Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,110 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Catalyst Converter Functions - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Catalyst Converter Functions (2336 Views)

Missing Catalyst Converter And Oxygen Sensor Doesn’t Consume Fuel / Can No Catalyst Converter Cause This? / Catalyst Converter Myth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 7:29am On Jun 27, 2019
Pls house i need more experience bcs I'm right now Confused...I'm using Toyota sienna space bus bt d problem with it is highly consumption of fuel....After diagnosing it...d culprits was spark plug and injector mouth, After changing those....I'm still nt satisfied with d result...ever since then evry mechanic do tell me to buy catalyst of which i did....But real concern now is that i should av leav it as it was before buying catalyst....the vehicles is running smoothly but consuming much fuel after putting cat.....someone now advised to remove cat and leav it empty so see d different...and after removing it d fuel nw come back to normal..... my question now is ..... Is Catalyst converter Overhyped or is it working differently with d system of cars?.....pls i jst wnt to learn o
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by CocoaOla: 8:13am On Jun 27, 2019
Catalyst converter convert dirty air from engine combustion cabon monoxide that will kill you to to clean air CO2 and H2O

FROM ENGINE TO EXHAUST PIPE

CO+HC+NOX= CO2+N2+H2O
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 8:18am On Jun 27, 2019
CocoaOla:
Catalyst converter convert dirty air from engine combustion cabon monoxide that will kill you to to clean air CO2 and H2O

FROM ENGINE TO EXHAUST PIPE

CO+HC+NOX= CO2+N2+H2O

..... so, it doesn't affect fuel consumption
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by CocoaOla: 8:20am On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:
Pls house i need more experience bcs I'm right now Confused...I'm using Toyota sienna space bus bt d problem with it is highly consumption of fuel....After diagnosing it...d culprits was spark plug and injector mouth, After changing those....I'm still nt satisfied with d result...ever since then evry mechanic do tell me to buy catalyst of which i did....But real concern now is that i should av leav it as it was before buying catalyst....the vehicles is running smoothly but consuming much fuel after putting cat.....someone now advised to remove cat and leav it empty so see d different...and after removing it d fuel nw come back to normal..... my question now is ..... Is Catalyst converter Overhyped or is it working differently with d system of cars?.....pls i jst wnt to learn o

Original catalytic converter is expensive the one you fix might be choking blocking your engine from breathing properly forcing the engine to suck more fuel in order not to stall
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by CocoaOla: 8:31am On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:
..... so, it doesn't affect fuel consumption
Yes sir except the cat is blocked

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 9:37am On Jun 27, 2019
CocoaOla:
Yes sir except the cat is blocked
...thanks ...i will continue using my car without catalyst for now ...i will remove the cat
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 9:39am On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:
...thanks ...i will continue using my car without catalyst for now ...i will remove the cat
..i will put net or straight pipe as advised
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by autologic: 12:37pm On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:
I will advice you to visit this thread and learn
https://www.nairaland.com/5265973/danger-driving-car-p0420-check
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by autologic: 12:39pm On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:
..i will put net or straight pipe as advised
Don't put net to avoid choking your engine to death , you can decide to leave it hollow .
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 2:09pm On Jun 27, 2019
autologic:

Don't put net to avoid choking your engine to death , you can decide to leave it hollow .
...thanks bro
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by nurey(m): 6:58pm On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:

of all the diagnosis you didn't scan the car which would really tell you what issue you have. Your O2 sensors maybe faulty or non existent.

SCAN VEHICLE FIRST AND FIX ERROR CODES
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 7:23pm On Jun 27, 2019
nurey:

of all the diagnosis you didn't scan the car which would really tell you what issue you have. Your O2 sensors maybe faulty or non existent.

