Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. (50674 Views)

My NYSC Experience In Kano: One Year Of Joy, Challenges, Tears And Victory / Corper Azeez Shittu Olalekan Missing In Jigawa After Their Bus Was Robbed / Lanre Amu: ‘My NYSC Experience At 54' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by chioma134: 12:10am On Jun 14, 2019
Served in Dutse a decade ago. Camp was in Gumel. Can't forget the extreme cold in Gumel, and extreme heat in Dutse. Cool place, low crime rate as you have highlighted. Also met some really nice indigenes. However, couldn't shake off the feeling that I was a sitting duck, with occasional snide remarks by some people. There was also obvious bias for muslims in the workplace. And in the heat of the first Boko haram attack in Wudil, Kano State, through which the only road to Kano, and hence our exit, passed through, I saw majority of the people rejoice that Christians were being attacked. I didn't waste time in leaving the place after service.
They (northerners) are all the same basically. I think the reason Jigawa is calm is because they
are about 97% Muslim, so other religions tend to comply with their taste in dressing, mannerism etc to avoid trouble.
No disrespect intended.

14 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by damzy88: 12:17am On Jun 14, 2019
Ugonwaeze14:
Your English no be here, I swear.

Chaii
I tell you. grin
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by johnjay4u2u(m): 12:40am On Jun 14, 2019
l love your use of words, OP. You should be teaching English. Also, consider freelance writing.
Nigeria has separate worlds within it. We are worlds apart per ethnicity.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by fakuta(f): 12:49am On Jun 14, 2019
I am from Adamawa but I served in Jigawa.
Honestly I was surprised with some of their lifestyles. I was just asking myself if was in northern Nigeria or another world, especially about the child marriage. During my time 2014/2015 I was invited by 14yrs old boy to his wedding. I was kind of freezed shocked
God bless sule Lamido.
Northern Nigeria need leaders like him.
The infrastructural development and Free education was what his state needed the most that time and he did it.

13 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by FriendNG: 12:50am On Jun 14, 2019
Lastorator:

You know the north and i know the south... Guy try this thing they call travelling and come down south.
Today a man got kidnapped in my street here in uyo... I stayed for one full year in jigawa without hearing a single gunshot...

When i tell you the level of vices is low, what you need to do is check up the meaning of vice and stop forming king of the north... Guy i grew up all south, and am iam from the riverine area, so when i tell u something you either travel down here to check or j just pass.

In fanisau camp i kept my laptops under my bed and left my phone chargin overnight, all 21days no one as much as stole acharger... Try dr shocked

You know the north and i know the south... Guy try this thing they call travelling and come down south.
Today a man got kidnapped in my street here in uyo... I stayed for one full year in jigawa without hearing a single gunshot...

When i tell you the level of vices is low, what you need to do is check up the meaning of vice and stop forming king of the north... Guy i grew up all south, and am iam from the riverine area, so when i tell u something you either travel down here to check or j just pass.

In fanisau camp i kept my laptops under my bed and left my phone chargin overnight, all 21days no one as much as stole a charger.
The CKC church i attended i always forgot my power bank, almost 4tyms and i always returned the nezt day to see it still pluged with my charger.

I went to kano farm centre,i forgot my phone in the taxi, as southi guy wey i be, i forgot the phone as stolen and bought anew one... While trying to retrieve my sim, i asked the guys there to please try my line,and it was still goin... That's how I went and collected my phone and now hv 2phones which i still hold, and the guy didnt want anything in return.

Guy thats an area i will love to grow my kids, where money is not valued more than morals and people.. We have different standards

People who like to pen down the truth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by FriendNG: 12:53am On Jun 14, 2019
Lastorator:

I love what their past govnor did, almost all streets hv street lights, Federal university of Dutse students always stay out to read all night under streetslight... I left my pc and phones charging in FUDand went for clearance and returned to find them there...

In uniuyo wherei attended i was charging my phone and left to copy a movie,only to return n not see my phone.

Vice in the norgh is very very low, and the cost of living too... I bought a goat for 5k at Laraba market.. Its just the heat and cold that spoil that place for me
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by realoscar84(m): 12:56am On Jun 14, 2019
I served in Gumel, 2012/2013 at GSS, exact secondary School U camped. I enjoy Jigawa very much. I'm used to Northern Nigeria though cuz I actually schooled in Jos n I'm a Muslim.

BrilliantF:

I camped in Gumel, that was in 2016 Nov. They said the population of that set was much, so they had two camps for that set. Jigawa is such a nice place. Though I didn't like the weather. I enjoyed my service year

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 12:56am On Jun 14, 2019
johnjay4u2u:
l love your use of words, OP.
You should be teaching English.
Also, consider freelance writing.

