Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

German Girl In Love With An Ibo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / German Girl In Love With An Ibo (4306 Views)

It Was A Taboo For An Ibo Man To Take His Own Life / Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. / An Ibo Woman Married To A Yoruba Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Gera1980(f): 4:37pm On Oct 01, 2010
Kedu everyone,

hope you are doing well.

It is going to be one year now since I met my boyfriend. For 3 months now we are living together (in Germany) and I would love to believe that it is really me he is in love with. But even though I know him some time now (and I would like to state that I know him quite well), sometimes I still fear that it is only to get German passport why he wants to be with me.

But as we are both Catholics, I am trying to remind myself that it is all about understanding and forgiving. So, what can go wrong when you have faith and understanding?

Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

And if someone would like to teach me Igbo, I would be very glad, too.

Imela/ Thanks to all.

Best, Geraldine
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by chigo4u: 6:07pm On Oct 01, 2010
Dont be afraid dear. If u really luv him, just get him to be commited to you. If u wanna learn igbo ask him to teach u too. Its all about the ehh, Bye
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by excanny: 11:21pm On Oct 01, 2010
@ OP
Whao! I'm proud of your interest in Igbo language and culture. Keep it up, the more Igbo you becoming, the more you'll get into your boyfriend's heart. I'll love to see you guys married so you can come visit Igbo land and run some foundation of encouraging more Igbo kids in the villages to go to universities.

Chukwu gozie gi. Igbo nile furugi nanya.

P.S.
Seems german girls are easy to Igbonize, mind hooking me up with a fine one.

Also, the correct term is 'Igbo' as the name of our language and people, not ibo which is a misnomer. We find it offensive being referred to as 'ibo'.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Gera1980(f): 1:10pm On Oct 02, 2010
Dear Excanny,

I apologize, in German language Igbo is the name for the language and Ibo the name for the people.

What is the meaning of "furugi"?

I know a lot fine German girls, maybe you can give me a rough age. It will make things easier.

Unfortunately it is not so easy to marry a "Non-Euopean foreigner" in Germany. Lots of bureaucracy. So maybe we will travel to Nigeria to get married or just try to get pregnant, which would be the "easiest way". I am somewhat jealous on African women when it comes to that topic. It seems they are getting pregnant so easily. In our church community (I am attending Igbo church since May now) there are always some pregnant women, almost every second sunday there is a baptism. Me and my boyfriend are trying for half a year now, but it did not work out, yet. :-(
Some of his people are already trying to scare him away from me, talking like "are you sure this girl will help. Just go out and meet some other girls and try to get one pregnant." and things like that. But luckily he is not listening to such nonsense. On the other hand, he also has some friends which are realy nice and really trying for me as they recognize I am trying pretty much for their "brother" :-)

What I can say by now: I never had such a good relationship as I am having now. Even though I was in a relationship for about 8 years before, I never felt this way I do now. And this is really encouraging.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by excanny: 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2010
24-28

furu gi/huru gi means 'see you'.

'Igbo nile furu gi nanya' means 'Igbo people love you',or literally ' Igbo people see you in the eye'.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by InkedNerd(f): 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2010
Gera1980:

Igbo is the name for the language and Ibo the name for the people.

Yes, your correct. Often times people tend to use the words as as one but their not.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by excanny: 9:38pm On Oct 02, 2010
Gera1980:
Igbo is the name for the language and Ibo the name for the people.

No, she's wrong the correct word is 'Igbo' for both the name of the people and their language. 'Ibo' is a misnomer and offensive. Try educating your German people that that is how the native speakers of the language call themselves in their language.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by InkedNerd(f): 9:54pm On Oct 02, 2010
excanny:

No, she's wrong the correct word is 'Igbo' for both the name of the people and their language. 'Ibo' is a misnomer and offensive. Try educating your German people that that is how the native speakers of the language call themselves in their language.

