Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Call To Nairalanders In The Us - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Call To Nairalanders In The Us (4493 Views)

A Thread For Nairalanders In India. / Thanksgiving Party In Dallas: Inviting All Nairalanders In The Proximity / Any Nairalanders In Poland.please Sign In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by tsmith(f): 3:35pm On Oct 26, 2010
Hey Mafe,

greatest Osuaite. (now UNADITE).

I graduated from the UNAD (2000) and i know where the OROKU comes from. UNADITEs are doing great things and moving things, so i get your drift. Also i feel your plight, as I know and understand when there is a stumbling block form your dreams.

I make you an offer, i will pay for your ticket and give you 1 year to ay back. if you don't tough luck on you. email me, or send your number so i call you. Only thing is I will pay it myself and will only accept flights offered on Opodo.

have ver few posts my email addy is tucked somewhere in between.

I hope with this you are able to fly and achieve your destined potential.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by tsmith(f): 3:39pm On Oct 26, 2010
youmust.behaving@laugh.com
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 10:20am On Oct 27, 2010
@ JeSoul

Thank you so much. I just checked my inbox here. I just forwarded an ID of myself to your e-mail. I would want you to do a follow up of it from The US Department Of State.

Did you read the next post by tsmith. Gosh! I am so excited

@tsmith

Greatest UNADITE!

I am glad to know that you are also a graduate of this great institution. Yes, UNADITEs are doing great things and moving things. It used to be called "OROKULAND" from Town to Iworoko land. Then it became "UNIHARD", University of Hard Knocks.Now,everything has changed. Thanks to the UNAD VC Prof. Dipo Kolawole.

I am so excited by your offer. May Jehovah replenish you.I have sent my mobile number to your e-mail. Thanks
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by JeSoul(f): 2:08pm On Oct 29, 2010
tsmith that is very generous of you. Mafe, I hope you will do the Nigerian name right and proud by being honest and repaying the kindness of a stranger. Remember, you reap what you sow.

Mafe, I got your email. Please keep me updated on what your status/situation is. Feel free to update us all here on this thread as I'd like to keep it an open record for all to see and perhaps take something good away.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by Busybody2(f): 7:31pm On Oct 29, 2010
JeSoul:

Believe it or not, it is possible. Just that the interest rate will be very high.

Mafe, check your inbox.

Yes might get some storecards but is it the norm? Besides how likely is this to happen since America is not yet out of the unregulated reckless lending practises such as this, which once brought it to its knees undecided

Besides, the reason i highlighted his post was his wide off the mark impression that a "virgin" SSN automatically means a perfect credit score. The dude is venturing into territories unknown and unchartered to him, and the last thing he needs is misinformation, but rather useful information to help him keep his head above the water until he finds his feet cool

Please kindly do a favour and edit his personal information you quoted in your post on the previous page, before someone already on the ground goes behind his back to lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed .
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by JeSoul(f): 8:30pm On Oct 29, 2010
Busy_body:
Yes might get some storecards but is it the norm? Besides how likely is this to happen since America is not yet out of the unregulated reckless lending practises such as this, which once brought it to its knees undecided
About 6yrs ago my lil brother actually got a card without any proof of income or credit history - one of those companies who send applications incessantly through the mail. I was very suprised. But you are right when you say this:

Besides, the reason i highlighted his post was his wide off the mark impression that a "virgin" SSN automatically means a perfect credit score. The dude is venturing into territories unknown and unchartered to him, and the last thing he needs is misinformation, but rather useful information to help him keep his head above the water until he finds his feet cool
1000% right and I second fully. Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it.

Please kindly do a favour and edit his personal information you quoted in your post on the previous page, before someone already on the ground goes behind his back to lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed .
Thanks for pointing that out too. One can never be too careful. I will fix asap.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by Busybody2(f): 10:23pm On Oct 29, 2010
^^^

I understand where you are coming from, but you've got to respect the fact that "credit crunch" only happened in August 2007. . .Thanks for understanding.

I have been in touch with the OP and i wish him all the best, but it would be sad for him to end up in US disillusioned and destitute, hence reason he needs to open his eyes to the real deal about America now. I have lived in the States too and the first time i went there, i commented that people must be rich as they were always chucking out nearly new furnitures and as if on cue, no one said anything.

We went out one day and came back to a commotion, and i asked what the matter was, and my friends told me the Managing Agent was carrying out eviction of a block of apartment with 19 out of the 24 apartments being evicted at the same time shocked Then it dawned on me the reason those furnitures i was always seeing everywhere, and this was in 1997, so you can imagine now with the credit crunch and people losing their jobs enmasse.

