Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,828 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? (15021 Views)

How true? / Buy 2M Now Sell 20M In Five Years Risk Free Investment That Never Depreciates / Real Estate Never Felt So Good With This Flash Sale With Great ROI and C of O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 03, 2019
Grandlord:
Go read about what led to the great recession of 2008.
Are you referring to the Global Market Crash of 2008? The reason for that was that people were taking up mortgaged not backed by collateral and when default set in, the market crashed.
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Afiahomes(m): 9:55am On Nov 03, 2019
Muhylonaire:
I want to go into real estate... Any instructor here?
you have 1billion as capital? if yes holla me for some strategies cool

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by studentofTruth: 10:02am On Nov 03, 2019
onegig:

You guys just come online and post half truths and whatnot.

Please show me one single advert from 2005 where a plot of Land in Lekki 1 or 2 was 500k.

Yeah , real estate might bring you profits but for all its so called ROIs it's capital intensive and except you are doing large scale purchases which is out of the reach of the average Joe on the street, you are just wasting your time.

A plot of land in Ibeshe Ikorodu was generally sold for N250k in 2006/2007 . The minimum wage as at then was N13,000 and NYSC corpers were being paid 9500 or so. Petrol was N35 or N45 as at then, now it's hovering around N150. Inflation was at 18% as of January 2007.

After all said and done as at today, that same land can't fetch you more than 2Million in the same Ibeshe Ikorodu.

That's a paltry 600% return on investment after 12years. If you factor in inflation rates and CPI you would understand the profit margin isn't more than 10% . That's fucking outrageous for a long term capital intensive investment.

If i had a residual income of ONLY 250k as at 2007 to invest,I am sure i wouldn't be receiving 2million as a worthy return after 12 years. So you guys should stop touting lands and houses as an eldorado investment option. If you had so much residual income laying fallow you can go tie it up buying landed properties as an hedge against inflation but if you have limited capital and have a viable biz that gives you 30% to 40% returns on investment year on year please plough such funds into the biz. You would be better off.

Chief, which business/investment gives one 30-40% ROI year on year? I will like to invest in such business. Thank you.
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by PearlStreet(m): 10:04am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:

My friend, google is your friend. Mind you, I have real estate background.

No one uses all his funds to buy land. Your regular income source(s) has to be going while you invest in real estate to get residual income. All investment has level of risks.

Guy, stop telling lies. Land was never 500k in Lekki in 2005. As at 2003, I was living in Ikoyi and I knew what property prices were saying then. Lekki was never 500k, not even when they converted Maroko to Lekki.

Only places like Ogombo far inside were around that price in 2005. How much is Ogombo far inside today?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by naijadrivablog: 10:14am On Nov 03, 2019
PearlStreet:

Guy, stop telling lies. Land was never 500k in Lekki in 2005. As at 2003, I was living in Ikoyi and I knew what property prices were saying then. Lekki was never 500k, not even when they converted Maroko to Lekki.

Only places like Ogombo far inside were around that price in 2005. How much is Ogombo far inside today?

I think you need glasses. Check my original posts you quoted again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by joelag: 10:17am On Nov 03, 2019
onegig:

Please show me one single advert from 2005 where a plot of Land in Lekki 1 or 2 was 500k.

Yeah , real estate might bring you profits but for all its so called ROIs it's capital intensive and except you are doing large scale purchases which is out of the reach of the average Joe on the street, you are just wasting your time.

A plot of land in Ibeshe Ikorodu was generally sold for N250k in 2006/2007 . The minimum wage as at then was N13,000 and NYSC corpers were being paid 9500 or so. Petrol was N35 or N45 as at then, now it's hovering around N150. Inflation was at 18% as of January 2007.

After all said and done as at today, that same land can't fetch you more than 2Million in the same Ibeshe Ikorodu.

That's a paltry 600% return on investment after 12years. If you factor in inflation rates and CPI you would understand the profit margin isn't more than 10% . That's fucking outrageous for a long term capital intensive investment.

If i had a residual income of ONLY 250k as at 2007 to invest,I am sure i wouldn't be receiving 2million as a worthy return after 12 years. So you guys should stop touting lands and houses as an eldorado investment option. If you had so much residual income laying fallow you can go tie it up buying landed properties as an hedge against inflation but if you have limited capital and have a viable biz that gives you 30% to 40% returns on investment year on year please plough such funds into the biz. You would be better off.

Eye opener... One of my friend will see this. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Grandlord: 10:29am On Nov 03, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Are you referring to the Global Market Crash of 2008? The reason for that was that people were taking up mortgaged not backed by collateral and when default set in, the market crashed.

3 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by jojothaiv(m): 10:54am On Nov 03, 2019
On a lighter note, real estate depreciates faster when you site your properties closer to a mortuary or cemetery..

