Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Her Last Breath - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Her Last Breath (8597 Views)

What Is The Colour Of The Air You Breath ? / I Can't Breath By Olaonipekun Sr 111 / Her Last Breath/love By Fate (synopses) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 3:09pm On Nov 26, 2019
Thanks ma'am

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 5:35pm On Nov 26, 2019
Ann2012:
Thanks ma'am

You're welcome, sis.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 5:36pm On Nov 26, 2019
jenifer007:
Interesting update....thank you

You're welcome!
Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 6:53pm On Nov 26, 2019
Thanks for the update sister.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 11:02am On Nov 27, 2019
daddio:
Thanks for the update sister.

You're welcome!

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 3:19pm On Dec 12, 2019
Her Last Breath (Episode Eighteen)
Taofeek

The aroma of fried meat and jollof rice whiffed the air and the compound brimmed with people, dressed in kaftan, lace, and Ankara. Their faces were radiant as they chatted cheerfully, laughed loudly and devoured their plates of food.

Lukman, my elder brother, was celebrating the aqiqoh of his newly born daughter, Sumayyah, and he had called his family members and friends to grace the event and celebrate with him.

I gazed at him from where I was seated, watching as he walked around with energetic moves, supervising all activities and ensuring everything went on smoothly. I could see the look of pride in his eyes as he greeted his guests and strode around the compound. I was jealous. I wished I had a healthy wife. I wished I had children. AstaghfirLlaah! But…really…something had gone wrong. I was starting to become ungrateful for the blessings in my life- like Khayrah.

“Aren’t you eating?” Khayrah nudged me as she stared at my half-eaten plate of food and trailed my eyes suspiciously.

“No appetite,” I replied brusquely, wincing as my phone buzzed in my pocket.

It would definitely be from Rekiya, the lady that had distracted me from Khayrah. I wished that she hadn’t stumbled upon my Facebook account and sent me a friend request. I wished that I hadn’t accepted and went through her pictures. I wished that I hadn’t replied to her ‘hi’, which sprouted into longer conversations and an exchange of numbers.

Reuniting with an old lover from the past had reignited my uncontrolled feelings and desire for women. I thought it would be easy…I thought falling in love would change it all.

“Taofeek, are you okay? You’ve been acting strangely for the past two weeks. What is wrong with you?” Khayrah yelled angrily as she glowered at me.

She lowered her eyes as she noticed that she had spoken quite loudly and several pairs of eyes were staring at us.

“I’m sorry, love. It’s work and all. Give me a sec. I’ll return shortly.” I smiled at her as I stood up hurriedly and walked towards Lukman’s apartment.

This time, my phone was ringing. I hastened into the living room, marched past groups of people that would want to greet me and entered the bathroom. With a deep sigh, I clicked on the answer button. “Rekiya, what is it?”

“Coming from someone who is missing me. How’s your day going?”

“Couldn’t be worse.” I frowned, wishing that I could appear at home and escape from the party.

“Haha! It’s your brother’s naming ceremony and you’re saying this? What has become of you, Taofeek? Is this what marriage does to a man?”

“It’s not about marriage, Rekiya. Where are you?”

“The room where I lodged. I’ll be leaving Lagos next tomorrow. So, you have only tomorrow to see the damsel you’re truly in love with. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to miss out on a chance with me.” Rekiya said in her usual tiny-sexy voice that would make a man say ‘yes’ instead of a ‘no.’

Memories flashed to my mind. Pictures of Rekiya as she explained a point with her white set of teeth glittering from beneath. Her wide and bright eyes that you could spend the whole day staring at. Her ‘yellow paw paw’ smooth and glowing skin that was tempting to touch. Her figure-8 shape and the way her butts moved in even motions whenever she walked…

“Taofeek? Are you there? Well, we’re meeting tomorrow. At six-thirty in the evening. We’re spending the night together at my hotel. You better find a convincing story to tell your wife.”

“Please, Rekiya. Do not call me again. Send me a message and I’ll reply when I see it. Do not put me in trouble.”

“I hear you. See you tomorrow!” Rekiya sang as she hung up the call.

I heaved a sigh of relief as I pulled the phone away from my ear and opened the bathroom door. I shrieked in shock when I saw Lukman standing in front of the door. “SubhanaLlaah! What are you doing here?” I exclaimed as I glared at him.

“What are you doing here?” he folded his hands across his chest and gave me a suspicious look.

Lukman was putting on a white gini and red cap, but the kaftan already had streaks of oil and dirt stains on it. I could understand because he had been supervising all activities- ranging from the food, barbeque and drinks section.

“In the bathroom? It’s…obvious I came to…urinate.” I stuttered as I avoided his eyes.

“We both know what you came here for.”

“I... don’t know…what you’re talking about.” I said in between breaths as I lowered my head.

“Can we go to my room? I need to talk to you.” He said as he started to walk without waiting for my approval. I tailed him as we entered the room and settled on the bed.

Lukman stared at me thoughtfully and cleared his throat. “I want to tell you a story. Two years ago, I met this Muslimah in the bank. I had forgotten to take a pen along with me, so, I requested a pen from the person closest to me. It was a pretty lady who I would later refer to as Ameenah. As I turned sideways to ask for a pen, I locked eyes with her and believe me, Taofeek, I didn’t know what was going on around me. I had forgotten that we were in the bank and I had gone there to deposit some amount of money. I couldn’t lower my gaze. I stared at her lustfully and wondered how such a pretty person could be human like me. Her smile was so radiant it could melt the highest of mountains. My hands trembled in pleasure as I tried to remember my signature and append it on the form. I accompanied her to her car like a dog following its master. I requested for her name and number. And that was how it all started. I would be with my wife but my thoughts would wander to Ameenah, the pretty lady who had the perfect shape I wanted in a woman- the way my wife had looked before she got married and had her first child. Ameenah and I would meet up after closing from work and we would sit in a restaurant and talk till late at night. We both liked each other so much. However, we were both married. Ameenah claimed that she no longer loved her husband and she wished that she could divorce him…but she wouldn’t, because of her child. I also started to bear the thought that I might fall out of love with my wife. We both knew that we couldn’t leave our marriages but we both yearned for each other. So, one day, we had stayed at our usual restaurant till very late at night and…we just couldn’t stand up to leave. We locked eyes and craved each other. We knew what we both wanted. But then, something struck me. The fact that ALlaah was seeing us. The fact that I was committing haram. Then I imagined what would happen if I fall into temptation. We would drive to the nearest hotel and I would peel her clothing from her body, commit the grave act and regret for the rest of my life. I would live the rest of my life wallowing in regret. I would be ashamed to talk to my Creator and seek forgiveness. I would know that I had betrayed my wife and child’s trust. So, I stood up and walked away. I blocked her number and vowed never to talk to her again.” Lukman said as he faced the ceiling with teary eyes.

The room fell silent as we both reflected on the story without saying a word. Guilt crept up my face as I imagined what I was about doing; performing an act that was worth getting stoned for. Betraying the trust of the woman I love with all of my heart- Khayrah. Committing a grievous sin and disobeying my Lord despite promising to shun such acts.

“Why did you decide to share this story?” I asked, turning towards Lukman with moistened eyes.

