Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,336 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (366) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1361413 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by magd: 7:44am On Jan 26, 2020
I will advise you to choose express entry especially if you qualify. I got admission in a school too but didn't go on and decided to start express entry, a move I didn't regret.
Predstan:

How about a masters in the USA and Express entry to canada?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tdee19: 9:35am On Jan 26, 2020
solihp:

Check Georgia State University

Thank you. I'll check it out.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 26, 2020
Evans211:
Hello everyone, good evening/morning. I appreciate you all for a great job done here thus far. I’m new here, and I’d like to ask some questions....

I just got admission into Texas tech Uni (department of political science).. I got an offer as a TA to online graders. The assistantship comes with a stipend of $10,000 for the period of 9 months (which I can’t really make sense of)...

The admission and offer came few hours ago.. I wish to seek your individual opinion, based on experience overtime about the funding (check attached), before sending a mail to the graduate coordinator.

Thanks
Congratulations. I also applied to the school. Looking forward to hearing from them soon too.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 9:55am On Jan 26, 2020
Tella26:
I just sent you a DM

Good day Sir
Please I Ann interested in the prem account
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 26, 2020
sultanfortune:

I tried to get across to you through DM but u seem not to look through ur DM. WhatsApp me on +15752013509. Lets talk on WhatsApp

I just sent you a message boss..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 12:34pm On Jan 26, 2020
Please I am new here. I need advice.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 12:38pm On Jan 26, 2020
I got an offer from Bowling green state uni, but yet to here from them about any funding. In the offer email they said I should contact my program coordinator, please I need help on how best to present this.

My course is Architecture.

Generally, what's your thought on bowling green state university.

Also I am still waiting to here from other school I applied to.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 1:29pm On Jan 26, 2020
Evans211:

I just sent you a message boss..

I will love to know how long between when you submitted your application and when you got the admission offer from TTU. Thanks Evans
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jago2016(m): 2:22pm On Jan 26, 2020
fairheart:
If you are still considering writing GRE, understand that you need study materials to understand the exam and how to pass it.
I have free soft copies to share.
So, if you are preparing for GRE, drop your email and I will forward them to you.
please kindly forward the materials you have to my mail onyidochristopher@gmail.com thank you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2020
Lightp:

I will love to know how long between when you submitted your application and when you got the admission offer from TTU. Thanks Evans

I submitted around December 18 or so... admission came on Jan 24..(admission & funding).

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2020
Lightp:
I got an offer from Bowling green state uni, but yet to here from them about any funding. In the offer email they said I should contact my program coordinator, please I need help on how best to present this.

Funding decision usually comes by first/second week of February... (My GC told me that)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 26, 2020
ElZackzacky2019:

Congratulations. I also applied to the school. Looking forward to hearing from them soon too.

Thanks and I wish you best of luck

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by eetzdave(m): 4:02pm On Jan 26, 2020
Evans211:

Thanks and I wish you best of luck

What was your gre score?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 26, 2020
mvem:
When applying to TTU for a PhD, do you need to apply separately for scholarship/assistantship ?...I just submitted a PhD application but the Uni and department is not to clear about funding

Hello, prior to my application, I made inquiries about the possibility of funding for MA degree and the response was positive. So once you’re admitted, funding is automatic as long as you’ve indicated your interest during application..

PhD applicants get majority of funding. Yours shouldn’t be different..(depends on the department though)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 26, 2020
eetzdave:
Hello, i sent you an email...i have a few questions for you...thanks

Kindly ask your questions here so that others will benefit from the answers

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 26, 2020
eetzdave:

What was your gre score?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 5:12pm On Jan 26, 2020
Lightp:

Hi, just keep sending them email from time to time that you're interested in funding. I applied to Bowling Green too but a different department last year. I got admitted in February but didn't get funding until June or so. So keep hoping and sending email
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 5:22pm On Jan 26, 2020
magd:
I will advise you to choose express entry especially if you qualify. I got admission in a school too but didn't go on and decided to start express entry, a move I didn't regret.

You obviously can afford the express entry. And I can afford a degree from the USA.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 5:49pm On Jan 26, 2020
Evans211:

Funding decision usually comes by first/second week of February... (My GC told me that)

ok. for clarity. you mean you are currently in contact with your GC (BGSU) and he/she said that funding comes during the period you mentioned above. Did you have to request for it?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 5:53pm On Jan 26, 2020
solihp:

Hi, just keep sending them email from time to time that you're interested in funding. I applied to Bowling Green too but a different department last year. I got admitted in February but didn't get funding until June or so. So keep hoping and sending email

Did you accept the offer i.e are you there now or you chose a different school. And what was the nature of the assistantship they offered you. Also did you apply for any scholarship given by the school.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 5:53pm On Jan 26, 2020
Evans211:

Hello, prior to my application, I made inquiries about the possibility of funding for MA degree and the response was positive. So once you’re admitted, funding is automatic as long as you’ve indicated your interest during application..

PhD applicants get majority of funding. Yours shouldn’t be different..(depends on the department though)
I emailed you...thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drealsahmy(m): 6:02pm On Jan 26, 2020
fairheart:
SAT registration cost 55-65K (depends on where you register it).
You may need coaching to do well as the exam may shock you without adequate preparation. So, you may need to consider taking classes or personal study for the test. When do you intend to write it? For fall 2020, you should begin now!

