Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,096 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear (9866 Views)

Experienced Drivers, How Do We Solve This Kind Of Tyre Issue? / See The Typical Dashboard Of Danfos In Lagos (PHOTOS) / 8 Common Causes Of Tyre Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by AutoJoshNIG: 6:25am On Jun 13, 2019

Every part of your car is important, but your tyres are one of the most vital parts. Your tyres are supposed to be in good condition at all times.

As the day passes by, tyre manufacturers think out ways to improve fuel economy, handling performance, safety, etc, we the way things are going now, you’ll realize that the technological developments in the tyre world are making a big difference. Run flat tyres are one of these major developments in the tyre world.

Your tyres are the only grip and contact between your vehicle and the road and at such, much care should be given to them. If there are other grips and contact, kindly take your car to a professional mechanic.

Anything that make your tyres deviate from giving your car safe grip to the ground should be avoided.

Below are the 10 typical causes of tyre wear

1. Under-inflation:
This will cause the tyre to wear on the outer edges of the tread, leaving the central tread area far less worn. The tyre inner-liner can also degrade.

2. Over-inflation:
This will result in the central tread area being forced into contact with the road causing rapid or crown wear.

3. Wheel misalignment:
This will cause the edge of the tread to be “feathered” and wear progressively from one side.

4. Illegal Wear:
This tyre has been used well after reaching the legal minimum pattern depth of 1.6mm across the central ¾ of the tread, going around the complete circumference of the tyre.

5. End of Life:
The tyre has reached the legal minimum pattern depth of 1.6mm

6. Emergency Braking:
An emergency braking manoeuvre can cause the tyre to rapidly wear through the complete casing, causing the tyre to deflate.

7. Cuts:
Sharp objects can cause considerable damage rendering a tyre unserviceable.

8. Impact and Sidewall damage:
A bulge or “egg” may indicate localised casing damage impact damage. Sidewall or shoulder damage should never be repaired.

9. Tyre Age:
This is commonly identified by small cracks (crazing) appearing in the sidewall. Tread depth can also be used as a suitable indication of when tyres should be replaced as tyre treads generally wear out before the ageing effect becomes a problem. Premature tyre ageing can affect safety and increase the risk of failure.

10. Driving habits:
Every vehicle has parts that need to be replaced constantly; your tyres are among these parts. Driving habit is largely responsible for the state of your tyres. A careful driver is likely to enjoy tyres for a longer life span than a careless driver.

Proper tyre care can substantially prolong their average life. A driver that does the right things like alignment and so on has better chances.

Did we miss anything? Kindly let us know using the comment section.

Don’t forget to like, rater and share.

Source: https://autojosh.com/10-typical-causes-tyre-wear/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by freemanbubble: 7:15am On Jun 13, 2019
Okay
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Harryase(m): 7:19am On Jun 13, 2019
Very informative...

See signature
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Bet9jaVirtual: 7:19am On Jun 13, 2019
Now I know the reason I'm always changing the tyres of my Wheel Barrow.

3 Likes

Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by soberdrunk(m): 7:29am On Jun 13, 2019
grin
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by TANID(m): 7:30am On Jun 13, 2019
Educative
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by AroOkigbo(m): 7:31am On Jun 13, 2019
Road conditions.

A typical tyre will wear faster on a bad road (rough- undulating and un-tarred) than on a good one (smooth with lesser turns).

1 Like

Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 13, 2019
You forgot the add drifting and bad Nigeria roads.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by chukkystar(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2019
Nigerian Road nko
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by recievesense: 7:37am On Jun 13, 2019
AutoJoshNIG:

Every part of your car is important, but your tyres are one of the most vital parts. Your tyres are supposed to be in good condition at all times.

As the day passes by, tyre manufacturers think out ways to improve fuel economy, handling performance, safety, etc, we the way things are going now, you’ll realize that the technological developments in the tyre world are making a big difference. Run flat tyres are one of these major developments in the tyre world.

Your tyres are the only grip and contact between your vehicle and the road and at such, much care should be given to them. If there are other grips and contact, kindly take your car to a professional mechanic.

Anything that make your tyres deviate from giving your car safe grip to the ground should be avoided.

Below are the 10 typical causes of tyre wear

1. Under-inflation:
This will cause the tyre to wear on the outer edges of the tread, leaving the central tread area far less worn. The tyre inner-liner can also degrade.

2. Over-inflation:
This will result in the central tread area being forced into contact with the road causing rapid or crown wear.

3. Wheel misalignment:
This will cause the edge of the tread to be “feathered” and wear progressively from one side.

4. Illegal Wear:
This tyre has been used well after reaching the legal minimum pattern depth of 1.6mm across the central ¾ of the tread, going around the complete circumference of the tyre.

5. End of Life:
The tyre has reached the legal minimum pattern depth of 1.6mm

6. Emergency Braking:
An emergency braking manoeuvre can cause the tyre to rapidly wear through the complete casing, causing the tyre to deflate.

7. Cuts:
Sharp objects can cause considerable damage rendering a tyre unserviceable.

8. Impact and Sidewall damage:
A bulge or “egg” may indicate localised casing damage impact damage. Sidewall or shoulder damage should never be repaired.

9. Tyre Age:
This is commonly identified by small cracks (crazing) appearing in the sidewall. Tread depth can also be used as a suitable indication of when tyres should be replaced as tyre treads generally wear out before the ageing effect becomes a problem. Premature tyre ageing can affect safety and increase the risk of failure.

