Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (82) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1361029 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kidUrbane: 2:53pm On Jun 22, 2019
@Twoods,
Look through your last 20 responses. Can you honestly say that you have been able to help a student or two with preparing better for their interview? Some of us just really want a great education. You always find it convenient to pass instant judgement and rebuke without actually understanding the situation. Your hate and disgust for your motherland is sickening to say the least. Trust me I understand how bad the country has been painted. I want us to do better as a Nation also but applying the right approach is key. The purpose of this thread is to help students achieve their dream of studying in the US and doing so without "circumventing the system". calm down man!

24 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 2:56pm On Jun 22, 2019
May93:
Hi everyone.

I have been a silent follower of this page and I must say what you guys do here is amazing.

I worked towards grad school for fall 2019, I got admissions but no funding which is top priority for me.

Now I want to apply for Spring 2020 and I need your help.
I want to do it right to get the desired result(funding) which is why I’m here.

I want to go for a PhD in Industrial Engineering and I have these schools in mind:

University of Texas at Arlington
University of Arkansas
George Washington State University
New Mexico State University
Mississippi state University

My profile:
B.Eng Gas Engineering(GPA 4.05/5 equivalent to 3.46/4 WES unofficial evaluation )
GRE 308: Q-156, V-152, AWA 4.0
TOEFL:103

So guys, please I need your suggestions,recommendations about my course, choice of schools, generosity of the schools, ideas of other schools i should consider.
Also, I don’t mind doing Engineering Management. I just haven’t found schools with funding for it at PhD level.
Please i’ll be waiting for responses.

P.s this is my first comment on nairaland��

I'm going for similar stuff.
Mine is ISYE ( Industrial and systems engineering)

You have to shoot on time.
Funding is very very hard for engineering programs.

Use Google. Personal research is key.

Go through as many schools as you can. (Minimum of 200) contact as many GCs as possible!

Have Safe schools too.

Funding is key.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 3:33pm On Jun 22, 2019
kidUrbane:
@Twoods,
Look through your last 20 responses. Can you honestly say that you have been able to help a student or two with preparing better for their interview? Some of us just really want a great education. You always find it convenient to pass instant judgement and rebuke without actually understanding the situation. Your hate and disgust for your motherland is sickening to say the least. Trust me I understand how bad the country has been painted. I want us to do better as a Nation also but applying the right approach is key. The purpose of this thread is to help students achieve their dream of studying in the US and doing so without "circumventing the system". calm down man!

1. Most of you don’t want “help”, you’re only here to learn tricks that you think will help you manipulate your way into getting a visa. It’s not rocket science - do your homework and be honest.

2. Nigeria has not been painted bad, we do an excellent job of proving that we cannot be trusted. A cursory look at the last 2-3 pages of this thread is sufficient proof. If you were a visa officer and you read just this thread alone, would you trust any Nigerian, genuine or not, with a visa?

3. You’re barking up the wrong tree, what is sickening is the laissez faire attitude of many here to one lie here, one false document there. There’s the other kid who effortlessly mentioned that she lied about going for her NYSC... no kidding!

4. The right approach is to show zero tolerance for dishonesty of any kind. Simple. Anything outside that is simply a joke.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TokeOlawunmi: 3:50pm On Jun 22, 2019
Hi everyone,
My visa was approved on Thursday,Thank you to everyone who assisted in answering my questions especially Time2win, you are super amazing dear. May all of your dreams come true.

Deficit on I20- 45k
School- Georgia Institute of Technology
Program- Quantitative and Computational Finance

VO- Good morning
Me- Good morning

VO- Pass me your I20 and passport
Me- Passed the requested documents

VO- What program are you going for
Me- Quantitative and Computational Finance at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta Georgia

VO- Why did you choose this school
Me- I want to be a thought leader and an expert in the area of risk management in Nigeria. Also, application of knowledge is very important to me at this stage of career, the program is very practical, you get to learn skills such as R, python, matlab and also get to apply these knowledge by working on a capstone project. Also, the program has a small students to faculty ratio hence more access to faculty members and better learning opportunities. As you are aware the financial crisis originated from the US, learning from the school will give me a first hand learning experience of what leading practices standards issued after the crisis are trying to correct, for example Dr Chauva is very popular for teaching cases in financial crisis and credit risk analyses. when I come back, I would like to take a senior financial advisory role and work with the cbn, fmdq (financial market dealers quotation), sec (security exchange commission) in developing standards for our economy. The school also has one of the most brilliant minds in the Quantitative Finance space for example Dr Daniel Weagley who is an expert in teaching the relationship between financial markets and government agencies.
(Basically I forgot my transcript and just kept rapping)

VO- Who is sponsoring you?
Me- My Uncle

VO- What does he do?
Me- He does internal audit, board appraisals and helps organizations in assessing their governance structure

VO- Do you have account statements for me?
Me- Yes I do (passed the statements)

VO- Are you married?
Me - No I’m not

VO- Any kids?
Me- None (laughs)

VO- I have approved your Visa, please pick it in 3 working days

I was worried about my deficit and then saying it was my uncle (different surnames) paying. All the best guys, thank you for your support

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Awo95: 3:50pm On Jun 22, 2019
HELLO HOUSE !
PLEASE CAN I PAY MY VISA FEE WITH MY GT APP?
WILL I GET THE REFERENCE CODE/RECIEPT NUMBER WHEN I PAY WITH THE APP?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2019
TWoods:

1. Most of you don’t want “help”, you’re only here to learn tricks that you think will help you manipulate your way into getting a visa. It’s not rocket science - do your homework and be honest.

