Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,083 members, 7,852,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 11:51 PM

Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor (10626 Views)

Bayo Onanuga Speaks On Leadership Crisis In Labor Party / Go To Court Is A Metaphor That Symbolises Impunity - Kola Ologbondiyan / Jonathan Harps On Unity As Obi Blames Nation’s Woes On Leadership Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by emmnprince(m): 10:53am On Jun 28, 2019
Tinubu shouldn't have been used as an example in this article.

2 Likes

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Chikpat(m): 10:55am On Jun 28, 2019
Atiku will not be president; so will Akpabio, Saraki not return to the 9th Senate
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Codes151(m): 10:57am On Jun 28, 2019
Wannabes. Writing from Abuja about Akwa Ibom!!!
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 28, 2019
ichidodo:
He had it all mehn...All the love...The Adulations...The glory.... The respect. At some point he was going into political sainthood. Then he went and f**ked it all. All For what ?!

Lol

He took us for granted
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Ubdavis(m): 11:02am On Jun 28, 2019
The reason why he decamped is still very eminent, he simply tried to evade EFCC trail . So what now!!!!
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Akpan107(m): 11:07am On Jun 28, 2019
inderhappy:
Nonsense stopped reading when I saw good leader's like tunubu
He really angered me there, but I had to force myself to continue reading...

Akpabio really disappointed us by joining apc.

2 Likes

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Beverlyjean(f): 11:08am On Jun 28, 2019
Tabithatim:
The spectacle of events at the National Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal in Uyo, which came to a head yesterday as Senator Godswill Akpabio took the witness box to give evidence to support his claim of having been robbed of victory by Senator Chris Ekpenyong has triggered mixed emotions and a deep sense of sadness in me for many reasons.

I personally led honest effort (in collaboration with hundreds of other young people in our LGA) to coral His Excellency, Senator Akpabio into the APC. The campaign to lure him was necessitated by the larger interest of our people, who are a minority tribe in Akwa Ibom and Nigeria, and whose interest would have been better served by the intellect and charisma of the Senator in the ruling majority party. His wealth of experience I reckoned, was a wasted asset in the 4 years that he remained in the opposition bench. This feeling was more compelling because I knew that President Buhari, who I support with all my life, would win the 2019 general elections, head or tail. I also knew that the APC would take majority in the National Assembly, head or tail.

In pursuit of that dream, I published articles in several blogs and platforms, urging him to “move” to APC so that our people can reap the full benefit of his presence in the Senate. When he finally heeded the call, I contributed to hiring a band, organizing boys and staging a big show in Ikot Ekpene to welcome him. The expectation was that our “final obongowo” would indeed become a unifying factor, bring all sides together, show compassion, leverage on the structures on the ground and push for the best deal for everyone.

What did he do after? He went on-board the APC platform which he desecrated and traumatized during his days as governor of Akwa Ibom, to further stoke the fire. He shoved everyone aside using the crudest of tactics; arrested, manacled and humiliated me alongside my elder brother – Samuel Ikpa (himself a staunch dyed-in-the-wool Buharist) , tried within the limits of his human capacity to break our spirits, and truncated my brother’s ambition to vie for the House of Assembly seat with bestial impunity. He handpicked candidates from his coterie of hangers-on for the different electoral contests and thoroughly upended the seams of democracy. He built a make-believe aura of invincibility around himself and refused to exploit the huge advantage that the APC had before he joined. Rather than unifying the platform, he became a polarizing agent; destabilizing a movement that was solid like a rock. He jettisoned elementary methods of soliciting for votes through campaigns, canvassing and persuasion and instead, relied on the ensemble of urchins and touts for the dirty job of snatching ballot materials, abducting polling officials and manipulating the electoral process to force victory by crooked means. The rest is history.

On that dreadful night, I told our dear senator to do a little self introspection about his inner circle. I told him that he was unable to create the right kind of friends that would step into his shoes like Tinubu has done and help him expand his sphere of influence. I told him that good leaders who desire to be like Asiwaju Bola Tinubu do not fight small fights. No! They do not see those who speak the truth as enemies. Good leaders like Tinubu identify talents around them to support, groom and project. Good leaders think more about their community and their hereafter, than they think about themselves. Good leaders keep an eye on the judgement of history than the praises of sycophants, whose stock in trade is to clap and dance for the crumbs. Good leaders listen to criticisms, learn from everyone and do justice to their consciences. According to Michelle Obama, “people who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together. People who are truly leaders show the way” .

