Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,227 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1360167 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Theraindrop: 12:02pm On Apr 17, 2020
I need to know you for real, you’ve done a lot for so many here including me in particular, thank you is nice but not enough, 2016 to date I already got my Green Card. Thank you all for being part of my success story
LagosismyHome:

Good to hear from you too... let me get busy and write my list for u . cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Theraindrop: 12:06pm On Apr 17, 2020
yes Very acceptable, I did that for my brother, NOTE: On your DS160 form you need to answer YES to the question ; Do you have any one in the US ? so you don’t contradict yourself
Jona48:
Hello guys, is it possible for the Visa Officer to accept sponsorship from a friend based in the US on your behalf?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 2:11pm On Apr 17, 2020
You can

horlahsunbo225:

Hey pls permit me to private chat u.....I'm also applying to APSU
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 2:14pm On Apr 17, 2020
Theraindrop:
yes Very acceptable, I did that for my brother, NOTE: On your DS160 form you need to answer YES to the question ; Do you have any one in the US ? so you don’t contradict yourself
Thank you. I'm applying for a college though, so somebody was telling me (honest observation though), applying for and having a friend as a sponsor is a red flag � for me, he said my chances are slim. It's my first time that's why I'm bringing here for senior e-friends to the needful for me.
N. B. I'm half way with my application anyways.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by websta: 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2020
Hello guys, I applied to community college for cyber security. Got admission and all my documents are complete. My appointment was cancelled because of COVID-19.
If everything should bounce back, should
I reschedule my appointment or wait till next year? Scared they may be more strict
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by learner007(m): 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2020
Jona48:
Thank you. I'm applying for a college though, so somebody was telling me (honest observation though), applying for and having a friend as a sponsor is a red flag � for me, he said my chances are slim. It's my first time that's why I'm bringing here for senior e-friends to the needful for me.
N. B. I'm half way with my application anyways.

I'm not a bearer of discouraging news, but stories like that dont fly 90% of the time. Think about it, how can you possibly convince the VO that your friend (not a family member o) is willing to part with at least 12 million naira per year to further your education? How much does this your friend make in the same US, which they know like the back of their hand? What have you done to deserve such a sacrifice? Does that friend not have their own bills to pay? If he/she doesnt have a family, isnt he/she thinking of starting one soon? What if they withdraw their interest halfway into the program?

These are the kind of things that get in the way of a smooth conviction that your sponsor is reliable. But if you have the right proof spiced with great persuasion skills, you are just going to be among the 10% who make it with such credential. This is my only nickel on this marra grin

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jay5mie: 5:14pm On Apr 17, 2020
Eniolakiite:
APSU is waiving tests for those interested in undergraduate and graduate programs in summer and fall 2020.

https://www.apsu.edu/news/April-2020-test-optional.php

Please throw more light on this....please!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2020
I put the link there. That’s the best light you need.

Jay5mie:

Please throw more light on this....please!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 6:52pm On Apr 17, 2020
learner007:

I'm not a bearer of discouraging news, but stories like that dont fly 90% of the time. Think about it, how can you possibly convince the VO that your friend (not a family member o) is willing to part with at least 12 million naira per year to further your education? How much does this your friend make in the same US, which they know like the back of their hand? What have you done to deserve such a sacrifice? Does that friend not have their own bills to pay? If he/she doesnt have a family, isnt he/she thinking of starting one soon? What if they withdraw their interest halfway into the program?

These are the kind of things that get in the way of a smooth conviction that your sponsor is reliable. But if you have the right proof spiced with great persuasion skills, you are just going to be among the 10% who make it with such credential. This is my only nickel on this marra grin

Thank you plenty Bro, let me throw more light.
The said woman is married with four children,we had plans of coming over through a non-immigrant visa, but the ban on Nigeria and other countries on entering the United States through that means changed our plans.
So we had to route another means, but she slightly gave conditions that the school should be based in Philadelphia (because that's where she lives). After making enquiries on universities in Philadelphia, I told her of the choices I made, she said university will be quite expensive for her, she was the one that brought up the idea of college. After applying, I told her and sent the application form...
I am tabling the whole thing because I don't know "Shingbain" concerning traveling and traveling related issue(s).
I know this will be long, but I just have to table it.
I have some questions bothering me. See them:
1.What is the rate of visa approval for college students in Nigeria?
2.Even if the woman agrees (and even goes to okija shrine to swear) that she will sponsor me, will VO hold it for me considering the fact that I and woman are in no way related?
3. Do I have any other thing to be scared of?
Abeg if you get contributions wey no relate to questions wey I ask, it is also welcomed..
Kind regards my people..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Princekenuk: 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2020
But this APSU usually requires WES. Do they need TOEFL too? How much is the application fee?

