Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,147 members, 7,953,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:18 PM

Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament (1291 Views)

Do You Know The Only Thing That Got Jesus Angry In The Bible? / God Always Answer Me When I Pray For People Because I..... / Is God Always In Control? A Message From My Mentor Dr. Tunde Ariyibi Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 12:50pm On Jul 07, 2019
I mean I'm been honest here when I say the issue I have with the bible is how God is been portrayed in the old testament

God is loving God but will strike you down if you don't worship him..

The bible was written by men.. Any man or group of men can write a bible and claim it was the holy spirit that give them vision to write it

There are too many contradiction in the bible

1. God said thou shall not kill but He orders Israelites to attack and kill every man,woman and child of some of the kingdoms conquered by them

2. Zephaniah 2: 1-3 Talks about the wrath of God
While Psalms 103: 2-5 contradicts the wrath of God but talks about how very merciful God is

3. Book of Nahum 1:2-3, 6-7
This is a clear case of contradiction of the character of God in the old testament

MY THOUGHTS

I think no human can fully understand God..
God is like the Sun
On earth we feel the heat of the Sun but we can't touch the sun
The sun is too bright you can't stare it with naked eyes
The sun is so hot, you will melt from its radiation the second you come close to it

The way we see the sun from earth is entirely different from how astronauts see the sun outside space.

On earth the sun is just a ball of yellow light
In space the sun is gigantic ball of fire

On earth as humans we see God in our own earthly view.
The bible only described God from a mans humancentric point of view. We attributed human like qualities to God. But that is not the full picture of who and what God is.

Just like we see the sun from earths point of view which is a small yellow ball of light.. We could say that is the real shape of the sun.

Until we go to space outside of earths view then we see a very huge ball of fire and see the real true shape of the sun.
CONCLUSION
The bible is humans viewing God from a hMankindsrspective. But God is not human
God is not jealous
God can't be bribed with offering and gifts or money
God is way beyond what a human brain can phantom

God is like a high voltage and we humans are like a small lightbulb. The bulb can't carry high voltage it will explode.
So a transformer is needed to reduce the high voltage and make it easy for the light bulb to carry.
Same way humans can't understand God until it is broken down into our own human understanding.

This is why Jesus was sent . Jesus is the transformer that breaks down the high voltage (God) into human experience.

Jesus is a very clear example of the true nature of God.
Jesus mission on earth was to abolish the old teachings of old prophets like moses which all spoke about the wrath of God.
God had to send Jesus to come and destroy such old beliefs about him.

That is why the old testament is nothing but misunderstandings of the true nature of God.

Jesus fixed that in the new testament

By re defining who and what God is

God does not judge ( saving Adulterous woman from stonning which is symbolic of the law of Moses which signify the wrath of God)

God cares more about sinners repenting than punishing them ( marry Magdalene)

God does not need money ( flogging people at the temple)

God cares about the well-being of humanity ( healing of the sick and resurrection of dead and other miracles)

God is not interested in wealth and vanity things of the world ( Satan temptation, Jesus born in a manger, his father a carpenter, he drove on an ass on palm Sunday)

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 12:50pm On Jul 07, 2019
cc lalasticlala
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by harsysky(m): 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2019
God wasn't angry in the old testament. He was only following the covenant He had with humans then. Also, He was trying to show mankind that they can never be perfect because perfection comes with adhering to the instructions He, God, had given, and if a fraction out of 100% of the Law was not adhered to, He will come with the consequences as agreed with them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 1:37pm On Jul 07, 2019
harsysky:
God

Few edits were made, feel free to read again
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by ReturnOfLucifer: 1:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 5:09pm On Jul 07, 2019
harsysky:
God wasn't angry in the old testament. He was only following the covenant He had with humans then. Also, He was trying to show mankind that they can never be perfect because perfection comes with adhering to the instructions He, God, had given, and if a fraction out of 100% of the Law was not adhered to, He will come with the consequences as agreed with them.

This is wrong. In that sense you are saying God is changeable which contradicts the unchangeable God that He is..
Explain what covenant God had with humans then.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by harsysky(m): 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2019
SultanOfAbia:

This is wrong. In that sense you are saying God is changeable which contradicts the unchangeable God that He is..
Explain what covenant God had with humans then.

you don't get it, do you? God has never changed and will never change. From the old testament through to the new testament has always been an evidence to show how mankind can never be perfect the way God wanted. mankind chose it upon themselves when they demanded for the Law, and the Law was a mirror to show that we can never scale through on God's scale of perfection.

