Texrem also guided me on how to schedule my interview and complete DS -160. Although my interview was booked for June 7, I sent my transcript in the first week of April, he took time to read and approved. I also kept mentioning that I needed a mock interview, he didn't even answer me for that one grin
Instead he did something I would never forget in my life!
It was on a hot afternoon on the second/third week of April. By after 3, I was having my siesta when my phone rang.
It was Texrem, I kukuma picked.
Me: Good afternoon,
T: Good afternoon. Then he said Good morning
Me: oh, yes the time difference, sorry.
Next thing I heard was
What’s your study plan?
I froze instantly, I mean which one is study plan again this hot afternoon?
Then it hit me! That was an interview question!
I screamed out loud “Texrem No, Texrem nooooo, I am not ready at all at all. I mean I didn't see this coming"
He didn’t even answer me, he was quiet, he was waiting patiently.
I took deep breaths and answered.
Brethren from that moment, it was a back to back something! Uncle kept bombarding me with questions, sounding so formal and official, I nearly piss for body, I swear down.
You know my favourite part? Where he said “ I will be approving your visa” and ended the call. I cried ooo, I was like Lord I want to hear same words from a VO.
That surprise mock interview gave me a whole new level of confidence. He showed me what pressure felt like and I knew I could handle the real interview. I was anxious but hell yeah I was ready…
As my interview drew imminent, I tried getting him to do a second mock but he was extremely busy. A day to my interview, he called me.
June 6th, I was sounding so low that evening; fear, anxiety and uncertainties. I thought he called to do mock for me, instead he left several tips and words of encouragement before ending the call like ; I believe you have gotten the visa, you already have great responses, just go and deliver, make sure you smile, have pauses before and between your sentences, so it won't seem like you crammed, be polite to the VO, it's okay to say sir/ma, it won't kill you, make sure you stare into the VO's eyes while answering, like see I no dey commot here without white paper grin grin grin
There are so many more phenomenal things I wish I could share but I’d rather press pause here because words have started failing me or maybe it's coz I have started crying. Like look how far Sharwama has come. From reading for over 9 hours everyday for GRE and 6 hours daily for TOEFL, writing essays/letters of intent/ diversity statement. I even quit my job. Gosh, it's all over now, it freaking paid off.
So this is me saying I owe so much to you; thank you Texrem, for everything that you do, for pushing me when I needed to be pushed, for scolding me when I failed to follow simple instructions, for believing in me when I couldn't believe in myself, for all the crazy jokes that made me laugh, for making out time for me despite how tight your schedule is, and most of all, for "coming down to my level". Thank you so much. I really hope you can be proud of me and how much I have evolved on this journey. Yes, I am coming to TN to buy you chicken and chips grin grin grin God bless you immensely, you are the best!
NAIRA0
I got to know him personally last month(May 1). I didn't even know he was a tech guy, I just loved his maturity. Naira0 has been super supportive, from checking up Sharwama , to offering his blunt opinions and even conducting an intensive mock interview for me. This guy drilled me that day, hey fada! questions I never expected and so on. At the end he was like "I wanted to make sure you can think under pressure and you can. That's a good thing"
So yeah, I had two mock interviews from two cute tech guys, all hail Queen Sharwama, the baddest of them all grin grin grin
June 1st, When I was so worried about the new social media check, Naira0 kept reassuring me "Sharwama as long as you are not a terrorist and into shady stuff, you will be fine" He really gave me so much mental, spiritual and emotional support, something only a kind heart can do for another.
Naira0, if you are reading this, I tried to write your name correctly for once in my life grin. I just want to thank you for everything you have done for me, I wish I could write more. You are nairamazing and I can't thank you enough. You are a friend and a blessing indeed.
ORIMAHSPENCE
No, he is not a tech guy but he is so adorable grin I got to know him last month. If the visa fever comes in the middle of the day or at night, I could easily chat him up and he would have something super encouraging to say or share. Plus he is an amazing writer, that might explain the initial connection wink
Spence, thank you for all that you have done for me, for your calls and messages, for your kind words and relentless support. You never stopped wishing me well on this journey and you saved my ass from a stupid mistake I would have made. How about I buy you a cold bottle of dom perignon at some place really nice in Tennessee, I look forward to it, I mean what do you think? I'm just so grateful grin
Ultimately, to my Nairaland family, what would I have done without you guys? Thank you for accepting this drama queen, for embracing my creative madness and for letting me drink from springs of wisdom and years of inestimable experience. Thank you so much, can we have a group hug please grin grin grin
I will post my transcript ASAP and I will try not to paint anything, straight to the point, bracelum's style grin
Wait let me drink water first biko grin grin grin

Hey girl !

I am like 3weeks old here . Please can you guide me just the way Texrem helped you ?

Firstly what was your GRE score ?