Eniolakiite:
APSU is waiving tests for those interested in undergraduate and graduate programs in summer and fall 2020.

https://www.apsu.edu/news/April-2020-test-optional.php
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Olufemichael(m): 7:21pm On Apr 17, 2020
mzhorlah:
Hi, I requested for mine since March too. I feel we should just be patient and not try to mess with our heads by overthinking. It’s obviously the pandemic affecting it all. Just try to follow up on your school.

They are now sending I-20 through email.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jay5mie: 8:46pm On Apr 17, 2020
greenskittles:
Hey guys. I got a fully funded offer to a top school, and I'm really excited. Now the last hurdle for me is the whole VISA issue. For now the site says they're not booking appointments, and my I-20 form isn't even ready yet. I wanted to ask how other people with offers are preparing. If ther s anything you think I could do while this pandemic rages on to ensure I get through this stage.

Please how did you get the funded offer??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by aadeyi: 8:48pm On Apr 17, 2020
Jona48:

The said woman is married with four children,we had plans of coming over through a non-immigrant visa, but the ban on Nigeria and other countries on entering the United States through that means changed our plans.
So we had to route another means, but she slightly gave conditions that the school should be based in Philadelphia (because that's where she lives). After making enquiries on universities in Philadelphia, I told her of the choices I made, she said university will be quite expensive for her, she was the one that brought up the idea of college. After applying, I told her and sent the application form...
I am tabling the whole thing because I don't know "Shingbain" concerning traveling and traveling related issue(s).
2.Even if the woman agrees (and even goes to okija shrine to swear) that she will sponsor me, will VO hold it for me considering the fact that I and woman are in no way related?
Abeg if you get contributions wey no relate to questions wey I ask, it is also welcomed..
Kind regards my people..

If you dont mind me asking, what is your story?

How old are you (estimate)
Have you attended any university in Nigeria?
What is your relationship with this Philadelphia Woman?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by aadeyi: 9:12pm On Apr 17, 2020
greenskittles:
Hey guys. I got a fully funded offer to a top school, and I'm really excited. Now the last hurdle for me is the whole VISA issue. For now the site says they're not booking appointments, and my I-20 form isn't even ready yet. I wanted to ask how other people with offers are preparing. If ther s anything you think I could do while this pandemic rages on to ensure I get through this stage.

There is no cause for alarm here.... Every organization in the world knows what is going on. The school is also motioning the situation of things and if at all they see it will not be possible for you to join during the semester you applied for, they will advice you to defer to the next semester. Also there is no indication from anywhere that the US would be allowing anyone from risky countries to come into the US anytime soon (especially with the low testing rate currently going on in Naija). Your best bet is to cross your harms till the embassy announce it is opening back for operation.

For others who are still pursuing admissions, keep it going and follow all the necessary instructions laid out by your prospective schools.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by aadeyi: 9:16pm On Apr 17, 2020
Jay5mie:

Please how did you get the funded offer??

Everyone's story is different and so is everyone's luck (if there is anything like that). I will advise you take some time to read through this thread and get an understanding of how different people go through their individual processes. That way you will obtain all the knowledge you need to also get a fully funded admission. If you now have any difficulty understanding anything, ask specific questions and folks with experience will definitely come to your aid and help out.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by princefemo01(m): 9:22pm On Apr 17, 2020
Hello, I discovered that most US schools have started waving GRE, TOEFL and other exams as a requirement towards Fall 2020 admission. However, after securing admission, is it possible to seek for funding without these exams considering the competition involved in seeking for fund? I need advise.

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by aadeyi: 9:38pm On Apr 17, 2020
princefemo01:
Hello, I discovered that most US schools have started waving GRE, TOEFL and other exams as a requirement towards Fall 2020 admission. However, after securing admission, is it possible to seek for funding without these exams considering the competition involved in seeking for fund? I need advise.

