Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,195 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants (2173 Views)

CAF Withdraws AFCON 2019 Hosting Rights From Cameroon / Seychelles Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2019 Qualifier - 0 - 3 (Full Time) / Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 4:37pm On Jun 14, 2019
In few days, Africa will witness the biggest AFCON ever. An expanded version of the AFCON kick starts in pharoahs home Egypt and 24 nations will compete to vie for that coveted trophy.

It is an honour to present to you my opinion of four teams who are real favourites and main contenders of the competition, four other teams who though many tout as favourites but I believe they can't win and four other teams that will be mere partakers.

Favourites: so I start with my four bets who will surely win the trophy and first on my list is the Pharoahs of Egypt. All factors at play make Egypt the team with the biggest chance of winning the ultimate. They are playing at home just as they did in 2006, they have the best player on the continent in the person of Mo Salah, they have a history of winning the AFCON, they have been the finals since 2006 whenever they participate, they know how to beat all the teams coming to compete and the factors are endless. Egypt definitely will be the team to beat.

Next for me is the Indomitable lions of Cameroon. The Cameroon is other team I believe could easily go all the way to lift this year's AFCON. They are the current champions of Africa, they have some of the best players on the continent currently especially in the area of goalkeeping and midfield even though Vincent Abubakar will be missing in action, they will be managed this term by two great adventurous former dutch international s, they have character for big competitions and more especially they are being underrated by many which will result as a confidence booster.

The Ivory Coast is my third pick. Truth is, the Ivory Coast is the most improved African team since 1992. Since 2006 they have always remained pretpurnament favourites and even though others feel the Elephants have underachieved I believe they have chalked an incredible record since 2006. They were in the grand finale in 2006, 2012 and won it in 2015. Three grand finals in six competitions therefore underrate such a team at your own peril. I think they have the most quality players coming into this AFCON even though many pundits point to Senegal. The like of Sylvian Gbohou, Serge Aurier, Baily, Serey Die, Frank Kesse , Seri, Nicholas Pepe, Jonathan Kodjia and Max Gradel will prove a mouthful for manhy AFCON participants.

My last favourites will be four time champions Ghana. I personally believe Ghana is the most talented African nation in football, check their world cup records. Like the Ivory Coast, they have qualified for every single AFCON since 2006 and have appeared at least at the semi finals stage since 2008. I believe Ghana ranks behind Egypt as the most successful AFCON team. Though many underrate this Ghana team, I believe the black stars will be one of the main contenders for this AFCON. They have many skillful players in their ranks including Jordan Ayew, Samuel Owusu, Christian Atsu, kwadwo Asamoah, Andre Ayew and the like. Ghana know how to play the Afcon, just been unlucky at times.
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 5:00pm On Jun 14, 2019
Pretenders

Some teams have been so rated by some connoisseurs of the game to win the AFCON but I can bet the teams below can never win this AFCON.

Senegal. The lions of Teranga obviously boast of some quality players I admit, of course guys like Chekou Kouyate, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Sadio Mane and the like would start for many African teams but unfortunately Senegal lacks character to win the AFCON. I think Senegal has had better squads in past Afcons like their team In 2012 which had Demba Ba, Mousa Sow, Mamadu Niang and the rest but were abysmal. Their performance in the ongoing under 20 world cup is another case in point, they just can't win a trophy. In fact, Senegal has never won a trophy, I stand to be corrected though. Rated best in Africa by the latest FIFA ranking, I tip the teranga lions to fail as usual.

