Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,583 members, 7,837,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? (4393 Views)

Sodomy Vs Incest, Which Does God Prefer? / Will It Be Moral To Make Clones For Organ Harvesting? / Does The Moral Law(10 commandments) Remain Against The Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by AgentOfAllah: 2:39pm On Jun 27, 2019
liberalchick:
Apples and oranges. One is a sexual gratification causing injury to a living animal. The other is killing an animal for survival. One is rape the other is humans being part of a food chain. Ethical vegetarians/vegans might argue killing animals is inhumane but at least most people do it for survival.

On what basis do you claim that most meat eaters eat it for survival? Yes, people 'eat' for survival, but there is a panoply of cheaply and readily available food options most people could survive on other than animal meat.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by AgentOfAllah: 2:43pm On Jun 27, 2019
fieryy:

Offsprings with close relatives increases the risk of genetic and birth defects by significant amount in just one family. That's the reason why it's illegal in most countries.

The problem of kids being disabled might bkt be a moral problem, but you having a relationship with someone knowing the risks and implications that come with it, is a moral one.

But yes not every sexual relationship leads to pregnancy BUT every sexual relationship CAN lead to one.

I doubt every sexual relationship can lead to pregnancy. Homosexual relationships can't!

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2019
AgentOfAllah:

I doubt every sexual relationship can lead to pregnancy. Homosexual relationships can't!

Lol, well you got me there grin

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Greatzeus(m): 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2019
In the book of Joshua, chapter 12 I think,Caleb a 85 year old veteran told his tribe men(Tribe of Judah) that anyone who takes a particular land(God gave him a special gift due to his faithfulness 40 years ago in form of a city) given to him that he will give that person his daughter to marry,it was his Junior brother who did,and he Caleb gave his Junior brother his daughter to marry.
That time,God asked Children of Isreal not to marry idolaters, which they have to marry within themselves since all other nations are idol worshippers.
But now,you can not do that,you have no excuse since there are billions of opposite sex in the world.

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 3:46pm On Jun 27, 2019
fieryy:

Offsprings with close relatives increases the risk of genetic and birth defects by significant amount in just one family. That's the reason why it's illegal in most countries.
True

The problem of kids being disabled might bkt be a moral problem, but you having a relationship with someone knowing the risks and implications that come with it, is a moral one.
If the implication is a moral one.

This is how something works for a philosophical problem.

If you posit a claim
You establish the logical train of thought behind it.

But yes not every sexual relationship leads to pregnancy BUT every sexual relationship CAN lead to one.

This is the implication:
Your argument is built around the morality of a Union that is likely to create a defective child

Primary premise: Being in a union that will produce a defective child is immoral

Secondary premise: This Daughter and father have a Union where they have taken measures that make pregnancy impossible - Is it still immoral?

Secondary premise 2: This two unrelated couple are AS genotype, is their sexual relationship therefore immoral?

You see? Your premise didn't really fault the act of incest, it faults the consequence hence when you eliminate this consequence, can you still say it is immoral? When this consequence is observed in a non-incestous relationship, is it still immoral?

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 3:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
Olorunnim:
It's not moral to have such child when you know the implications of your actions but people still do
You are assuming the implication bears a moral weight
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by liberalchick(f): 4:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
I don’t want to derail the thread further.

Yes that may be your wish, but that is not the reality. Humans from other parts of the world still get their nutrition from animals or animal products (e.g eggs). We are still part of the food chain. Maybe in the future humans will learn/develop to rely less on animals for food but we are not there yet.

Abstaining from eating meat or animal products is a privilege.

How many economies in the world are developed enough to create an agricultural system that completely replaces the nutrients we get from animals? Even Hindus that don’t eat meat for religious reasons, only the upper-class exclusively avoid eating meat, fish and eggs. Even those that strictly avoid eating meat, fish and eggs, most still consume milk. They are lactovegetarian.

AgentOfAllah:

On what basis do you claim that most meat eaters eat it for survival? Yes, people 'eat' for survival, but there is a panoply of cheaply and readily available food options most people could survive on other than animal meat.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 27, 2019
johnydon22:
True

If the implication is a moral one.