I told him that most of the people who surround him tell him lies, destroy other people before him and mislead him into believing that some of us who truly wish him to succeed, do not mean well for him. Those people are the same set that made him take the crude action that he took against my brother. They are the same set that organized the fatal hijacking of electoral materials at Okon, Ekpenyong 1, Odoro Ikot, Ukana and Ikpe Annang that has become his Achilles Hills , and has given Chris Ekpenyong easy passage into the Senate. They are the ones that brought down our own dear Senator, from the pinnacle of a sterling political career in Abuja, into the spectacle of a dingy dock of a courtroom in a tiny corner of Uyo where he had to be “led in evidence” by small lawyers, unfit to untie the lace of his shoes. On a good day.

As the lawyer was “putting it to” our former senator yesterday, I could feel the embarrassment; the sheer reality of subjecting our OGA’s tender feet to the furnace of hot unusual legal scrutiny. I could perceive the sense of powerlessness; the surrender that his fall from grace represents. It is sad that our own senator had to struggle to prove that he voted for himself. Or that he scored 61,000 votes. Or 65,000 votes. Or any number of votes in-between. It was a spectacle to see him argue with facts on paper, or feign victim to INEC’s Mike Igini when indeed, his most ardent supporters were denied the right to vote by his own agents. It is tragic that the cold hands of karma, has visited a respectable loquacious senator, in the unkindest of ways, and served him a full dose of the bitter medicine that he alone had the monopoly of serving to others, all these years.

Alas, the words of Jim Rohn are true about leadership: “The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humour, but without folly.” Our senator possesses little of these attributes, hence his struggles with the truth.

If only he knows.

** Celestine Mel is a chartered banker and active citizen. He writes from Abuja, FCT.

Follow on twitter: @melfication

Facebook: Celestine Mel

https://www.thenewsfeed.ng/2019/06/28/reminisces-and-reflections-on-leadership-and-failure-akpabio-as-metaphor-by-celestine-mel/

So u are among those that led him to disaster
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by advocatebaba(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2019
The utmost regret of this once celebrated personality is the acceptance to join the party that was in opposition when he was the governor of the Akwa-ibom. The singular move at the dire minute towards the general election has cost him a lot than he can ever imagine.

This is what u face when the political wave sweeps and u failed to stand your ground. A once staunch man of the PDP now been ridiculed because he wants to dine with the ruling party. He fails to understand that when the people are not behind you again, there is nothing you can do except to result to fate.

Let him swallow the pill alone.

The Writer just confessed how he and many others led him into this shame and also how his move didn't favour him as predicted. oga go and join him in the dock.
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Princedapace(m): 11:21am On Jun 28, 2019
I'm sorry, all I see in ur post is sense of entitlements.. Just as u wanted to be recognized and praised, given positions, and ur brother contesting, that was how those u called names wanted too. Just as u are calling them now, they also called u names too. This boils down to one thing, all naija politicians are selfishly driven.

1 Like

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Lordave: 11:22am On Jun 28, 2019
I think the writer is more pained by the humiliation of him and his Buharist brother rather than the predicaments of Senator Akpabio.
It's evident in his words.
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by icon02(m): 11:31am On Jun 28, 2019
inderhappy:
Nonsense stopped reading when I saw good leader's like tunubu
Bro chill, I am not a Tinubu or Elrufai supporter. I dont like them because of their selfish intentions but there is one thing you can't take away from this two men, they know how to spot talents, develop and empower them to achieve what they want.
And a talent picked up from the Dunghill, processed, developed and empowered will most usually be loyal.

2 Likes

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by femi4: 11:35am On Jun 28, 2019
olurich01:
Ok. I know this is a different thread, I need front-page to comment this. That COZA and Busola SAGA is true. I lived in Ilorin all my life before I recently moved to Lag. We started COZA together before he moved to Abuja. The number of girls (past B as we fondly call him ) slept with is numerous. If all of them should come out. COZA WOULD BE FAR GONE..A LOT HAPPENED INSIDE STELLA MULTI PURPOSE HALL ALONG OFFA GARAGE ROAD. JUST DONT BE BEAUTIFUL. IF YOU ARE. YOU CANT ESCAPE PASTOR B. I BELIEVE HE'S A CHANGE PERSON BUT HIS PAST WILL FOREVER HUNT HIM. CONTROL YOUR LIBIDO GUYS
Thank God i no get libido
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by sisimmi: 11:47am On Jun 28, 2019
Bro chill, I am not a Tinubu or Elrufai supporter. I dont like them because of their selfish intentions but there is one thing you can't take away from this two men, they know how to spot talents, develop and empower them to achieve what they want.
And a talent picked up from the Dunghill, processed, developed and empowered will most usually be loyal.

You dey mind the bloke? Those running their mouth against Tinubu know zilch about talent identification and management. Show me any leader (whether political or private) who mentored as many powerful proteges as Tinubu. Hate or like him, Tinubu boys control this country today: Osinbajo, BRF, Ambode, Aregbesola, Fowler, Sanwo Olu, Ajimobi, Gajabiala, A Lawan, etc. All products of one man. Among them, not one is a pushover. It takes more than posting Tecno or Infinix phones to produce powerful people.