What materials did you use ?

I wrote a graduate coordinator in a university I intend to apply to and he said if I need to get 163 in quant . For an MSc in mechanical engineering

I don’t have money for tuition so I am in need for full funding .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Kay100: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:
Window: I Didn't notice, I was blown away by his cuteness and jerry curl grin grin grin
I did and he was like "please push your passport a little bit further". I pushed it and asked, "is it okay now sir?"
I: (deep breath + killer smile) To uhm, pursue a masters degree in Biology, Biomedical Science Concentration at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City Tennessee.
I: I really want to work as a research scientist at a renowned biomedical research Institute here in Nigeria. Unfortunately, a masters degree in Biology or a closely related field is the minimum requirement for such a position. So this degree would not just help me hone my research skills or build my critical thinking, it would qualify me for the position I really want, when I return.
I: (Gesticulating with magical hands) For me, it wasn't just about the generous funding I received, which I am extremely grateful for by the way, it had a lot more to do with the student-faculty relationship I have built with my potential supervisor, professor Burna boy. We Skyped a couple of times and we have chosen a thesis topic I am super excited about.
I: Cleveland State University Ohio and Kansas State University Manhattan Kansas.
I: My school did not give me an official letter but it's on the I-20(I pointed at the document so he looked at it)
I: My mum is a business woman, she sells African fabrics and traditional bridal attires
V.O(while looking at the statement) Doesn't your mum have other children to sponsor in school?
I: (I never expected that question, so my English technically failed me, so I looked at him and answered) All of us have finished school, it remainder two of us.
I was so embarrassed about my grammatical blunder but I was glad he understood the point, we were all done with school except two of my siblings.
I bounced out of the building grin
THE END grin grin grin
Congratulations mummy..i'm so happy 4 u grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zolargeo: 5:21pm On Jun 13, 2019
I was denied last year, but I have booked another appointment for 1st of July. please I need someone that can train me against my appointment date and I will be very grateful. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 5:23pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:
Time:6:30 a.m grin grin

Congratulations young lady.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2019
Talksub:

Hey girl !

I am like 3weeks old here . Please can you guide me just the way Texrem helped you ?

I wrote a graduate coordinator in a university I intend to apply to and he said if I need to get 163 in quant . For an MSc in mechanical engineering

Get good scores on your GRE and apply to University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Apply very early. My 2 cents.

Best!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flairlady(f): 5:31pm On Jun 13, 2019
Brown2Green:
T'will make things easier for you.
Thank you.I have ordered for a new one.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flairlady(f): 5:41pm On Jun 13, 2019
So the last time I was at the embassy in December,2017,I went with Lincoln university's I-20 for MBA.Now I am going for a doctorate degree.How do I explain this change?I applied for that MBA because I was fed up with my job and wanted to do something new,and I lacked the drive and motivation to do PhD at that time. The admission process to Lincoln university was also very easy and the school was cheap.
What convincing response can I give the VO when asked why I changed the course,school and class of degree?
Please help me.My interview is next week.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2019
I carry pen and paper siddon dey write una names ooo because if I say make I reply one by one, the thread go enter part 16 grin grin grin
Body dey sweet me as una take dey congratulate me, Sharwama don blow grin
Thank you so much olumuyiwalasode, mummy LagosismyHome, dwilliam707, Davidkking, Yeechi, heeedreez, Wretch32, Neeta02, Floral895, Hybeenoni, Dhebie19, twittycutey, dreambound, Brown2Green, Nehemiah77, Tohajan, Gloryemo, Nobody, TheZed, Masterforcell, nelem, Kay100, Johnolukolade.
This is Batch A stream 1 gringrin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:44pm On Jun 13, 2019
flairlady:
So the last time I was at the embassy in December,2017,I went with Lincoln university's I-20 for MBA.Now I am going for a doctorate degree.How do I explain this change?I applied for that MBA because I was fed up with my job and wanted to do something new,and I lacked the drive and motivation to do PhD at that time. The admission process to Lincoln university was also very easy and the school was cheap.
What convincing response can I give the VO when asked why I changed the course,school and class of degree?

How much better is this new school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 5:44pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:

THE END
Congratulations on your approval.
I said in my head a couple of times that your visa has got to be approved because your loquaciousness demands it. More reason to be garrulous now.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 5:47pm On Jun 13, 2019
sharwama:
I carry pen and paper siddon dey write una names ooo because if I say make I reply one by one, the thread go enter part 16 grin grin grin
Thank you so much olumuyiwalasode, mummy LagosismyHome, dwilliam707, Davidkking, Yeechi, heeedreez, Wretch32, Neeta02, Floral895, Hybeenoni, Dhebie19, twittycutey, dreambound, Brown2Green, Nehemiah77, Tohajan, Gloryemo, Nobody, TheZed, Masterforcell, nelem, Kay100, Johnolukolade.

