Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal (7613 Views)

JAMB Abolishes UTME Cut-Off Marks / Osun Abolishes Uniform Policy, Cancels Middle Schools / FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by afroniger: 10:50am On Jun 24, 2019
This is rubbish in my opinion. Public schools should have some measure of freedom to independently raise funds through some levies without total dependence on govt (as long as they can account for the money spent). It's not as if most parents can't afford N500. Before you know it, common chalk would become scarce in these government schools with this new policy. Seems this guy's just playing to the gallery without any concrete or innovative contribution to governance. Smh.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by yesloaded: 10:58am On Jun 24, 2019
bettercreature:
He is going to destroy education in Oyo state because all these funds are used to pay PTA teachers
They don’t have enough teachers in most public schools
I did not pay a kobo from 1999 till I finished secondary school & system of education is better than what we witnessed under past administration despite the fact that students pays fees
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 24, 2019
bettercreature:
He is going to destroy education in Oyo state because all these funds are used to pay PTA teachers
They don’t have enough teachers in most public schools

More reason he needs to calm down and asses issues well.

I Know he maybe trying to get the love of the masses but he shy also remember to strategically plan.
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 24, 2019
Mk12:
Hmm!
This initial gra gra no too dea move me o.
does the state have funds to sustain all this move?
what makes you believe the state has no fund to sustain the move?
why would he make such move if it cannot be sustained?

you have believed so much lies that you couldn't recognise the truth Anymore.
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Ijawwomaninoyo: 11:18am On Jun 24, 2019
He said Oyo can't pay N30k, now he is scrapping this and that. That means the schools will have to the school board to take chalk, who will even pay the transport fares?
Akala increased salaries and cancelled free education and health.
What they will pay for in the long run? Hmmm
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 24, 2019
gypsey:
what makes you believe the state has no fund to sustain the move?
why would he make such move if it cannot be sustained?

you have believed so much lies that you couldn't recognise the truth Anymore.
how many states in Nigeria have enough fund to run without borrowing?
this will reduce the quality of education because some of the abandoned schools by government are run with those fees. some schools have to provide teachers because government paid teachers are not enough. blackboard,marker,chalks and many other learning material are inadequate in most public schools
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Stillthebest: 11:32am On Jun 24, 2019
Rollins777:
Good example other states should emulate

Gra gra, I don't know about that. But the funds to sustain such yes it is iMportqnt to not commence whay you won't be able to handle. I have never been a supporter of free education but let people pay, considerably, and equip the sector with good facilities and excitement welcoming and conducive enough to facilitate quality education. And thus produce the best next generation leaders of values and standards. Borno state govt is currently doing this.

1 Like

Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by brightalo17: 1:46pm On Jun 24, 2019
Emily22:
This guy will soon unveil his true colour,time will tell
Are you just a witch or u are plainly mad?
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Odetokun3(m): 1:47pm On Jun 24, 2019
This man should keep quiet and stop abolishing hundred naira when politicians are swallowing billion naira.

Despite all his abolishment. Secondary school students in the state are still paying up to #2,000 if not per term self.

Is this the free education you and your fellows received in your own time?

Not as if someone is stealing the money. Some of those students are forced to bring furnitures to class.

Abolishing 500#, 1000#.

It's high time u wake up to task and do the necessary.

What's the hope of the PTA teachers now?

Just painting yourself public and imaginary image.

The sun is still rising. Do something better.

And Truth be told. In this 21st century. People hardly value what they get for free.

Which of our current governors and politicians can even deliver the kind of free education they enjoyed. Let people pay little and get value for it.

Got to know schools are even paying to authority to bring down question papers for students. Posterity will judge u all. They gave u free books, wears, uniform, building, furnitures, qualified teachers, food, biros, bags, etc during your own time.

What did you give our generation as free education.

Almost a month to swear in. Abolishing and abolishing is what we keep hearing even when the neighbors of government house was robbed some days ago.

Deliver something tangible.
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Xclusivedaniel6(m): 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2019
Emily22:
This guy will soon unveil his true colour,time will tell

nothing can satisfy you
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by Hostermipo(m): 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2019
Flashyoil1:
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has abolished N500 examination fee in all secondary schools across the state.
The Head of Service, Mrs. Ololade Agboola, who made this disclosure, urged principals in secondary schools to comply with the free education policy of the state Government.
Agboola spoke during a meeting of the Permanent Secretary School administration with the principals in public secondary Schools held at comprehensive High School Oke-Bola Ibadan.
The Head of Service admonished teachers and principals of the secondary schools to comply with the education policy of the present administration in the State.
Agboola said (Five Hundred Naira) examination fee across the secondary schools in the State have been abolished, warning that no Principal should send student away from the school.
She said, “I have the directive of His Excellency Governor Seyi Makinde to discuss with you today, the school principals on how we can move the secondary school education forward in Oyo State”.
She said the present administration in the State under Governor Seyi Makinde has put an end to the Education Development Levy for all secondary School students, declaring it as illegal.
She opined that the State Government will create call centers where parents and the general public will report school that refuse to stop collecting illegal fee, just as she advised Principals of Secondary Schools to stop collecting fees that have not been approved by the State Government.
She then appealed to teachers to always stay in their duty posts, saying that the present administration will not tolerate lateness and absenteeism in the school, just as she solicited support for the state government in carrying out its education policy in the state

Read more here https://thickmatch.com/oyo-makinde-abolishes-n500-examination-fee-declares-education-levy-illegal/
I think the governor should be careful, he can remove all the fees if he is ready to fund all the schools properly...same was done in Osun state and no fund was gotten from the government which leaves the schools with no money to print exam papers, exams questions were written on the board

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by follock007(m): 2:22pm On Jun 24, 2019
Oh! am i still tilling the soil?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by teabing: 3:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Some people here been giving some wrong judgment, those money are not well spent after collection. Beside how much will it cost the state government to print examination papers and answer's script to student? Dis man go do well i swear
Re: Oyo State Abolishes N500 Examination Fee, Declares Education Levy Illegal by JOTE(m): 7:06pm On Jun 24, 2019
oluwaseyi000:

Scrapping all form of levies in school is a big NO for me, their move is more of political than interest of the people
school needs some resources to run and function, waiting for Nigeria government to bring chalk and money to buy Jersey for the school team won't work, I remember when I was in secondary school after scrapping all fees by Amosun there is no money to travel to neighbouring school for competition, chalk will only arrive after 3rd week of resumption

Exactly

except the government will be allocating money to public schools to run their daily activities

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oau Eportal Opens For Registration / What Are Social Science Subjects In Secondary School..help / The Effect Of Student Housing Conditions On Academic Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.