Nigeria has separate worlds within it. We are worlds apart per ethnicity.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 1:00am On Jun 14, 2019
Wow! Saw this thread on the FP and I can't help but marvel. Network over here has been an eyesore hence my inability to update the thread. I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

4 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 1:01am On Jun 14, 2019
fakuta:
Honestly I was surprised with some of their lifestyles. I was just asking myself if was in northern Nigeria or another world, especially about the child marriage. During my time 2014/2015 I was invited by 14yrs old boy to his wedding. I was kind of freezed shocked
God bless sule Lamido.
The infrastructural development and Free education was what his state needed the most that time and he did it.

smiley
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by DANLOVELYHOOD: 1:02am On Jun 14, 2019
Bbbwings:
What is new about the experience up north.
A cliche that it is a safe space despite what we hear in the news.
OK
Let me read it first.

Yea this is a true northern experience
A place reeking with the stench of poverty, illiteracy, and insecurity.
This doesn't matter. They like it that way.

Thank God for your life you made it back in one piece.

And the dunderheads on here only want sex stories..

Dont be an hypocrite...."liking it that way" at the detriment and progress of national development how on earth can primary 6 and jss 1 student breed good and responsible offspring and not the gullible and element of social miscreants.....Nigeria is really in trouble with all this slavery and primitive oriented northers

long in doubt of positive prospects of better Nigeria with people like you

6 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 1:05am On Jun 14, 2019
enemyofprogress:
up till now you've not made mention of fokn any babe in jigawa?are you sure you travelled down there with your prick? Your story and stay there are incomplete without you fokn at least 5 babes there.

I wanted to simply ignore. However its important I respond to this one.
I definitely travelled to Jigawa state with my prick! wink

3 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 1:07am On Jun 14, 2019
TheExecutioner:

Super man is from DC Comics not Marvel.
Thanks for the correction.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Bejusttoall: 1:14am On Jun 14, 2019
fakuta:
God bless sule Lamido.
That is serious
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 1:35am On Jun 14, 2019
sammyuche:
How much did u pay the mod to push this to fp

#0 was paid. Look on the bright side bro.

4 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 1:48am On Jun 14, 2019
Bbbwings:
What is new about the experience up north.
A cliche that it is a safe space despite what we hear in the news.
OK
Let me read it first.

Yea this is a true northern experience
A place reeking with the stench of poverty, illiteracy, and insecurity.
This doesn't matter. They like it that way.

Thank God for your life you made it back in one piece.

And the dunderheads on here only want sex stories..

Aww, its comforting to know that you actually read the piece. For the record, I'm still serving. Just thought it necessary to pen down my experience so far In the state.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by enemyofprogress: 1:55am On Jun 14, 2019
Etimocracy:

I wanted to simply ignore. However its important I respond to this one.
I definitely travelled to Jigawa state with my prick! wink
ok prove it by telling me what you did with hajia and co

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Etimocracy(m): 2:26am On Jun 14, 2019
The long awaited wedding day finally showed up. The staff of the Junior Secondary School didn't disappoint. We showed up to support our own and wish him a happy married life. It was a colourful event and even though I wasn't in support, there was absolutely nothing I could do. The boy's father was quite pleased when he saw us and gave us a hearty welcome.
Suffice it to say, we had fun. The boy was no where to be found the next couple of weeks and I understood perfectly. He's a family man now, hence no point attending school anymore.
#to be continued#

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Soldier911: 2:30am On Jun 14, 2019
Easy Transport Initiative brings to you U.I STRAIGHT TO CAMP transport services, this is to facilitate the transportation of University of Ibadan Prospective corp member to camp.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Nobody: 2:48am On Jun 14, 2019
I really like the north, because of the space, agriculture, cold... But I hate the heat and feeling that they might just wake up and kill you......
Generally, to me i just love scanty places

8 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by bumzydaprince: 4:13am On Jun 14, 2019
Etimocracy:

Aww, its comforting to know that you actually read the piece. For the record, I'm still serving. Just thought it necessary to pen down my experience so far In the state.
Am also serving there now...currently in dutse,the place is actually nice and calm
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by bumzydaprince: 4:16am On Jun 14, 2019
The only thing that lacks here is social life cos of the sharia stuff, but other things are OK...especially the light and water....am speaking up for those in dutse tho, don't know much about other places

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by DPovertymessiah: 4:54am On Jun 14, 2019
Great piece , you are a talented writer. I hope you are making money off it. Get your own blog.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by alexvic12: 5:05am On Jun 14, 2019
Iolo:

Interesting. They must have relocated that camp from Gumel. I served in Hadejia, Jigawa about a decade ago. Splendid place I must say.

OP pls post pics as well if you can.