The most painful part was that some of these people were at work or school when these eviction took place, so those people would come back to see their worldly possession with half their things stolen and the locks changed cry cry cry I also hear stories of Nigerians without a roof over their head sleeping in Subways and Metro Stations to survive cry I will be playing host to a friend of mine next month from the USA until he gets his bearings right, he too was born and bred in the US but he lost his Professional job last week and will lose the roof over his head without another one. He also just exhausted his savings treating his Mum(who developed cancer when she came to visit him), but thankfully she is in remission. LIFE cry cry cry
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by tsmith(f): 2:46am On Oct 30, 2010
Me thinks Mafe is on the right track with the couch surfers and also the work/free boarding plan. Better still, it is his field and future career path, so the experience would not be lost. Moreover such lil' & humble beginnings helps mould one for the future. I remember when i landed the UK more than 5 years ago with only £250 and no confirmed roof over my head and half of my fees debt still outstanding.

The credit card/store card thing might be a good idea, but not a real good start to build up debts without a real means of paying back, but sometimes man most survive.

Mafe has been in touch and hopefully we should conclude and purchase the ticket today.

What impressed me most with him, is the amount of homework he's done. Many ppl, youths and even adults ssef don't have a clue or worthy business case or plan for their lives. It really sucks, when i get requests such as " help me find a school" etc. I'm like doh have you heard of the internet? It's not just for facebook.

Also, many suffer in silence. I for one believe i dont know where or how  my next miracle lies, or need would be met, but i am always certain God has released it, thus i use  all quarters and opportunities. He has a need and "shouted", tabling his case to all and sundry on NLand God knows where else. Maybe i see a bit of me in him, who knows?

Believe me, it pinches, but even my husband who thinks I'm sometimes too spontaneous has my back on this one!

At his "legal service" offer - Pity I am not in the US, and he isn't a female, could have done with some childminding services, LOL

Je'Soul - What are you trying to organise for him? Accomodation? Could be a real blessing if he has such soft landing, but otherwise MAn will always survive one way or the other.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by GideonG(m): 12:32am On Oct 31, 2010
They whole thing in this thread inspired me.
If Mafe was somebody else he would have bee discouraged
and probably gave up due to the initial reply he has been getting from people.

But because he knows the stuff he's made of and he knows exactly where he is going,

I wanna thank the 2 people that responded positively to the guy.

I have learned a lot from this place.

Thank you
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by InesQor(m): 6:45am On Oct 31, 2010
@JeSoul: Howdee? sad I tried and tried to call you, sis. . . Inbox me your new number if it changed please. . .
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2010
@ GideonG

Thanks for your thots. I know for sure that there is "always a silver lining in the midst of any storm"

In this life, you can't just afford to quit. I have the Nigerian(Never Say Die Hustler Spirit) to thank for that.

Actually 3 people: Busy_body, tsmith and JeSoul kept me going. God bless them all. God bless you too
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2010
@ JeSoul

I haven't heard from you for a while.I hope all is well. I sent a message to your e-mail address.

Thanks to GOD and tsmith,I will be leaving for the States on December 1st.The destination is for Washington DC.

Concerning the personal message you sent to me,you think you could help me with temporary accomodation in Washington DC. I am still searching for one @ Hospitalityclub.org and Couchsurfing.org.

Thanks as always.

David
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by JeSoul(f): 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2010
InesQor:

@JeSoul: Howdee? sad I tried and tried to call you, sis. . . Inbox me your new number if it changed please. . .
Inesqor no vex my brother. I'm sorry I missed the calls. I didn't see the number though, please try soon again and definitely leave me a msg with your number if I miss it so I can call you back. I disabled receiving texts on my phone so sorry if you tried to send that as well.

tsmith, you are awesome beyond awesome. Thanks for extending a hand to Mafe, we always reap what we sow and may yours be 1000-fold.

Gideon, I am glad you're taking something good away from this thread smiley

Now Mafe,
     As soon as I saw your msg on this thread, I got on the phone and called my friend. I think it is beyond providence that you will be landing in DC as that is where my friend lives and works. Her job in govt/non-profit opportunes her to have extensive contacts and know all kinds of organizations. I mentioned you want to volunteer to get on your feet first, and need a place to stay - good news - in her exact words "DC loves volunteers! don't worry, we will find something for him to do, and housing for him to stay"  smiley The only issue may be the short time (as you'll be arriving in just a few weeks). She asked me to forward her email/number to you so you can discuss with her the options available. I will send details to your inbox . . .

