Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State (21295 Views)

Nasarawa Police Arrest Fake Corps Member In NYSC Camp / 21 Days In Okada, Edo State / Sex In NYSC Camps: How True? As A Corps Member Please Share? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Seun4blue(m): 6:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
I am presently serving in Edo state which means I was in the camp March this year!... There was nothing like that for the Batch A members throughout the camping days... Maybe the new CC introduced it.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by TheControversy: 6:22pm On Jul 05, 2019
This is extortion. We did not pay a dime for anything when I was in camp, Kaduna. I advice you write a letter to the headquarters and complain of the issue, that's nonsense.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by AlwaysPositive: 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2019
Nigeria can never get better. Corruption at all level. ##spits
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Lafete(m): 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hmmm... I'm in NYSC Edo State Camp at the moment and I've not witnessed or heard of such extortion of Corps members by course officials.

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by anthonyuncle(m): 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2019
dear lawd!!
when did edo state venture into corruption like dz?
have they left their witchcraft & voodoo for other states?

dz one don pass be careful
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by 2grozz: 6:43pm On Jul 05, 2019
Its rather astonishing and mind boggling the extent people can go just to get traffic or likes. Your story is completely false. Either you cooked up this story or your sister is simply a scam artist.
I am currently at the Edo orientation camp and no such thing happened. No body in their right mind would ask corpers to pay 10k5. How many corpers will afford that. SAED is free .....absolutely free.
No such thing happened. Not in Edo state....and not anywhere in Nigeria.
The CC never asked anybody to do anything.

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by ur1054: 6:47pm On Jul 05, 2019
NYSC Edo officials have been fatherly and motherly to us all. Why would you spoil their good disposition?
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Afamed: 6:54pm On Jul 05, 2019
ur1054:
NYSC Edo officials have been fatherly and motherly to us all. Why would you spoil their good disposition?
This has always been my fear, whenever I read news on social media.Thank you for setting the record straight
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Muhylonaire(m): 6:56pm On Jul 05, 2019
That's crazy... Well, it wasn't like this last year o, coz I was in the same camp last year 18B,... Your sister never see anything ooo, the best thing for her is to redeploy, Edo state is a scam. Kobo she will not collect as state allawee, even most PPA's find it difficult to pay.
I served in that yeye state and the experience is not sweet at all
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by lablonclacla: 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2019
Oh my God, this is so wrong! I have been in Edo Camp for almost 3 weeks now and I have never been asked to pay a kobo for anything!

I repeat, ANYTHING!!!

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by ridhie: 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2019
I just completed my SAED programme at the Edo camp today. I took Photography and Film making classes and nobody asked me for a penny, it was free of charge!!!!
This nothing but FAKE NEWS!!!!!!

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Lafete(m): 7:17pm On Jul 05, 2019
It has never been like this and will never be. I have the number to the Director-General who is a military man. He gave every Corps member his number when he visited. We all have access to him. And he has asked those of us in camp to report to him directly in the event that such a thing happens.

I'm sure this person is outrightly lying to extort money from home. Else, he/she would have reported this directly to the Director-general himself.

The camp may not be standard. Despite its shortcomings, credit should be given to the officials who have ensured we enjoyed the camp as much as possible.

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Lafete(m): 7:18pm On Jul 05, 2019
Seun4blue:
I am presently serving in Edo state which means I was in the camp March this year!... There was nothing like that for the Batch A members throughout the camping days... Maybe the new CC introduced it.

I'm in the camp currently, nothing like that jare. The person is clearly lying.