“You know why, Taofeek. You know why.”
The thing about cheating…or attempting to cheat is that you’ll always have this fear that you might get caught. And I’d been living with that fear for the past two weeks. I would delete messages and my call history from my phone. Then, re-check over a million times to be certain that I hadn’t left anything suspicious by mistake. You’d study your wife to be assured that her face holds no trace of suspicion.

“I don’t feel too fine…not the other stuff. It’s a strange feeling and I can’t explain it.” Khayrah was saying as we were returning home from the mosque.

She clamped her left hand in mine and rested her head on my chest as we were walking down the path.

“What could be wrong? Should we visit the hospital tomorrow? Have you been taking your drugs?”

“I’ll hold on to see if this condition persists. But darling, I can’t believe you’re asking if I’ve been taking my drugs. You don’t act as caring as before. Or is this what happens when we stay longer as a couple? Oh! Maybe the estate women were right. None of them had a positive remark about staying in love after several years. But at least, we should wait till we clock one year, right?” Khayrah stared at me in the dark and guilt stole over my face.

“I’m so sorry. It’s work. I’ve been so busy. Let’s make out time this weekend to spend in a different place so that we can reignite our sparks of love?”

“Sounds like a brilliant idea!” Khayrah said brightly as she held me tighter.

As we stepped into the house, I pulled Khayrah closer to me and hugged her tightly…so tight that I could hear her gasp for breath. We stood there for minutes, in each other’s arms, as I whispered ‘I love you’ over and over again.

Khayrah was one of the best things that had happened to me and I couldn’t imagine that I wanted to risk my moments with her because of a one-night stand. I hadn’t done it but I felt ashamed for even considering betraying Khayrah’s trust.

When I pulled away, she sat on the sofa and took heavy breaths, staring at me suspiciously. “Woah! You haven’t done that in ages. My real husband just returned. I think I’m the happiest person right now. What really happened to us?”

“I really don’t know…but we shouldn’t let that happen again. Let’s go out for dinner and steal kisses in the dark.” I grinned at Khayrah and she gave me a knowing smile.

“I’ll change to my red gown. Be right back!” she said, running into the room.

It was just then that my phone buzzed in my pocket. I confirmed that Khayrah was out of sight before taking out my phone.

Hey love. Ready for tomorrow? I’m going to put on the sexiest gown that will pop your eyes out of its sockets. Just wait for it!
- Rekiya.

Hello, Rekiya. There’s a change of plan. I don’t want to see you and I don’t want to have anything to do with you…ever! Kindly delete my number and pretend that you’ve forgotten Taofeek Adewale. We’re not seeing and nothing is happening between us. I’m happily married and I won’t risk my marriage and deen for the sake of zina.
- Taofeek.

Okay…okay. But how about getting married to me? At least, that’s not zina?
- Rekiya.

AudhubiLlaah! I would never consider getting married to a lady who sees no crime in sleeping with someone else’s husband. Why don’t you revisit the Qur’an and hadith and repent from your wrongdoings?
- Taofeek.

Really? Now you’ve turned to an over-night Ustadh? You know what? Get off my phone. I’ve got other men on their knees, pleading that I love them. And you’re here saying thrash. Get away jare!
- Rekiya.

I smiled in satisfaction as I deleted all of our conversations and headed towards the room to meet Khayrah.

“It’s so bad I couldn’t give my wife money this morning for her hospital bill,” I said bitterly as I mixed a part of the boiled rice with stew and dipped a spoon into my mouth.

Daniel and I were in a restaurant and I was revealing my problem to him- my alarming financial status and how it was taking a toll on my emotional wellbeing.

“Her papa be big man. Why don’t you just call him and ask for help? I’m sure he wouldn’t spill the information to your wife,” Daniel said as he gulped a cup of water, watching me with sympathetic eyes.

“He calls very often. He even called this morning, asking if there is anything he could help us with.”

Daniel gave me an incredulous look. “And what did you say?”

“That we are fine.”

“Your own too much nah! I understand you want to act as the man of the house and provide for your family…but let’s face it. You are broke and if care is not taken, Khayrah would start to suspect. She would confide in her mother. Her mother would tell her father and your case will become a family matter. You should contact her father privately and ask for help.”

“But he has done enough…or hasn’t he? He bought a car and a house for us. It feels awkward to start asking for money again. It’s a shame because he had previously offered me a job in his company but I declined.”

Daniel rubbed his forehead with his palm. “What will you do now?”

“I’ll ask my brother. I hope he has a surplus to help me with. He just celebrated his daughter’s aqiqoh and he spent a lot of money. Fortunately, the month is ending next week and we’ll receive our salary.”

“True talk bro…true talk…” Daniel was saying when I cut him.

“Wait…today’s 20th right?”

“Yes. Why do you ask?”

“Oh my gosh! We’re six months today!”

“You and Khayrah?”

“Yes. And I’m sure she’s forgotten. I’ll surprise her.” I stated, imagining ways to surprise Khayrah.

“Daniel, you sef do quick marry. This man is making you feel jealous.” Daniel remarked as he laughed loudly.
I had gotten the perfect plan! I would make a surprise dinner for Khayrah and read her poems I had composed a few months ago. That was the cheapest way to celebrate our anniversary, courtesy of my financial situation.

I was just driving into our street when a call from Khayrah came in. She had spent the day visiting the hospital and seeing Janet, her new friend, for lunch. And we hadn’t spoken since I left for work in the morning.

“Asalamu ‘alaykum my pretty, sweet, loving princess…”

“Wa’alaykumu salam, darling. Where are you?”

“Just heading home. You?”

“Well, I’m still at Lekki. I have a massive surprise for you.”

“Gosh! I’m impatient! What is it?”

“Should it wait till I get home?” Khayrah asked as she laughed teasingly.

“Oh gosh! You’ve started again. You know my heart races when I hear the word ‘surprise’. What is this massive surprise? Please tell me, love.”

“Okay.” She cleared her throat and laughed again. “I am…”

“You are what?”

“I am pregnant! Three weeks pregnant, darling. The doctor confirmed it this afternoon.” She yelled in excitement.

“AlhamduliLlaah! AlhamduliLlah! I am speechless! Oh gosh! I love you! I love you more than you can ever imagine, Khayrah. You are my world, Khayrah.”

Khayrah vibrant laughter made me smile and cry at the same time. Tears moistened my face as I reversed and returned to the road. “Send your current address. I’m coming to pick you up.”
“But I’m at Lekki. I’ll just order an uber…”

“I’m taking you and my child home in my car. I cannot risk anything happening to you. Send the address now.”

“Okay, husband. I’m sending it right away.” Khayrah laughed as she ended the call.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Last Breath by jenifer007: 6:01pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nice update

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 7:19am On Dec 13, 2019
Thank God Taofeek didn't fall for Rekiya's antics

Thanks for the update ma'am

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:40am On Dec 13, 2019
jenifer007:
Nice update

Thank you!
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:40am On Dec 13, 2019
Ann2012:

You're welcome, sis!
Re: Her Last Breath by Paskid01(m): 11:46am On Dec 14, 2019
Ann2012:

Hi anna ...This is a close friend. I sent an email with another account, please reply as soon as possible

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2019
Paskid01:
Hi anna ...This is a close friend. I sent an email with another account, please reply as soon as possible

Done
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:36pm On Jan 13, 2020
Episode Nineteen
Khayrah

“You are still as beautiful as ever. Stunning, adorable…”

“E don do! You’ve started all these again? Well, Taofeek tells me that every day, so, I don’t get flattered.” I said as I tried to hide the smile that passed across my face.