This is how something works for a philosophical problem.

If you posit a claim
You establish the logical train of thought behind it.

This is the implication:
Your argument is built around the morality of a Union that is likely to create a defective child

Primary premise: Being in a union that will produce a defective child is immoral

Secondary premise: This Daughter and father have a Union where they have taken measures that make pregnancy impossible - Is it still immoral?

Secondary premise 2: This two unrelated couple are AS genotype, is their sexual relationship therefore immoral?

You see? Your premise didn't really fault the act of incest, it faults the consequence hence when you eliminate this consequence, can you still say it is immoral? When this consequence is observed in a non-incestous relationship, is it still immoral?

1) My premise didn't fault the ACT of the incest because that's not what I care about. What I care about are the CONSEQUENCES that follow such acts, which is why my initial post criticized the CONSEQUENCES.

AND

2) Yes, I do believe a sexual relationship between two AS individuals, who have the intention of having a child is immoral. Just because it isn't illegal doesn't mean I do not consider immoral.
My reasons for this have already been stated, since the consequences will obviously be the same as that of an incest.

3) Incest is an act that had been practiced for a long time in human history, but has become illegal during the last few centuries in most countries. Royals practiced incest as means of perpetuating the royal lineage. In fact incest only became illegal in England in 1908. This however does not mean it's not practised in some countries. There are lot of immigrants from Pakistan or India here married to their cousins. 59 per cent of marriages in Pakistan continue to be between first cousins

I dont think it (incest) became illegal because people thought it was morally wrong, but because of the consequences that come with it. The people simply became more educated.

4) Although incests were acceptable a long time ago, sexual relations with a first-degree relative have usually always been forbidden and frowned upon in most cultures. To be honest, I (like most) people consider a sexual relationship with a 1st degree relative absolutely disgusting.
I believe this has more to do with the natural selection than it being "morally wrong". People usually are not sexually attracted to close relatives. And in this case, I believe culture dictates the law rather than people thinking it's going to result into genetic disorders

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by BuhBye: 3:30pm On Jul 01, 2019
Power Dynamics. A parent falling in love with their child and essentially grooming them from an early age to see the parent as a lover.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by sanpipita(m): 12:34am On Jul 02, 2019
BuhBye:
Power Dynamics. A parent falling in love with their child and essentially grooming them from an early age to see the parent as a lover.

Good point, grooming which is pretty wrong really, given we can't tell if a child really wanted to be incestous in not for a parent influencing it on him or her

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by CoolUsername: 4:41am On Jul 02, 2019
Depends.

Cousin-on-cousin relationships have a very low chance of causing deformities as long as it doesn't repeat itself over successive generations. So while it may be disgusting depending on how close the families are. I don't think it is morally wrong. A lot cultures don't even consider this incest.

Sibling-on-sibling incest has a very high chance of causing genetic deformities. Close relatives produce pheromones to kill sexual attraction from family members. Meaning that the stigma is pretty much hardwired into our biology. My verdict is that it is high-risk, irresponsible, and deviant behaviour and therefore, morally wrong. A complete no-no

Parent-child incest is extremely immoral. It has all the negatives of the other types of incest plus the added factor of a major power imbalance, where a patent can from an impressionable child for sex.

2 Likes

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 10:32am On Jul 02, 2019
CoolUsername:
Depends.

Cousin-on-cousin relationships have a very low chance of causing deformities as long as it doesn't repeat itself over successive generations. So while it may be disgusting depending on how close the families are. I don't think it is morally wrong. A lot cultures don't even consider this incest.

Sibling-on-sibling incest has a very high chance of causing genetic deformities. Close relatives produce pheromones to kill sexual attraction from family members. Meaning that the stigma is pretty much hardwired into our biology. My verdict is that it is high-risk, irresponsible, and deviant behaviour and therefore, morally wrong. A complete no-no

I have two problems with this, say questions.

Your verdict condemns the act based on possible consequence it promises.

