Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,933 members, 7,817,722 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (230) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1360966 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:00pm On Aug 15, 2019
Well done. wink
Brown2Green:
With Love from Illinois...

My Visa was approved on the 2nd of August.

Scholarship $13,000
Deficits 17,0000

VO .. So why are you going to the Northern Illinois University?
Me: Coupled with the funds which covers my Tuition, NIU will give me the opportunity to have a double degree, ..
VO: Hold on, Types for a long time and tells me to proceed.
Me: A Masters degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering and a Masters degree in Logistics and Operations. Most interesting to me is the fact that the course structure emphasizes on Lean Manufacturing, Large Scale Optimization, Process Optimization and Industrial Automation.
VO: What did you study for your UG?
Me: Electrical Engineering
VO: What is your current role?
Me: I work as a business analyst, basically communicate with the Technical, Finance and Human Resource Managers to collect sufficient data to help in outlining the problems, opportunities and solution to help them in making informed decisions.
VO: How does that relate with Industrial Engineering?
Me: My vertical market cuts across the manufacturing and Information Technology Industries.
VO: What's your Thesis on?
Me: Advanced Simulation, Visualization and Modelling of product design and development.
VO: What product will you be manufacturing?
Me: It covers the entire Manufacturing and Business Process.
VO: Who'll be paying for the deficits?
Me: My uncle..
VO: Why will your uncle pay?
Me: actually, He is not just an uncle to me, he is an inspiration. Inspired me to get the Chevron scholarship, the NYSC states award as best Corp Member, built my career from ground zero to a point where I'm been invited to speak at functions across the country, was part of the 50 man planning committee for the Senate,
My uncle knows I'm very promising and knows the Return on Investment this degree will fetch me.
VO: I'll be approving your Visa. You'll need this at the point of entry...

@Drakales @fairheart and all who reached out to me , I cannot say how much grateful I am.
I was denied in Lagos, Inspire hundreds of people daily but could barely inspire myself to take that long journey to Abuja.

I have a lot to say to the Spring 20 and Fall 20 hopefuls.

Brown 2 Green has both been denied and approved. So he knows what both feels like.

God Speed to those on AP, God's speed to those waiting on the Visa.

Peace.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:02pm On Aug 15, 2019
write here for the GRE textbooks:

kevwemanuel:
For the past few days, I've been going through this thread, and assuming it's a church, I'd exclaim: "God is here". Regardless, indeed, God is here. I thank God for making me find this thread, and I thank everyone here for making it a success.

Despite my very shallow pocket, I'd love to share my own testimony come fall 2020, and to achieve that I want to start by taking the GRE and TOEFL. By God's grace, I already have a CGPA above 4.5.

My questions:

1) With a CGPA above 4.5, do I have any advantage in my quest for a full ride?

2) I intend to write the GRE and TOEFL by October ending, and get scores capable of giving me a fully funded scholarship (mehn, I'm currently a broke ass niggar and this journey will be impossible without a scholarship). Is this timeline feasible for both exams?

3) If I get my GRE and TOEFL scores by October ending, will it be too late to get full funding for fall 2020 admission?

4) With a fully funded scholarship (without any deficit), can I get a visa without a statement of account?

6) Can I start applying to schools now without my GRE and TOEFL, and later send them my scores once available?

7) Please I'd appreciate if anyone with study materials on GRE and TOEFL can send to me on : kevwemanuel at gmail.com

Thanks alot in anticipation of a response to me
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
Congrats. Oh my! so many good news!
Quonchovsymenez:
Visa approved on the 5th of August 2019
Thanks to y'all especially shawarma, fairheart,lagosismyhome. Sorry if I've missed you out,joy just full my body..

Them just deny like three pple for my front, hmm I just dey pray make I no ballin the white man hand (forgotten the window tho). Next stop am inftont of him.