“Aha! But you just blushed. Admit it, Khayrah. You love to hear these words.” Tijanni remarked as a flicker of amusement passed over his face.

“You’re gone now…and I’m really scared. Sometimes, I appear like I’m not but the thought of death frightens me. What if it comes now?”

“What’s the use of being frightened? You know you’re going to die. We all know we’re going to die. Then, why don’t we spend the rest of our days memorable?”

“You can be smart when you want to, Tijanni.” I muttered, staring at him with thoughtful eyes.

Tijanni cackled and with a swoosh, he disappeared into the light.

My eyes blinked steadily as I tried to reach out to him. With a piercing scream, I opened my eyes to find myself on the bed, drooling saliva from the side of my mouth. As I turned sideways, I caught sight of Taofeek staring at me with a creased forehead as he sat beside the bed and sipped from a mug of tea.

“What’s up with you and nightmares? Is this one of the effects of pregnancy?” he asked with an anxious look on his face.

I sighed deeply as I sat upright and stretched my body. “I don’t think so. It’s just this recurrent dream I keep having.”

“What’s it about?” Taofeek inquired as he walked up to where I sat and felt my palm. “Are you having Malaria?”

“Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. It’s nothing.” I muttered between breaths as I stood up and stared out of the window with strained eyes. I swiveled towards Taofeek to notice that he was dressed in a white shirt, black tie and a pair of trousers. Gosh! I had slept until dawn.

“Don’t tell me it’s past seven!” I yelled in disbelief as I reached for my phone. It was worse. 7:30 am on the dot!

Taofeek snickered. “My pregnant wife is acting cray cray!”

“I’m not acting crazy. Don’t you dare say that!” I bellowed at Taofeek as he continued to laugh.

As I sauntered towards the bathroom to perform ablution and perform salatul subh, I caught sight of myself in the mirror.

My eyes widened in shock as I noticed my fat face and swollen lips. I looked completely different from my real self.

“What happened?” Taofeek stopped laughing and stood beside me in front of the mirror.

“My face. My shape. It’s an eyesore. I look horrible. Darling, have you been lying about this pregnancy glow thingy?” I glared at him and noticed that he cleared his throat.

“I’m not. You are glowing, love. Take another look at yourself. You look amazing.” He said as he held me by the waist and kissed my neck.

“Okay…I’m beautiful. I believe you. Can I go and perform ablution?”

Taofeek released me from his grip and placed a kiss on my forehead. “Okay, my love. I’ll be waiting for you in the living room.”

As I entered the bathroom and filled the kettle with water, I couldn’t stop thinking about the dream I had experienced.

Tijanni again? When would I stop dreaming about him?!

Since Tijanni passed away, there was hardly a night that he didn’t appear in my dream. I had prayed about it…then it stopped…and continued months later. I hadn’t told Taofeek about the dream because I was scared that he would get jealous. My mind flashed to the sight of Tijanni’s corpse as I washed my face. Tears streaked down my face as I remembered all that had happened a few months ago. I washed the tears with water and proceeded to wash my arms.

Twenty minutes later, I was in the kitchen, making a quick breakfast for Taofeek. I searched through the cupboard but it was obvious that we had run out of foodstuff. I settled for the almost-empty pack of oatmeal from the shelf and placed a pot of water on the gas. Taofeek came in that minute, avoiding my eyes as he rinsed his cup.

“For the hundredth time, I need to go to the market to buy foodstuff. The kitchen is practically empty!”

Taofeek placed the cup on the tray and cleared his throat. “We’ll go to the market this weekend. Settled?”

“Why can’t I go alone today? I’ll be home all day, literally doing nothing. Are you broke?”

“Broke? Why would I be broke? See Khayrah, I’m late for work. There’s no time to wait for breakfast. See you in the evening. Love you.” He said, placing a kiss on my left cheek.

“Love you too,” I replied, watching as he walked out of the kitchen with a frown. And certain that Taofeek was hiding his financial situation from me.
How to fall in love with your child. How to love children. How to develop love for children even if you don’t love them. How to be a good mother. How to make your child love you…

I had been searching on Google for the past two hours with a plate of Cabin biscuits beside me and a glass of juice. My eyes were strained and I was exhausted.

The articles I read were all saying the same thing. I just wanted one answer. How to develop that love!

I remembered when I first held Taofeek’s twins in my arms. Beautiful children, they were…but I still get frightened whenever they visited. I still wonder how I would get to fall in love with my child.

To drift my thoughts away from my children and how to love them, I put on the TV and tuned in to Netflix. I was about to select a movie to watch when a call came in. It was Janet, the new friend I had made in the cancer support group.

“Hey, Khayrah! How you dey nah?” Janet said at the other end of the call in an excited tone.

The way she pronounced my name as Kiara often made me wince. “I just dey here oo. Husband is at work and I’m all alone at home, thinking of binge-watching a Netflix series.”

“Let me visit you nah. I’ve missed you small,” Janet replied.

I beamed in excitement. “Be coming, jare!

“One condition. You must prepare okro soup and semovita. Remember I’ll be driving down from the island?”

“I’m sorry, Janet. That won’t be possible. My kitchen is empty oo! Please buy two plates of rice and chicken from Tastee.”

“Are you high? I should come to una mainland and still buy food?”

“Be nice for once nah…ah, it seems my husband is calling. I’ll be expecting you and the food. Bye!” I said as I hung up and picked Taofeek’s call.

“Who were you talking to?”

“Janet. She wants to pay me a visit.”

“At least, someone will keep you company till I return.”

“Yeah,” I replied blankly, sipping from my cup of juice.

“Khayrah, I’m sorry about what happened this morning. I promise to make it up to you.”

“Okay. Get on with your work before your boss barges into your office.”

“Are you indirectly telling me to hang up, huh?” Taofeek laughed teasingly.

“Bye bye, Mr. Accountant.” I said as I hung up the call.

Janet appeared by the door one hour thirty minutes later, with two Tastee-branded bags. I pulled her into a big hug as I welcomed her home.

“I’ve missed you so much, Janet. This house can be boring.”

“Haha. What about those estate meetings of yours where you gossip and talk about your husbands?” Janet smirked as she pulled her hat and wig away, revealing her permed low-cut.

She was a tall and slender lady with bright eyes and fair skin. I’d been astounded by her beauty the first day she approached me in the cancer support programme. Janet was putting on a red gown and a brown hat. She settled on the couch and picked a biscuit from the ceramic plate.

“Well, I decided to stop attending their meetings. It wasn’t productive at all. We’ll spend the whole day talking about how men are not to be trusted…then the women would start to quarrel amongst themselves. Some of them would visit me just to spoil the name of another woman in the estate.” I said, opening a plate of rice and dipping a spoon inside.

“Typical of Nigerian housewives. And I don’t want you to become like them. Why don’t you start work? You don’t have to work 9-5. You can work remotely, just like I do.”