2. Nigeria has not been painted bad, we do an excellent job of proving that we cannot be trusted. A cursory look at the last 2-3 pages of this thread is sufficient proof. If you were a visa officer and you read just this thread alone, would you trust any Nigerian, genuine or not, with a visa?

3. You’re barking up the wrong tree, what is sickening is the laissez faire attitude of many here to one lie here, one false document there. There’s the other kid who effortlessly mentioned that she lied about going for her NYSC... no kidding!

4. The right approach is to show zero tolerance for dishonesty of any kind. Simple. Anything outside that is simply a joke.

Oga Quiet jor! I don’t blame you sha,those cowards rubbing your head on this thread are the ones increasing your morale,they’re scared to tell you the truth..honestly you talk too much,and to those directing questions to you,I pity them,we got more reasonable and intellectual peeps here..

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hi everyone,
My visa was approved on Thursday,Thank you to everyone who assisted in answering my questions especially Time2win, you are super amazing dear. May all of your dreams come true.

Deficit on I20- 45k

VO- Good morning
Me- Good morning

Me- Quantitative and Computational Finance at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta Georgia

Me- I want to be a thought leader and an expert in the area of risk management in Nigeria. Also, application of knowledge is very important to me at this stage of career, the program is very practical, you get to learn skills such as R, python, matlab and also get to apply these knowledge by working on a capstone project. Also, the program has a small students to faculty ratio hence more access to faculty members and better learning opportunities. As you are aware the financial crisis originated from the US, learning from the school will give me a first hand learning experience of what leading practices standards issued after the crisis are trying to correct, for example Dr Chauva is very popular for teaching cases in financial crisis and credit risk analyses. when I come back, I would like to take a senior financial advisory role and work with the cbn, fmdq (financial market dealers quotation), sec (security exchange commission) in developing standards for our economy. The school also has one of the most brilliant minds in the Quantitative Finance space for example Dr Daniel Weagley who is an expert in teaching the relationship between financial markets and government agencies.

Me- My Uncle

VO- What does he do?
Me- He does internal audit, board appraisals and helps organizations in assessing their governance structure

VO- Are you married?
Me - No I’m not

VO- Any kids?
Me- None (laughs)

I was worried about my deficit and then saying it was my uncle (different surnames) paying. All the best guys, thank you for your support

Congrats dear!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 4:02pm On Jun 22, 2019
Awo95:
HELLO HOUSE !
PLEASE CAN I PAY MY VISA FEE WITH MY GT APP?
WILL I GET THE REFERENCE CODE/RECIEPT NUMBER WHEN I PAY WITH THE APP?

Yes you can. Very easy
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gloryemo(f): 4:04pm On Jun 22, 2019
Congratulations

TokeOlawunmi:
Hi everyone,

Deficit on I20- 45k

VO- Good morning
Me- Good morning

Me- My Uncle

VO- What does he do?

VO- Are you married?
Me - No I’m not

VO- Any kids?
Me- None (laughs)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 4:26pm On Jun 22, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hi everyone,

Deficit on I20- 45k

VO- Good morning
Me- Good morning

Me- My Uncle

VO- What does he do?

VO- Are you married?
Me - No I’m not

VO- Any kids?
Me- None (laughs)

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 4:27pm On Jun 22, 2019
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 4:29pm On Jun 22, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hi everyone,

Deficit on I20- 45k

VO- Good morning
Me- Good morning

Me- My Uncle

VO- What does he do?

VO- Are you married?
Me - No I’m not

VO- Any kids?
Me- None (laughs)

Congratulations!!!!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vert007: 4:33pm On Jun 22, 2019
TokeOlawunmi:
Hi everyone,

Deficit on I20- 45k

VO- Good morning
Me- Good morning

Me- My Uncle

VO- What does he do?

VO- Are you married?
Me - No I’m not

VO- Any kids?
Me- None (laughs)

Location was Abuja, right?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 4:41pm On Jun 22, 2019
May93:
Hi everyone.

I have been a silent follower of this page and I must say what you guys do here is amazing.

I worked towards grad school for fall 2019, I got admissions but no funding which is top priority for me.

Now I want to apply for Spring 2020 and I need your help.
I want to do it right to get the desired result(funding) which is why I’m here.

