Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,327 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ (4302 Views)

Is Heaven Made For Christians Only? / Born Again: Many Christians can not answer "YES" to this question. / It Is Not The Law Of Moses But God Himself That Tells Us To Give First Fruit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:58pm On Jun 19, 2021
Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ

When Jesus began His ministry on Earth, He brought with Him a new Law, an upgrade to the Law of Moses, which consisted of a new set of commandments meant to serve as the standard of His church and those of the Kingdom of God which He was going to reinstate on Earth. Matthew 5:21-48.

Jesus also emphasized the keeping of these commandments which made up His Law. The final instruction He gave to His disciples after His resurrection and before His ascension, was to teach all men to observe them.

Matthew 28:19-20 (KJV)

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

However despite the extent to which Jesus emphasized the keeping of His commandments or Law, it's shocking that many Christians were yet ignorant of the fact that Jesus had His own Law or commandments which they are meant to keep. When they hear of anything Law, they mind usually goes back to the Law of Moses.

They appear to turn a blind eye to the commandments of Jesus which are clearly written in the Gospels, because they have been misled to believe that keeping of Laws or commandments could only be associated with Moses not with Christ, which is completely false because Jesus made it mandatory for any follower of His to keep His Law (commandments).

John 8:31(KJV)

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

John 14:21 (KJV)

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Hence anyone who claims a follower of Christ but doesn't keep His Law or the set of commandments which He gave is not a true follower of Christ, but a false disciple.

God bless.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2021
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:29pm On Jun 21, 2021
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 8:48pm On Jun 21, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

They Are One and The Same! One God, One Law, One Baptism, One Spirit.

God of One!
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Kingsnairaland(m): 5:50am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

When Jesus began His ministry on Earth, He brought with Him a new Law, an upgrade to the Law of Moses, which consisted of a new set of commandments meant to serve as the standard of His church and those of the Kingdom of God which He was going to reinstate on Earth. Matthew 5:21-48.

Jesus also emphasized the keeping of these commandments which made up His Law. The final instruction He gave to His disciples after His resurrection and before His ascension, was to teach all men to observe them.

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

However despite the extent to which Jesus emphasized the keeping of His commandments or Law, it's shocking that many Christians were yet ignorant of the fact that Jesus had His own Law or commandments which they are meant to keep. When they hear of anything Law, they mind usually goes back to the Law of Moses.

They appear to turn a blind eye to the commandments of Jesus which are clearly written in the Gospels, because they have been misled to believe that keeping of Laws or commandments could only be associated with Moses not with Christ, which is completely false because Jesus made it mandatory for any follower of His to keep His Law (commandments).

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Hence anyone who claims a follower of Christ but doesn't keep His Law or the set of commandments which He gave is not a true follower of Christ, but a false disciple.

God bless.

You can't keep any laws of God if God does not give you his rightoesness

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by KNOWMORE56: 6:51am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

Give me the list of His commandments THAT SET ASIDE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Note emphasis onTHAT SET ASIDE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by OkCornel(m): 7:33am On Jun 22, 2021
Nice thread!

A little more on the law of Christ;

Galatians 6 v 1-2;

1. Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.

2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:35am On Jun 22, 2021
Kingsnairaland:

Sheer ignorance!

The Laws of God are His righteousness. It's by keeping them that you become His righteousness.

So no man can have the righteousness of God without keeping His Laws.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 7:38am On Jun 22, 2021
Kingsnairaland:

You know that which is right already, that is what The Law has shown you, so do them, if you truly want to.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by perezeghi: 7:42am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

Matt.5.17 - "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
Matt.5.18 - For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

If you miss the understanding of the creation of man,the convenant with Abraham, the Exodus of the Jews........all by God in the Old Testament......then you'll know that Jesus Christ only came to re-emphasize what God commands of man and He did not bring a new law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:51am On Jun 22, 2021
perezeghi:

Matt.5.17 - "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
Matt.5.18 - For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

If you miss the understanding of the creation of man,the convenant with Abraham, the Exodus of the Jews........all by God in the Old Testament......then you'll know that Jesus Christ only came to re-emphasize what God commands of man and He did not bring a new law.

You quoted a verse which you misunderstood the meaning.

If the Law would not pass till all be fulfilled, that suggests it would pass when fulfilled, and Jesus fulfilled the Law so what does that teach you?