I was once confused about it as well. Then I spoke to some Nigerian professors at my school and they've all said the same thing she said.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by ezeagu(m): 10:21pm On Oct 02, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

I was once confused about it as well. Then I spoke to some Nigerian professors at my school and they've all said the same thing she said.

It's Igbo for both. When speaking Igbo, you don't ask 'I na sukwa Ibo', Ibo is door or something else, it's Igbo for both.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Arysexy(m): 2:42am On Oct 05, 2010
Ibo is a misnomer for igbo, just the same way the british call Oka as Awka, Okunano as Awkunanaw, Amaobia as Amawbia, Onicha as Onitsha etc, So we are igbo and our language is igbo too, u are welcome to igboland, our ppl are caring and monogamous in nature so feel relax with your guy, he will take care of u well.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Obiagu1(m): 10:53pm On Oct 05, 2010
@ Gera1980

The main reason some Nigerians fail to marry white girls is because of divorce. If you could assure him you’d stick with him till the end, for better or for worse, then he’ll have more faith in you that you won’t leave him in the future which Igbos detest.
Good you’re a catholic.

@ Inked_Nerd

It's not Ibo.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by AndreUweh(m): 12:13am On Oct 06, 2010
@INKED_NERD.
IT IS IGBO
IGBO.
Do not let Efulefus deceive you.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by InkedNerd(f): 6:13am On Oct 06, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@INKED_NERD.
IT IS IGBO
IGBO.
Do not let Efulefus deceive you.

lol, thanks. I still believe that there's a difference though. I don't believe that the professors that I spoke to lied to me grin. Thanks for the reassurance though.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by excanny: 7:28am On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

lol, thanks. I still believe that there's a difference though. I don't believe that the professors that I spoke to lied to me grin. Thanks for the reassurance though.

At this point i must ask, what's your ethnicity?
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by InkedNerd(f): 7:58am On Oct 06, 2010
excanny:

At this point i must ask, what's your ethnicity?

Before I answer, I'd like to know why do you want to know my ethnic background?
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by excanny: 8:13am On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Except he's ignorant, nobody of Igbo ancestry will say what you said about your professors being right about the word 'ibo'. And i saw something like 'Enugu' in your location, then i begin to wonder.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by bkbabe97y(m): 8:26am On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Typical Nigerian: ANSWER A QUESTION WITH A QUESTION! lol.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by InkedNerd(f): 9:21am On Oct 06, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Typical Nigerian: ANSWER A QUESTION WITH A QUESTION! lol.

Must you always rear your head into every thread I post at? Smh.

excanny:

Except he's ignorant, nobody of Igbo ancestry will say what you said about your professors being right about the word 'ibo'. And i saw something like 'Enugu' in your location, then i begin to wonder.

Look, I'm just telling you what I have been told. Ans what is it that you're wondering?
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by excanny: 11:35am On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Look, I'm just telling you what I have been told. Ans what is it that you're wondering?

I was just wondering, if you are by any chance Igbo, it means you dont understand Igbo then. If you did, you'd corrected the professors yourself.

But you can always learn the language, it's never too late. Spend more time in Igboland.

Or I might you teach you if you are hot and sexy. comprendez?
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by ezeagu(m): 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

I don't see any post saying that your professors lied to you, they're just ignorant to the topic. Ibo is considered a spelling mistake. You couldn't give me an example of an Igbo organisation that says that Ibo is the language and Igbo are the people.

I hope you know that being a professor doesn't make you the sole author of truth?
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by InkedNerd(f): 9:11pm On Oct 06, 2010
excanny:

I was just wondering, if you are by any chance Igbo, it means you dont understand Igbo then. If you did, you'd corrected the professors yourself.

But you can always learn the language, it's never too late. Spend more time in Igboland.

Or I might you teach you if you are hot and sexy. comprendez?