“I’ll think about that. I just have a lot clogging my thoughts. Tijanni is still appearing in my dreams. I haven’t even told Taofeek. The only persons I’ve told is you and my mom.”

“It’s no big deal, Khayrah. It is normal to dream about someone you’ve lost if the person was very close to you. Remember you didn’t even have much time to spend with Tijanni. You wanted to impact on his life but you couldn’t. Maybe that’s why. Give it time. You’ll get through everything.”

“Okay. Thanks, Janet,” I remarked, sitting on the sofa and cutting flesh from the chicken drumstick.

“Ehen! Remember that my Muslim neighbour that was smiling at you like a mumu the last time you visited?”

I swallowed the chicken as I replied. “Kunle? The one that drives a white car?”

“Yes oo. You won’t believe that he was asking about you yesterday. He said he likes you.”

I chuckled. “And what did you say?”

“I told him you’re happily married,” Janet stated as she put on the TV.

“Janet, the funny thing about my life is that I wasn’t really noticed by men before I got married. Now I’m married and boom! The toasters are knocking on my door.”

“Hahaha. You’re funny. Abeg, let’s watch this movie. The Princess Switch. I heard that the movie will make you fall in love.” She said as she clicked on play.

“Well, I’m already in love!” I exclaimed cheerfully.

Janet and I settled on the couch as we ate and watched the movie. After two hours of gushing over the characters and shedding tears, we fell asleep.

I was woken by the ringing of my phone. Janet and I woke up startled as we stared at the phone that rested on the table.

“It’s Taofeek,” I stated as I took the phone from the table. “Hello. Asalamu ‘alaykum,” I greeted in between yawns.

“Wa’alaykumu salam. You just woke up?”

“Janet and I watched a movie and fell asleep afterwards. How are you? You’re on your way home?”

“Yes, I am. And I have companies. Can you briskly make something?”

My face jerked in surprise. “Make something? Seriously? You’ve forgotten there’s no foodstuff at home?”

“Oh, yes. That’s true. You know what? Just buy a few provisions from the shop beside our house. Please.”

“Who are these guests we’re expecting sef? Are they that special?”

“They’re our friends. I’ve got to go now. We’ll be there in the next thirty minutes. Bye.”

“Your husband is inviting people over and now you have to cook for them?” Janet glared at me as I dropped the phone on my legs.

“Yes.”

“Ah, one of the reasons I’m grateful for not being married. Let me be on my way.”

“Okay. We’ll be going out together. I want to buy a few items from the shop close by.”
I had boiled rice and eggs and placed it in a large bowl in the kitchen. I was grating the balls of pepper and tomatoes when I heard a knock on the door.

I jostled out of the kitchen as I cleaned my sweaty forehead with my hand. I’d forgotten that I just touched balls of pepper. The stinging sensation it gave to my skin made me remember that.

“Ah!” I whined, rushing into the bathroom and rinsing my face.

Afterwards, I changed into a loose gown and wore a brown hijab. I breathed deeply as I walked towards the door. I was not very good at meeting new people and Taofeek knew that. He shouldn’t have just notified me within thirty minutes.

Taking another deep breath, I opened the door slowly to receive Taofeek and the guests.

“Surprise!” was yelled by my family members!

Surprise engulfed my face as I widened my eyes and stared at my parents and Fadilah, grinning at me in excitement.

“SubhanaLlaah. Darling, these are the guests? You’re incredible!” I yelled in excitement as I hugged them one after the other.
“We’ve missed you so much. Is this what happens when one gets married?” Fadilah laughed.
She was dressed in a red blouse and black palazzo pants. I dragged her cheeks and hugged her again.

“Can you go inside and have a seat? I haven’t visited here since you got married.” My father stated as we walked inside.

“Thank you,” I mouthed to Taofeek and he smiled in reply.

“I’ll go change into a simpler outfit. Khayrah will serve you a cold drink.” Taofeek stated as he was walking out of the living room.

“A minute.” I grinned as I followed Taofeek inside.

He gasped in surprise as he spotted entering the room. “Great surprise, yeah?” he said, unbuttoning his shirt.

“Greatest surprise ever! How were you able to pull this one without me noticing?”

“Well, I knew you have missed your family members and I noticed you’ve not really been yourself these days. So, I decided to surprise you and invite them over!”

“You’re the best,” I whispered, pulling him into a kiss.

“Thanks for the compliment…but you’ll have me all night. Now, go and meet your family members.”

“That’s right,” I remarked, pulling him into another kiss.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by jenifer007: 10:23pm On Jan 13, 2020
Fantastic story....welldone sis

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:02am On Jan 14, 2020
jenifer007:
Fantastic story....welldone sis

Thank you!
Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 10:13am On Jan 14, 2020
Happy new year

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 1:25pm On Jan 14, 2020
Ann2012:
Happy new year

You're welcome, sis!

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by daddio(m): 6:37pm On Jan 18, 2020
Thanks for the update sister. Allah bless you more.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 3:47pm On Jan 20, 2020
daddio:
Thanks for the update sister. Allah bless you more.

Aameen. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:04pm On Jan 23, 2020
Episode Twenty

Taofeek
A grin was plastered on my face as I changed into a simple t-shirt and a pair of shorts. Khayrah was very excited to see her family members. I chuckled as I heard their vibrant voices from the living room. My surprise was the best!

I had sat down on the bed to change into my shorts when my phone buzzed with a new notification. It was from Funmilayo.

I’m sorry to bother you. I know you have a lot of expenses to make…but please, remember that your children have started school and they need to pay their school fees. They also need to eat. I hope to hear from you soon.
- Funmilayo.

My face felt paralyzed as I read through the contents. I jammed on my phone’s keyboard to reply.

I’m so sorry, Funmilayo. I am broke. The month will end in the next four days. I’ll send you something by then. Thanks for your understanding.
- Taofeek.

I clicked ‘send’ and walked out of the room to meet only Fadilah and her father in the living room. Khayrah’s father had his phone pressed to his left ear as he spoke earnestly while Fadilah sat on the sofa, watching the TV.

“They are in the kitchen,” Fadilah smiled at me as she noticed my questioning eyes searching for Khayrah and her mother.

“Oh….” I stuttered. “I thought as much.”

Sincerely, I’d never quite related well with Khayrah’s family members, asides her mother. Her mother had soft and understanding eyes that usually portrayed the love she had for her daughter.

‘Khayrah loves you so much. And I know you love her. So, I love you both for loving yourself.’ She had remarked on a particular evening when I had called her to relate my worry about Khayrah’s state of health. It was when she was still brooding over the loss of Tijani.

Her last statement still rang in my memory. It meant a lot to me. She knew we both love ourselves deeply…but Khayrah’s father was different. I would feel nervous whenever I was relating to him. He acted nice and polite and he always offered to assist us in whatever way he could…but there was still something about his questioning eyes. Like I had gotten married to his daughter because of his money.

Continue reading https://www.maryamnittywall.com/2020/01/her-last-breath-episode-twenty.html

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by jenifer007: 10:23pm On Jan 23, 2020
Nice update.... Thank you

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 10:24pm On Jan 23, 2020
You're welcome!
Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 3:18am On Jan 24, 2020

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 9:36am On Jan 24, 2020
Ann2012:

You're welcome, sis.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 8:58pm On Feb 15, 2020
Episode Twenty-One[/b]

“Are you okay?” I stared at Taofeek skeptically. I could have assumed the worst but his face flickered with a smile.