The Gumel camp is still there. They now use it for those deployed to Borno state.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by Hamzaay(m): 5:42am On Jun 14, 2019
Your writing skills is indeed very commendable. That alone should put food on your table.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by abdulkayus(m): 5:45am On Jun 14, 2019
TheExecutioner:
Plateau is not core North. There are still elements of civilization there.

The definition of civilization can be subjective. Don't have that superiority complex. To u, u may claim to be civilized, but to the western world, u are a Bush man and a backward person.
What u tend to civilization may not be civilization to some other people. People you look at to even be uncivilised may actually look at you as an uncivilised person. That is life.
Listen to Chimamanda Adichi's Danger of a single story.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by namiji2598: 5:50am On Jun 14, 2019
abdeiz:
The marriage part really got me cracking especially your reaction.

I'm not supporting child marriage but the reason why they seem happy is because they don't put making money first. Yes they don't put a high priority on acquiring wealth unlike other places. They see marriage as a form of prosperity where they do God's bidding to multiple and spread the religion all over the world.

They don't mind eating tuwo and miyan kuka for the rest of their lives.

I stand to be corrected tho.
their parents have billions of naira
Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by namiji2598: 5:54am On Jun 14, 2019
TheExecutioner:
Thank goodness I redeployed IMMEDIATELY I got the chance. I'm not very patient at suffering fools. The moment I heard Ba Turenchi, I knew I had to find my way back to civilization.
I eventually served in Lagos and I will NEVER regret it.
every state in Nigeria have an uncivilized community even Abuja talk more of a village like lagos,I am serving in akwa ibom state, a village like Uruk Uso abak akwa ibom state DNT even hear English language. and if as a Nigerian u think one State is completely civilized then u urself is nt yet civilized, this country itself is still uncivilized

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by ChemicalMallam(m): 5:58am On Jun 14, 2019
Etimocracy:

judging from the time and dates contained, I can tell you're 18c1. I've been to you PPA, mine is close by, Buji to be precise. and I'm also 18c1

As regards to the marriage thing, I believe they do that cos they've got everything figured out in there own way. try making inquiry and you'll get to know that that boy already has a farm and probably a bigimi (a fully grown cow). FYI one of such cows even in the north here can go for nothing less than 150k and such cows are in pairs. so if he's to sell those cows here in Kano or kaduna state, he's going home with nothing less than 300k, imagine if such cows are brought down south. the bottom line is that this guys are rich in there own little way.

And one of the reasons behind such is to prevent the kids from indecency. they'll rather marry off their 15 years old daughter than watch her jump from one man to another. They rather encourage their sons to be father's than watch them become baby daddy. That seems fare to to considering the level of indecency in our society today.

it's not like I'm trying to rationalize their way of life but even those down south, if you've got the basic things needed to survive in your environment, the next thing is marriage. for example a young man after serving his oga and the said oga establishing the said boy and business begin to bloom. what the next step in life if not marriage?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by namiji2598: 6:00am On Jun 14, 2019
Lastorator:

In fanisau camp i kept my laptops under my bed and left my phone chargin overnight, all 21days no one as much as stole acharger... Try dr shocked

In fanisau camp i kept my laptops under my bed and left my phone chargin overnight, all 21days no one as much as stole a charger.
The CKC church i attended i always forgot my power bank, almost 4tyms and i always returned the nezt day to see it still pluged with my charger.

I went to kano farm centre,i forgot my phone in the taxi, as southi guy wey i be, i forgot the phone as stolen and bought anew one... While trying to retrieve my sim, i asked the guys there to please try my line,and it was still goin... That's how I went and collected my phone and now hv 2phones which i still hold, and the guy didnt want anything in return.

Guy thats an area i will love to grow my kids, where money is not valued more than morals and people.. We have different standards
I am from gombe state, I am currently serving in akwa ibom, abak army barrack,I used to stay in kano before I comes for service, the place u mentioned farm center is jus like some few metres away from my house self

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by uvie66: 6:02am On Jun 14, 2019
Etimocracy, your eloquence is out of this world, I duff my hat off for you.

3 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. by mannycrown: 6:08am On Jun 14, 2019
"Jigawa, Jigawa, Corpers no like J-i-g-a-w-a" that was our interpretation of the sound of the military bugle used to call us to the parade ground! That was mad fun for us.
Our time, orientation camp was in Gumel, Gumel local government area- i think Government Science Sec Schl Gumel. The illetracy level in Jigawa is embarrassing. I will always remember Jigawa as the poorest state in Nigeria. #GoodMemoirs OP

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Matilda Okeke Ekiti Corper Dies Of Typhoid / Corper Who Got A Gift From Govenor Abubakar In Bauchi During POP .PICS / NYSC DG Gives Update On The Payment Of New Minimum Wage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.