By the way, Jesus came to restore what was in the beginning before the Law was. Matthew 19:3-8
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 7:56am On Jun 22, 2021
perezeghi:

Thank you! I have been saying this always.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 8:02am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

If the Law would not pass till all be fulfilled, that suggests it would pass when fulfilled, and Jesus fulfilled the Law so what does that teach you?

By the way, Jesus came to restore what was in the beginning before the Law was. Matthew 19:3-8

See, you skipped the words "till heaven and earth pass away".

And heaven and earth has not yet passed away, which only happens after John's Revelation is Fulfilled.

So you are the one who is wrong!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:06am On Jun 22, 2021
OkCornel:
Nice thread!

Galatians 6 v 1-2;

1. Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.

2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Oh, it's even there in the Bible? I thought I was the first to talk about it, because many only think of grace when it comes to Christ not His Laws. This should be helpful going forward.

Thanks for bringing it out.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:32am On Jun 22, 2021
KNOWMORE56:

Give me the list of His commandments THAT SET ASIDE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Note emphasis onTHAT SET ASIDE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
I wouldn't necessarily say set aside, but upgrade where need be to the Standard of the kingdom of God which He brought, and this is essentially for those of His church.

For instance, concerning the commandment about adultery, Jesus said:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
Matthew 5:27-28 (KJV)

Hence Jesus upgraded or if you like amended that commandment to bring it up to the level God expects of His church and those of the kingdom of God.

God bless.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 9:40am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
I wouldn't necessarily say set aside, but upgrade where need be to the Standard of the kingdom of God which He brought, and this is essentially for those of His church.

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

Hence Jesus upgraded or if you like amended that commandment to bring it up to the level God expects of His church and those of the kingdom of God.

God bless.

It is not an "upgrade" or "amended which Always means "A Change and an Alteration".

Therefore, an amendment in that Law would be, "Thou shalt not commit adultery:" to either "Thou shalt commit adultery:" or "Thou shalt not commit adultery with a married":

Exactly as He Amended the Law of the "Curse of the ground" (in His Heart Only, Genesis 8:21, compared with The First Law, "Cursed is the ground for thy sake". Genesis 3:17.

That is how an Amendment looks like.

Therefore, that is no example of Law of "Amendment" or "Upgrade" as you wrongfully alleged.

It is exactly what you said above, Standard of the kingdom of God which means in Law and for Law (and we are talking about Law) "Commencement and Standard of the Proof of Guilt for the Commission of an Offence Committed"

Disclosure of A Standard of Measurement, is Never an Amendment or Upgradation of A Law.

The Law/ Judge Determines and Sets the Standard, the Standard does not Change or Amend or Create The Law.

The Law Always Comes before the Standard and the Standard Always Follows The Law.

And because you are not A Law'er/Levite as Moses was, you do not Truly comprehend The True import and Message Of Law which Christ delivered, Only Law'ers can as Law'er Paul Proved (except for the fact that he spoke in legal language, which laymen like you can not rightly interpret, as Peter warned)
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by truespeak: 10:28am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

Wrong!

No upgrade or amendment was done to the commandments and the commandment you referred to in an attempt to justify your statement to-wit the commandment on Adultery is not in Any Way an Amendment or Upgrade but a Statement stating the Commencement of the Law, the Extent of the Reach of the Law and the Operation of the Law Prohibiting Adultery!

It does not and cannot constitute an Upgrade/Amendment.

An Amendment Always changes the Law it Amends but the Law of "Thou shalt not commit adultery" which Prohibits adultery, remains the same, with no variation thereof, therefore no change nor amendment.

Therefore you are wrong and this is what happens when non law(y)ers go trying to interpret the law, they must fail exactly as a mechanic carrying out heart surgery, he shall have killed the unfortunate patient!

This is what any True Law(y)er would tell you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by OkCornel(m): 10:57am On Jun 22, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

See, you skipped the words "till heaven and earth pass away".

And heaven and earth has not yet passed away, which only happens after John's Revelation is Fulfilled.

So you are the one who is wrong!

Has Jesus fulfilled the law? Yes or No

If you love God and your neighbor, have you fulfilled the law? Yes or No

To even start with, was the Mosaic Law for the gentiles to start with? Nope, Acts 15 clarifies that already.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by perezeghi: 10:58am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

By the way, Jesus came to restore what was in the beginning before the Law was Matthew 19:3-8

Now you getting it gradually. I don't know what you mean before the Law.
One of the foremost law given to man by God is in ....Gen.1.28 - God blessed them and told them, "Multiply and fill the earth and subdue it. Be masters over the fish and birds and all the animals."