Now take these instances;

1. Is it then morally wrong for an AS genotype individual to have sex someone of likewise genotype?

2. In the absence of possibility of pregnancy, is incest then right?

Parent-child incest is extremely immoral. It has all the negatives of the other types of incest plus the added factor of a major power imbalance, where a patent can from an impressionable child for sex.
And if this child wasn't groomed in this sense? Simply developed a form of sexual attraction for the parent in question like every normal person having lustful feelings. Would it be wrong still?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by tjmc: 10:45am On Jul 02, 2019
tartar9:
Well,if you think homosexuality isnt wrong and support gay rights then incest or bestiality shouldn't be wrong either.Live and let live,isnt it undecided

Homosexuality is practiced by consenting adults

Incest is morally and anyway you see it WRONG.

Why would you have a carnal knowledge of someone who is not mentally, physically and emotionally mature or ready for se.

If you see nothing wrong with incest, then bring your daughter below 16 so guys who are older(24-40yrs) would have carnal knowledge of her
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by CoolUsername: 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2019
johnydon22:

I have two problems with this, say questions.

Your verdict condemns the act based on possible consequence it promises.

Now take these instances;

1. Is it then morally wrong for an AS genotype individual to have sex someone of likewise genotype?

Yes! It will irresponsible and immoral to engage in a long term sexual relationship with another sickle cell carrier with full knowledge of your status without taking extra precautions to prevent pregnancy.

johnydon22:

2. In the absence of possibility of pregnancy, is incest then right?

No, because of the power imbalances inherent in family dynamics between parents and children and also between siblings.
Because there are literally billions of other potential mates for a given individual, to break the preventative evolutionary mechanisms to engage in such risky behaviour constitutes immoral behaviour. Also, because it is frowned upon in most cultures.

johnydon22:

And if this child wasn't groomed in this sense? Simply developed a form of sexual attraction for the parent in question like every normal person having lustful feelings. Would it be wrong still?

Is that even possible to determine? If an 18 year old suddenly decides to start screwing their parent that idea probably didn't pop into their head at 18 and it would be impossible to determine exactly when and how it popped up.

Now let's remember that these feelings themselves, while disgusting to me, aren't inherently immoral but rather, acting upon them cause all the issues.

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Evangkatsoulis: 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2019
fieryy:
Oh my gosh, seriously?
Do you want your kids to be disabled?!
disabled how?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Evangkatsoulis: 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2019
MrPresident1:

Incest may allow recessive deleterious traits to express themselves.

Why place a burden on anyone? On the person in whom the trait is expressed and on the people who will be forced to take care of the person?

This is morally wrong.

So what is the probably that a child got from incest will develop a 'deletertious' trait? Or what is the probability that the siblings have the same defective recessive gene?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2019
CoolUsername:

Yes! It will irresponsible and immoral to engage in a long term sexual relationship with another sickle cell carrier with full knowledge of your status without taking extra precautions to prevent pregnancy.
I didn't say long term relationship, I said "Have sex"

No, because of the power imbalances inherent in family dynamics between parents and children and also between siblings.
You are arguing now that sex can't be consensual between two individuals with apparent social disparity?

Because there are literally billions of other potential mates for a given individual, to break the preventative evolutionary mechanisms to engage in such risky behaviour constitutes immoral behaviour. Also, because it is frowned upon in most cultures.
Something been frowned upon in many cultures doesn't necessarily make it wrong, surely?

Or are you arguing that it does?

Is that even possible to determine?

If an 18 year old suddenly decides to start screwing their parent that idea probably didn't pop into their head at 18 and it would be impossible to determine exactly when and how it popped up.
Whether you can determine it isn't the problem, moreover you can't determine I'm not being blackmailed to date my girlfriend right now.

By the way, whether it can be determined isn't the question here, the question first assumes a child developed a form of sexual attraction for a parent (which by the way is possible) and now asks you if given your premise, this would still be immoral?

Now let's remember that these feelings themselves, while disgusting to me, aren't inherently immoral but rather, acting upon them cause all the issues.
We are vetting your reasons why acting on them is a problem
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 5:21pm On Jul 02, 2019
tjmc:

Homosexuality is practiced by consenting adults
Incest can be likewise.