Congratulations. thank you so much for sharing this apt transcript. safetrip to Trumpland

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 5:49pm On Jun 13, 2019
flairlady:

Lincoln University .... Cheap.

Obviously the Red Flag school.

Who can help you answer what gave you motivation?

It must be connected to your career and only you knows about you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zolargeo: 5:49pm On Jun 13, 2019
zolargeo:
I was denied last year, but I have booked another appointment for 1st of July. please I need someone that can train me against my appointment date and I will be very grateful. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 5:51pm On Jun 13, 2019
Davidkking:
Is this the application ID?
cry cry cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 5:54pm On Jun 13, 2019
Davidkking:

cry cry cry

No
The application ID is on the top right corner of your DS 160 application form.
Not your Visa application form.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flairlady(f): 5:55pm On Jun 13, 2019
LagosismyHome:

How much better is this new school
Texas Tech University, with full funding.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 5:55pm On Jun 13, 2019
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 5:56pm On Jun 13, 2019
zolargeo:

If you need personal drilling, PM me.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by xcaper(m): 5:58pm On Jun 13, 2019
Congrats Sharwama
sharwama:
THE END grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 6:00pm On Jun 13, 2019
Talksub:

Hey girl !

There's a special thread for GRE and I have attached the link.
https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre
I am sure it would be very helpful and you will find great answers there.
I can't remember the books I used, I think I was so desperate for a high score and I used all the textbooks B.Y Mafit sent to me when I registered with them.
Magoosh is also very important. Visa preparations have erased my GRE memories grin grin grin
I don't have any idea about your prospective program or schools that offer full funding for it, I am so sorry.
Had it been you congratulated me, I would have told you my GRE score and added TOEFL as jara, well it is too late now grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 6:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
grin grin grin

sharwama:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flairlady(f): 6:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
Brown2Green:

Lincoln University .... Cheap.

Obviously the Red Flag school.

Who can help you answer what gave you motivation?

It must be connected to your career and only you knows about you.
I don't think the reasons that motivated me to apply were good enough.So I am confused.Can I really state those reasons I gave up there to the VO?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Noirlune: 6:02pm On Jun 13, 2019
Is anyone here headed to Minnesota?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hybeenoni: 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2019
flairlady:

Texas Tech University, with full funding.

@ Flairlady you heading to Texas tech University also?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2019
Neeta02:
Congratulations Sharwama!
Please can I PM you?
I reply with the speed of light, you need no permission grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Talksub(m): 6:05pm On Jun 13, 2019
Johnolukolade:

Get good scores on your GRE and apply to University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Apply very early. My 2 cents.

Best!

Thank you ! I am currently preparing hard for GRE so as soon as I have that I can now start applying writing July 23 . I applying for spring next year .

I am hopeful that I will get full funding , with a Good score and statement of purpose .

I want to apply to only four schools ,but first time is to smash my GRE score .

What other uni do you suggest I also apply to ?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flairlady(f): 6:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
hybeenoni:

@ Flairlady you heading to Texas tech University also?
Yes,I am.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 6:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
flairlady:

I don't think the reasons that motivated me to apply were good enough.So I am confused.Can I really state those reasons I gave up there to the VO?

Reason for changing school should be that you are more enlightened and made informed decisions + somthing about your intended course.
Lincoln is obviously red flagged.

I cannot tell on how to say why you changed course as I don't know much about your professional portfolio.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flairlady(f): 6:16pm On Jun 13, 2019
Brown2Green:

Reason for changing school should be that you are more enlightened and made informed decisions + somthing about your intended course.
Lincoln is obviously red flagged.

I cannot tell on how to say why you changed course as I don't know much about your professional portfolio.
Okay, thank you.
I hold a bachelor's and master's degree in food science and nutrition.I am going for a doctorate in nutritional sciences.When I applied for the MBA I was working in the sales and marketing department of a small company,and prior to that time,I never did any job related to my degrees.I now currently work as a lecturer.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2019
Talksub:

Thank you ! I am currently preparing hard for GRE so as soon as I have that I can now start applying writing July 23 . I applying for spring next year .

I am hopeful that I will get full funding , with a Good score and statement of purpose .

I want to apply to only four schools ,but first time is to smash my GRE score .

What other uni do you suggest I also apply to ?

Oh well, academic calendar in the US starts basically in July, which is for the Fall.. This means every annual budgets are prepared during that period.

So, your plans to apply for Spring might not favor you enough to get a FULL funding that's even if you get a partial. That being said, my little advice for you is to take a chill and start mailing professors now against Fall 2020. However, if you're a very STRONG candidate, a potential supervisor can maneuver protocols for you to have you in his/her lab/dept. Nothing is impossible my brother.

Best!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.