My dear, when did I tell you that I didn't understand Igbo?

ezeagu:

I don't see any post saying that your professors lied to you, they're just ignorant to the topic. Ibo is considered a spelling mistake. You couldn't give me an example of an Igbo organisation that says that Ibo is the language and Igbo are the people.

I hope you know that being a professor doesn't make you the sole author of truth?

Ok, whatever. If that's what you say then fine.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by nanidee(f): 1:52pm On Oct 09, 2010
@ OP, why would your mind even drift to the thought of him wanting you for a german passport? has he given you any reason to think in that direction?  undecided undecided

being insecure could amount to a problem.
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 09, 2010
Poster,

Have you dated a [b]Yoruba [/b]man?

Try it, you'll think heaven is on earth wink
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by nanidee(f): 2:22pm On Oct 09, 2010
^^

I dont think that was what she wanted to know, tongue tongue
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2010
nanidee:

^^

I dont think that was what she wanted to know, tongue tongue

Just helping a sista out grin grin

I want the BEST for her tongue
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by ezeagu(m): 4:00pm On Oct 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Poster,

Have you dated a [b]Yoruba [/b]man?

Try it, you'll think heaven is on earth wink

lol, is that one fiery Shango heaven? tongue
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 09, 2010
ezeagu:

lol, is that one fiery Shango heaven? tongue

Nah, one fiery Yorubaland heaven. Or if she wants it in Germany, my brothers can give it to her. grin

@poster
Where in Germany are you? I know one sexy azz Yoruba man there wink
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by nanidee(f): 4:12pm On Oct 09, 2010
Chei,

@ OP, if you want real-life horror, then you should consider Ileke-idi's proposal. But if you want Tender loving care, then, stick to your boo.

grin grin  tongue tongue
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 09, 2010
nanidee:

Chei,

@ OP, if you want real-life horror, then you should consider Ileke-idi's proposal. But if you want Tender loving care, then, stick to your boo.

grin grin  tongue tongue

What horror?

Have you dated a Yoruba man before? What happened? tongue

@Poster
Yoruba men get swagga die. Them sweet pass o[ They're very sweet loving]. Even Igbo babes are falling for them in plenty.
Dont mind nanidee, if I give her sjeezy8 or SEFAGO, she'll be smiling for the rest of her life grin grin grin
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by nanidee(f): 4:38pm On Oct 09, 2010
[/quote]Have you dated a Yoruba man before? What happened? tongue

ehm, yeah, one, and that was a little while ago, but it was never as exciting as dating the igbo brothers,   tongue

@Poster
Yoruba men get swagga die. Them sweet pass o[ They're very sweet loving]. Even Igbo babes are falling for them in plenty.
Dont mind nanidee, if I give her sjeezy8 or SEFAGO, she'll be smiling for the rest of her life grin grin grin
[quote]

cry cry cry cry

on second thoughts, maybe you should try ehm, (what are the names of these igbo dudes on nairaland sef undecided undecided)
**she goes away to check out some posts on igbo threads**
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2010
nanidee:

ehm, yeah, one, and that was a little while ago, but it was never as exciting as dating the igbo brothers,   tongue

Of course I expect you to say so.

@Poster
The day your man starts acting up, but drop and find a Yoruba man. You will never regret it, I guarantee it. You'll enjoy our culture, beautiful and bountiful lol. Egbe omo Yoruba, SW Nigeria tongue tongue tongue

nanidee:

on second thoughts, maybe you should try ehm, (what are the names of these igbo dudes on nairaland sef undecided undecided)
**she goes away to check out some posts on igbo threads**

Not interested grin grin grin
Re: German Girl In Love With An Ibo by nanidee(f): 5:54pm On Oct 09, 2010
^^

Oh well, if you say so, was just trying to help a sister out. But dont say I didnt tell you, . tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Your All-time 'most Admired Person' / I Cant Cook Soup Well: Need Help / Is Sex Before Marriage A New Culture In Nigeria Or What??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.