Thanks.

The best way to get funding is to:
Take a look into the department you are trying to study from in any school and see the kind of projects or programs the Professors in that department have going on and reach out to the one that you have interest in.
Let the professor know that you are interested in his work and how you can contribute.
Let him understand your background, what you have done in the past, your undergraduate project and how it aligns with what he/she is doing (even if you have to lie but not advisable if you cannot structure it well enough to convince yourself)
Ask to know if there is any allocated funding available to sponsor grad students for the program
Let him/her give you the requirements and what you need to do in order to secure a spot
Look for viable person(s) in your undergrad school to write recommendation letter(s) for you
And follow the school/department procedure as well.

You never know, you might just be lucky that way!!!!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 10:01pm On Apr 17, 2020
Theraindrop:
No problem we are all one Naira land family �� PM

Wow. That was really cool. I was only joking , I will PM to connect with you. We are both in the land of Trump.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 11:37pm On Apr 17, 2020
aadeyi:

If you dont mind me asking, what is your story?

How old are you (estimate)
Have you attended any university in Nigeria?
What is your relationship with this Philadelphia Woman?
I will answer your questions randomly.
I am 28years old
Yeah. I have a degree in Political Science Bayero University Kano
My relationships with this woman;we started chatting last year, she came to Nigeria in May, we saw though(but she didn't come because of me Sha). As the day goes by, our friendship was taking deep roots. We no dea date, just normal friendship. Fast forward to this college stuff.
My story:My name is Jonathan, the last of five, a Pol sci degree holder with a special interest on International politics and how it affects our daily lives. After my graduation and mandatory one year service, I ventured into fashion and designing, as we all know fashion is a global phenomenon and African fashion also staking claims in it. As a student of international politics, it will give you a wholesome perspective on how globalization has helped in shaped and changing the way people see fashion in the world.
Bro, is the kind of story you're talking about about? Please correct me(if I'm wrong)
Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kelpaulz: 1:04am On Apr 18, 2020
Hi.
Good day friends.
I got an admit that is partly funded. That is, it is fully funded at $25k starting from the second year, hence I'm to provide proof of fund for the 1st year. Can I use a financial statement from a church? 2oyld it be considered?

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mzhorlah(f): 1:35am On Apr 18, 2020
Olufemichael:

They are now sending I-20 through email.
Oh! That’s great. I will need to check with my school. Have you gotten yours?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by learner007(m): 2:01am On Apr 18, 2020
Jona48:

Kind regards my people..

Well, I want you to know nothing is impossible. Nobody here can guarantee your visa approval except your own VO. A lot of people have been able to get their study visas with community colleges, it just depends on how well you are able to present your case before the VO.

Every NIV applicant appears as a potential immigrant before the VO unless you proven otherwise. This is how to get a visa. We, on this platform, only share ideas that make this process smoother for one another. Convincing a VO that you want to go to a community college after a Bsc is an uphill task already. Using an unrelated sponsor, who already has full dose of responsibilities in four kids, makes the outcome of your meeting almost predictable. Concealing any of these truths will apparently attract a travel ban.

I am not here to scare you at all, but you too put yourself in the shoes of the VO. How do you see your case? You can get that visa if and only if your Psychology of persuasion is out of this world. Once again, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by aadeyi: 3:04am On Apr 18, 2020
Jona48:

I will answer your questions randomly.
I am 28years old
Yeah. I have a degree in Political Science Bayero University Kano
My relationships with this woman;we started chatting last year, she came to Nigeria in May, we saw though(but she didn't come because of me Sha). As the day goes by, our friendship was taking deep roots. We no dea date, just normal friendship. Fast forward to this college stuff.
My story:My name is Jonathan, the last of five, a Pol sci degree holder with a special interest on International politics and how it affects our daily lives. After my graduation and mandatory one year service, I ventured into fashion and designing, as we all know fashion is a global phenomenon and African fashion also staking claims in it. As a student of international politics, it will give you a wholesome perspective on how globalization has helped in shaped and changing the way people see fashion in the world.
Bro, is the kind of story you're talking about about? Please correct me(if I'm wrong)
Thank you.

For clarification, Community College is the same thing as going to Polytechnic for OND!