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Donmorph1991(m): 10:59am On Nov 03, 2019
[quote author=naijadrivablog post=83696807]grin

Oga, of every investment there is, real estate remains a solid investment.

Your points are valid but at what percentage does real estate depreciate?
Lets take flood as a disaster that could affect land appreciation, it is wise not to buy lands in a flood prone areas. If I have a land in Lekki, it would just be one or two and I shall wait for a few years and sell.

Lekki is flood prone (some areas) but in 2003, a land there costs around N2m but in 2017 or so, it costs a whooping N100,000,000.

In the long run, real estate beats shares/stocks/bonds, business investment etc.

The rule is, never buy properties in one location only, spread the investment in several, yes you are right, contact me to invest in our estate accross lagos and ogun state

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by SUCCEXIANO(f): 10:59am On Nov 03, 2019
shocked
sad shocked
Nukilia:

Only in Nigeria, where politicians who stole the nations wealth build estates which average income earners cannot afford.
angry
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 03, 2019
Grandlord:
Not exactly. People were getting loans/mortgages from banks to get new houses and then sell off these houses for huge profits therefore paying back juicy interests to the banks. The banks then saw this as lucrative and gave out more loans to many people.

When the supply of houses surpassed the demand, prices fell and everything crashed. The banks had to be bailed out by the government as they couldn't recover their money from those folks. This is just a simple explanation though.
Oga, I treated Capital Market and market crashes were discussed. The major reason why the market crashed then was that those houses were not backed by the right collateral and that was why more people patronized Mortgages. It was majorly the fault of the bankers as more people patronised them and they felt they were making more profit by giving out these mortgage security. Some very greedy people were also buying on Margin Debt...you buy a security without cash/with a little cash with the hope of paying back when it's sold. In a case where this transaction exist and a crash happens, those ones are likely to commit suicide 'cause they were heavily indebted. This was a major hit in the history of America as people fell off tall city buildings.
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by AntiWailer: 11:10am On Nov 03, 2019
Real estate is over rated and do depreciate.

When we say it depreciates, that does not mean we are generalizing.

Let's do a simple analysis especially if u collect a mortgage.

The interest u pay can triple the value and cost of the house as u spread the payment.

By the time u are done paying, u would have paid an amount the house is not worth in 15 years of ur tenor
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Grandlord: 11:13am On Nov 03, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Oga, I treated Capital Market and market crashes were discussed. The major reason why the market crashed then was that those houses were not backed by the right collateral and that was why more people patronized Mortgages. It was majorly the fault of the bankers as more people patronised them and they felt they were making more profit by giving out these mortgage security. Some very greedy people were also buying on Margin Debt...you buy a security without cash/with a little cash with the hope of paying back when it's sold. In a case where this transaction exist and a crash happens, those ones are likely to commit suicide 'cause they were heavily indebted. This was a major hit in the history of America as people fell off tall city buildings.
Listen madam , the banks have been giving out those mortgages ever since 2006/2007 and it was super successful even without collateral, though it was risky. The main problem started when they got greedy and gave it to every Joe who wanted to opt in, thereby saturating the market, lea ding to a crash. There was more to it but I'll just leave it simple for your understanding.
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by koning: 11:13am On Nov 03, 2019
onegig:

You hit the nail right on the head. It's a horrible investment if you do not have lots of idle cash. If you put N5 million on a piece of property with the hope of recuperating the N5million in 6 to 10 years, that is a very bad investment move in my opinion. The worst are people who build block of flats to rent out.
The best investment in property is to build the very house you will live in. This way you don't have to waste money that you would otherwise put in your biz paying rent.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Originalsly: 11:15am On Nov 03, 2019
Cryomancer:

That's not true please... real estate can depreciate and turn into a bad investment overnight especially in a country like Nigeria that lacks development.

People can purchase a landed property with hope that the location will be developed, but at the end things might even get worse.

Example is Satellite Town that used to be a high brow area, but since an Oil Depot was situated there, it has suddenly become an eyesore due to the bad roads and tankers blocking every access for homeowners to enter their homes peacefully and the local government care less about it because of the money they collect from the fuel tankers. Now people are selling off their houses over there for a cheap price and house rents now have become so cheap with lots of vacant houses around, because everybody is moving out and nobody seems to be moving in.

Real estate is good but invest in it wisely, especially in this yeye country that lacks vision, projections and development.