“I’m perfect!” he exclaimed as he pulled into the parkway.

His hands trembled as turned off the ignition and grabbed his phone from his pocket. Staring at him, I could tell that he was overly-excited he would be seeing his first daughter after months of not being around her. I could tell that he wished he could get to wherever she was in a few seconds and pull her into a tight hug.

“Who knows where she would be now. That girl,” Taofeek smiled as he dialed her number.

Aliyah picked at the first ring. “Aliyah, where are you?”

I watched as he pressed the phone to his ear and listened to her. “A restaurant in the airport? Don’t you know their food is ten times the usual price…you were hungry…okay, we’ll be on our way.” He said and hung up the call.

“You wouldn’t believe it. Aliyah bought food from a restaurant here. Can you imagine how much she’d have spent? Well, I’m sure her mother had given a lot of money,” Taofeek was saying as he pulled off his seatbelt. “Let’s get going. We need to leave here on time so that we won’t get stuck in Ketu traffic.” He stated as he opened the car door.

I took a deep breath before alighting from the car. This was the moment I dreaded so much- the moment I would get to be with Aliyah, my husband’s daughter. Honestly, I thought getting married to a man with children out of wedlock would be easier…but it wasn’t.

‘Taofeek loves Aliyah as much as he loves me. If you love Taofeek, you should love Aliyah. Aliyah is only a teenager, you can handle her.’ I muttered as Taofeek held my hand while we walked down the road.

We hadn’t arrived at the restaurant when someone yelled ‘dad’ from afar. I could spot Aliyah, who was dressed in a red jumpsuit and black blazer, waving at us…or Taofeek. As we got closer, I noticed she was putting on gold heels and her veil had a row of beads that sparkled in the afternoon sun.

“Dad!” she screamed in frisson as she jumped on Taofeek in excitement. He pulled her into a tight embrace that lasted for minutes.

“How could I have missed this naughty little girl so much?” Taofeek chuckled as he pulled away and stared at her in awe and admiration.

“Am I not worthy to be missed…Aunty Khayrah, Asalamu ‘alaykum. How have you been?” she smiled at me, stretching her hand.

I shook her hand and smiled in return. “AlhamduliLlaah. Never been better. How was your journey? I hope it wasn’t too stressful.”

“Oh, no. it wasn’t. I decided to pull a surprise for my dad and it turned out perfect. I never knew he had missed me this much. And oh…you guys are the power couple oo. Imagine the way people were staring at you while you held hands,” Aliyah grinned.

Taofeek had shown me a picture of Jasmine. Just once. He never did so after that because of the way I had reacted upon seeing her picture. Believe me, I was jealous of my husband’s ex who was already married with kids. Jasmine had the super-model figure and looks. When Taofeek showed me a picture of her, I saw a tall and fair-complexioned pretty lady with the whitest set of teeth.

“One of her parents has Irish blood.” Taofeek had said when I asked how a Nigerian could look that way.

And Aliyah was her mother’s carbon copy. Only younger and prettier.

“Can we be on our way? We need to beat the traffic.” Taofeek said as he placed his hands around her neck.

While we were walking to where the car was parked, I placed a hand over my forehead to prevent the rays of the sun from entering my eyes and pretended to be busy on my phone.

“How are Hassan and Hassanah? Eyin father of three.”

“Ah, they are fine. I would be expecting another one soon,” Taofeek said with a proud one.

I whipped my head up to see Aliyah gasping in surprise. “SubhanaLlaah. So, you’ll become a father of four. I can’t wait to have one more sibling.” Aliyah was saying when her phone started to ring.

We walked quietly till I arrived at where the car was parked. When Taofeek had stared at me with a look of concern and asked if everything was fine, I smiled and replied in affirmative.
“Check out this one. I took this with mom in my room. Yes, I have a room there.” I could hear Aliyah from the living room, talking and laughing in excitement as she showed Taofeek photos she had taken back in Canada.

I muttered in between breaths as I sieved the spaghetti and took bulbs of onion from the tray. On a normal night like this, Taofeek and I would be in the kitchen, talking about a random thing as we make dinner. But tonight, he sat with Aliyah in the living room while I made dinner for them.

“…no. Mom’s hair is longer than mine. Very long, black and silky. Gosh, my mother should have contested for Miss Universe.” I heard Aliyah say from the living room.

I winced in anger as I imagined Taofeek thinking of the woman he had once professed love to. Feelings do not easily fade away. How could I be certain that he doesn’t wish he were in her husband’s shoes?

Water spilled from my eyes as I sliced the onion. I fumed as I watched tears drool down my face. It wasn’t because of Jasmine and Aliyah. It was the onion. But I wasn’t 100% certain!

I tried to drift my thoughts to something else- beans and plantain tomorrow morning. Trying out the red gown to Quwam, my cousin’s wedding. Calling Janet and maybe… visiting her on Sunday. There were so many things to do…better things other than getting jealous of my husband’s ex or disliking her daughter.

I spent about seven minutes to make the fish sauce. I served the food into the three plates and called out from the kitchen. “Food is ready!”

There was no response from any of them. I placed the plates in a tray and headed for the living room. I froze in shock as I spotted Taofeek on a call, grinning sheepishly and speaking in a vibrant tone. Clearing my throat and trying to maintain my composure, I strode over to where they were sitting and placed the tray on the table.

“…how is that my fault? It felt like you had stolen my daughter away from me.” Taofeek snickered as he listened to the caller on the other end.

“Thanks for the meal, Aunty Khayrah,” Aliyah said as she took a fork and started to eat.

I took a plate and turned towards her. “Who’s he talking to?”

“My mother.”

“Okay,” I swallowed hard as I turned on the TV and pretended to watch The Johnsons.

Taofeek ended the call about twenty minutes later with the excuse of having to pray at the mosque.

“We need to pray Ishai’ at the mosque. I guess I’ll eat when we return,” Taofeek said as he took his plate of cold spaghetti and headed towards the kitchen.

“You both go to the mosque to pray ishai’?” Aliyah asked.

“Yes,” I replied as I wore my hijab.

Taofeek hurried out of the kitchen and headed towards the room. “Please, give me five minutes my love. I need to ease myself.”
The sonorous voice of the unknown Qur’an reciter filled my ears and made my eyes misty. One of the reasons I loved to accompany Taofeek to the mosque was because of the calm atmosphere the night exudes. And sitting in the mosque would be the best feeling of the day. Most times, I would wish that I remain there till daybreak.

As I supplicated and glanced at women that walked in and out of the mosque, I reflected on the past few years and the blessing ALlaah had bestowed upon me. I never believed that I would live for more years. I had lost hope that I would find love and even carry my unborn child. Sometimes, I forget that I have a terminal illness. I would read stories of people with a similar condition and thank ALlaah over and over again.

‘Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?’ The reciter read a verse from Suratul Rahman and I couldn’t help the tears that filled my face.

My phone started to vibrate and I knew that it was Taofeek notifying me to leave the mosque. I was about to leave the mosque when someone called my name. It was Mama Kawthar, one of the estate women.