Me : Good morning
VO : Morning pass me your passport and I-20
VO : Oh Michigan Tech
Me :Yea
VO : Mechanical Engineering for your master's degree
Me : Yea
VO : Same mechanical as an undergrad?
Me :Yea
VO : What was your hardest course (wasn't expecting this)
Me : Advanced Heat and Mass transfer
VO : Why this course and which topic?
Me: I was thought most of the theoretical part of the course in school although it had a practical part. Xo due the theoretical knowledge I have only for this course makes it difficult for me. And the topic that was quite challenging was Radiation.
VO : What part of radiation?
Me: Black body and di-electric.
VO : Your Aunt is sponsoring you?
Me : Yea sure
VO : why is she sponsoring you.
Me : Fiammmmmm everything I wanted to say don fly comot, was mixing words at this point. I just looked at the VO and told him am tensed up, he smiled I took in two deep breaths and with a smile I delivered my speech. Apart from the fact that she sponsored my part of my undergraduate study, she's a business woman and we have similar interest, she owns lots of American vehicles which she uses for business mist times I maintain these vehicles because I have the necessary tools and skill, so I them told her about my plans to gain more skills and setup my own auto repair shop. She believes in my abilities and thinks with proper training and certifications I can do better and manage my own auto repair shop. She also bought the idea on the condition that I will also maintain her cars.(smiling).
VO : What's s she into?
Me: She's into real estate, oil and gas, she owns alot of gas station in the country.
The VO just reached out his hands to the white paper, saying the usual stuff and the words doing the usual in from one ear and out from the other. I just collected the paper and left.

Thanks y'all once again, for those preparing for their visa interview I wish you success. Preparation begets confidence, confidence begets success.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by olasijiayo: 2:07pm On Aug 15, 2019
congrats bro , do you know if your sponsor got called?
khaniku:

Yes.
Interview date: 2nd August
Case update: 8th of August
Got issued today
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wizzyosi11: 2:07pm On Aug 15, 2019
khaniku:

Yes.
Interview date: 2nd August
Case update: 8th of August
Got issued today
Abuja Embassy?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by khaniku(m): 2:11pm On Aug 15, 2019
olasijiayo:
congrats bro , do you know if your sponsor got called?
Thanks bro.
No they didn't contact my sponsor.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by khaniku(m): 2:11pm On Aug 15, 2019
Wizzyosi11:

Abuja Embassy?
Yes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wizzyosi11: 2:24pm On Aug 15, 2019
khaniku:

Yes
I sent you an email
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by olasijiayo: 2:31pm On Aug 15, 2019
one more question , what was the reason you were on AP did the VO say they were gonna check SOA ?
khaniku:

Thanks bro.
No they didn't contact my sponsor.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by femijohn21(m): 3:15pm On Aug 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am new here and can see most people are very excited. Pls, I need someone to carry me along, I know is all about studying abroad but the terms "fall", "spring" I can't just comprehend.

I also wish to have my MSc done abroad. if there is a link that newbies like me can read information from, I would really appreciate it. I have started reading from the first page but don't just really get what you guys are saying.

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:21pm On Aug 15, 2019
femijohn21:
Hello everyone,

I am new here and can see most people are very excited. Pls, I need someone to carry me along, I know is all about studying abroad but the terms "fall", "spring" I can't just comprehend.

I also wish to have my MSc done abroad. if there is a link that newbies like me can read information from, I would really appreciate it. I have started reading from the first page but don't just really get what you guys are saying.

Thanks

Fall...means resuming around August . More admissions and funding at this session

Spring means resuming around January
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by femijohn21(m): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Fall...means resuming around August . More admissions and funding at this session

Thanks for your swift response.

August this year is out already. I want to plan for August 2020. Pls, what are the steps to take to key into this?

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by femijohn21(m): 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Thanks for the Swift response.

It is obvious that August this year is no longer a catch for me.

I want to plan towards August 2020. Please, what are the steps to take to key in into this?

Thanks so much for your time.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2019
Who else has had a status update from AP
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by khaniku(m): 5:21pm On Aug 15, 2019
Approved Transcript.

Interview Date: 2nd August 2019, Abuja
School: SHSU
Course: Computer Science, MSc
Funding: GA and scholarship
Deficit: 3k

So I would start with the preliminaries because it played a big part in my interview.
While on the queue, I was listening to the guy before me at the booth I was certain I was going to be called to next . I overheard him listing some of the course he would be taking and at that point based on what he said and some other of his responses, I realised we were going to the same school and same program. I knew then, it was going to be an interesting interview.

Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning
VO: Pass me your passport and I-20
…I did
VO: Mr. (she tried to pronounce my last name correctly).
….I smiled and corrected her.
She looks at my I-20, and I could see the surprise and awe in her face
VO: Do you know that guy that just left here?
Me: (I laughed) No I don’t but I overheard him listing some of the courses he will be taking and that caught my attention, and I started listening in and realise that we are both going to the same school and program.
VO: Yeah, same school and program, and same funding too.
Me: (still laughing) Wow, what are the odds
VO: (VO laughs) I know right, what are the odds of you guys coming right after one another and don’t know yourself.
VO: Have you applied for a US visa before.
Me: Yes but I was denied
VO: what’s your date of birth
Me: Told her
VO: Tourist visa yeah? Your denial
Me: yes, in 2014
VO: which secondary school did you finish from and year?
Me: 2010 (told her the school)
VO: When did you finish university?
Me: 2016, studied mathematics and computer science
…she took the other guy’s passport, was typing on her computer
VO: what have you been doing since you finished school.
Me: after my NYSC in 2017, I have been working as a software engineer with an IT firm here in Abuja.
VO: Do you code?
Me: Yes
VO: What languages?
Me: Javascript, PHP and python
VO: So you don’t know that guy?
Me: (I smiled) No
She took the guy’s passport and ask me to give her a minute. Came back some minutes later
VO: So how did you find out about this school?
Me: I did my research online on usnews and masterportal, I was looking at schools that focuses on some core areas in computer science that I would like strengthen my knowledge on like algorithm design and analysis, software engineering ….VO cuts me off here.
VO: A lot of schools in the US offer those courses.
Me: Yes I know, but I was also looking at schools I have the requirements to apply to, that has great learning facilities and professors and SHSU is ranked among the top 10 best public universities in Texas.
VO: Did you apply to any other school?
Me:Yes, CMU and UMass Boston. I got admitted to both SHSU and CMU.
VO: SHSU is the only school that gave you funding?
VO: Did you write GRE?
Me: Yes, I wrote both GRE and TOEFL
VO: what was your score?
Me: GRE 305, TOEFL 105.
VO: What is your thesis going to be on?
Me: My thesis is going to be on software engineering and I would be focusing on data modelling, which is the process of structuring and organising data.
VO: Your assistantship and scholarship covers much of your program, who’s paying for the deficit?
Me: My brother
VO: Any document to show that he is supporting you financially.
Me: Yes (hands her SOA)
VO: (flips through first and second page) I would be keeping this document to verify its authenticity.
Me: Ok, no problem
VO: Can you please take a seat, I would right back.
…I sat and waited for 5 mins. After she came back, called my name.
VO: I am going to be placing you on Administrative Processing, We need to verify some of your information with the school.
Me: Ok. Can I ask how long that’s going to take?
VO: we should be able to call the school today but since its already weekend, most likely we would do that on Monday(5th).
…Handed me the 221g pink slip.
Me: Thank you and have a great day
VO: Have a great day too

I got the contact of the other guy, he was placed on AP too after being originally issued without any document asked.
Our case were both updated on the 8th, he was issued on the 9th and I was issued today.

To everyone on AP just keep praying and believing, i know it's not easy but it's all going to work out.
Much appreciation to people that take out of their time to help people out here when they can.
I appreciate you guys.
I hope this transcript be of help to somebody.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by olasijiayo: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2019
khaniku:
Approved Transcript.

So I would start with the preliminaries because it played a big part in my interview.
While on the queue, I was listening to the guy before me at the booth I was certain I was going to be called to next . I overheard him listing some of the course he would be taking and at that point based on what he said and some other of his responses, I realised we were going to the same school and same program. I knew then, it was going to be an interesting interview.

…I did
Me: (I laughed) No I don’t but I overheard him listing some of the courses he will be taking and that caught my attention, and I started listening in and realise that we are both going to the same school and program.
VO: (VO laughs) I know right, what are the odds of you guys coming right after one another and don’t know yourself.
Me: after my NYSC in 2017, I have been working as a software engineer with an IT firm here in Abuja.
She took the guy’s passport and ask me to give her a minute. Came back some minutes later
Me: I did my research online on usnews and masterportal, I was looking at schools that focuses on some core areas in computer science that I would like strengthen my knowledge on like algorithm design and analysis, software engineering ….VO cuts me off here.
Me: Yes I know, but I was also looking at schools I have the requirements to apply to, that has great learning facilities and professors and SHSU is ranked among the top 10 best public universities in Texas.
Me: My thesis is going to be on software engineering and I would be focusing on data modelling, which is the process of structuring and organising data.
VO: Your assistantship and scholarship covers much of your program, who’s paying for the deficit?
VO: (flips through first and second page) I would be keeping this document to verify its authenticity.
VO: I am going to be placing you on Administrative Processing, We need to verify some of your information with the school.
VO: we should be able to call the school today but since its already weekend, most likely we would do that on Monday(5th).

