Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357842 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 10:35am On Jun 20, 2019
BIMestBabe:
Good morning house.
I'm new here.
I'll love to post my transcript. Visa delayed
Lagos consulate
June 11th

Vo: good morning with a smile
Me good morning. Smiled
Vo pass your I 20 and passport
Me. Did
Vo -- straight up, can I see a letter backing up your assistantship
Me: sure, so... I search for my funding letter o, took almost a minute.
Vo (while I was still searching for the letters) you're doing your masters? (With an irritated face or so)
Me yes, my final defence is in 2 weeks. Then I gave him the letters
Vo scrutinizes letter.
Plus, I gave him 3 letters. (Funding and contract award letter. Guess that's part of my mistake)
Vo does the letter cover all the 70k dolls,
Me yes, my funding covers all my tuition and stipends for the first semester and will be renewed for subsequent semesters.
Vo. No, you're not answering my question. Is your funding all the 70k dols?
Me. No, my uncle is paying for the rest, do you want to see his bank statements,
Vo no
Vo have you travelled out before
Me no, I haven't have the reason too, till now.
Vo, where does your uncle stay
Me. Lagos, ikorodu.
Vo.. Blabla..not eligible for the visa now... Blablabla.

OK guys, this was my first time. Please, I really need advice. I'm picking abuja this time and I need to get it right. Please gurus in the house, kindly help me.

First Question, what was stated on the I20?
Second question, were you going for a second masters?
3rd Question, how much was your total deficit?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 10:37am On Jun 20, 2019
Guys I’m thinking of using an emergency appointment date to move my interview date forward
Advisable? As it seems I can use it just once as long as I’ve not been previously denied

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 10:38am On Jun 20, 2019
I think the issue started when VO found out you're going for second masters.... Just my thought

BIMestBabe:
Good morning house.
I'm new here.
Lagos consulate
June 11th

Me good morning. Smiled
Me. Did
Vo (while I was still searching for the letters) you're doing your masters? (With an irritated face or so)
Vo scrutinizes letter.
Plus, I gave him 3 letters. (Funding and contract award letter. Guess that's part of my mistake)
Me yes, my funding covers all my tuition and stipends for the first semester and will be renewed for subsequent semesters.
Me. No, my uncle is paying for the rest, do you want to see his bank statements,
Vo no
Me. Lagos, ikorodu.

OK guys, this was my first time. Please, I really need advice. I'm picking abuja this time and I need to get it right. Please gurus in the house, kindly help me.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 10:39am On Jun 20, 2019
BIMestBabe:
Good morning house.
I'm new here.
Lagos consulate
June 11th

Me good morning. Smiled
Me. Did
Vo scrutinizes letter.
Vo no
Me. Lagos, ikorodu.

You and Solihp were asked where your uncle stays. This is weird, what do they need that information for.
Prepare harder, try and get the multi-compartmental folder lalavita was talking about for better arrangement of document
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tboy47(m): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2019
dreambound:

Are there really only 5 schools in the US that offer specialized courses in Physics according to US News?

You need to strengthen your response to 'Why master's in Physics?' What particular job position in Nigeria are you looking forward to obtaining with that degree? The VO is an immigration officer- he would be more interested in you having a solid reason to return to your country with the degree than with you advancing your education in Physics. Alrigh tanks

You also need to make your response to 'Why this school?' more concise, while maintaining or improving it's convincing nature.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2019
BigUgo21:
PLEASE gurus in the house help critique my proposed f-1 visa transcript. My interview is next week. Thanks

Me: good morning sir/ma’am
VO: good morning,
Me: how was your night?
VO: fine thank you
VO: pass me your passport and I-20?
Me: passes it over to her
VO: you were denied twice last year, why apply again?
Me: yes I was denied F-1 Visa under section 214(b) ... because I could not articulate my study plans well and I was rejected.
VO: so tell me your study plans
Me: Upon resumption of school, I will register 3 courses with a total of 9 credits hours for both first and second semesters respectively. Thereafter I would work in my research concentration in my second year with focus on AM Technology and Industrial Automation at the Industrial Robotics and Manufacturing Lab to equip me with the technical knowledge and on demand skills which will give me an edge to become a senior industrial production engineer on a managerial level at bleep xxxx or a lecturing job at my Alma Mater the University of Nigeria’s newly established department of Industrial and Production Engineering (though currently awaits full accreditation status from the National Universities Commission, NUC) to help pioneer its eventual take off. I will also write some professional certification courses like the Quality Engineer and Six Sigma Black Belt exams to increase my employability in the job market.
VO: What’re the courses you’ll be taking at Morgan State University?
Me: I would be required to complete 33 credit hours of course work in 24 months inclusive of 18 credit hours of core courses, 9 credit hours of elective courses, 4 credit hours of research thesis, and 2 credit hours of seminar with core courses such as: Rapid Prototyping I & II, Stochastic Processes, Quality management and statistical process control, Reliability, Non-traditional manufacturing processes, Advanced quantitative methods in systems engineering, Risk assessment and systems reliability, Engineering optimization processes, Assembly automation & product design, Supply chain and logistics management, Engineering design process, Advanced production & operations management, Computer integrated manufacturing, Engineering statistics & modelling, Production sequencing & scheduling, Human performance engineering, Research in design & manufacturing systems, Design simulation
VO: Which of the courses is more of interest to you & why?
Me: Rapid Prototyping is of more interest to me because it deals with the fundamental concepts in the development of computational algorithms for the design of machine components and assemblies, and other engineering systems. It’s a vital course for AM Tech & Industrial Automation research.
VO:

It's good that you know why and what you're going for and you have done your research, but I'm surprised that you've been to the embassy for an F1 interview before and you're still not aware that there isn't time to deliver epistles to the VO. The VO would cut you off during almost every response and you would sound like you crammed if you don't prepare a far more concise set of responses.

You need to make your responses both concise and convincing.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tboy47(m): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2019
Mayflowa:

Texas A & M is renowned in the world. So I don’t think you would have any stress with the CO. However you answers are neither here or there. They are too general. Your interview is going to be short, so you need to be specific. For example. Why US. You can say US schools is known for quality and that is why chose US education. How did you find out about the School. You were looking at top US universities that specialize in geophysicist since your undergraduate was physics and you were able to zero in on Texas A & M. Since you mention geophysicist, the CO would most likely ask you what the course would do for you. You can now fire that there is a huge deficiency in the amount of geophysicist in Nigeria and most of the seismic evaluations are done by expatriate. And the course would prepare you to participate in the oil field development in your country. That way you have established home ties.
You full scholarship is even enough to cover. On your i20 you should notice this. Goodluck
tanks alot
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2019
Gloryemo:
Sorry about the delay sis. Good that you know what to work on. I believe you will get it next time. All the best

Thanks alot. Really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 10:48am On Jun 20, 2019
I guess they just ask those extra questions so that applicants can't easily know what went wrong.

Oasishavenng:

You and Solihp were asked where your uncle stays. This is weird, what do they need that information for.
Prepare harder, try and get the multi-compartmental folder lalavita was talking about for better arrangement of document
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 20, 2019
Full Funding + Deficit == IRONY!! / OXYMORON!!
Partial Funding == Funding + Deficit

Thank you!

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 10:51am On Jun 20, 2019
Gloryemo:
I guess they just ask those extra questions so that applicants can't easily know what went wrong.

Yup. That's why they also ask 'are you married' and 'do you have kids' at the end of interviews, even though you've already told them that through your DS160.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 10:54am On Jun 20, 2019
EXACTLY

dreambound:

Yup. That's why they also ask 'are you married' and 'do you have kids' at the end of interviews, even though you've already told them that through your DS160.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 10:58am On Jun 20, 2019
It almost feels like taking a polygraph test
Ask you mundane questions at the beginning, ask the main questions after that (the polygraph). Then ask you mundane questions at the end to confirm you’re not trying to cheat the polygraph

Lol
Gloryemo:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 10:58am On Jun 20, 2019
Gloryemo:
EXACTLY

Some even accidentally ask 'Do you have kids?' after you've told them you're single...LMAO grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 11:01am On Jun 20, 2019
Oasishavenng:

Maybe they were trying to assess if you truly know your sponsor or if you were the one that filled the form yourself

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2019
One can have kids while single. Marriage is not a pre-requisite for having kids

dreambound:

Some even accidentally ask 'Do you have kids?' after you've told them you're single...LMAO grin

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2019
Seems so

Wretch32:
Ask you mundane questions at the beginning, ask the main questions after that (the polygraph). Then ask you mundane questions at the end to confirm you’re not trying to cheat the polygraph

Lol
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 11:03am On Jun 20, 2019
True.

I know someone that used agent sometimes ago. He was asked, are you married? He said no. Whereas agent filled he was married on his form for him.

solihp:

Maybe they were trying to assess if you truly know your sponsor or if you were the one that filled the form yourself

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tboy47(m): 11:04am On Jun 20, 2019
Will work on it. Tanks
Oasishavenng:

1) Don't contradict yourself. You carried out a search for schools that offer specialized courses and you discover 5, you applied to 3. Now you are saying what the 3 school have in common is just masters in physics not specialized course in physics. It is contradictory. It is best to state the specialized courses they offer if there is any or just remove it entirely. Don't shoot yourself in the leg.

2) which knowledge is it equipping you with. Don't be vague, be specific

3)Master's in physics are highly paid in this country because it's a rare field that is growing up so fast in this country.. Can you back this up.

Your point for why this course is not really inspiring. Saying something like this I think is better. As an undergrad, I developed interest in this particular aspect of physics, and.......