Excellent response. I didn't want to quote the whole thing... but damn... I couldn't find anything to leave out! Sooo interesting when someone put out his opinion.... and back it up.... especially adding matters on ground locally.
I also do agree real estate can depreciate. More often in small towns or villages... especially if there is a major employer like a factory or mining company that shuts down.... that community begins to fall apart.... no economic activity... real estate loses value... residents move out... properties become vacant... abandoned... lose value big time. Real estate in a bustling major city is a different story.
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 03, 2019
Grandlord:
Listen madam , the banks have been giving out those mortgages ever since 2006/2007 and it was super successful even without collateral, though it was risky. The main problem started when they got greedy and gave it to every Joe who wanted to opt in, thereby saturating the market, leading to a crash.
What's now the basis of this argument since you just ended up buttressing the initial point I made?
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Grandlord: 11:22am On Nov 03, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
What's now the basis of this argument since you just ended up buttressing the initial point I made?
That's what I thought about your previous reply to me as you were basically corroborating what I had said before. So I thought maybe you didn't get my point and had to explain in more simpler terms so you could understand. cool
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Grandlord: 11:24am On Nov 03, 2019
Mastermindx how are you? Any problem?
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by EgunMogaji2: 11:24am On Nov 03, 2019
Mecoy:
The past two phases of my Civil Engineering career has found me working with two of Nigeria's top Real Estate companies.

I have planned, designed and also supervised projects. By virtue of working with the big boys of Real Estate in Nigeria, I have met and interacted with a lot of Real Estate agents and other upcoming Real Estate companies in Nigeria.

An Ongoing Real Estate Development

It is a common saying here, that Real Estate never depreciates, and I used to believe it was true, until the question was asked by one of my twitter followers, and I had to do a lot of critical analysis before answering his question.

Real Estate remains a very reliable investment, but like all other investments, there is a risk of depreciation associated with Real Estate.

Considering the first component of Real Estate: buildings, In Civil Engineering, all buildings have a design life. They are designed to last a certain number of years, usually between thirty and fifty years, depending on the budget of the owner. Consequently, as every cubic meter of concrete is poured, as every Kilogram of reinforcement is placed, the design life starts counting. Over a few months, several components starts losing value, some begin to call for repair, depreciation sets in.

If you purchase a piece of land and you have been asked to expect a certain Return on Investment, could anything possibly go wrong and reduce your ROI? Yes, a lot could go wrong!

Flooding could be an issue, as it takes a little increase in the level of adjoining land areas or an increase in the road level to get your land flooded. A bad drainage in the neighbourhood or the rechanneling of a river or some unfavourable incident at a nearby dam could get your property flooded. If you were to sell that property, no one will be willing to pay good money for it, and will definitely bargain lesser for the land. No one will even want to buy a flooded piece of land in the first, except there are no other available options.

Bad roads could also cause the value of a piece of land to depreciate. If the road(s) leading to your piece of land becomes bad, investors and prospective home owners will be discouraged and the demand for land in that neighbourhood will reduce. It is basic Economics that whenever there is low demand for any commodity, the price drops in an attempt to encourage demand.

Security could also be a major factor. If any expensive neighbourhood becomes notorious, either because of armed robbery, kidnapping, bombing or any other crime, the value of that neighbourhood will drop, and your piece of land will definitely lose its value.

Natural disasters or environmental disasters could also deal a fatal blow on your piece of land. Oil spillage, erosion, collapsed bridges, collapsed power supply structures can all lead to a fall in the value of your piece of land.

When next you intend to purchase a property, please consider the above factors, and if you are spending a lot on the piece of land, I will strongly advise that a Soil investigation and topographical investigation be carried out. It is better to be safe than to be sorry.

http://michaelakinpelu..com/2019/06/real-estate-never-depreciates-how-true.html?m=1

You’re right, real estate can depreciate.

What makes real estate investment compelling is that it’s rather stable on the long term.

I bought a house in a suburb of Los Angeles around 2000 for $150K, I sold it in 2006 for $550K. About a year later it was now worth $350K. I looked on Zillow last year and the value is now $650K. On the long term the buyer is still sitting on $100K equity. And he’s been getting massive tax breaks as well as residential value over the years.

The biggest fraud in Nigeria are the fly by night money laundering estates that advertise non existing estates inside forests.

6 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by onegig(m): 11:25am On Nov 03, 2019
femeritus:

Good analysis. Please if you have such an to recommend, let me know.

Honestly, I won't be here touting a biz idea.

But the best biz are those you are well grounded in and know the ins and out. So I would advise you look inward and see skills you have and invest in such. If you are the type that isn't really that handy or technical then maybe the money market is a viable option.

Let me give you a practical example. A friend sells some high end graphic cards. I was Looking to divest and we got orders for about 100. Margin of profit was like 30% at the end i muddled up the orders because I wasn't just really vast in such markets. I am very good at computing but the graphics card market was a bit new. Instead of ordering the small form type we ordered the tower type. Also there were better markets to order such from but we ordered from a source that was much more expensive. At the end we are battling to even break even as we had to sell at cost price not considering the stress involved. So I really can't tout any ideas.