Now that being said, mafe, please do the nigerian name & our names proud by being straight once you get there. I refered to you as a friend when I spoke to her and I know she will do everything within her power to make sure you're taken care of. She is a very very dear friend to me and it will break my heart if I am responsible for any wrong thing that befalls her. Do not make tsmith and myself regret helping you.

^that also being said, please do not thank me until you're safe in DC and have a roof over your head. I'll send you an email by tonight or tomorrow. Godbless brother.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by JeSoul(f): 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2010
oh and also, I did not get the email you said you sent to my yahoo acct. Please resend, thanks.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by GideonG(m): 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2010
You guys are making me proud, I mean very proud of my Country.
Thanks.
Wu na too much jare.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 7:32pm On Nov 06, 2010
@ JeSoul

I can describe the way I feel inside my soul. My eyes are glistening with tears. Indeed the patient dog eats the fattest bone.

You know, I am still the son of an immigrant to the US, that's how they'll address me.
So,I have the responsibility of joining other sons and daughters of Nigeria to make the name of Nigeria Great again.Nigeria flows in my veins.I can't escape it.I surely have my own account to give to GOD Almighty. By God's Special Grace,I SHALL not do anything to tarnish your and our collective image as a people.

Thank you so much for your warmth and love. I'll always remember all of you and your bloodlines for this great act of kindness.

May GOD bless you all.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by zubeyr(m): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2010
Mafe your story I think is genuine I will be glad to offer you a Job in N Y City if you are interested Good luck
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 9:34am On Nov 08, 2010
@JeSoul

I just read your last post once again.

@Zubeyr

Thank you very much for your kind offer.May God reward you all and touch your lives where the shoe pinches.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by JeSoul(f): 2:55pm On Nov 08, 2010
Busybody, Godbless you for your kindness to David smiley.

David,
mafe23:

@ JeSoul

I can describe the way I feel inside my soul. My eyes are glistening with tears. Indeed the patient dog eats the fattest bone.

You know, I am still the son of an immigrant to the US, that's how they'll address me.
So,I have the responsibility of joining other sons and daughters of Nigeria to make the name of Nigeria Great again.Nigeria flows in my veins.I can't escape it.I surely have my own account to give to GOD Almighty. By God's Special Grace,I SHALL not do anything to tarnish your and our collective image as a people.

I sent an e-mail to :hollarissa@yahoo.com. Isn't that your e-mail. Kindly send your message to aiyesweet@gmail.com for confirmation. mobile no:+2348032421125

Thank you so much for your warmth and love. I'll always remember all of you and your bloodlines for this great act of kindness.

May GOD bless you all.
No problem my dear. I sent you the details using my other email address. You can reply there in the future as its my main account. Keep us all updated on how things are going okay? Godbless.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 10:04am On Nov 09, 2010
@JeSoul

I just read the mail you sent.

I just sent an e-mail to her.

I'll keep your posted on further developments.

Thank you.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by Lacrissa: 9:24am On Nov 12, 2010
zubeyr:

Mafe your story I think is genuine I will be glad to offer you a Job in N Y City if you are interested Good luck

If I may ask, what kind of job? I might be interested.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 4:40pm On Nov 12, 2010
@ Zubeyr

Actually Lacrissa beat me to the same question.

@JeSoul

I sent an urgent e-mail to you. Please reply soonest. Thanks
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by WAVixen: 3:21pm On Nov 13, 2010
there is another scam going on with a guy claiming to be born in the UK and left before he was issused his passport. PARDON MY SPANNER IN THE WORKS FOR THOSE GENINUE PEOPLE NEEDING HELP. Be wise all.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2010
I read all what my fellow Nigerians have been posting, Well, It so joyful been a Nigerian i still cant believe my eyes that we have such a lovely citizens in the USA

One reason Nigerians go into scam is because of hardship here at least you all know that,Imagine a situation when u search for a job or you been insulted cause you don't have a job,it so painful sometimes u go on tears.
There is this parable that says (when u r up u don't normally knows what i happening at the tail

