Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 (31582 Views)

Wole Olanipekun: Why Obasanjo Almost Punched Me / 2019: Why Obasanjo Turned Against Buhari - Ex Gov. Oyinlola / Frame-up Allegation: Why Obasanjo Should Not Be Worried – Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by Bobbyigwe(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2019
ofeco:
June 12 has no benefits to a common man in the street, it's just an avenue for the elites to hold dinner party and spend our money, June 12 should not be a day of celebration but a for sober reflection, what gains have we made in our democratic journey? is our voice been heard by those in govt? Is our judiciary independent? Do we have freedom of expression? Does our vote count? these are questions that we should be asking ourselves . when you ask yourself these questions that is when you know if it worth's celebrating. A country where the leader of the highest policy making body is being hand picked by the executive, a country where a sitting governor kidnapped electoral body official and compelled the official to declare him the winner of the election , a country where some governors and their party leaders disenfranchised some citizens simply because they perceived that those citizens might vote against their candidate, a country where a father is a sitting senator (former governor) and his son a speaker against the wishes of the indigenes of the state. Why the celebration?
You're saying this just because you know little or nothing about June 12 please ask elderly people to tell you story about d day before you started comment
Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by food4tot: 4:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
@OP
Obasanjo went to the same secondary school as Abiola (Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta), maybe they had a big fight in school and they never made up
Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by SirBunky85(m): 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2019
oz4real83:
There is a lot of information available to obasanjo that ordinary Nigerians don't know of that made him draw that conclusion. We all will be ashame and angry with most people we call ''heros'' in this country if we know much about them apart from what we know about them on newspapers,tv and radio.
so he's the only one with the information abi?the obj I know won't waste time to spill the beans if there's anything to be spilled.Mr man,selfishness is the sole reason obj failed to acknowledge mko.it's all just abt himself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by NaMeAboki: 5:08pm On Jun 12, 2019
Bitter old man.
Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by ofeco: 5:45pm On Jun 12, 2019
[quote author=Bobbyigwe post=79264419] You're saying this just because you know little or nothing about June 12 please ask elderly people to tell you story about d day before you started

Tell me what you think is so special about June 12, why refer me to elders when you already know ?
Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by striker07(m): 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2019
kayjay69:
I get you, I really do. In hindsight, knowing what I know now, Obasanjo was right to say Abiola was not the messiah that Nigeria needed at that point. It is now common knowledge that Abiola benefitted massively from successive administrations (both military and civilian) enriching himself through corrupt means at the expense of the ordinary Nigerian. He was skilled at the art of deception, often behind the scenes while pulling strings to ensure that he thwarted the will of the Nigerian people either through coups or through rigged elections. And again in my opinion, he got what he deserved but I feel that is where it should stop.

The elections on June 12th, 1993 were the freest and fairest we have had as a country since the very inception. That much cannot be denied whether through clever talk or hearsay. It is true Tinubu and his cohorts primarily lobbied Buhari to have this as democracy day in a bid to win SW votes in the last elections (and look how that turned out, hahahaha). But what you also must understand is that the June 12th elections were personal for Tinubu as well. He also got his elections into the 3rd republic Senate annulled. And honestly speaking, May 29th (is it 27th, not sure abeg) was the day the Military handed over power to a Civilian Govt for the 4th Republic but in my view it does not hold as much significance as June 12th as the actual day we all as a nation despite our many differences tried atleast to vote in good conscience for our preferred candidates which is what democracy is about.

Does this mean I like Tinubu, Buhari or their politics? NO. But it is hard to fault their decision to recognise June 12th as Democracy day. And I think it continues even further to be harder for the likes of Obasanjo (who by the way was one of the sellouts of June 12th and who then benefitted massively from the fallout of June 12th) to continue not to acknowledge the importance of that day in our shared history.

FYI, I do not like anyone of these guys I mentioned by name above. One is not better that the other (my opinion). They've only had one mission and one mission alone which is to seek and gain power for power's sake and to use it to enrich themselves and their cronies at the detriment of the average Nigerian. But even when you do not agree with a person, you can still applaud their logic where applicable.
unfounded and unintelligent reasoning, what you said isn't more than a beer parlour talk
Re: Why Obasanjo Refused To Recognise June 12 by shomutuski(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
maasoap:

Abiola was too ambitious? He killed himself? You even called him idiot!
You called him idiot and telling people not to mention you!
Well, I don't blame you, I blame your mother for not doing proper job raising you.

What a shame!!! As much as i have a burning desire to reply you, I rather have u talk to my face and watch me beat u into a pulp. Don't ever mention my mum again... yours supposedly raised u well abiiii.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Border Closure: Beninese Groan In Pains, Lament Loses / How Abacha Stole Billions In Truckloads - Enrico Monfrini (BBC) / Ihejirika Visits Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, Assures Him Of His Commitment (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.