Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores (1310 Views)

Akwa Ibom Court Orders Man’s Arrest Over Refusal To Care For Children / My Landlord Does House Chores For His Children, Fetches Water For Them / American Mum Pays Her Kids Salary For Doing House Chores (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by massmediang: 9:25pm On Jun 20, 2019
An Argentinean local court ordered a 70-year-old man to pay his ex-wife 8 million pesos ($173,000, about N62,280,000)) as compensation for 27 years of house work.

Judge Victoria Famá made the landmark ruling after taking into consideration that the elderly couple’s roles had been well-determined during their 30-year marriage, with the woman, identified only as M.L., taking care of the household, while the husband went to work. Despite holding a degree in economics, the woman put aside her professional career to raise her children and take care of the house. By the time M.L.’s husband left her, she was already 60-years-old, too old to even be considered on the job market.
“After 27 years of marriage the accused abandoned his wife when she turned 60 years old, the age at which women obtain retirement benefits, being excluded from the labour market,” Judge Famá’s ruling stated. “The economic dependence of wives on their husbands is one of the central mechanisms through which women are subordinated in society.”

The Argentinian couple separated in 2009, and divorced two years later. Since then, the woman has experienced financial difficulties due to her inability to find a job and receiving meager retirement benefits, while her husband reportedly “lived a good life”.
See details;
https://wakkinews.com/2019/06/20/court-orders-man-to-pay-ex-wife-n62-million-for-27-years-of-house-chores/

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by faithfull18(f): 9:38pm On Jun 20, 2019
Wow.
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by Jmk9292(m): 9:59pm On Jun 20, 2019
Interesting...... Feminists over to you..
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by reyscrub(m): 10:08pm On Jun 20, 2019
I know that all the ladies will vote for this judgement to be used in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by lilmax(m): 10:14pm On Jun 20, 2019
well this is crap

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by Sonia2002(f): 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2019
More of this typpa news

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by desvi: 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2019
I love my job very very much smiley
that's all I have to say

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by bunmconig(m): 10:32pm On Jun 20, 2019
shooooooo! wetin na?? as if the man no dey give the woman any money before. una com help the woman add up all her salaries together com top it with gratuity. Una Weldon o.
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by LordKO(m): 10:50pm On Jun 20, 2019
Good judgement, even though it's a mere compensation. He's a thoughtless man, so he deserves severe punishment also.

13 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by Daeylar(f): 10:55pm On Jun 20, 2019
Love this kiss kiss kiss kiss.

He needs to pay her more.
In fact everything he has in this world needs to be divided in half and she given half of it.

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by bukatyne(f): 11:59pm On Jun 20, 2019
LordKO:
Good judgement, even though it's a mere compensation. He's a thoughtless man, so he deserves severe punishment also.

I agree.

Spouses like this make others not to invest their all in the marriage.

5 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by doitforyou(f): 12:18am On Jun 21, 2019
The money is too small.

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by elektra(f): 12:57am On Jun 21, 2019
Good call.
It’s a pity women in Nigeria do not have the courts to count on in instances such as this.
That is why being a stay at home mom is risky AF. Sometimes it costs more to send kids to crèche/kindergarten while mom works but I will still pick that over having no career.

3 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by KanwuliaExtra: 3:18am On Jun 21, 2019
I don’t understand this kind of settlement o.

Let me go and read it pro-pro-my fOrst. grin
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by KanwuliaExtra: 3:32am On Jun 21, 2019
If the old man also worked outside the home. . . . WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO PAY? undecided

What do they mean by the man “lived a good life”? undecided

Ok. . . Here goes:

1. The man worked outside the home.
2. The woman worked inside the home.
3. The marriage ended after 27 years.

Any joint assets acquired during the marriage, including all savings, benefits should be split evenly between the couple.

However, men as tangible income-earners have the tendency to hide physical and financial assets from their “housewives” when they plan to jump “matrimonial bail”. cheesy

Some men open businesses, invest in real estate and keep all gains to themselves, while the home-makers/housewives are left with nothing. Like it is easy to work SOLELY at home raising kids and keeping a home? shocked I for one CANNOT do that. I must work in and out of the home. Shikena!

If there is PROOF that this man has all the financial security because he was able to work outside the home and invest or save a handsome retirement package while his wife kept the home. . . . . Then the judge is RIGHT! kiss

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by alex81(m): 12:09pm On Jun 21, 2019
faithfull18:
Wow.
lol. what are you thinking undecided
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by Fountainofyouth(f): 8:31pm On Jun 21, 2019
Very good judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by Contumely: 11:30pm On Jun 21, 2019
KanwuliaExtra:
If the old man also worked outside the home. . . . WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO PAY? undecided

What do they mean by the man “lived a good life”? undecided

Ok. . . Here goes:

1. The man worked outside the home.
2. The woman worked inside the home.
3. The marriage ended after 27 years.

Any joint assets acquired during the marriage, including all savings, benefits should be split evenly between the couple.

However, men as tangible income-earners have the tendency to hide physical and financial assets from their “housewives” when they plan to jump “matrimonial bail”. cheesy

Some men open businesses, invest in real estate and keep all gains to themselves, while the home-makers/housewives are left with nothing. Like it is easy to work SOLELY at home raising kids and keeping a home? shocked I for one CANNOT do that. I must work in and out of the home. Shikena!

If there is PROOF that this man has all the financial security because he was able to work outside the home and invest or save a handsome retirement package while his wife kept the home. . . . . Then the judge is RIGHT! kiss

Ended up saying utter rubbish.

The judgement is a good one and should be commended.

What do you know about Matrimonial causes Act and Marriage Act?
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by BlackfireX: 4:38pm On Jun 22, 2019
That court and the judge are crazy...
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by Esji80(m): 10:06am On Jun 23, 2019
faithfull18:
Wow.
pls check your what'S app

Abt d training

Thanks
Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by ifyalways(f): 10:13am On Jun 23, 2019
KanwuliaExtra:
I don’t understand this kind of settlement o.

Let me go and read it pro-pro-my fOrst. grin

HahahahA

Na the kain Settlement Aisha dey get or go get cheesy from baba 90 sooner or later cheesy

1 Like

Re: Court Orders Man To Pay Ex-wife N62 Million For 27 Years Of House Chores by cococandy(f): 10:51am On Jun 23, 2019
Only a Dangote level of man can pay me what I’m worth if I decide to put my career on hold for 3 decades in order to “raise the children and tend to the home”. Not when his hands are not broken and he can equally join in raising the kids and tending to the home. Lord have mercy.

I respect (bordering on fear) women who chose this option knowing full well that when or if things go south, stories will start flying and you getting your fair compensation will be dependent on the judge and the level of progress your society has made. especially in countries where the judges order 10,000 Naira ($30) monthly upkeep for 2 children grin.

I think I’ll just respect myself and just keep working.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Locate A Good Online Marriage Councellor / How Do You Feel After Havin Unprotected Sex With Another Person / Please I Urgently Need Your Opinion Guys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.