I sent you a pm already please reply
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 26, 2020
Lightp:

ok. for clarity. you mean you are currently in contact with your GC (BGSU) and he/she said that funding comes during the period you mentioned above. Did you have to request for it?

This was the response... funding is automatic once you already indicated you’re interested for assistantship/funding during the application..

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 6:23pm On Jan 26, 2020
Lightp:

Did you accept the offer i.e are you there now or you chose a different school. And what was the nature of the assistantship they offered you. Also did you apply for any scholarship given by the school.

I am in a different school, you'd be asked if you want to be considered for assistantship, if you answered yes, then you'd be considered. Just message the GC. Things are different from department to department
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 6:46pm On Jan 26, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dreemerr: 6:58pm On Jan 26, 2020
Hi, I just send you PM, please check your email. I'm also Architecture applicant.

Lightp:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lightp: 7:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
Evans211:

This was the response... funding is automatic once you already indicated you’re interested for assistantship/funding during the application..

Oh, i got a different message when i submitted mine. So i don't know. Well, i will just have to contact my program coordinator.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 7:44pm On Jan 26, 2020
sonofakin:
I need your advice again guys. Thanks for always coming through everytime
I got an Msc admission offer from University of Connecticut and I'm really considering it.
It came with a 50% assitantship which will waive the $39k tuition and pay approximately $13k stipend for the academic year. However, I will surely have a deficit of about $8.5k on my 1-20 according to the 2019/20 estimate (a compulsory $1700 student fees and balance of living expenses).
My question is, is it advisable to go with the school? Can someone who has an idea of the cost of living in Storrs, Connecticut also advise me? How is graduate assistantship stipend taxed in the US?
P.S: my dream of going for graduate studies in US was originally contigent on getting full funding as I don't have an actual sponsor

Hi, congrats on your offer.

If you are still waiting for offers from other schools, I will say wait for sometime.

But I can tell you that that is a great offer. Most schools do not waive the mandatory fees and most student usually have deficit even after being offered funding. I also had almost exactly the same deficit like you did, so you need to get a sponsor with good bank statements.

Most times when your tuition is waived and you have less than 9k deficit, the embassy usually don't ask you for bank statements but you still need to hold one with at least 1.5times your deficit incase it's asked.

Also, I do not know the cost of living around your school but a Google search shows that it's not a city, so 13k stipends should sustain you. I school in a city and 10k stipends is sustaining me.

But even with the funding, you need money to sustain you for the first month which includes rent, feeding, transportation and all before the stipends kick in.

Congrats again, I am excited for you, all the best grin

Modified:About the tax, it depends on your state. For me I am aways taxed like $81 per month which isn't much

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 8:05pm On Jan 26, 2020

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 26, 2020
sonofakin:
I need your advice again guys. Thanks for always coming through everytime
I got an Msc admission offer from University of Connecticut and I'm really considering it.
It came with a 50% assitantship which will waive the $39k tuition and pay approximately $13k stipend for the academic year. However, I will surely have a deficit of about $8.5k on my 1-20 according to the 2019/20 estimate (a compulsory $1700 student fees and balance of living expenses).
My question is, is it advisable to go with the school? Can someone who has an idea of the cost of living in Storrs, Connecticut also advise me? How is graduate assistantship stipend taxed in the US?
P.S: my dream of going for graduate studies in US was originally contigent on getting full funding as I don't have an actual sponsor

Congrats on both your admission and GA. If they waived your entire tuition, and it's just semester fees or health insurance you have to pay then that should be great. Usually GA stipends (if 20hrs weekly) factor in the monthly costs of living in your town/city, so you should be fine. I school in TX, and monthly stipends after tax is 1338 which is very decent for a student here (with a few hundreds left if boyz no too ball that month ��). I even heard one gets a refund of certain percentage of taxes paid after filing tax returns, interesting....

So all you need are funds for your first month expenses, and a genuine bank statement for the visa interview. Cheers Baba.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 26, 2020
Gbengee:
Please house, I need advise on Sam Huston State University.
is it a good school?
Cos the ranking is not that nice, the location look like outskirt somehow like ancient city. Though they are to offer a nice GA?

If you like dey there dey do outskirts abi ancient city SHSU is a chill school with lots of "umuada", so if you get a good GA offer in a nice program, head there.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rkarang: 10:38pm On Jan 26, 2020
lordeoregon:

Congrats on both your admission and GA. If they waived your entire tuition, and it's just semester fees or health insurance you have to pay then that should be great. Usually GA stipends (if 20hrs weekly) factor in the monthly costs of living in your town/city, so you should be fine. I school in TX, and monthly stipends after tax is 1338 which is very decent for a student here (with a few hundreds left if boyz no too ball that month ��). I even heard one gets a refund of certain percentage of taxes paid after filing tax returns, interesting....

So all you need are funds for your first month expenses, and a genuine bank statement for the visa interview. Cheers Baba.

The statement in bold is very correct.

(1) (2) (3) ... (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.