I winced as I turned slowly towards her and gave a pretentious smile. “Asalamu ‘alaykum, Mama Kawthar. How have you been?”

“Wa’alaykumu salam warahmatuLlaahi wabarakahtuhu. AlhamduliLlaah. You haven’t been attending our meetings.” She scanned my face closely, expecting an explanation.

“I’ve been busy. You know this is my first pregnancy experience. It hasn’t been easy. And…”

“Your husband doesn’t approve of you attending the meetings again, abi?”

“Well, yes.”

Mama Kawthar smiled. “But you’re not restricted from paying me a visit?”

“Ah, no. You’re my Muslim sister.”

“Okay. I’ll be expecting you tomorrow oo. I’ll prepare a special delicacy for you. If you like yourself, don’t come,” she laughed and I joined.

“Thank you, Mama Kawthar. I have to be on my way. My husband is waiting for me.” I smiled at her as I walked out of the mosque.

“What took you so long?” Taofeek asked with a frown as I joined him on the dark path.

“I was discussing with Mama Kawthar.”

“One of the women that attend those ridiculous meetings?”

“Not tonight, Taofeek. Not tonight.” I said in between breaths as I started to walk away.

Taofeek hurried to meet up with me. “What is wrong with you? You’ve been acting weird since this afternoon. You even called me by my name. Taofeek. Tell me if I did or said something that got you offended.”

“What happens to the phrase, ‘leave me alone’?”

“I get it. Pregnant women act moody sometimes.”

“What did you just say? So, you’re implying that I’m acting crazy? If the other women you impregnated acted moody, that doesn’t mean that I would do so!” I yelled at him.

It was pitch black but I could register the shock that engulfed his face. “What has gotten over you? Don’t you know that we’re outside? What is it, Khayrah? I’m trying to find out what is making you upset and you’re making it all worse. You know what? I’m leaving.” Taofeek said as he started to walk down the path.

I cleaned my eyes and walked slowly towards the house, wishing no one would be present. Not Taofeek or his daughter.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 8:59pm On Feb 15, 2020
Episode Twenty-two
I woke up with a throbbing in my head. Not just because Tijani had appeared again in my dream. But because I had spent a major part of the night tossing, holding my stomach in pain and sweating profusely. It had been long I felt that sick.

When I woke up the next morning, it felt like I had spent the night carrying heavy metal objects. My bones hurt and I struggled to take steps towards the bathroom.

Taofeek noticed that I wasn’t feeling okay, but he was too angry to ask. I could see his mouth quivering as if to mention a statement, then he would fix his eyes on the Qur’an and continue reciting.

I was a step away from the bathroom door when I felt a strong urge to puke. I opened the door with a loud thud and poured the slimy liquids from my mouth in the water closet. A gurgling sound came out of my throat as I bent and continued to puke.

“Are you okay?” Taofeek’s voice came as he poured water on my head.

“I feel sick…” I muttered as I rested on my head on the wall, feeling almost unconscious.

Taofeek flushed and carried me out of the bathroom. He placed me on the bed and covered my wobbly body with a blanket. “You don’t look so fine. When did this start?”

“Last night.”

“Last night and you’re just informing me?” he gave me an incredulous look. “So, if you haven’t puked, I could have just remained here, wondering if you’re sick or not.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“Look, I’m sorry about yesterday but you know you’re the one at fault. You wouldn’t even tell me what I did wrong.”

“I’m not the one talking to my ex like I’m still in love with him,” I said in an angry tone.

Taofeek jaw dropped. “You think I still like Jasmine?”

“Yes. She is beautiful and all that…but didn’t you even remember that your wife was seated in the same room while you spoke to her for a long time?”

“She is the mother of my child!”

“I didn’t ask you to impregnate her.”

“But I hadn’t even met you, Khayrah, and I was ignorant. You know I’m a changed man.”

“And I don’t want everything to change because your daughter is back. This is hard for me, okay? I haven’t said this before but I’m doing so now. It’s really hard. I’m just trying to get used to all of this. Jasmine and Aliyah…and Funmilayo and Hassan and Hassanah.”

“Sometimes, the past does not leave without imprinting a scar that can never fade away. If I could turn back the hands of time, I wouldn’t have indulged in fornication. But I thank ALlaah for guiding me to the right path and I pray it remains this way until I take my last breath.”

“Aameen,” I smiled at him. “I guess I overreacted. I’m sorry.”

“Oh, yes you did. But believe me, Aliyah has a good heart. You’ll get to love her more than you can ever imagine. She is a lovely girl.”

“You love her so much, don’t you?”

“I love her so much. I’d nurtured her since she was a baby. She has nothing against you. She likes you a lot. At first, she was scared things wouldn’t remain the same between me and her when we get married but she has come to terms with the fact that I still love her as much as I do.”

“I love you, Taofeek.”

“Same here, Khayrah. And I’m bothered about your health. Shouldn’t we visit the hospital?”

“You have to go to work. Let’s watch my condition till the end of today. If I don’t get better, then we can know the next step to take.”

“Okay, love. Let me take my bath and prepare for work.” He kissed my forehead before grabbing his towel and heading towards the bathroom.
Aliyah grinned excitedly as she watched me put a spoon of rice into my mouth. I chewed slowly as if I was scared it would taste bad, but it turned out I was wrong. The meal was very delicious.

“You love it?” Aliyah chuckled.

“I do!” I laughed as I took more spoons.

It was over four hours since Taofeek left for work and Aliyah had promised to make breakfast- a delicious Italian dish she had learnt from her mother. She called it Paella.

“I’m a good cook. My dad taught me how to cook when I was seven.”

“Nice,” I smiled at her as I continued to devour the delicious meal that had a unique taste, different from the regular fried and jollof rice that I ate at least thrice a week.

“Aunty Khayrah,” Aliyah started, clearing her throat. “I didn’t really mean to get my dad upset by not returning to Nigeria early. I guess I just needed to change the environment. I forgave my mother for leaving me when she narrated all that happened.”

“What happened?”

“My mother was the pretty innocent only daughter of a wealthy father. She had only her father who was overly-protective of his only child. So, when she started studying in the university and she met my dad, she didn’t know what love entails,” Aliyah chuckled and then continued. “She called him a playboy. He didn’t love her but she was madly in love with him. Well, she thought he loved her until he broke up with her barely a month after they met. The painful part was that he started a new relationship with another lady from the same department. She was devastated and she felt her world was over. She didn’t know the worst was to come. She got pregnant and her father couldn’t take it. He withdrew her from the school and waited for her to deliver the child. Thereafter, he commanded that she take the baby to the father and flew her to Canada immediately. My mother spent those years thinking about me and praying for my welfare. Years after, she found love and got married. Then, she was too ashamed to come back for me. Her husband urged her to return to Nigeria and look for me, which she did.”

“I’m so sorry about that. Well, your dad is a changed man. I’m sure he regretted all he did and have learnt his lessons the hard way.” I laughed as I glanced at Aliyah and noticed that her eyes were moist.

“You’re lucky. I mean you have a loving sister who is like your best friend. Spending these few minutes with my siblings in Canada is a whole new experience and I enjoyed every moment. I grew up in dad’s family house and….my grandfather wasn’t really nice to me at first. People weren’t nice to me. They saw me as a taboo,” she smiled ruefully.”

