Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

What's This New Phase Of Mobile Money? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's This New Phase Of Mobile Money? (165 Views)

Newly Completed Phase Of Ariaria International Market With Lift & AC Added (Pic) / Comparing Mobile Money Agencies In Nigerian (which Is The Best?) / CBN Reviews Limits On Mobile Money Transaction, Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's This New Phase Of Mobile Money? by kinglee007(m): 5:10pm On Jun 28, 2019
Scenario 1

Ok, so my friend went to the bank today to make a deposit of 5k and like other days (even in the rain) he met the usual queue that always gets him pissed off. "Guy, the worst part is that there are six counters but only three cashiers on seat" he said. " It took one of the cashiers over five minutes to attend to the customer in from of me. When it eventually got to my turn and I asked the lady what was making the service slow, she gave one sad sigh and said, the system is slow" he added.
I asked him why he didn't use all these Paga or mobile money agents. He said "you want make them short the money for me? I'll rather go and do it myself at the bank and ensure it gets posted immediately" he replied. Well you have a point there, I told him.

Scenario 2

I visited Femi, my mobile phone engineer to fix my mobile phones screen. As always, he always had lots of customers waiting in line and for him, taking a break to go and eat will seem as if he's not a serious business minded person so he'll rather sit there from 9:30 am (or 10am sometimes), order for food when he is hungry and eats it there in his little shop while doing some customers job. He's quite good at his work so I'm not at all surprised at the number of clients he gets a day. In a day, he makes a minimum of 10k (no exaggerations here). But why am I talking about Femi? I noticed he keeps this money in his drawer and I then asked him if it was safe there, "for where. Bros I no go fit try am. Me, I no get time to go bank so I dey keep am for these my daily money collectors wey they help me save am". Lo and behold, not up to five minutes one of the ladies came and Femi handed the lady 3k and she took down some notes on her big book and left telling Femi they will see tomorrow. I asked him if he trusted them and he said "to an extent. At least I know their office". To me that was not enough. I have heard stories about how some of these people gather people's money and run. I then asked if he would love to save his money in the bank and monitor his money, he replied "yes bros, but as you see, I no dey get time to go bank". I also noticed this was a normal case with most of the computer village engineers and traders.

Scenario 3
My Uncle got called by my little brother who is in school to please send him some cash for a project. My Umcle had promised to send it to him before the close of the day but due to the work load in the office, he couldn't meet up with the bank. And when he tried doing a transfer, he noticed the amount in his account was not enough to send to meet the demands of his brother. He remembered he had some physical cash at hand but nowhere to send it. He called his brother and told him to wait until Monday cos this was on a Friday. Told him to see he could borrow from and use till Monday morning. That's when I cut him short from the phone conversation and said, "bros no forget say Monday and Tuesday na public holiday o!". As if poured cold water on him. " Chai, I don forget o!" he said. I brought up the idea of using a mobile money agent and he said the last time he used one, the person did not get the money until the next day and when he asked why they told him it was network failure. Trusting them became an issue. How annoying!!!

For the three scenario's, they could always use a deposit machine. But the question is, how many of them are installed at the places within your reach?
I once asked the man I buy foodstuffs from why he doesn't go to the bank to keep his money. "I no get time for all those form wey person dey fill every now and then jare". The reply sounded kinda funny to me but, I realised that he might not be the only person with such thoughts. His fear is not keeping the money in the bank, his fear is not wanting to embarrass himself when asked to fill forms to open accounts and all that. In other words, he's literacy level no cover books.

Proximity to Banks, Literacy, Time Constraints, Annoying queue you meet at the Banks (especially when there's only one or two within your reach) are all problems that have been lingering on for a while now and it's still kinda hard to bridge this gap even with the level and exposure of the mobile money agents at nooks and crannies these days.
Luckily I have found a way to bridge this gap. But, I'm open to ideas, other personal or non personal experiences aside from the ones mentioned and possible solutions to bridge this gap.

According to thecable.ng, 118 million adults don't have a bank account. And techpoint.africa says, only 40% of adults have a bank account.

This can change. Wanna know how? Contact my signature.

Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Get Paid For Having Followers / Bakery Needed / How To Get Adsense Account Approval In Less Than 7 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.