SCAN VEHICLE FIRST AND FIX ERROR CODES
....av done that already bro...it was injector mouth and plug after that i realized the fuel still on high side...d mechanics later advise to get catalyst bcs my car doesn't av one ,i spent almost 40k to get cat...after getting cats i diagnosed again and d result of test was perfect but still more higher on fuel consumption..mind u b4 i put cats it was me that not satisfy bt after putting cats its more wost that b4...thats what brought d questions overhere. ..does catalyst work differently interms of engine system
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 7:25pm On Jun 27, 2019
When i cut catalyst out.. the fuel consumption back to normal that's y I'm asking weather catalyst is Overhyped
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by nurey(m): 7:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
Bosun13:
When i cut catalyst out.. the fuel consumption back to normal that's y I'm asking weather catalyst is Overhyped

catalyst removal increases back pressure which is supposed to lead to fuel economy gain. which sienna generation is this? cause I haven't seen scan tool detect injector mouth faulty.

I understand the plugs but ensure you replace with original plug not all those NGK New sold at 1k or tokunbo.

change your air filter and clean your throttle body, also ensure the throttle cable is in default position shouldn't exceed 800rpm when engine is loaded I.e when engine is warm and gear in drive position.

Then buy full tank and use that to compare fuel economy
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 4:58am On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

catalyst removal increases back pressure which is supposed to lead to fuel economy gain. which sienna generation is this? cause I haven't seen scan tool detect injector mouth faulty.

I understand the plugs but ensure you replace with original plug not all those NGK New sold at 1k or tokunbo.

change your air filter and clean your throttle body, also ensure the throttle cable is in default position shouldn't exceed 800rpm when engine is loaded I.e when engine is warm and gear in drive position.

Then buy full tank and use that to compare fuel economy
....it is year 2000 model
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 5:14am On Jun 28, 2019
Bosun13:
....it is year 2000 model
.....when i put catalyst i bought d one in the front close to manifold and the one mount under exhaust pipe but i realized whr i i used to reach with #2000 fuel I'm spending 3k and i tested it for 2wks,when i see no changes i decided to cut it out and my fuel consumption back to at it was,though the sound was loud when cat was removed
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by nurey(m): 8:02am On Jun 28, 2019
Bosun13:
.....when i put catalyst i bought d one in the front close to manifold and the one mount under exhaust pipe but i realized whr i i used to reach with #2000 fuel I'm spending 3k and i tested it for 2wks,when i see no changes i decided to cut it out and my fuel consumption back to at it was,though the sound was loud when cat was removed

That is not how to calculate fuel economy, the sienna fuel level sensor is gravity dependent and doesn't tell true value of things. if you park with the back slant than the front the sensor would tip upwards like their is more fuel.

Fuel economy is affected by other factors like

driving habit

Tyre PSI

load you are hauling

condition of other car components like air filter, throttle body, spark plug condition and leakage in the vehicle exhaust system (leakage is different from presence of catalyst)

Now we can also add engine condition and mileage the vehicle has done. mileage is about wear and year after long use just like humans when young you can have sex 5 rounds but as you age you can only do it once grin while engine condition is engine oil used, sludge in engine, running fan direct etc.

My question to you is

1. Is there the check engine light on your dash board?

2. What oil do you use to service and your change interval

3. Is your fan ran direct?

4. why don't you buy full tank and do the L/100km test which is easier.

NOTE: The fuel gauge of the sienna after the full is a small section (A) big section (B1) half tank then big section again (B2) then small section (C). I tested this experiment for a year with the stock tyres when I first bought my sienna, from full tank to the end of A the vehicle will give you 200km, from end of A to B1 is 150km, meaning from full tank to half tank is 350km from half tank to reserve light coming ON is 220km. Reserve is around 10 to 15L depending on debris in the fuel tank.
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 10:47am On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

That is not how to calculate fuel economy, the sienna fuel level sensor is gravity dependent and doesn't tell true value of things. if you park with the back slant than the front the sensor would tip upwards like their is more fuel.

driving habit

Tyre PSI

load you are hauling

condition of other car components like air filter, throttle body, spark plug condition and leakage in the vehicle exhaust system (leakage is different from presence of catalyst)

Now we can also add engine condition and mileage the vehicle has done. mileage is about wear and year after long use just like humans when young you can have sex 5 rounds but as you age you can only do it once grin while engine condition is engine oil used, sludge in engine, running fan direct etc.