“We should thank ALlaah for being a merciful God who forgives us of our sins and guide us right.”

“Yes. AlhamduliLlaah.” Aliyah remarked as she sipped from her cup of water.

I stared at her and cleared my throat, willing the words to come out. “Growing up was fun…but it all ceased in my third year in the university…when I was diagnosed with cancer.”

Aliyah watched me with sympathetic eyes. “How did it all start?”

“I felt sick most of the time but it wasn’t a big deal to any of us because I’d never been a very healthy child. I usually parade the hospital for one treatment or the other since I was little. But it became worse and my parents knew that we had to consult a doctor. It was then that the doctor broke the dreadful news. But he gave us hope because the cancer was in its early stages. He made us hopeful that I could live longer than I would ever imagine.”

“How did you take the news?”

“Or how did people take the news? They started to stare at me on campus like I was a dead person walking in the land of the living. I would be walking to the lecture hall and overhear people whispering, ‘Chai. This young lady has cancer. I pity her oo. Imagine counting your last days.’ That would break me and I would sometimes spend the rest of the day in the toilet, shedding tears. I couldn’t cope with studies. I failed most of the courses. I had to withdraw from the university. I secured an admission to further my studies at the University of Nottingham. A week before I travelled out of Nigeria, my mother convinced my father that I remain in Nigeria because she couldn’t bear to see me stay far away without knowing how I would fare. So I remained at home and enrolled in an online bachelors programme.”

“I’m sorry, Aunty Khayrah. I didn’t know you went through all that.”

“That’s not all. Before all this, I was in love with my neighbor. His name is Abdul Lateef. You know these love stories you would see in movies where a man would wash his car downstairs and his lover would stare at him from afar, watching his abs and smiling seductively at him? That was our love story. We were madly in love… I mean, I was madly in love because when I reflect on the past, I wonder if he truly loved me. Abdul Lateef deserted me when he discovered I was terminally ill. So, I was all alone with my family members, until I met Taofeek, your father.
“We met on Facebook. He sent a message…and messages sprouted out of that single message and before you know it, we were head over heels with each other. We met and got married. The same Khayrah people had imagine would never get married, tied the knots with the best husband in the world. Aliyah, your father is a blessing from ALlaah. I met him when I’d lost hope in life. He proposed to me when I counting my last breath and just waiting for death to arrive. Your father have given me reasons to live, love and be happy.
“You see, cancer has taught me a lot. To appreciate life and remember that our stay on earth is limited. When I received the news, I became more conscious of ALlaah. I started to use the hijab and study more about the deen. I also realised that being terminally ill is a way of being conscious of life that could end any second. One of my colleagues in school, who had consoled and wished me well, died just a week afterwards. She had no terminal illness and no flick of an idea that she was just counting her last breath.”

“Aunty Khayrah, you should write a book to tell the world about your story.”

I laughed loudly as a smile passed across my face. Taofeek was right. Aliyah was a sweet child with a pure heart.” That’s just a cliché. I do not even own a diary. Really I don’t have…” I was saying when my phone beeped.

I picked it up from the table and realised that I had a new message.

Don’t forget your promise oo!
- Mama Kawthar.

I jumped up and packed the plates into a tray. “Aliyah, would you like to accompany me to a friend’s house. She stays in the estate.”

Aliyah shrugged. “Okay. I’ll just go to my room and change my clothes.”

“Okay,” I replied as I strode towards the kitchen.

Suddenly, everywhere appeared dizzy and I struggled to maintain composure. At that very minute, the contents I was holding fell on the ground. I could hear the cracking of the ceramic plate as I slumped and became unconscious.

2 Likes

Re: Her Last Breath by jenifer007: 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2020
Well done mareeam....Good work

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 4:59am On Feb 16, 2020
Aaliyah is a nice kid, hope Khayrah slumping won't be as a result of her condition being worsened.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 4:16pm On Feb 16, 2020
jenifer007:
Well done mareeam....Good work

Thank you.
Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 5:08pm On Feb 16, 2020
Ann2012:
Aaliyah is a nice kid, hope Khayrah slumping won't be as a result of her condition being worsened.

You're welcome, sis.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by mareeam802(f): 4:30pm On Feb 29, 2020
Her Last Breath (Episode Twenty-Three)
Taofeek
I had always dreaded this moment. The moment Khayrah would be fighting for her life and friends and well-wishers would storm the hospital premise and the house, to console and wish her speedy recovery…not like it would make a difference…well, maybe it will.

My legs wobbled as I folded my hands around my chest and fixed my eyes on the floor tiles- the white sparkling tiles that had been recently cleaned by a lady in a blue gown.

Again, this was the moment I dreaded so much. The moment when Khayrah would be fighting for her life and I would sit in the hospital reception, bawling my eyes and muttering prayers that Khayrah remains safe. I detested this moment so much. It was the same with my mother when she was fighting for her life seven years ago.

We were also in the hospital reception, anxiously pacing back and forth and practically quarreling with the doctor who insisted that we remained calm. But my mom lost her life afterwards. She did not make it out of the hospital alive.

I did not want the same for Khayrah. She was the only woman I had dreamt of spending the rest of my life with. Even when I knew she was terminally ill, I had lived every single day with the hope that we would live so long that she would have forgotten she was ill. That we would grow old and watch streaks of silver hair multiply on our heads, and watch our children get married and have their grandchildren. I had always wished for this. I never wished to witness Khayrah fighting for her life…and being unable to do anything about it.

“But…we should be able to see her…we should…” I prattled as Khayrah’s mother started to weep loudly.

Fadilah joined her and soon, the reception was filled with loud cries. Water dripped down my face as I watched them cry helplessly. I cleaned my wet face with the sleeve of my shirt and scampered out of the hospital building.

Sighing loudly as I inhaled the fresh air, I gave freedom to the tears that had been struggling to come out, flow uncontrollably down my face. My life felt like a mess in an instant. I might be losing my wife and child.

“Daddy,” I heard Aliyah’s voice behind me as she hugged me from behind.

I pulled her in front of me and hugged her tightly, and we both stood for minutes, shedding tears and hoping that everything would turn out fine.

“You haven’t had lunch, dad. We should visit the restaurant down the street,” Aaliyah said as she stroked my hand.

I pinned my lips tightly in frustration. “You know I can’t eat anything. I just want to…”

“Okay, tea. Tea would be fine. Let’s go somewhere for a while. You’ve been in there for hours and it isn’t helping you.” Aliyah stated as she dragged my hand and pulled me away.

“What if the doctor calls us in?”

“Aunty Khayrah’s mom and sister are there. Come on, dad. You need this.”

“Okay,” I replied and we walked out of the premises.
Aliyah watched me intently as she ate jollof rice and fried fish. I sipped from my tea and watched people that strode in and out of the restaurant. I stared at a fair-complexioned man whose face beamed with a smile as he walked hand in hand with a petite lady.

Love, truly is underrated. Why would love allow one to fall in love with someone, just to end up losing the person?

Aliyah cleared her throat as she caught me staring at me the fair-complexioned man. “Your phone has been ringing.”

“My phone?”

“Yes, your phone. Give it to me,” She stated as I dipped my hand into my pocket and brought out my phone.