I got the contact of the other guy, he was placed on AP too after being originally issued without any document asked.
Our case were both updated on the 8th, he was issued on the 9th and I was issued today.

To everyone on AP just keep praying and believing, i know it's not easy but it's all going to work out.
Much appreciation to people that take out of their time to help people out here when they can.
I appreciate you guys.

wow these people work in various way sha, happy for you, can only be the Lords doing!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Swerveking14: 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2019
khaniku:
Approved Transcript.

…I did

I appreciate you guys.
Congratulations... I tap into your blessing

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Legit215(m): 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2019
Kindly ask the school what kind of evaluation is required because the fee of $157 dollars is for a document by document evaluation and not all schools accept that but a "course by course evaluation" which is around $257... Neco process is same with Waec.. Thanks
Janet200:
Please how much is wes evaluation for high school evaluation , I saw $157 just want to confirm before I make payment for my sibling,and has any one send neco to Wes if yes what was the process, am very familiar with waec not neco. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pharmz(m): 10:29pm On Aug 15, 2019
Khanika, please kindly reach me on famartolan@yahoo.com thanks.

I'm also on AP since Aug 8th, my SOA was withheld for further verification.
Will need to ask you few questions
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by calculator123(m): 1:11am On Aug 16, 2019
RealBadBoy:
Please I'm currently in a dilemma searching for universities with deadline in February or march considering the fact that I need to get full funding as well as get other components of my application ready

Profile:

Civil engineering
Intended degree: PhD

You didn't state your standardized test scores, number of publications etc.
This might aid more advices
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by calculator123(m): 1:11am On Aug 16, 2019
RealBadBoy:
Please I'm currently in a dilemma searching for universities with deadline in February or march considering the fact that I need to get full funding as well as get other components of my application ready

Profile:

Civil engineering
Intended degree: PhD

This might aid more advices ..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Unigrad: 1:19am On Aug 16, 2019
Good evening.
I studied Medical Laboratory Science with a CGPA of 3.75/5 in a Nigeria federal university. I intend to do my masters in same course in the US.
I need proper info on how to get the school that offer the course, scholarship and Visa application.
I need info from the beginning to the end.
Thank you for your prompt response.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by calculator123(m): 1:22am On Aug 16, 2019
khaniku:
Approved Transcript.

…I did

I appreciate you guys.
Congratulations, your transcript was a delight to read

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by learner007(m): 4:16am On Aug 16, 2019
Sosao:
The lady in charge of international students said they don’t give extension letter that I should contact my program director...my PD told me to contact another person. The person now has hang replied my email or calls

I am only going to encourage you to keep hopes up high. However, you may need to brace up for a late approval, a case where you just need to defer till Spring 2020, which is just a couple of months away. You go dey all right, no doubt! Peace
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by learner007(m): 4:22am On Aug 16, 2019
Brown2Green:
With Love from Illinois...

My Visa was approved on the 2nd of August.