Tinubu's got the mojo. Forgerrit!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 28, 2019
olurich01:
Ok. I know this is a different thread, I need front-page to comment this. That COZA and Busola SAGA is true. I lived in Ilorin all my life before I recently moved to Lag. We started COZA together before he moved to Abuja. The number of girls (past B as we fondly call him ) slept with is numerous. If all of them should come out. COZA WOULD BE FAR GONE..A LOT HAPPENED INSIDE STELLA MULTI PURPOSE HALL ALONG OFFA GARAGE ROAD. JUST DONT BE BEAUTIFUL. IF YOU ARE. YOU CANT ESCAPE PASTOR B. I BELIEVE HE'S A CHANGE PERSON BUT HIS PAST WILL FOREVER HUNT HIM. CONTROL YOUR LIBIDO GUYS

olurich01:
It's true Ok. That COZA and Busola SAGA is true. I lived in Ilorin all my life before I recently moved to Lag. We started COZA together before he moved to Abuja. The number of girls (past B as we fondly call him ) slept with is numerous. If all of them should come out. COZA WOULD BE FAR GONE..A LOT HAPPENED INSIDE STELLA MULTI PURPOSE HALL ALONG OFFA GARAGE ROAD. JUST DONT BE BEAUTIFUL. IF YOU ARE. YOU CANT ESCAPE PASTOR B. I BELIEVE HE'S A CHANGE PERSON BUT HIS PAST WILL FOREVER HUNT HIM. CONTROL YOUR LIBIDO GUYS

Instead of telling your fellow ladies to be careful about these so called pastors like your pastor B,you say guys should control their libido..
From your statement,”Just don’t be beautiful , else you can’t escape pastor B,” and you knew all this and the kind of person your pastor B was and you all continued attending the so called COZA, and your advice is for guys to control their libido.. chai onye me re gin ihe nka.., chai..

Ladies and their craze for church and my pastor this, my pastor that.. anyway .. what do I know sef�
Pastor B koor, pastor F ni
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 28, 2019
nobodytestme:

Instead of telling your fellow ladies to be careful about these so called pastors like your pastor B,you say guys should control their libido..
From your statement,”Just don’t be beautiful , else you can’t escape pastor B,” and you knew all this and the kind of person your pastor B was and you all continued attending the so called COZA, and your advice is for guys to control their libido.. chai onye me re gin ihe nka.., chai..

Ladies and their craze for church and my pastor this, my pastor that.. anyway .. what do I know sef�
Pastor B koor, pastor F ni
lol. I later left, when the eyes of my understanding opened. Then in Ilorin Coza was a big deal. And those girls easily throws themselves at him
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by searchlight: 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2019
icon02:

you have little or no knowledge of Nigerians politics. Google the governors and government of Enugu since 1999, check Anambra too, Kano Nko? Benie kwan?And many more States. It is just that some people believe they are born to serve in some region where one man can be governor since 1999.
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by searchlight: 12:15pm On Jun 28, 2019
sisimmi:

You dey mind the bloke? Those running their mouth against Tinubu know zilch about talent identification and management. Show me any leader (whether political or private) who mentored as many powerful proteges as Tinubu. Hate or like him, Tinubu boys control this country today: Osinbajo, BRF, Ambode, Aregbesola, Fowler, Sanwo Olu, Ajimobi, Gajabiala, A Lawan, etc. All products of one man. Among them, not one is a pushover. It takes more than posting Tecno or Infinix phones to produce powerful people.

Tinubu's got the mojo. Forgerrit!!!!
Why is it taking Tinubu a whole lots of years to identify talent in south east and south south?, I think he tried and failed in IMO, with Sen.Uzodimma, Some people are just naturally subservient to their masters for the remaibder of their lives. Come here in the south east, In anambra Uba's dynasty couldn't last for 8 years even with the federal might then, in IMO Achike Udenwa was retired permently, in Abia Orji Kalu had to resurrect from political oblivion, in Enugu Olo, Nwodo, and Nwobodo dynasties where crushed two years in to the fourth rebuplic, the ever powerful then governor of Enugu Sen Nnamani dynasty (Ebeano) was teared into pieces some months after he left office. What about his predecessor, governor Chime, What about Sam Egwu and Elechi of Ebonyi? Ndigbo are naturally independent minded and will never subscribed to serve for eternity. If Tinubu is that crafty he should extend his tentacles to south east
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by icon02(m): 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2019
searchlight:
you have little or no knowledge of Nigerians politics. Google the governors and government of Enugu since 1999, check Anambra too, Kano Nko? Benie kwan?And many more States. It is just that some people believe they are born to serve in some region where one man can be governor since 1999.
What are we discussing? What are you saying Mr know all? Didn't you read my post? I said MOST USUALLY. Because a few protege have rebelled against their benefactors means all has or would? Probably their recruitment system wasn't perfect and the godfather couldn't conceal his greed enough.
Tinubu has shown us a perfect example of how to recruit loyal godchildren and how to check their excesses always.
Elrufai on his part sholves every contradiction to hire whoever he feels is an asset
You mentioned Kano, kwankwaso and Ganduje's relationship is friendship and not a godfather godson relationship so its easy for Ganduje to see Kwankwaso as a contemporary.
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by TundeeednuT: 12:43pm On Jun 28, 2019
Honestly, I thought this post is about Reminisce, the singer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by PrinceGeorge1(m): 1:05pm On Jun 28, 2019
olurich01:

Madman! stop this trash that ur spewing, trying to ride on the unfortunate event to slander and gain popularity.

No you just dey scramble for admission into Kwara poly back in 2017? so how could you av started COZA together? when you probably avnt even finished sec school...Just go and sit down abeg!
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Oxb90: 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2019
ichidodo:
He had it all mehn...All the love...The Adulations...The glory.... The respect. At some point he was going into political sainthood. Then he went and f**ked it all. All For what ?!
all for APC
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by searchlight: 3:12pm On Jun 28, 2019
icon02:

What are we discussing? What are you saying Mr know all? Didn't you read my post? I said MOST USUALLY. Because a few protege have rebelled against their benefactors means all has or would? Probably their recruitment system wasn't perfect and the godfather couldn't conceal his greed enough.
Tinubu has shown us a perfect example of how to recruit loyal godchildren and how to check their excesses always.
Elrufai on his part sholves every contradiction to hire whoever he feels is an asset
You mentioned Kano, kwankwaso and Ganduje's relationship is friendship and not a godfather godson relationship so its easy for Ganduje to see Kwankwaso as a contemporary.
this kind of Godfatherism happening around Lagos can only happen in South west man. Answer me if tinubu is that crafty as you think why can't he extend his tentacle to south east. He can only be who he is in south west. By the way are you even commending Tinubus godfatherism when you should be speaking against it. Anyway some people are born to remain servants and never graduate to Oga. God fatherismt can't thrive here cos an Igbo man will never agree to serve you forever be you anything bar God. It has nothing to do with recruitment process it has to do the the persons restricted. The problem of an Igbo man in Nigeria is that he would want to grow pass him Oga one day and when given the opportunity he tries to exercised his power to make his mark. Mention any zone in Nigeria where godfatherism has thrived 100%. It has to do with the race and not process. Senator Nnamani produced all the political Actors in Enugu state today. The two governors past and present, the three senators representing Enugu, most of the ministers are his Ebeano product, the whole HOR in Enugu even the Almighty Ekweremadu of today was his progete but today he can't boast of being in control of PDP structure in Enugu. In short he was buried political by the passed administration which the current governor had to repay him for aiding his political carrier by giving him PDP ticket during general election. Fact is that Igbo's are too independent minded for godfatherism to thrive down here. Every Igbo man wants to be Oga and when presented the opportunity he goes for it.
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jun 28, 2019
PrinceGeorge1:

Madman! stop this trash that ur spewing, trying to ride on the unfortunate event to slander and gain popularity.

No you just dey scramble for admission into Kwara poly back in 2017? so how could you av started COZA together? when you probably avnt even finished sec school...Just go and sit down abeg!
lol. You must have been to my profile. Those were meant for enquiries.not for me..He without sin should cast d first stone. I'm not happy about it either
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:17pm On Jun 28, 2019
Chikpat:
Atiku will not be president; so will Akpabio, Saraki not return to the 9th Senate
leave some pple...if akpabio won then saraki won too...i wonder how akpabio thought he would decamped to apc and win like that...if tinubu or Buhari decamped those years would there be apc today...
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:22pm On Jun 28, 2019
icon02:

how many talents has El rufai developed remember El rufai was in pdp before unlike tinibu who had been in opposition before apc took over...
akpabio made a grave mistake in politics the tone of the people matters...this is why dogara came back after decamping to pdp....u don't wake up at d eleventh hour and move somewhere without ur folks support...politics is ist local
Re: Reminisces And Reflections On Leadership And Failure: Akpabio As Metaphor by booksrite001: 1:57am On Jul 02, 2019
tundeeednut:
Honestly, I thought this post is about Reminisce, the singer

kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Explosion: Ogun Extends Ban To Cooling Gas / Fuel Marketers Pay In Dollars To Transport Products Within Nigeria: Sergius Ogun / Lekki Seaport And International Airport On Course -fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.