Morocco: Morocco is the other pretender in my opinion. Morocco currently boasts of a very decent squad, relatively had a decent world cup and managed by the lucky Herve Reinhard but I believe they lack what it takes to win the trophy. Unlike Egypt, Morocco always struggles against sub Saharan African teams many of such the Atlas lions are bound to face. I rank Morocco just as Algeria, big team sheets which don't reflect on the pitch of play

Nigeria ; Many Nigerians have this false sense of football greatness to my amusement. Nigerians forget their team couldn't qualify for the 2015 and 2017 Afcons. Their current team unlike fellow pretenders Senegal lacks quality. The Eagles don't even have an average goalkeeper, and for the fact that a finished obi Mikel is still an integral part of the Nigerian team epitomises the quality of their team. They were lucky in 2013 because the big boys didn't come to the party and had two funny penalties in their last group game against Ethiopia without which they would have exited at the group stage. Nigeria has always bowed to Cameroon and Ghana in most AFCON victory and it will take a miracle for them to win this AFCON

Algeria: I simply don't know what is wrong Algeria. They have it all but simply can't get it right. I expect them to have their usual poor campaign in Egypt.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 5:01pm On Jun 14, 2019
Mere Participants: Tanzania, Benin, Madagascar and Kenya
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by achimotan(m): 5:14pm On Jun 14, 2019
When koraa are going to win this cup.

I have not gotten over the 2015 defeat.
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by BIGVAJINA(f): 5:21pm On Jun 14, 2019
achimotan:
When koraa are going to win this cup.

I have not gotten over the 2015 defeat.

This year is for Ghana
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by tbabs10166(m): 7:54pm On Jun 14, 2019
those assertions are wrong bro. You're rating these teams based on performances in previous tournament. I cant imagine rating the present ghana and cote'd voire ahead of nigeria, the same team that couldn't qualify for the world cup last year. Ivory coast used to be regarded as favourites when they had the best set of african players like yaya toure, drogba, gervinho, wilfried bony e.t.c. same goes with ghana because of their great team work. The present ghana and ivorian team are no where near the favourite. Senegal have proven to be favourites judging by their recent performance at the worldcup and during the qualifier, I'll rate them ahead of cameroun. Egypt will be favourite to win this tournament i guess no one will dispute that. Senegal is second on my list, followed by nigeria and then Cameroon
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 8:14pm On Jun 14, 2019
tbabs10166:
those assertions are wrong bro. You're rating these teams based on performances in previous tournament. I cant imagine rating the present ghana and cote'd voire ahead of nigeria, the same team that couldn't qualify for the world cup last year. Ivory coast used to be regarded as favourites when they had the best set of african players like yaya toure, drogba, gervinho, wilfried bony e.t.c. same goes with ghana because of their great team work. The present ghana and ivorian team are no where near the favourite. Senegal have proven to be favourites judging by their recent performance at the worldcup and during the qualifier, I'll rate them ahead of cameroun. Egypt will be favourite to win this tournament i guess no one will dispute that. Senegal is second on my list, followed by nigeria and then Cameroon

Seems like he's a Ghanaian so what do you expect from him
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 8:24pm On Jun 14, 2019
tbabs10166:

Your opinion bro, just as mine and I do respect your opinion, though I disagree with you, Nigeria qualified for the world cup by luck...the faced a perennial wack Algerian team and a disorganized Cameroon side, no wonder they were abysmal at the world cup, both Ivory coast and Ghana are better than Nigeria bro
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 8:26pm On Jun 14, 2019
Olulong:

Seems like he's a Ghanaian so what do you expect from him

Where did u read nationality in my post? And is it a crime to be Ghanaian?
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 8:34pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

Where did u read nationality in my post? And is it a crime to be Ghanaian?

Your post says it all.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 8:38pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

Your opinion bro, just as mine and I do respect your opinion, though I disagree with you, Nigeria qualified for the world cup by luck...the faced a perennial wack Algerian team and a disorganized Cameroon side, no wonder they were abysmal at the world cup, both Ivory coast and Ghana are better than Nigeria bro

With Caleb Ekuban, misfiring Ayew brothers and finished Gyan. I laugh in Korea
Last time I checked the same disorganized Cameroon team knocked you out of the last AFCON and guessed what we trashed them 4-0.
You definitely have not made a point
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 8:39pm On Jun 14, 2019
Olulong:

Your post says it all.