Pls All of you out there given any form of assistance to the poster May God bless you all
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by WAVixen: 12:49pm On Nov 14, 2010
be wise all, these sob stories will continue. Knowing how dubious our fellow brothers/sisters can be and the true situations honest people might be in, how do you draw the line to substantiate the true ones in need
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by Busybody2(f): 1:40am On Nov 15, 2010
WAVixen:

be wise all, these sob stories will continue. Knowing how dubious our fellow brothers/sisters can be and the true situations honest people might be in, how do you draw the line to substantiate the true ones in need

The fact that there are fake currencies around does not mean you stop spending money cool Let go and let God be the judge wink
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by mafe23(m): 11:40am On Nov 17, 2010
zubeyr:

I still haven't heard anything from you as regards your kind offer.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by tsmith(f): 12:44pm On Nov 17, 2010
zubeyr:

Zubeyr - Any lights on the job offer? Please don't take his lack of ethusiasm as a NO, but rather as youthful exuberance or more like ignorance of the world ahead, where many are jostling for the few positions, therefore all opportunities most be followed up till it runs cold. I would be thrilled if you are still wiling to help and maybe a bit of icing on the cake by throwing in accommodation as well. grin grin grin

MAfe - i suggest you get Zubeyr contact details and follow up extensively offline. Despite your willingness for volunteer work, you would need a paid job to keep body and soul together.

ALL - Any NLers in the Washington, Maryland, Baltimore, Virginia area willing to offer any form of help; pick up a brother from Dulles airport on 2nd December, accommodation for a couple of days, weeks or even share board or any form of help that we all know a JJC to town will need, having it in mind that God sees and knows all. He will bless you richly for your help and inconvenience(s), knowing your inner most needs and ensuring that these are met.

I bet some ppl might ask whc one is mine own? But as i have helped in d lil' way i could, i have taken MAFE's case as my cross to bear or say pet project, LOL. But really i strive to ensure anything I am involved in turns out a success.

In all, i bet everyone wishes for a happy sojourn when we can all look back and be proud of the community help. May i say a big thank you to Jesoul,  Busybody, d anonymous donor, contributors, silent readers and all!

(PS, everyone should bear with me if my post is filled with typos, as d screen keeps flicking, makes proof reading a hugh task, moreover, i have got my "baby" head on today, so not communication in adult language)
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by kanmi22(f): 1:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
hmhmhm, interestin, i would have love to help but i am a student and they dont allow overnight guest at my school dorm, Allah knows that i would have love to help with atleast accomodation, OMG, Touching.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by r231(m): 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2010
i am proud of you guys

God bless you all
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by JeSoul(f): 7:14pm On Nov 17, 2010
tsmith:

MAfe - i suggest you get Zubeyr contact details and follow up extensively offline. Despite your willingness for volunteer work, you would need a paid job to keep body and soul together

ALL - Any NLers in the Washington, Maryland, Baltimore, Virginia area willing to offer any form of help; pick up a brother from Dulles airport on 2nd December, accommodation for a couple of days, weeks or even share board or any form of help that we all know a JJC to town will need, having it in mind that God sees and knows all. He will bless you richly for your help and inconvenience(s), knowing your inner most needs and ensuring that these are met.

I bet some ppl might ask whc one is mine own? But as i have helped in d lil' way i could, i have taken MAFE's case as my cross to bear or say pet project, LOL. But really i strive to ensure anything I am involved in turns out a success.

In all, i bet everyone wishes for a happy sojourn when we can all look back and be proud of the community help. May i say a big thank you to Jesoul, Busybody, d anonymous donor, contributors, silent readers and all!

(PS, everyone should bear with me if my post is filled with typos, as d screen keeps flicking, makes proof reading a hugh task, moreover, i have got my "baby" head on today, so not communication in adult language)
Tsmith thanks for your dedication and help to Mafe, may your star never cease to shine well.

It hasn't gone as easily as I hoped finding something for Mafe but in spite of that I am certain we will figure it out. I have told him not to worry that I'll do everything within my power to make sure he's not left helpless in DC. TSmith, like you, I have taken his case personal too. Worst case he will come over to Boston where I can help him directly navigate getting planted - SSN, ID, search for jobs etc . . . those who want to still help, mafe could still use funds!

Thanks to everyone esp tsmith, BB.
Re: Call To Nairalanders In The Us by tsmith(f): 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2010
Hey Jesoul, sure, i am aware of all your leg work, more grease.

I understand how dauting it can be soliciting help for a 3rd party, but things would surely fall into place for certain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Do I Need To Leave This Country / Nigerian Man Asks To Be Deported, Canadian Immigration Agencies Decline (photos) / Travel From Abuja To Illoko-ilesa Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.