Scholarship $13,000
Deficits 17,0000

VO .. So why are you going to the Northern Illinois University?
Me: Coupled with the funds which covers my Tuition, NIU will give me the opportunity to have a double degree, ..
VO: Hold on, Types for a long time and tells me to proceed.
Me: A Masters degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering and a Masters degree in Logistics and Operations. Most interesting to me is the fact that the course structure emphasizes on Lean Manufacturing, Large Scale Optimization, Process Optimization and Industrial Automation.
VO: What did you study for your UG?
Me: Electrical Engineering
VO: What is your current role?
Me: I work as a business analyst, basically communicate with the Technical, Finance and Human Resource Managers to collect sufficient data to help in outlining the problems, opportunities and solution to help them in making informed decisions.
VO: How does that relate with Industrial Engineering?
Me: My vertical market cuts across the manufacturing and Information Technology Industries.
VO: What's your Thesis on?
Me: Advanced Simulation, Visualization and Modelling of product design and development.
VO: What product will you be manufacturing?
Me: It covers the entire Manufacturing and Business Process.
VO: Who'll be paying for the deficits?
Me: My uncle..
VO: Why will your uncle pay?
Me: actually, He is not just an uncle to me, he is an inspiration. Inspired me to get the Chevron scholarship, the NYSC states award as best Corp Member, built my career from ground zero to a point where I'm been invited to speak at functions across the country, was part of the 50 man planning committee for the Senate,
My uncle knows I'm very promising and knows the Return on Investment this degree will fetch me.
VO: I'll be approving your Visa. You'll need this at the point of entry...

@Drakales @fairheart and all who reached out to me , I cannot say how much grateful I am.
I was denied in Lagos, Inspire hundreds of people daily but could barely inspire myself to take that long journey to Abuja.

I have a lot to say to the Spring 20 and Fall 20 hopefuls.

Brown 2 Green has both been denied and approved. So he knows what both feels like.

God Speed to those on AP, God's speed to those waiting on the Visa.

Peace.

Welcome to Illinois...congrats!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by learner007(m): 4:36am On Aug 16, 2019
calculator123:

Great advice but one shouldn't apply for a PhD because of better funding but because one has a knack for research.
It makes no sense to apply for the PhD, get the admission and the full funding (since that's the aim) and drop out, thus returning to square one.
P.S: there is no shame in dropping out of a PhD program but one should ensure they can finish the journey so as not to waste time and limited resources .

Well, I dont see anything to be cautious about, here. About 30% of PhD students in the US are sure to 'MASTER OUT' (not drop out) when the whole thing 'dabaru' finish grin. Some very determined ones even make it to the ABD (All But Dissertation) phase before backing out. We only need to advice people starting a PhD program to harm themselves with sufficient information about the requirements for a master's degree in their respective departments. This will help them choose courses (that satisfy the masters requirement) wisely in the first two years of their program. So when things go south, they can apply to graduate with a master's, na the guarantee level be that. It is better you see things for yourself and bow out than to blame yourself forever for not trying at all. But, beyond all controversy, PHD na die! grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RealBadBoy: 8:56am On Aug 16, 2019
calculator123:

This might aid more advices ..

That's the issue... I plan to take gre and toefl by November
I have no publications
Undergrad gpa = 3.76/4
Course = civil engineering

I need some more time to apply and let my recommenders submit their letter. Jan 1 might not be feasible as many uni wants. Please I need schools with deadline in February or late in January

But most schools always say after jan1 an applicant won't be considered for funding
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by calculator123(m): 9:15am On Aug 16, 2019
RealBadBoy:

That's the issue... I plan to take gre and toefl by November
I have no publications
Undergrad gpa = 3.76/4
Course = civil engineering

I need some more time to apply and let my recommenders submit their letter. Jan 1 might not be feasible as many uni wants. Please I need schools with deadline in February or late in January

But most schools always say after jan1 an applicant won't be considered for funding
Why not chill till next year to start the app process. This time you would be better prepared. It won't be nice to waste limited resources.
By the way, have you written the GRE and TOEFL?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 16, 2019
Finally am in the US, its a wonderful world here, I entered through New York and then Transited to Minneapolis from there, Please my best advice is that you should eat before taking off cos them no dey get better food for airplane ooo, keep your I-20 with you at all times, learn to say no to those airport guys asking you for money at every point, one of them even said I should give him dollars when I told him I don't have any Naira with me and also don't mind those making POE sound like one Post Visa Interview, its really very simple, I was asked how long I intend staying and where I was going to, they didn't even ask me to present my connecting flight ticket, the whole process was like 30secs and they just let me lose into the streets of New York straight, things are relatively easier than I imagined. Only thig now is that am still afraid to spend Dollars, I always think twice when I convert the prices to Its Naira Equivalent... 15usd for a plate of pasta that wont even make sense at the end of the day, #5400 just imagine..

18 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2019
Hello house, please who has scheduled a flight using student universe.... What is their charge naira to dollar?

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.