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by tosyne2much(m): 8:03pm On Jul 05, 2019
Nawa
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Hoodbilonia: 9:05pm On Jul 05, 2019
20.1m
Everyone na scammer
Bleep
See funds
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2019
And hope your Sis is not the one scamming you guys
Before you land her in trouble
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by 2grozz: 9:30pm On Jul 05, 2019
RE : EXTORTION IN NYSC ORIENTATION CAMP, OKADA (A CASE OF WRONG ALLEGATIONS)
For the records, the NYSC Edo wishes to say that the allegations as published on Nairaland Platform on the social media are untrue for the following reasons:
* The NYSC does not entertain medical certificate of fitness from private clinics except that of the government hospital.
* SAED (Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development) was organized freely for all corps members by the management of the camp.
* The programme which ran for ten days climaxing with a colorful ceremony and inter platoon competition was held under the supervision of camp officials and devoid of any form of extortion.
* Furthermore, the NYSC Director - General, Brig. Gen. S. Ibrahim during his official visit to Edo Camp made his phone number and e- mail address available to corps members. Corps members therefore have unhindered access to the Director- General and would therefore report any case of such.
* The orientation camp is ran openly and transparently. Consequently, the reported story by Nairaland platform on the social media is not true of NYSC Edo State Camp.
Thank you.

SIGNED
MANAGEMENT

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by oluwamaich(m): 10:57pm On Jul 05, 2019
Please make your findings very well.

I spoke with someone there and gave true account of what happened.

The medical cert was said to be likely not complete or original enough.

The empowerment stuff, hope your sis no dey plan scam una for house

I have say my own say

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by budaatum: 3:19am On Jul 06, 2019
I can't believe this made news!

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by jujunaty(m): 5:10am On Jul 06, 2019
Ishilove:
My relative was posted to Edo state for the 2019 Batch B orientation course, and since the day she reported on camp, it has been one tale of extortion to the other.

She reported to the camp on Wednesday, June 19 and after scaling through the processes, was forced to cough up 5,000 naira for a medical certificate. She had gotten an official medical certificate of fitness from Isolo General Hospital which was signed and stamped on the hospital's letter headed paper by the examining doctor, but when she presented this certificate to the screening officials at camp, they rejected it saying it was 'fake'. How can it be fake when the doctor's name and the hospital's contact details are indicated, she argued. To paraphrase her, she was told to either get a 'genuine' certificate from their 'approved' clinic in Okada or fvck off. Having no other choice, she and a legion of prospective corp members went to this so called 'approved' clinic to process the certificate at the cost of 5,000 naira. Incidentally, this clinic is a private hospital. Her government issued certificate was rejected in favour of one issued by a privately owned kangaroo mushroom 'hospital'.

Now, the incident which incensed the entire nuclear and extended family and inspired this post happened yesterday. During a camp programme, some call up numbers were called in the hall and hers were among them. Afterwards, the hapless corp members whose numbers were called were unceremoniously bounced out of the hall and told to assemble at the camp coordinator's office.

At the office, the camp coordinator, hereafter called CC proceeded to ask her, quote, 'meaningless questions' before accusing her of deliberately refusing to pay "empowerment programme fee.' There is a skill empowerment/acquisition programme which was organised for the corp members on camp, and from my own understanding of how this based on experiences from my own service year, this programme is either voluntary or free of charge. The CC said the programme is for her own good and if she didn't pay, she will not be deployed to her PPA. He made this threat to the other corp members too. The supposed fee is 10,050 naira, to be paid in cash.

Now, unless the system has changed and corp members now have to pay for the programmes on camp (I doubt this though but I stand to be corrected). The mind boggles that NYSC officials are going to this length to extort money from these young people and you can just imagine how much they are making.

2000 corp members (I am making a conservative guess).

10,050 per corp member. Let us not forget the insidious shenanigans with the medical fitness certificate.

Do the math and the answer will illustrate if Nigeria can ever be free from corruption.
post on NYSC page on Facebook. Uld see the DG of NYSC swing into action
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Teebabami(m): 6:21am On Jul 06, 2019
I think your sister is either not interested in the Camp activities or trying to extort her parents to enjoy herself in camp. Am in this camp so I wondered where she got all these lies from
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Dantedasz(m): 8:24am On Jul 06, 2019
Ishilove:
My relative was posted to Edo state for the 2019 Batch B orientation course, and since the day she reported on camp, it has been one tale of extortion to the other.