The bolded there says it all. God was referring to man to repopulate the earth with godly children and what best way do you think man can go about it............
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by KNOWMORE56: 11:02am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

Ok, thanks

1 Like

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by OkCornel(m): 11:06am On Jun 22, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Oh, it's even there in the Bible? I thought I was the first to talk about it, because many only think of grace when it comes to Christ not His Laws. This should be helpful going forward.

Thanks for bringing it out.

God bless.

You’re welcome bro…Another one,

1 Corinthians 9 v 21;
21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

1 Like

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by perezeghi: 11:10am On Jun 22, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Thank you! I have been saying this always.

God has been trying to simplify His words to man from creation till date but man has been trying more hard to dwell in his own understanding. God gave man everything but man continuously decides to go seek out his own knowledge.
God gave man the power of will/choice but man abuses it.

Many people do not still understand the concept of bolded below.....even as Christ Jesus came to draw our minds to it in simple words. But when a man's heart is hardened and darkened it will be hard to see the truth and hold on to it.

Gen.2.9 - And the LORD God planted all sorts of trees in the garden--beautiful trees that produced delicious fruit. At the center of the garden he placed the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 11:30am On Jun 22, 2021
OkCornel:

Has Jesus fulfilled the law? Yes or No

It is Settled and Known that Christ Jesus, is The Lord!

Since He is The Lord, then you already know that He is The Same Law Giver.

Since He is The Law Giver, is He Under His Law that He should Fulfill it?

Remember His Words "ye are from beneath, I am from above. Ye are from this world, I am not of this world" John 8:23

So who does The Law Apply on that it should be fulfilled? Is it Upon The Son of God Above or upon heaven and earth beneath?

OkCornel:

If you love God and your neighbor, have you fulfilled the law? Yes or No

All The Laws of God, Do they not Command "Love God and Love your Neighbour?

So the question is Do you Truly Love God? And do you Truly love your neighbour? Only those who DO THESE, fulfill The Law.

And God Already Loves Us and Has more than Sufficiently Proven His Love for us but have men Loved Him in Return? No! They are rather making excuses saying "God should give us the grace, God should help us"

But when they want to do anything that they like eg steal, have sex with people's wives and maidens, Lie etc they have the energy to implement it.

But to stay faithful to thy wives and refuse Lyings and giving False testimonies, storytelling begins.

As I said at the first, You know that which is right already, that is what The Law has shown you, SO DO THEM, if you truly want to.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by Dtruthspeaker: 11:49am On Jun 22, 2021
perezeghi:

God has been trying to simplify His words to man from creation till date but man has been trying more hard to dwell in his own understanding. God gave man everything but man continuously decides to go seek out his own knowledge.
God gave man the power of will/choice but man abuses it.

Many people do not still understand the concept of bolded below.....even as Christ Jesus came to draw our minds to it in simple words. But when a man's heart is hardened and darkened it will be hard to see the truth and hold on to it.

Gen.2.9 - And the LORD God planted all sorts of trees in the garden--beautiful trees that produced delicious fruit. At the center of the garden he placed the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil

Ye are Absolutely Accurate!

And I just learnt another reason why they are the way they are, Eve cheated on Adam by sleeping with Satan.

She had a child from Satan (Cain) which is why God Cursed her womb (Cain dey belle already).

Which is also why Christ said
"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. HE WAS A MURDERER FROM THE BEGINNING, and abode not in the truth

And we all know who is the first Murderer!

Also take note of the first Mass Murder, whose son was he. Genesis 4:23.

Most people are "sons of Satan" hence Anti-Righteousness as their True father and find it excessively difficult to do Righteousness.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by truespeak: 11:50am On Jun 22, 2021
OkCornel:

You’re welcome bro…Another one,

1 Corinthians 9 v 21;
21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

If you are not free from God's Law, that means you are bound to obey it and if God's Law be different from Christ's shall there not be conflict? There shall Surely be, and you shall be torn either ways and the Law that "No one can serve two Masters" shall catch you!

But if the Law of God and of Christ are the same, there shall be no conflict and you shall dwell in peace for you have one Master and one Law!

Paul clearly had one Master and one Law for the Law of Christ is the Law of God Christ being one with His Father, therefore no conflict and no different Laws!