Which post? Obviously u have problems with Ghana
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
Olulong:

With Caleb Ekuban, misfiring Ayew brothers and finished Gyan. I laugh in Korea
Last time I checked the same disorganized Cameroon team knocked you out of the last AFCON and guessed what we trashed them 4-0.
You definitely have not made a point

Same AFCON nigeria couldn't qualify for?

Lol and u are are referring to a past 4-0 victory ? Ghana beat Egypt 6-1 in 2013, Ghana beat Cameroon 3-1 in Yaonde in 1999 Ghana beat Nigeria 4-1 in 2007 so what are you talking about?

Pray Nigeria doesn't cross Ghana's path this AFCON

Same ayews , Ekuban, Partey, kwadwo, Gyan Atsu and the like will show u pepper
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 8:54pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

Same AFCON nigeria couldn't qualify for?

Lol and u are are referring to a past 4-0 victory ? Ghana beat Egypt 6-1 in 2013, Ghana beat Cameroon 3-1 in Yaonde in 1999 Ghana beat Nigeria 4-1 in 2007 so what are you talking about?

Pray Nigeria doesn't cross Ghana's path this AFCON

Same ayews , Ekuban, Partey, kwadwo, Gyan Atsu and the like will show u pepper

I only mentioned d win against Cameroon because you were trying to downplay D fact Nigeria qualified from the toughest world cup qualifying group but your world class black stars couldn't qualify from a group having DR Congo and Uganda

And I will gladly want to see my Super Eagles teach u guys a lesson
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 8:58pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

Which post? Obviously u have problems with Ghana

So much flaws and sentiment. I don't even know where to start from. I didn't have to check ur Moniker to know a Ghanaian wrote dat post
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Ndubest123(m): 9:01pm On Jun 14, 2019
Looking for public opinion in few days time we will know who is who. Any other team may win but definitely not Ghana. You won your last nations cup 1982 you came here to write trash as usual. Who will score goals for Ghana or you think jam body football will give you the cup. I want to see you guys cry again like Dede Ayew did in 2015.
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2019
Olulong:

I only mentioned d win against Cameroon because you were trying to downplay D fact Nigeria qualified from the toughest world cup qualifying group but your world class black stars couldn't qualify from a group having DR Congo and Uganda

And I will gladly want to see my Super Eagles teach u guys a lesson

I am glad you ridiculous ly ommitted Egypt who were in Ghana's world cup qualification group

Did u say Nigeria Will teach Ghana a lesson?

I know you are joking
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 9:10pm On Jun 14, 2019
Ndubest123:
Looking for public opinion in few days time we will know who is who. Any other team may win but definitely not Ghana. You won your last nations cup 1982 you came here to write trash as usual. Who will score goals for Ghana or you think jam body football will give you the cup. I want to see you guys cry again like Dede Ayew did in 2015.

Better to lose in the grand final than not to qualify at all

By the way, since 82 but Ghana has got more AFCON trophies than nigeria
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by BravoDe: 9:19pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

Better to lose in the grand final than not to qualify at all

By the way, since 82 but Ghana has got more AFCON trophies than nigeria
Have**
Ghanaians and wack English, not surprised tho.

Yoh dwelling on past glory, last time I checked, none of ur players are in top clubs, and the few there have little or no impact.
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 9:26pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

I am glad you ridiculous ly ommitted Egypt who were in Ghana's world cup qualification group

Did u say Nigeria Will teach Ghana a lesson?