My question to you is

NOTE: The fuel gauge of the sienna after the full is a small section (A) big section (B1) half tank then big section again (B2) then small section (C). I tested this experiment for a year with the stock tyres when I first bought my sienna, from full tank to the end of A the vehicle will give you 200km, from end of A to B1 is 150km, meaning from full tank to half tank is 350km from half tank to reserve light coming ON is 220km. Reserve is around 10 to 15L depending on debris in the fuel tank.
.....thanks alot my brother,i realy appreciate how u dedicate your time for me to let me learn more abt my car,God will be with you in all your endeavors (amen).

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by GCFR696(m): 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2019
nurey:

driving habit

Tyre PSI

load you are hauling

My question to you is

Hello Nurey,

I've always been confused about the correlation of "running fans directly" and fuel consumption. How does these two relate?

Regards
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by nurey(m): 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2019
GCFR696:

Hello Nurey,

I've always been confused about the correlation of "running fans directly" and fuel consumption. How does these two relate?

Regards

Let's take car A for example with an optimum working temp by the manufacturer pegged at 96 degrees centrigrade. So what the manufacturer does is afix that into the ECU of vehicle A in question.

The air and petrol mixture is better at the optimum temperature of the engine in question meaning any temperature less,the ECU will dump more petrol in the mixture to balance up.

The engine needs more fuel for combustion when it is cold (evident when you just started a car parked over night where the tachometer rises at 1.5 to 2000 then as engine begins to warm it drops down till it sits at 650 to 800 depending on vehicle as it reaches optimum working temperature).

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:03pm On Jun 28, 2019
GCFR696:

Hello Nurey,

Regards

The average engine has an operating temperature, which is not ambient temperature.....
nurey will come with the specs...

the engine fuel management system will only function optimally when the engine has reached that optimum temperature.

the brain box will keep pumping fuel and keep a steady high rpm to make sure the engine reaches that optimum temperature fast.... so that it can use the o2 or air/fuel sensors to manage the fuel...

managing the fuel in this case means cycling the injectors to pump fuel only when needed.
the o2 sensors sense the amount of air fuel mixture in the exhaust gases and determine if it's too lean or too rich.
they send this info to the brain box which will do the injector cycling.....

now after typing all these, if your vehicle does not reach optimum temperature because ur fans are running direct, then your ecm keeps pumping fuel in hopes that it will reach optimum Temp soon.... so the whole essence of the fuel management system is defeated!
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by GCFR696(m): 11:09pm On Jun 28, 2019
Points clearly understood.

Thanks guys
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by autologic: 6:34am On Jun 29, 2019
To learn more about the theory and practical effect of cooling system on fuel mileage .You can check this thread .
https://www.nairaland.com/3729134/let-discuss-cooling-system-overheating.
There is a practical experiment in that thread to scientifically prove it(Courtesy of autologic R& D team)

1 Like

Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by MrFinbarr(m): 3:40am On Jun 30, 2019
Honestly, I don't know about you'll but I just resolved a catalyst issue on my 2006 Camry V6 and my fuel consumption have greatly reduced.

It threw up the P0420 code, we checked the manifold catalyst and it was hollow. I had to replace the catalyst and O2 sensor and my fuel consumption have been super awesome for this past one week.

So if you ask me, a non-cat car has tendency to consume more fuel.
Re: Catalyst Converter Functions by Bosun13: 2:51pm On Jun 30, 2019
Ok.

(1) (Reply)

What's The Best Durable Car To Buy / 2015 Mercedes Benz C300 Vs 2015 Toyota Avalon Vs 2015 Lexus Es350 / 2014 IVM Umu And 2014 IVM Fox

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.