10. Driving habits:
Every vehicle has parts that need to be replaced constantly; your tyres are among these parts. Driving habit is largely responsible for the state of your tyres. A careful driver is likely to enjoy tyres for a longer life span than a careless driver.

Proper tyre care can substantially prolong their average life. A driver that does the right things like alignment and so on has better chances.

Did we miss anything? Kindly let us know using the comment section.

Don’t forget to like, rater and share.

Source: https://autojosh.com/10-typical-causes-tyre-wear/

emergency braking for cars without ABS brakes

1 Like

Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by omonla10(m): 7:39am On Jun 13, 2019
11...Lagos roads under governor Ambode.. been plying okada to work for d past 1 year for d sake of bad roads everywhere..I just pray dis Sanwo olu place his priority on removing potholes from Lagos roads..
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 13, 2019
Please somebody help me...!

I dreamt a strange dream last night,,, i saw myself and some people in a strange place filled with water, the water is filled with light and dim. I, and the people walk on the water to a certain large gate, i open the gate 3 times before we finally see what was in-a flaming fire. The people i'm with quickly shouted 'it's hell fire' so i shut the gate with haste.

We decide on going back in to where we come from, where we found a gate too, i also opened the gate 3 times and we saw a shining light, we walk into the light and suddenly found darkness coming toward us. We ran and i shut the gate, we where in the strange place till i woke up

please if you can interpret dreams, tell me the meaning..
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by moyinoluwabun(m): 7:40am On Jun 13, 2019
11. Nigeria bad road
12. Quality of tyres
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by bluefilm: 7:46am On Jun 13, 2019
Non usage of the tyres for a very long period of time.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Goldenheart(m): 7:47am On Jun 13, 2019
yeah! right
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by compromise(f): 7:57am On Jun 13, 2019
NaijaHooddrive:

I dreamt a strange dream last night,,, i saw myself and some people in a strange place filled with water, the water is filled with light and dim. I, and the people walk on the water to a certain large gate, i open the gate 3 times before we finally see what was in-a flaming fire. The people i'm with quickly shouted 'it's hell fire' so i shut the gate with haste.

We decide on going back in to where we come from, where we found a gate too, i also opened the gate 3 times and we saw a shining light, we walk into the light and suddenly found darkness coming toward us. We ran and i shut the gate, we where in the strange place till i woke up

Na die you wan die so. Start paying all your debts and pledges to avert the catastrophe. . Thank me later.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Ajibade123(m): 8:56am On Jun 13, 2019
See effective fleet management tips that guarantees you succee https://explicitsuccess.com/fleet-management-solutions/
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by WestGodspower(m): 9:14am On Jun 13, 2019
NaijaHooddrive:

A dream is a message to the dreamer, so only u know what it truly means. That being said, i don't see any bad thing in d dreams so i will interpret it my own way, first is that there's something you want to partake in, in your life right now, the bottom line is that don't listen to what people have to say because that situation isn't as it seems.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by amalab30(m): 9:36am On Jun 13, 2019
Keep hopes alive bruh. You're getting a car real soon.

Bet9jaVirtual:
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by oyeb15: 9:53am On Jun 13, 2019
using small tyres that are not meant to carry ur vehicle weight.
eg buying 165/60 tyre for benz instead of 195/65.(550kg)
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by AutoJoshNIG: 11:31am On Jun 13, 2019
aaronson:
You forgot the add drifting and bad Nigeria roads.

Falls Under Driving Habit
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by jceesquare(m): 2:24pm On Jun 13, 2019
recievesense:

emergency braking for cars without ABS brakes
The ABS kicks in at a certain speed, so it's not 100% applicable here.
Also, your tyres still suffer hard with or without ABS when you brake hard.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by Folorunsjo(m): 12:33pm On Jun 14, 2019
In addition to the above points,most tyres are directional tyres I.e direction of rotation. If you position your tyres wrongly, they Wear out faster than you could ever imaging. Many people don't know this.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by paix(m): 12:04pm On Jun 17, 2019
Bet9jaVirtual:
Don't curse yourself my brother, be proud of what you have. Somebody somewhere doesn't have THAT THING YOU CALL WHEELBARROW.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by recievesense: 7:23pm On Jun 17, 2019
jceesquare:

The ABS kicks in at a certain speed, so it's not 100% applicable here.
Also, your tyres still suffer hard with or without ABS when you brake hard.

Read my post again. FYI ABS reduces wear on tyres compared to manual brakes. You can easily get a tyre bald with manual brakes. ABS works at all speeds.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by jceesquare(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2019
recievesense:

Read my post again. FYI ABS reduces wear on tyres compared to manual brakes. You can easily get a tyre bald with manual brakes. ABS works at all speeds.
If you have a car that is equipped with ABS, drive on a slippery surface at 20km/h then slam on the brakes.
After you've done that, come back with your findings.
Re: The 10 Typical Causes Of Tyre Wear by recievesense: 5:43am On Jun 18, 2019
jceesquare:

If you have a car that is equipped with ABS, drive on a slippery surface at 20km/h then slam on the brakes.
After you've done that, come back with your findings.
dude i have a benz C300 and i drive on snow. i know what i am talking about

(1) (Reply)

Buying Or Getting ECU (brainbox)? Read This! / Custom Wahala For Every Car User :general Opinion Needed / When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.