“Here it is,” I dropped it on the table and sipped from the cup of tea, which had turned cold.

“SubhanaLlaah! You have fifty missed calls. Uncle Lukman, Uncle Lukman again, Funmilayo, Uncle Lukman again, your dad, Jalil, Zainab…you have to return these calls, dad….ah, Uncle Lukman’s calling again,” she said as she picked up the phone. “Wa’alaykumu salam. Yes, I got back yesterday. No, he wouldn’t answer the call. On your way? Okay, we will be expecting you.”

“They’re on their way?”

“Yes. Uncle Lukman, Uncle Jalil and grandpa are on their way.”

“Okay,” I muttered as I stared at the ground.

“Dad? Please look at me.” Aliyah held my hands tightly.

“Yes, love?” I whipped my head up.

“Let’s put our absolute trust in ALlaah. In sha ALlaah, she’ll be fine,” she said with moistened eyes.

I smiled weakly. “Thank you, Aliyah.”

“Let’s go the mosque. It’s almost asr. Let’s bow down to ALlaah and beg Him to keep her safe.”

“You’re right. I’ll settle the bills,” I muttered as I walked over to the counter.

Aliyah described the mosques she had visited in Canada as we walked to the mosque. However, I could hardly grasp what she was saying. An image of Khayrah with several tubes connected to her nostrils clouded my thoughts. An image of Khayrah dressed in a white hideous gown and lying on the bed with her eyes closed filled my thoughts.

I wondered if I would ever get the opportunity to spend more time with her- to gaze at her lovingly as she cracked one of her jokes and dance around the room in baggy pants. I wished she were right here beside me, talking about a random topic and planting a kiss on my lips in the middle of our conversation. I wished I could feel the softness of her skin and laugh at her as she shed tears after watching a romantic comedy. I had promised to buy a plate of ewedu soup from Mama Riskat’s buka on my way from work.

“What’s the assurance that you’ll still have the appetite to eat this when I return from work? Is it not this my pregnant wife? That’s when you’ll say that I should have bought bread and sardine.” I had laughed while buttoning my shirt this morning.

A wry smile came across Khayrah’s face. “Be pregnant for just a day and know how it feels.”

“Dad? Dad?” Aliyah tapped my arm as I drifted to the present. “Yes?”

“Someone has been calling your name.”

“Who?”

“That woman.” Aliyah pointed and I followed her finger.

I froze in shock as I saw Ummul Khayr grinning at me from afar. She had started walking towards us and I caught a clearer version of her. She was dressed in a lab coat and black gown and her hands were dug in her coat’s pockets. Ummul Khayr looked much older than when I last saw her. She was more robust and her skin was fairer in complexion. The last time I saw her was when I had called our relationship quits. She was kneeling and pleading that I continue to love her when I walked out of the restaurant. That was eleven years ago.

“Long time no see. I’m still wondering if I’m in a dream world. Isn’t this Taofeek?” Ummul Khayr chuckled as she glanced at me. “Ah, yes. He’s still the one. I can spot the tiny birthmark beside your lips. You haven’t changed much…still looking young and handsome.”

“Thank you, Ummul Khayr. Asalamu ‘alaykum.”

“Wa’alaykumu salam.”

“I didn’t expect to see you here…or to ever see you. We didn’t depart in a good way. How have you been?” I asked as I glanced at her finger to realise that she was married.

I sighed in relief when I saw a gold ring resting on her fourth finger. Ummul Khayr was one of the ladies I had dated in the past- one of the ladies whose heart was shredded into pieces by the playboy, Taofeek.

“AlhamduliLlaah, I’m doing great. I’m happily married with two girls. I also work as a pediatrician in the hospital at the beginning of the street. What about you?” Ummul Khayr asked, glaring at Aliyah as if she was wondering if Aliyah was my lover.

“Meet my first daughter, Aliyah,” I said as Ummul Khayr gasped in surprise.

Regaining her composure, she stretched her hand forward. “Nice to meet you, Aliyah. I can’t believe you got married. So, what are you doing here?”

I screwed up my face in agony. “My wife is sick. She is being admitted in the hospital you work for.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. I hope she’s getting better?”

“In sha ALlaah, she will. We need to run along. I’ll catch up with you later.”

“Okay Taofeek,” Ummul Khayr waved as she left our presence.

“When will you tell me how many hearts you’ve broken?” A flicker of amusement passed over Aliyah’s face.

“I can’t even remember. Let’s hurry to the mosque so that we’ll get to the hospital on time. I want to be present when Khayrah wakes up.” I said as we fastened our steps.

As we hurried to the mosque, I wondered if my current predicament was a payback for the atrocities I had committed in the past.
Ridwan, Jalil, and my dad were seated beside Khayrah’s mother and Fadilah when we returned to the hospital. Everyone bore a solemn look on their faces as they spoke in hush whispers.

Ridwan stood up immediately he saw us approaching them. “Taofeek…” he muttered as he pulled me into a tight hug.

“I’m so sorry this is happening. I wish it didn’t happen…I really wish it didn’t happen…I’m sorry. Khayrah will be fine, in sha ALlaah.” Ridwan whispered as he sobbed openly.

“We should put all our trust in ALlaah. Everything will be fine, in sha ALlaah,” I smiled as I patted his shoulder and walked towards my father to greet him.

“Asalamu ‘alaykumm, sir.”

“Wa’alaykumu salam, Taofeek.” My father stared at me and pulled his gaze away.

His eyes were also misty and I also noticed that his hands were shivering. I knew that his heart was filled with words that were left unsaid. Like how he remembered when we were awaiting the fate of my mom as she struggled for her life. Jalil, on the other hand, said the taslim and buried his face to hide the tears that were streaking down his face. It truly hurt me to watch my family members look solemn all because of me.

“Taofeek, Khayrah’s dad sends his regards. He is currently on a flight back to Nigeria. He had visited Budapest for a meeting,” Khayrah’s mother said as she cleaned her wet face.

“Okay.” I took a seat beside the Ridwan and perceived the stench odour of antiseptic that filled the air. I felt woozy as I struggled to get up and hurry to the toilet.

I had no idea about how I safely jostled towards the toilet but three minutes later, I was vomiting all of the contents in my stomach into the water closet. I sighed in relief as I washed my face with water.

‘Put all your trust in ALlaah. Khayrah will be fine.’ I thought as I returned to the hospital’s reception.

I gasped in shock and my heart juddered in my chest as I spotted a man dressed in white, talking to my family members.

I hurried towards the scene and grabbed his arm. “How is Khayrah?”

Doctor Muyiwa was a stout-looking man with a silver moustache and he had streaks of beard beneath his jaw. He had an unusual croaky voice that sounded like he had spent his years yelling and thereby, losing his voice. “Taofeek. I’ll need to see you privately. And Mrs. Adewale. The two of you should accompany me to my office.”

“Okay!” Khayrah’s mother and I yelled in unison as we tailed Doctor Muyiwa to his office.

1 Like

Re: Her Last Breath by Ann2012(f): 4:45pm On Feb 29, 2020
Wishing Khayrah quick recovery

Thanks for the update

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Story Books In PDF FORMAT?? / How To Attach A Downloadable File On My Website / Stories By Michael Luxguy Augustine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.