She reported to the camp on Wednesday, June 19 and after scaling through the processes, was forced to cough up 5,000 naira for a medical certificate. She had gotten an official medical certificate of fitness from Isolo General Hospital which was signed and stamped on the hospital's letter headed paper by the examining doctor, but when she presented this certificate to the screening officials at camp, they rejected it saying it was 'fake'. How can it be fake when the doctor's name and the hospital's contact details are indicated, she argued. To paraphrase her, she was told to either get a 'genuine' certificate from their 'approved' clinic in Okada or fvck off. Having no other choice, she and a legion of prospective corp members went to this so called 'approved' clinic to process the certificate at the cost of 5,000 naira. Incidentally, this clinic is a private hospital. Her government issued certificate was rejected in favour of one issued by a privately owned kangaroo mushroom 'hospital'.

Now, the incident which incensed the entire nuclear and extended family and inspired this post happened yesterday. During a camp programme, some call up numbers were called in the hall and hers were among them. Afterwards, the hapless corp members whose numbers were called were unceremoniously bounced out of the hall and told to assemble at the camp coordinator's office.

At the office, the camp coordinator, hereafter called CC proceeded to ask her, quote, 'meaningless questions' before accusing her of deliberately refusing to pay "empowerment programme fee.' There is a skill empowerment/acquisition programme which was organised for the corp members on camp, and from my own understanding of how this based on experiences from my own service year, this programme is either voluntary or free of charge. The CC said the programme is for her own good and if she didn't pay, she will not be deployed to her PPA. He made this threat to the other corp members too. The supposed fee is 10,050 naira, to be paid in cash.

Now, unless the system has changed and corp members now have to pay for the programmes on camp (I doubt this though but I stand to be corrected). The mind boggles that NYSC officials are going to this length to extort money from these young people and you can just imagine how much they are making.

10,050 per corp member. Let us not forget the insidious shenanigans with the medical fitness certificate.

Do the math and the answer will illustrate if Nigeria can ever be free from corruption.

I would sincerely advise you to question your relative VERY well. It is obvious that she is lying against the NYSC and extorting her parents!
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by mechanics(m): 8:30am On Jul 06, 2019
She should take the case up and report to the DG's office.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 06, 2019
mechanics:
She should take the case up and report to the DG's office.

I don't believe the story. Even though the facilities are not in good condition but the camp officials are like father and mother.
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by Evangkatsoulis: 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2019
Chai! See casting!!
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by dasean1(m): 10:55pm On Jul 06, 2019
SoftP:
Ur write up,
I can't comprehend...

I think say na only me sha. lol
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by OiOi: 9:33am On Nov 06, 2019
Ishilove:

She reported to the camp on Wednesday, June 19 and after scaling through the processes, was forced to cough up 5,000 naira for a medical certificate. She had gotten an official medical certificate of fitness from Isolo General Hospital which was signed and stamped on the hospital's letter headed paper by the examining doctor, but when she presented this certificate to the screening officials at camp, they rejected it saying it was 'fake'.
At the office, the camp coordinator, hereafter called CC proceeded to ask her, quote, 'meaningless questions' before accusing her of deliberately refusing to pay "empowerment programme fee.' There is a skill empowerment/acquisition progr.

I was posted to Okada camp in 2016. We were not forced to pay for anything. In fact, sometimes when the SAED program was going on, some corpers will go back into their hostels.

I don't know how possible what you have said about the camp can be.
Althrough without no video or audio recording you can't back your narrative with facts.

Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by OiOi: 9:41am On Nov 06, 2019
Afamed:

Check Nysc website, there, you see the state by state Secretariat, besides it, you see the address and telephone of each state secretariat, you can report directly to them but please endeavor to verify your claims
probably maybe the girl in camp wanted to hustle people at home for some funds...

The camp coordinator will never try to involve himself in such
Re: Extortion In NYSC Orientaion Camp, Okada, Edo State by kashtanyi(m): 1:40am On Feb 04, 2020
Please if you are serving in Benin, kindly help me with your phone number...I want to ask for something and make some enquiries as well... Tks

NYSC 2016 Batch B Orientation Course Starts 24th November - 13th December, 2016 / NYSC Batch 14A POP Comes Up February 19th / New Directive In Force On Posting Of Corpers

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49