There are lots of investment opportunities out there even treasury funds . The basic is just do your due diligence and know the risks.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 03, 2019
Grandlord:
That's what I thought about your previous reply to me as you were basically corroborating what I had said before. So I thought maybe you didn't get my point and had to explain in more simpler terms so you could understand. cool
Alright.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by onegig(m): 11:39am On Nov 03, 2019
naijadrivablog:

My friend, google is your friend. Mind you, I have real estate background.

No one uses all his funds to buy land. Your regular income source(s) has to be going while you invest in real estate to get residual income. All investment has level of risks.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://landforsaleinlagos.com/best-place-location-to-buy-a-land-in-lagos-where-do-i-invest/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjH-ZPWts3lAhVHiFwKHVL7CUwQFjAGegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3GIoq2S0K7Jdmb3Fr48maM

When posting we need to factor in the audience.

The average Nairaland person is not worth more than 5million naira in both liquid cash and assets. Let's even drag the net wider I can say with all confidence that over 70% of Nigerian families have a combined income of less than 5million naira a year.

So where is even that disposable funds to buy lands? Why do you think we have a chronic housing problem? Not like the lands and houses aren't there, the purchasing power is just non existent for the general populace. Is it someone struggling to rent a 1bd flat in Ikotun that would have the residual millions he can use to buy lands and wait for it to turn profit in 15 years?

You can't even go take loans in the money market to fund such because the average loan rates and tenor are much higher than whatever profit you intend getting. Don't even get me started on building flats to rent out.

The people making money in the real estate markets are the agents. You sell a land you had no single investment or capital inside and take a cut of 5% to 15%. Except those who have endless capital they buy large expense of land at a discount due to the economics of scale and sell out in bits but how many have such capital?

Let's be realistic please.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by Gerrard59(m): 12:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
onegig:

A plot of land in Ibeshe Ikorodu was generally sold for N250k in 2006/2007 . The minimum wage as at then was N13,000 and NYSC corpers were being paid 9500 or so. Petrol was N35 or N45 as at then, now it's hovering around N150. Inflation was at 18% as of January 2007. After all said and done as at today, that same land can't fetch you more than 2Million in the same Ibeshe Ikorodu. That's a paltry 600% return on investment after 12years. If you factor in inflation rates and CPI you would understand the profit margin isn't more than 10% . That's fucking outrageous for a long term capital intensive investment.

Thank you. No more buying of lands anymore.

cc: Tensazangetsu20

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by tunde82seidat(f): 12:21pm On Nov 03, 2019
Muhylonaire:
I want to go into real estate... Any instructor here?

I'm a real estate Consultant and i can guide you through the process. The most important things to look out for when looking to invest are location , title and Price .How do you verify if the property you getting is commited or freehold .Lets talk Real Estate check my signature
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by airminem(f): 12:30pm On Nov 03, 2019
ctleurocollege:

Google ACT foundation
ok
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by airminem(f): 12:32pm On Nov 03, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
They don't take up loans to fund a charity cause. grin No do wetin your hand no reach.
What next?
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by TBrownAuto(m): 12:34pm On Nov 03, 2019
I have problems with sales representative, they always like sugar quoting thing tell you the sweet side and leave the bad side u know that god forbid thing, nothing to worry about, looooool

Real estate is not as they always say look at 2003 as the Op claims how much is cost of 100 naira bread today then its 20 naira that is 400% rise in price, is not stupid if I tell you buy this bread 2003 and sell later 2019 bla bla you will make 80 naira but in real estate they make it look great for the ear and minds, during the period of that year they will never tell you how much they have spent on maintenance or how many year as lost due to rent not paid. if you do simple math in Nigeria Rent is not guarantee

In Nigeria only the politician that steal money and spend on real estate make it look attractive ever wonder why half of the house on the prime area are vacant check Abuja and tell your self truth, more over you don't make more than 10 to 11% as return per year so what the fucking noise about it, even mortgage company charge same so is it worst it not sure

3 Likes

Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by renewable1(m): 12:40pm On Nov 03, 2019
True

8 HOURS ELECTRICITY DAILY FROM THE SUN.. CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Real Estate Never Depreciates: How True? by tonididdy(m): 12:43pm On Nov 03, 2019
land may not depreciate unless for natural disaster reasons like flooding otherwise land appreciates.

tye best real estate investment is hotel and guest houses because a new residential building may depreciate in "looks" over the years and the owner is forced to repaint or sell at a loss just to let the property off his hands.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! / Fairly Used Furniture Someone? / 1 & 2 Bedroom Apartments In Dubai For Sell ( Dream Home)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.