My Advise, since you already have a BSc, why not look for masters program that suits you and look for ways you can get scholarships/funding. If Philly is your choice, there are couple Universities in there you can check out to see if they have opportunities for scholarship. Then take your time to find ways to qualify for the scholarship (Refer to my earlier post about getting scholarship), that way your financial burden is cut down by a huge percentage. All you need to achieve this is determination and dedication. If you can dedicate time to it, you can achieve it. Dedicate your time to making research and looking for ways (it is always worth it)

The problem for most people is they dont want to put in work, they just want wuruwuru to the answer which does not work for everybody. Put in work and whenever you are in doubt or have questions, ask and people will answer.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hybeenoni: 3:53am On Apr 18, 2020
@Jona48, if you wish to go for a PhD in pol Science, you can dm me

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 6:09am On Apr 18, 2020
aadeyi:

For clarification, Community College is the same thing as going to Polytechnic for OND!

My Advise, since you already have a BSc, why not look for masters program that suits you and look for ways you can get scholarships/funding. If Philly is your choice, there are couple Universities in there you can check out to see if they have opportunities for scholarship. Then take your time to find ways to qualify for the scholarship (Refer to my earlier post about getting scholarship), that way your financial burden is cut down by a huge percentage. All you need to achieve this is determination and dedication. If you can dedicate time to it, you can achieve it. Dedicate your time to making research and looking for ways (it is always worth it)

The problem for most people is they dont want to put in work, they just want wuruwuru to the answer which does not work for everybody. Put in work and whenever you are in doubt or have questions, ask and people will answer.
There's light here.. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 6:14am On Apr 18, 2020
learner007:

Well, I want you to know nothing is impossible. Nobody here can guarantee your visa approval except your own VO. A lot of people have been able to get their study visas with community colleges, it just depends on how well you are able to present your case before the VO.

Every NIV applicant appears as a potential immigrant before the VO unless you proven otherwise. This is how to get a visa. We, on this platform, only share ideas that make this process smoother for one another. Convincing a VO that you want to go to a community college after a Bsc is an uphill task already. Using an unrelated sponsor, who already has full dose of responsibilities in four kids, makes the outcome of your meeting almost predictable. Concealing any of these truths will apparently attract a travel ban.

I am not here to scare you at all, but you too put yourself in the shoes of the VO. How do you see your case? You can get that visa if and only if your Psychology of persuasion is out of this world. Once again, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!
That's why I presented my case here. I was thinking though, what if I bring two sponsors (one a Nigerian plus the Philly woman)? Will it make any difference?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hotboss: 6:39am On Apr 18, 2020
Hello gurus in the house. I got an assistantship offer. But the letter stated that this is an initial financial offer, that it is not the main contract
However, the funding involve is very small, I wanted to know if i can be expecting something different when they are sending the main contract.

School is BGSU, Ms engineering technology.
Scholarship 2k
Assistantship stipend 5k

Pls those who knows about this school or hv any idea about all these should help.. thank you all

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Swerveking14: 6:55am On Apr 18, 2020
I'll advice you to defer...
Deegayes:
Hi guys,
I was meant to travel this month to start the summer semester but as it stands now, my flight has been cancelled and the school has decided to move summer classes online.
My question is this, do I defer till fall though I have deferred once before but I don’t think online classes are ideal for me from here.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Swerveking14: 7:22am On Apr 18, 2020
Finally the cold don comot finish, i need hot sun...lol. So i've been seeing things like will the usa would be strict about visa for the coming summer and fall and just felt like sharing my view. Firstly if vaccines could be rolled out by the end of july, i guess everyone would be good because this schools need International students money o lol, i think they generate billions annually from International students alone..sooooooo 'news is 3 major vaccines should begin testing next week, yeah u heard it "next week" 2 from the usa and 1 from china.. globally 70 vaccines are under development. Secondly the NOV ELECTIONS, i feel trump would relax travel and visa ban, if he wants to fall on the good side of some citizens o..lol

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Miscellaneous(m): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2020
Dgreatestt:

Hi, good morning,

I think you should mail your GC, and keep doing them a reminder. My admission came over 3weeks ago, while I just received my assistantship last Saturday.

Don't give up

Was urs a full ride? Phd?

I just got admitted & waiting for funding offer

Is there a separate application for funding?

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.