Incest is morally and anyway you see it WRONG.
Ok, we'll see your reasons

Why would you have a carnal knowledge of someone who is not mentally, physically and emotionally mature or ready for se.
Incest isn't pedophilia, incest happens between adults only that they are related

If you see nothing wrong with incest, then bring your daughter below 16 so guys who are older(24-40yrs) would have carnal knowledge of her
Are you sure you know what incest is? What you are describing is pedophilia.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by CoolUsername: 7:00pm On Jul 02, 2019
johnydon22:
I didn't say long term relationship, I said "Have sex"

A one-off sexual encounter with necessary precautions is almost totally risk-free. So that wont be a problem.

johnydon22:

You are arguing now that sex can't be consensual between two individuals with apparent social disparity?

Not in general society. But when in any insulated system such as the workplace (dating the boss), school (dating the teacher), or a family it becomes a problem.

johnydon22:

Something been frowned upon in many cultures doesn't necessarily make it wrong, surely?

Or are you arguing that it does?

Basically. If it's frowned upon in most places then it's generally considered immoral. Whether the justification is logical or not the fact remains.

johnydon22:

Whether you can determine it isn't the problem, moreover you can't determine I'm not being blackmailed to date my girlfriend right now.

I think it is immoral to raise a child for sex. It's simple cause and effect, what are the odds that you raise a child and the child grows up to be into you and you so happen to be into the them? It sounds like grooming no matter how I look at it.

johnydon22:

By the way, whether it can be determined isn't the question here, the question first assumes a child developed a form of sexual attraction for a parent (which by the way is possible) and now asks you if given your premise, this would still be immoral?

In this case, I'll just believe the child is a victim of pedophilic grooming if the adult reciprocates.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by AgentOfAllah: 7:01pm On Jul 02, 2019
johnydon22:
I was wondering the same. So a boss cannot develop consensual relation with their subordinates and a rich person can only be in a relationship with someone in their social class. The immoral crap we get away with in society, eh!?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by 0temSapien: 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2019
We are humans, we decide how we want our living to be. If there's no constitional law against incest, then it shouldn't be seen as wrong.
To say that incest is wrong or right is subjective. We can only make it wrong by making a law which declares it wrong. Incest was a norm in the past, but these days, it isn't a norm anymore.

Incest is neither right nor wrong, but it is not a norm at the moment. Could be a norm in the future anyway.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Image123(m): 8:36pm On Jul 02, 2019
What does an atheist have to do with morality. Morality is not your whims and caprices. I feel good about going to school, therefore it is moral to go to school. That's your concept of morality in summary and changes with time and person. Children of God base morality on God and His Word.
So according to the Bible, incest is an immoral thing to do. The Word of God has not changed stance concerning it. For atheists, its okay once mother and son consent or brother and brother. To them, it makes sense, so it must be moral. More like kindergartens playing with a physics textbook.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by MrPresident1: 9:46pm On Jul 02, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

So what is the probably that a child got from incest will develop a 'deletertious' trait? Or what is the probability that the siblings have the same defective recessive gene?

A higher probability than if the child is not from Incest.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 12:51am On Jul 03, 2019
CoolUsername:

A one-off sexual encounter with necessary precautions is almost totally risk-free. So that wont be a problem.

So, the action isn't morally wrong. The possible consequence thereof is the problem that should be avoided?

Isn't that a medical problem?

Not in general society. But when in any insulated system such as the workplace (dating the boss), school (dating the teacher), or a family it becomes a problem.

So, a boss and employee can't have consensual sex because they both genuinely want to bang each other?

I disgaree

Basically. If it's frowned upon in most places then it's generally considered immoral. Whether the justification is logical or not the fact remains.
Homosexuality is immoral then we agree?

I think it is immoral to raise a child for sex. It's simple cause and effect, what are the odds that you raise a child and the child grows up to be into you and you so happen to be into the them? It sounds like grooming no matter how I look at it.
You are veering off the fundamental assumption the question makes thereby talking about something totally different.