All the best to you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:09am On Jun 20, 2019
Well whatever means of detecting genuine students is welcome
They do it their way, it’s their decision
Hopefully genuine students won’t get affected Cos that’s the tea
Gloryemo:

Seems so

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 11:11am On Jun 20, 2019
Perhaps why rehearsed answers are frowned upon
Wretch32:

Lol
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:31am On Jun 20, 2019
So Gracious. For now, this is enough. I shall send my men to do other things if those you hired are not enough. grin grin grin
sharwama:

This Queen needs no stress. I have hired people to handle all that. My duty is just to enter inside plane and tell the conductor my last bus stop grin
Please let me know if you require additional information grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Astaclover9: 11:34am On Jun 20, 2019
Please how long does SOA verification take? I was told visa approved
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Smiley01: 11:42am On Jun 20, 2019
Guys this is the transcript of my recently concluded interview .

Me: good morning
Vo: good morning, pls pass me your passport .
Vo: where are you going to?
Me: am going to Saint cloud University Minnesota.
Vo: why st cloud University?
Me: well after my first degree on biotechnology I went on a research on school of technology in the United states and I came across st cloud University.  From my research I discovered that st cloud University is the best University in the whole of Minnesota I terms of technology for instance I discovered they have the latest laboratory tools and equipments such as the latest dna sequencing machine , hand pipette, the autoclave ,agitators to mention but a few and exposure to this practical environment will help me Hone and develop my practical skills because quality control and safety technology is entirely a practical course on its own. I would also be able to put to work some of the concept I was taught during my first degree as some of the courses offered are related to courses I encountered during my first degree there by making me a complete and a confident graduate in my field of specialization.
Vo: okay
Vo: who is your sponsor?
Me; my parents and I also have their statements here with me .
Vo: what do they do?
Me: my mom is a medical doctor at lasth and operates her private clinic at lagos also. My dad is a business man.
Vo: what does he do?
Me: he deals in automobile tyres
Vo: what have you been doing since you graduated?
Me: well I have been working in my mom's clinic under the supervision of the chief laboratory scientist.
Vo: long pause!! Sorry you are not qualified for a us visa..then she hands the blue paper to me.

Please where did I go wrong and what do I need to do to improve my chances next time.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hollateejay: 11:48am On Jun 20, 2019
Smiley01:

Me: well after my first degree on biotechnology I went on a research on school of technology in the United states and I came across st cloud University.  From my research I discovered that st cloud University is the best University in the whole of Minnesota I terms of technology for instance I discovered they have the latest laboratory tools and equipments such as the latest dna sequencing machine , hand pipette, the autoclave ,agitators to mention but a few and exposure to this practical environment will help me Hone and develop my practical skills because quality control and safety technology is entirely a practical course on its own. I would also be able to put to work some of the concept I was taught during my first degree as some of the courses offered are related to courses I encountered during my first degree there by making me a complete and a confident graduate in my field of specialization.
Me: my mom is a medical doctor at lasth and operates her private clinic at lagos also. My dad is a business man.
Me: well I have been working in my mom's clinic under the supervision of the chief laboratory scientist.
Vo: long pause!! Sorry you are not qualified for a us visa..then she hands the blue paper to me.

Please where did I go wrong and what do I need to do to improve my chances next time.

What are your fees and living expenses?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:53am On Jun 20, 2019
Smiley01:

What is the total deficit?

The VO laid too much emphasis on what your parents do.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 11:56am On Jun 20, 2019
flairlady:
Visa Transcript

VO:Why are you going to the United States
Me:To obtain a doctorate in Nutritional science from Texas Tech University.

VO:You have applied for a student visa before
Me:yes

VO:Where did you get your previous degree from?
Me:OAU and FUTMinna (In full)

VO:Where do you work?
Me: I am a lecturer at .....

VO:Are you married
Me:Yes

VO:Do you have children?
Me:No

VO:Is your husband going with you?
Me:No,he has a job

VO:Will you be returning to Nigeria
Me:Yes(I wanted to explain,she stopped me)

VO:Will you be returning to you current job?
Me:Yes,because I am going to get a study leave.

VO:Your Visa has been approved.
I stopped listening to everything she was saying at this point.

Note:I am fully funded.I got fellowships and a research assistantship.

Thanks to everyone.I learnt a lot from this forum.
Brown2Green,thank you.
Congratulations Flairlady

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 11:57am On Jun 20, 2019
Dream
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 12:02pm On Jun 20, 2019
Funding have you lost your charm?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 12:03pm On Jun 20, 2019
dumbiri99:
My first sevis was paid June 2, 2018. Must I pay another one to interview?

Yes.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 12:04pm On Jun 20, 2019
dreambound:

grin Gradually losing it. grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 12:07pm On Jun 20, 2019
It has not. One shouldn't just ignore good preparation because one has school funding.

dreambound:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.