I know you are joking

But u really should be ashamed by finishing behind Egypt in a world cup qualifying group. if it was AFCON I wouldn't be bothered but chalie na world cup and we know Egypt poor world cup record so justifying finishing behind Egypt in a World cup qualifier is also ridiculous
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 9:33pm On Jun 14, 2019
Olulong:

But u really should be ashamed by finishing behind Egypt in a world cup qualifying group. if it was AFCON I wouldn't be bothered but chalie na world cup and we know Egypt poor world cup record so justifying finishing behind Egypt in a World cup qualifier is also ridiculous

In 2005 Nigeria finished behind Angola in the 2006 world cup qualifiers
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 9:36pm On Jun 14, 2019
BravoDe:

Have**

Yoh dwelling on past glory, last time I checked, none of ur players are in top clubs, and the few there have little or no impact.

Check your grammar, Ghana could be used in a singular and could perfectly take has,

And which big clubs do Nigerian s play for?

Don't let me laugh

Ghana has players with Athletico Madrid, Barcelona , Inter Milan if u didn't know

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by BravoDe: 9:39pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

Check your grammar, Ghana could be used in a singular and could perfectly take has,

And which big clubs do Nigerian s play for?

Don't let me laugh

Ghana has players with Athletico Madrid, Barcelona , Inter Milan if u didn't know

But they have no impact in those club you mentioned, probably a squad player.
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by wizzzmike: 9:43pm On Jun 14, 2019
BravoDe:

Have**

lol dude ur funny Ghanaian wack English wow that coming from a Nigerian mouth and football has changed alot any team can surprise anytime.

Ghanaian players are top clubs all over Europe than Nigerians right now

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by bingbagbo(m): 9:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
BravoDe:

I am sorry but its obvious you don't watch football
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by BravoDe: 9:49pm On Jun 14, 2019
wizzzmike:

lol dude ur funny Ghanaian wack English wow that coming from a Nigerian mouth and football has changed alot any team can surprise anytime.

Ghanaian players are top clubs all over Europe than Nigerians right now
U just prove me right, Ghanaian English is truly wack.
BTW don't mention me until u learn how to use the punctuation marks.
Which one is GHANAIAN PLAYERS ARE TOP CLUBS, when did Ghana player turn to club?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by wizzzmike: 9:55pm On Jun 14, 2019
Ndubest123:

lol you dey envy Ghana. Nigeria has qualified to the world cup six times never been to the quarter final Ghana just three times but been to the quarter final dude don't put yourself in the mud when it comes to football

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by BravoDe: 9:58pm On Jun 14, 2019
bingbagbo:

I am sorry but its obvious you don't watch football
Take the pity cos it's obvious u know nothing about journalism, a good writer won't write the shit u wrote above, ur writing prowess is poor.
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by wizzzmike: 10:02pm On Jun 14, 2019
BravoDe:

U just prove me right, Ghanaian English is truly wack.
BTW don't mention me until u learn how to use the punctuation marks.
Which one is GHANAIAN PLAYERS ARE TOP CLUBS, when did Ghana player turn to club?

lol Nigerian English is queen English smh stop embarrassing yourself lol.....

athletico Madrid
Chelsea
inter Milan
Newcastle
Barcelona

can name top clubs ur players play

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 10:41pm On Jun 14, 2019
BravoDe:

Last time I checked the player in Barcelona no longer plays for the national team.

And I attested to the fact that Party and Asamoah are the only top players in Ghana
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Olulong(m): 10:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
wizzzmike:

lol Nigerian English is queen English smh stop embarrassing yourself lol.....
athletico Madrid Chelsea inter Milan Newcastle Barcelona
can name top clubs ur players play
Arsenal
Leciester
Girondins de Boardeax
Chelsea
Benfica
Re: AFCON 2019: Favourites,pretenders And Mere Participants by Problemkid1: 11:01pm On Jun 14, 2019
Olulong:

Arsenal

Leciester

Girondins de Boardeax

Chelsea

Benfica
Manchester city, CSKA Moscow, Watford, Inter millan, Brighton.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeriaria Vs Zambia: 6 Super Eagles' Players Land In Uyo [see NAMES / Don't U Think Gallas Is A Camerounian! / Photo: Paul Pogba Dabs With The President Of Juventus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.