Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) (1276 Views)

Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) / Pope Francis Makes First Visit To The Arabian Peninsula / Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 09, 2019
Pope Francis has approved changes to the translation of the line “and lead us not into temptation”.

That line has been changed to “do not let us fall into temptation.”

When I was young, I used to be disturbed by this line, “and lead us not into temptation”.

So, I endorse the change. I think it is long overdue. Therefore I call on all Christendom to follow suit.

What do you think of the change?

Source

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Himmler: 6:08am On Jun 09, 2019
good move

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 6:10am On Jun 09, 2019
When Job was tempted it wasn't God that tempted him. God told Satan you can tempt him (test), but don't take his life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 6:18am On Jun 09, 2019
I'd rather let God lead so I do not encounter temptation on the way than see temptation & expect my sinful self not to fall. This modification is a trap, I won't fall for it.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by samuel900(m): 6:18am On Jun 09, 2019
No one not on Earth can add or remove from the WORD

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Davash222(m): 6:20am On Jun 09, 2019
Different words, same meaning.
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 6:21am On Jun 09, 2019
Lalasticlala please move this thread to the Front-page so the Christian faithful of Nairaland can be aware of this modification.
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 09, 2019
That's for the Romans.

We still working with the old Christ styled version- lead us not into temptation.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:
That's for the Romans.

We still working with the old Christ styled version- lead us not into temptation.

Don't you think that this has to do with the way the English translators translated that particular line?

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by iammo(m): 7:09am On Jun 09, 2019
shocked

Many people would miss heaven because of their earthly priest and pastors. Some prayers are like Incantation and you shouldnt change it for efficacy of the spell or prayer to be 100%.

Jesus didn't just wake up to give out the lords prayer.. but he gave it out during one of his instruction on the conduct of anyone who wants to access his father.

Some Intructions openly violated by priests and hypocrite

*So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. Ironically some of this Clergymen even announces their Donations on National Television and on the church podium. he went further to instruct them But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

*And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. this days pastors especially dramatic africans shout at God in form of prayers

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by NOC1(m): 7:10am On Jun 09, 2019
probably for Catholics, not for all of us
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by tolugar: 7:15am On Jun 09, 2019
samuel900:

Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven

Mathew 18:18
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by RandomGuy48: 7:57am On Jun 09, 2019
From what I can tell, this change was for the Italian version of the prayer, not the English one. Granted, a number are expecting the change will come to English also, but not I don't think it's happened yet. It is worth pointing out that this new version has been how it's been translated in at least some other languages already.

samuel900:
You're aware that the actual Lord's Prayer is in Greek, right? All that's being "changed" is the translation used in church services. Indeed, any translation inherently adds/removes from the Bible because it's impossible for a translation to perfectly capture the meaning of the original.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Liveair: 8:09am On Jun 09, 2019
samuel900:

Which 'WORD'? You have no clue how the bible was put together. Those who wrote it have right to edit.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by orisa37: 8:18am On Jun 09, 2019
Collect that Child from him before he falls into Temptation.
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by mu2sa2: 8:22am On Jun 09, 2019
RandomGuy48:
From what I can tell, this change was for the Italian version of the prayer, not the English one. Granted, a number are expecting the change will come to English also, but not I don't think it's happened yet. It is worth pointing out that this new version has been how it's been translated in at least some other languages already.

You're aware that the actual Lord's Prayer is in Greek, right? All that's being "changed" is the translation used in church services. Indeed, any translation inherently adds/removes from the Bible because it's impossible for a translation to perfectly capture the meaning of the original.
This reminds me of a Christian mocking a Muslim saying the muslims only read but dont understand the Quran because it's written in Arabic, a language they hardly speak. The Muslim replied that they prefer to read the Quran in the original because translations are sometimes misleading, if not wrong. The translator translates according to his capacity and understanding of both languages, some may even be mischievous or biassed. He said for example, God isn't strictly the equivalent of Allah but most translators fall into error on that score - only a few correctly leave Allah untranslated. The Muslim drew attention to the many versions of the bible in circulation and wondered why all of them can be "word of God", despite the fact that the contents aren't exactly the same even aside from losses associated with translation from the original language of the bible to English or yoruba or igbo etc. Some churches use Yaweh, not God.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by orisa37: 8:50am On Jun 09, 2019
And The Spirit lead Jesus into The Wilderness. And Satan tempted Him.
As Jesus Christ, The Righteous, He demonstrated Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding to deliver Himself.
The Prayer is "Lead us not into Temptation And Deliver us from Evil". God has Authority over all Powers and He alone reserves the Rights to serve His Pleasures. We are God's Tools. What Jesus is actually asking us to pray for is that God, as our Instructor, Director and Discernment, should please always make us do whatever is Righteous before Him.
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by LogicStatement: 10:30am On Jun 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:
That's for the Romans.

I read an article where a Theologian who understands both Hebrew and French fluently, stated that, in both the Hebrew and French Bibles, the translation is, "guide us not to fall into temptation" but he felt the English translation is misinterpreted which says "lead us not into temptation." In the English Bible, it sounds as if God leads us into temptation which is not true. Only satan does that.
I think the Pope is not out of place to make changes to the English translation. He has not changed or added to the Bible, he only changed the translation to the correct one in the English version.
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2019
Liveair:

Which 'WORD'? You have no clue how the bible was put together. Those who wrote it have right to edit.

Don't mind those funny mofos. grin The Bible fell from the sky cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by PaChukwudi44(m): 4:55pm On Jun 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:
That's for the Romans.

Ignoramuse do you have any idea how the bible came to be and by whom? Romans indeed!!

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by budaatum: 9:17pm On Jun 09, 2019
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Uyi168: 11:41pm On Jun 09, 2019
samuel900:
Buh People of the earth actually wrote the bible..
undecided

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Ubenedictus(m): 9:05am On Jun 10, 2019
Uyi168:
Buh People of the earth actually wrote the bible..
undecided
always remember to add the phrase "under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit".

That qualifies the statement
Re: Pope Francis Makes Changes To The Lord’s Prayer (See The Changes) by Uyi168: 10:06pm On Jun 10, 2019
Ubenedictus:
always remember to add the phrase "under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit".

That qualifies the statement
Even this part was written by men to make it look authentic...
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Exposes Snake Man Who Came To Attack Him (Video) / Be Warned, Dr. Sunday Adelaja Is A Satanic Agent And Preaches Satanic Gospel / Just In: Fire Burns Catholic Priest To Death In Nnewi (photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.