Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Tennis: Rome Masters! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis: Rome Masters! (3207 Views)

Usain Bolt Beaten By Justin Gatlin In 100m Race In Rome / London Olympics Tennis Final : Serena Willams Vs Sharapova / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 10:25pm On May 10, 2007
Haha! I can't bet on that one. Well, except if he feels "dizzy" again. The chap is yet to lose a set this season, on clay.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 2:18am On May 11, 2007
doyin13:

i so want Nadal to lose.

In your dreams especially since this is on clay.

doyin13:

i will wait for wimbledon before i conclude on federer's form. his backhand is less vulnerable there

Federer's grip is slowly loosening at the top. He cant be called a true great until he is able to dominate on clay the way he does on grass.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 2:22am On May 11, 2007
@ PDF

I have stopped following Blake's game, he is far too inconsistent to pose too much of a threat. Starts slams well and then fizzles out when you least expect. Last yrs US open was definitely his best moment.
Nadal, Djokovic are the players to watch. I'm glad Nadal finally stuck one up to Youzhny.

What's up with Marat Safin?
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by viee(f): 9:06am On May 11, 2007
the guy i wanted out is Roger! tongue
as for Nadal, the guy is the king on clay!
i want him there !
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 11:29am On May 11, 2007
@daividlyan

Pete Sampras is regarded as a great, but his best at the French was a semi final berth. If not for Nadal, Federer would probably be one or two French up. Nadal's dominace of the clay reminds me so much of Kuerten's dominance a few years back. He is now one of the 'where are they now' crew.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 4:25pm On May 11, 2007
Djokovic has already lost his first game on serve. Terrible
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 5:57pm On May 11, 2007
Wow! another straight-set victory for Nadal. Who will stop him? Gonzo? or maybe Volandri undecided
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 8:58pm On May 11, 2007
davidylan:

What's up with Marat Safin?

From the article below,  I think the problem with Safin is that he's losing his focus or maybe he's just not feeling tennis anymore.

His compatriot, Mikhail Youzhny, summed up Safin when he talked to Tennis Magazine in 2004. "If I did like [Safin] does -- his nightclubs, his smoking -- I'd never make the Top 100," Youzhny said. "He is very happy now, he gets whatever he wants, so if he doesn't want to practice, he doesn't practice."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2864928&name=tennis
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 11, 2007
All the best for Marat, at least his sister is ready to carry on the Safin family flag.

Is anyone still in doubt about Nadal's superiority on clay? Flogged another top ten player with ease! Time for Davydenko's tennis training.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 10:39pm On May 11, 2007
Rafael Nadal swept towards a third consecutive Rome Masters title, beating fifth seed Novak Djokovic 6-2 6-3 in the quarter-finals.

The world number two, whose victory took his winning streak on clay to 75 matches, set up a semi-final against fourth seed Nikolay Davydenko and insisted he was expecting a touch match against the Russian.

"He's playing very good tennis, hitting hard on both sides. He can beat me," he said.

Nikolay Davydenko fought back from a horror opening set to claim a hard-fought 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Spain's Tommy Robredo to book his place in the quarter finals of the Rome Masters.

"He's like Robredo, only a lefty and more physical," Davydenko said of the prospect of facing Nadal in the next round.

"It's pretty tough to beat him because the court is not so fast. He is also faster than Robredo.

"I saw Robredo was tired in the second set. He's wasn't running so quick. But Nadal runs in the first set, the second set, third set, every set the same."

"Nadal, I don't know, maybe he is an animal, like he never tires," the Russian joked. "We'll see."

Wild card Filippo Volandri became the first Italian player to reach the semi-finals of the Rome Masters in 29 years when he swept past 12th seed Tomas Berdych 6-2 6-3.

Volandri will next face sixth seed Fernando Gonzalez, who beat Juan Ignacio Chela 6-3 6-4.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 11:18pm On May 11, 2007
i saw the match today. its simply not fair. Djokovic did not play badly but nadal just chased everything down.

they should ban him(nadal) from claylike they ban nigerian actors and actresses. I am not looking forward to seeing this kind of dominance for too long. Remember Sampras on grass. There is nothing wrong with consistently winning, but at least show some vulnerability. At no time did he look in danger of
losing today. Some would say awesome, i say terrorism.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 4:42pm On May 12, 2007
Davydenko is really pushing Nadal, but he is already a set down. At least he has managed to break Nadal more than anybody has done this season. There is hope
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 5:10pm On May 12, 2007
He should have taken the first set when he had the chance. He only raises his game when he's broken and relaxes later.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 12, 2007
5-5 in the second set. Classic.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 5:38pm On May 12, 2007
Finally, Davy takes the second set after blowing away five set points!!!!

Can u believe they've spent close to 3hrs already on court?
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 12, 2007
Na wa o! 7-6, 6-7. What a second set tie break!

Vamos Rafa! We must destroy the soviet machine in this third set.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 12, 2007
Nadal drop his first set on clay this year.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 5:53pm On May 12, 2007
Rafa is really in for it this time.  He looks like he's going to lose this match.

Whoever scales through, anyway,  faces in-form Gonzo (who beat Volandri 6-1, 6-2) in the finals.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 12, 2007
Dont count Rafa out yet. still too early, besides its like most of the players go into extra gear anytime they have to play him. If Davey wins this game then you can safely award him the masters title. He's a consistent baseliine slugger with few unforced errors. Worst player to play against.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 12, 2007
Na wa for this game o! No one wants to lose. 7-6, 6-7, 2-2!
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 6:09pm On May 12, 2007
this is ridiculous. where does nadal get the power. na jazz o
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 12, 2007
the question is who on earth is this freak called Davydenko? shocked
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 6:27pm On May 12, 2007

Game over.  Nadal is really an animal.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 12, 2007
All hail king Nadal! grin
7-6, 6-7, 6-4
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 6:42pm On May 12, 2007
my food has lost its taste
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 6:53pm On May 12, 2007
doyin13:

lol. . . pass it to your dog.

The win is Nadal's 76th win on clay, breaking John McEnroe's record for most victories on one surface.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 12, 2007
doyin13:

at this rate you wont be able to eat for the rest of the clay court season. grin
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by doyin13(m): 7:28pm On May 12, 2007
i hope gonzalez will save me from starvation
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 3:18pm On May 13, 2007
The match between Nadal and Gonzalez is underway. 

Doyin, Gonzo isn't helping ur condition at the moment, Nadal has taken the first set 6-2.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 13, 2007
thanks for the reminder @ PDF. . .
Doyin is going to starve until June. grin
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by PDF: 3:42pm On May 13, 2007
Haha! . . . the guy isn't losing this year sef. Nadal goes 3-0 second set.
Re: Tennis: Rome Masters! by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 13, 2007
long may Doyin starve. 6-2, 6-2 and Rafa is champion of Rome for the third straight year!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

David De Gea Vs Thibaut Courtois. Who Is Better? / Bet9ja Codes ....matches Till 9pm Tonight / Man Utd Boss Ferguson Wants To Avoid Obi Mikel Repeat With Azeez Case.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.