The question is based on the assumption that this child (doesn't mean a kid) genuinely developed sexual attraction towards a parent and it is reciprocated.

Whether you think this is likely or not is frankly inconsequential to the question.

In this case, I'll just believe the child is a victim of pedophilic grooming if the adult reciprocates.
Actually, the question factors also on the ground that they are both adults.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 12:53am On Jul 03, 2019
AgentOfAllah:

I was wondering the same. So a boss cannot develop consensual relation with their subordinates and a rich person can only be in a relationship with someone in their social class. The immoral crap we get away with in society, eh!?

I happen to think it is nonsensical.

I think humans are consistently coming up with ridiculous ideas these days that infantalises and rids some demographs of personal responsibility and it is absolute rubbish
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by budaatum: 2:07am On Jul 03, 2019
johnydon22:
So, let's see how this moral question can be effectively treated.

Is incest morally wrong?

If Yes.

Why is it morally wrong?

If, No.

Why?

It is amusing that you chose to hold incest up to a moral light when it has nothing whatsoever to do with morality but just is the right think to do considering the intersubjective understanding of the available evidence. (Yeah! I used your word).

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Evangkatsoulis: 7:15am On Jul 03, 2019
MrPresident1:

A higher probability than if the child is not from Incest.
lol how much higher? Show some math bro.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by LordReed(m): 8:54am On Jul 03, 2019
The basis of my morality is well being, for myself and then for the rest of humanity. So I will look at the issue from that stand point. The act itself is sexual relations between members of a nuclear family, what harm does sexual relations cause? Aside from spread of disease there is no specific harm that this causes. If on the other hand these incestuous sexual relationships are geared toward producing offspring then a lot of harm is being perpetuated, to the offspring primarily and potentially to the larger society. In other words incestuous sexual relationships are not morally wrong but offspring of incestuous sexual relationships are a moral blight.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by MrPresident1: 9:57am On Jul 03, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

lol how much higher? Show some math bro.

Ok Chief.

Assuming d gene for colour blindness is 25% recessive in 2 siblings, this percentage is not high enough for it to be expressive so it is not expressed in the siblings, they are perfectly fine, with no colour blindness.

But if these 2 siblings mate and produce an offspring, the gene for colour blindness is magnified by 100%, that is, combining the 25% of both parents.

Now in the offspring that these siblings produce, d gene for colour blindness is now 50%, it is no longer recessive, it will now be expressed in this offspring. This is the goal of preventing incest. It weakens the gene pool and allows expression of recessive deleterious traits.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by MrPresident1: 10:04am On Jul 03, 2019
LordReed:
The basis of my morality is well being, for myself and then for the rest of humanity. So I will look at the issue from that stand point. The act itself is sexual relations between members of a nuclear family, what harm does sexual relations cause? Aside from spread of disease there is no specific harm that this causes. If on the other hand these incestuous sexual relationships are geared toward producing offspring then a lot of harm is being perpetuated, to the offspring primarily and potentially to the larger society. In other words incestuous sexual relationships are not morally wrong but offspring of incestuous sexual relationships are a moral blight.

You people should be thinking before you talk. So if your daughter fancies you and you fancy her, as long as relations with her will not produce offspring, you will go ahead
with her?

Anyway, you have answered your own question, your morality is firstly to yourself alone wether offensive or not to society.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by frank317: 10:10am On Jul 03, 2019
Hi Johnny, u didn't respond to my to my input. Let me know what's wrong with my line of thinking... Or give it a counter point... If u chose to ignore it... Then u should have ignored all other points and close the thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by LordReed(m): 10:33am On Jul 03, 2019
MrPresident1:

You people should be thinking before you talk. So if your daughter fancies you and you fancy her, as long as relations with her will not produce offspring, you will go ahead
with her?

Anyway, you have answered your own question, your morality is firstly to yourself alone wether offensive or not to society.

There is a difference between morality and ethics if you must know so no my ethics mean I will not do such a thing even though I do not consider it morally wrong. It is you who should acquire some sense and leave behind ancient fables.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ / Is Jesus No Longer Coming Soon? / Jesus Was Wrong, There Is No Mustard Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.