Paul's Text is Legal Text and this is where Law(y)ers are required to Interpret it!

1 Like

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by truespeak: 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2021
OkCornel:
Nice thread!

Galatians 6 v 1-2;

Is this Not Already Covered by the Commandments of God aptly captured by "Love your Neighbours" ? You have only supplied the proof that Christ gave no different Law from God's Already Established Law, His Law is God's Law, they are one and the same!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by OkCornel(m): 12:04pm On Jun 22, 2021
truespeak:

Is this Not Already Covered by the Commandments of God aptly captured by "Love your Neighbours" ? You have only supplied the proof that Christ gave no different Law from God's Already Established Law, His Law is God's Law, they are one and the same!

Can you show us where in the Law we should turn the other cheek when we are struck?

Patiently waiting.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by OkCornel(m): 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

It is Settled and Known that Christ Jesus, is The Lord!

Since He is The Lord, then you already know that He is The Same Law Giver.

Since He is The Law Giver, is He Under His Law that He should Fulfill it?

Remember His Words "ye are from beneath, I am from above. Ye are from this world, I am not of this world" John 8:23

So who does The Law Apply on that it should be fulfilled? Is it Upon The Son of God Above or upon heaven and earth beneath?

All The Laws of God, Do they not Command "Love God and Love your Neighbour?

So the question is Do you Truly Love God? And do you Truly love your neighbour? Only those who DO THESE, fulfill The Law.

And God Already Loves Us and Has more than Sufficiently Proven His Love for us but have men Loved Him in Return? No! They are rather making excuses saying "God should give us the grace, God should help us"

But when they want to do anything that they like eg steal, have sex with people's wives and maidens, Lie etc they have the energy to implement it.

But to stay faithful to thy wives and refuse Lyings and giving False testimonies, storytelling begins.

As I said at the first, You know that which is right already, that is what The Law has shown you, SO DO THEM, if you truly want to.

You quietly dodged Acts 15.

Did the Law apply to the gentiles not resident in Israel too?
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by OkCornel(m): 12:10pm On Jun 22, 2021
truespeak:

If you are not free from God's Law, that means you are bound to obey it and if God's Law be different from Christ's shall there not be conflict? There shall Surely be, and you shall be torn either ways and the Law that "No one can serve two Masters" shall catch you!

But if the Law of God and of Christ are the same, there shall be no conflict and you shall dwell in peace for you have one Master and one Law!

Paul clearly had one Master and one Law for the Law of Christ is the Law of God Christ being one with His Father, therefore no conflict and no different Laws!

Paul's Text is Legal Text and this is where Law(y)ers are required to Interpret it!

Is Paul’s text a “legal text” or scripture inspired by the Spirit of God?

2 Peter 3 v 15-16;
15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.

16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Did Apostle Peter refer to Paul’s letters as “legal text” or divinely inspired scriptures?
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by truespeak: 12:16pm On Jun 22, 2021
OkCornel:

Can you show us where in the Law we should turn the other cheek when we are struck?

Patiently waiting.

cheesy Now you move to this, in answer, this is what we call in Law an Instruction!

An Instruction from the Law Giver, an Instruction which is Already Covered under the Law of "Love the Lord thy God" for if you Love the Lord you shall keep his Instruction.

It is a simple as that!
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:19pm On Jun 22, 2021
perezeghi:

Now you getting it gradually. I don't know what you mean before the Law.
One of the foremost law given to man by God is in ....Gen.1.28 - God blessed them and told them, "Multiply and fill the earth and subdue it. Be masters over the fish and birds and all the animals."

The bolded there says it all. God was referring to man to repopulate the earth with godly children and what best way do you think man can go about it............
Don't tell me you seriously don't know what "Law" we've been talking about all along.

It seems you didn't read the verse I mentioned, so let me quote it for you so you don't miss it a second time.

Matthew 19:3-4 (KJV)

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Matthew 19:7-8 (KJV)

They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

I hope you're clear now with what I mean by before the "Law" and how Christ came to restore that which was in the beginning, so that you don't mix it up again.
Re: Many Christians Only Know The Law Of Moses But Not That Of Christ by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2021
OkCornel:

Patiently waiting.
Lol!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Today Devotional - Open Heaven By Pastor E.a Adeboye / Razak Aremu Gawat Kidnapped? / A Thread For Those Who Have Been Cured Of Cancer By Great Men Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.