I want to go for a PhD in Industrial Engineering and I have these schools in mind:

University of Texas at Arlington
University of Arkansas
George Washington State University
New Mexico State University
Mississippi state University

My profile:
B.Eng Gas Engineering(GPA 4.05/5 equivalent to 3.46/4 WES unofficial evaluation )
GRE 308: Q-156, V-152, AWA 4.0
TOEFL:103

So guys, please I need your suggestions,recommendations about my course, choice of schools, generosity of the schools, ideas of other schools i should consider.
Also, I don’t mind doing Engineering Management. I just haven’t found schools with funding for it at PhD level.
Please i’ll be waiting for responses.

P.s this is my first comment on nairaland��

For direct PhD from Bsc, most schools require 3.5 gpa. Check out University of Arkansas requirements, make sure you apply there if you meet up with everything. Also check out University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Also either industry engineering or industrial and systems engineering, it’s the same thing. Some schools use it interchangeably.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 4:50pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheZed:
For direct PhD from Bsc, most schools require 3.5 gpa. Check out University of Arkansas requirements, make sure you apply there if you meet up with everything. Also check out University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Also either industry engineering or industrial and systems engineering, it’s the same thing. Some schools use it interchangeably.

Mostly top schools require that 3.5GPA, alot of schools has 3.0 GPA as minimum requirement for direct PhD

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 4:55pm On Jun 22, 2019
Time2win:

Mostly top schools require that 3.5GPA, alot of schools has 3.0 GPA as minimum requirement for direct PhD

What do you mean by top schools?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 4:57pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheZed:

Even 2.8 can apply for Phd in some schools. A lot of school don't require up to 3.5

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by May93: 5:04pm On Jun 22, 2019
Brown2Green:

I'm going for similar stuff.
Mine is ISYE ( Industrial and systems engineering)

You have to shoot on time.
Funding is very very hard for engineering programs.

Use Google. Personal research is key.

Go through as many schools as you can. (Minimum of 200) contact as many GCs as possible!

Have Safe schools too.

Funding is key.

Okay
I hope to submit my applications in July...latest.
Do you have any ideas for safe schools?
Are you going for fall 2019?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 5:06pm On Jun 22, 2019
Brown2Green:

Even 2.8 can apply for Phd in some schools. A lot of school don't require up to 3.5
Mention 10 schools that require 2.8 gpa for industrial engineering PhD
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by May93: 5:06pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheZed:

the University of Arkansas you mentioned, is it the one at Fayetteville or Little Rock?
I’ll check out Knoxville
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Americanpizza(f): 5:08pm On Jun 22, 2019
Location doesn't matter, be it Lagos consulate or abuja consulate.... What matter is grace. Prepare well and be honest.

vert007:

Location was Abuja, right?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 5:09pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheZed:
Mention 10 schools that require 2.8 gpa for industrial engineering PhD

And how many schools in total do you think offers industrial engineering that you require 10 schools
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kidUrbane: 5:12pm On Jun 22, 2019
@Twoods
grin when you say "most of you" I am not in the US Yes, I plan on studying in the US Yes. It's not a do or die for someone like me. visa comes fine, visa doesn't fine. You know why? I've got really amazing things going on for me in NIGERIA. something you probably couldn't achieve while you were here. We're excelling here sir! can you boldly say that when you were applying for your visa you openly mentioned to the V.O that you had immigrant intent? As long as you keep making unguarded remarks about Nigeria, I will always come for you. If you can't be a part of the problem just STFU. I don't see how you help anybody and i don't understand why any serious person would reach out to you for advise.

TWoods:

20 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 5:14pm On Jun 22, 2019
Brown2Green:

And how many schools in total do you think offers industrial engineering that you require 10 schools
okay I guess 10 isn’t fair, mention 4 then. I have a list of about 90+ schools (both ranked and unranked) that offer industrial engineering at graduate level.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 5:16pm On Jun 22, 2019
May93:

the University of Arkansas you mentioned, is it the one at Fayetteville or Little Rock?
I’ll check out Knoxville
Fayetteville. Apply for Msc If you don’t meet up with their PhD requirements

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 5:20pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheZed:
What do you mean by top schools?

Most schools in the top 100.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:23pm On Jun 22, 2019
kidUrbane:
@Twoods
grin when you say "most of you" I am not in the US Yes, I plan on studying in the US Yes. It's not a do or die for someone like me. visa comes fine, visa doesn't fine. You know why? I've got really amazing things going on for me in NIGERIA. something you probably couldn't achieve while you were here. We're excelling here sir! can you boldly say that when you were applying for your visa you openly mentioned to the V.O that you had immigrant intent? As long as you keep making unguarded remarks about Nigeria, I will always come for you. If you can't be a part of the problem just STFU. I don't see how you help anybody and i don't understand why any serious person would reach out to you for advise.

Another empty barrel who is “making it” in Nigeria, most likely through fraudulent contracts, but is camped here desperate for a visa to leave lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheZed(m): 5:27pm On Jun 22, 2019
Time2win:

Most schools in the top 100.
Top 100 rankings by department or general faculty rankings?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 5:28pm On Jun 22, 2019
TheZed:
Top 100 program rankings or general school rankings ?

General school ranking

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.