There was a verse in the new testament where the disciples had told Jesus to command fire from above to consume the people because of how they had treated them. Jesus rebuked them by saying that they do not know the spirit in Him which isn't the same as those of the old testament days as cited by the disciples.

furthermore, As soon as Adam and Eve left the garden of Eden, alot of things changed. In the course of bringing humanity back to the garden through Jesus blood, obedience to the Law was not easy as it has consequences for those not adhering to them. Now, through Christ Jesus, we now have a counselor, the HOLYSPIRIT, interceding on our behalf.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 9:10pm On Jul 07, 2019
harsysky:

you don't get it, do you? God has never changed and will never change. From the old testament through to the new testament has always been an evidence to show how mankind can never be perfect the way God wanted. mankind chose it upon themselves when they demanded for the Law, and the Law was a mirror to show that we can never scale through on God's scale of perfection.

There was a verse in the new testament where the disciples had told Jesus to command fire from above to consume the people because of how they had treated them. Jesus rebuked them by saying that they do not know the spirit in Him which isn't the same as those of the old testament days as cited by the disciples.

furthermore, As soon as Adam and Eve left the garden of Eden, alot of things changed. In the course of bringing humanity back to the garden through Jesus blood, obedience to the Law was not easy as it has consequences for those not adhering to them. Now, through Christ Jesus, we now have a counselor, the HOLYSPIRIT, interceding on our behalf.

We are on the same side, yours was worded differently
Learnt a few things

1 Like

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 8:46am On Jul 08, 2019
ReturnOfLucifer:
grin grin grin grin

Local Lucifer is laughing at his stupidity
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 08, 2019
Jesus mission on earth was to abolish the old teachings

Jesus didn't abolish the old laws rather he came to fulfill it. These where his exact words in the book of Matthew 5:17-18
Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfil For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished”

2 Likes

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by OkCornel(m): 4:07pm On Jul 08, 2019
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by OkCornel(m): 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2019
asuustrike1:

Jesus didn't abolish the old laws rather he came to fulfill it. These where his exact words in the book of Matthew 5:17-18
Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfil For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished

Has the law been fulfilled (accomplished)?

If yes, is the Law for those who are led of the Spirit?
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by harsysky(m): 10:12pm On Jul 08, 2019
asuustrike1:

Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfil For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished”

you are correct to some extent, but what do you think is the abolishment of the law, please? there are one thousand and one reasons why people have the misconception that Jesus came to abolish the law ;He actually came to fulfill it and that fulfillment has always been to confirm to mankind that without Him, no Man can adhere 100% fully to the Law.

without Jesus, no human can be perfect and it is that perfection God is actually looking forward to in all of mankind.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 2:14am On Jul 09, 2019
All the wraths in the OT doesnt come close to those in the book of revelations.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 2:36am On Jul 09, 2019
Its sheer stupidity to think the bible ever said "thou shall not kill"."thou shall not murder" are the correct words; and that means killing unlawfully(according to the bible of course).Of which most of its lawful killings such as death for picking firewoods on saturday and genocidal laws would be regarded as egregiously murderous by any non-psycho.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by 0temSapien: 2:49am On Jul 09, 2019
It's obvious the OP is not talking about God Almighty, the creator of Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Moloch, Chimides, Olorun, etc. Rather, it is talking about Yahweh, one of the insignificant fragment of what is called God. Therefore I cannot comment further. But I have this to say, the bible is not talking about God Almighty but about Yahweh who happen to be a god. The bible is even a fictitious book with very negligible fact, so one cannot trust it to tell you about God Almighty.

God Almighty is the Totality of Existence, Yahweh is just a microscopic part of that Existence and currently, Yahweh and thousands of past beings are currently held in their spiritual cage as the world continue to become liberated from religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 8:31am On Jul 09, 2019
0temSapien:
It's obvious the OP is not talking about God Almighty, the creator of Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Moloch, Chimides, Olorun, etc. Rather, it is talking about Yahweh, one of the insignificant fragment of what is called God. Therefore I cannot comment further. But I have this to say, the bible is not talking about God Almighty but about Yahweh who happen to be a god. The bible is even a fictitious book with very negligible fact, so one cannot trust it to tell you about God Almighty.

God Almighty is the Totality of Existence, Yahweh is just a microscopic part of that Existence and currently, Yahweh and thousands of past beings are currently held in their spiritual cage as the world continue to become liberated from religion.

Yahweh or YWH is an ALIEN who visited earth and was mistaken for a God by ancient Hebrews. Yahweh is an alien . Back then thousands of years ago there was plenty visitation of extraterrestrial beings into earth. To study humans and rule over them..
Aliens who visited earth where thought to be angels or Gods
This extraterrestrial beings started having sex with human females which created Super Hybrid Giants or Nephilem
These hybrids giants or nephilems brought havoc and destruction to mankind which resulted to the great deluge or the great flood which wiped them out of the earth
Back to my Point

One of these extraterrestrial beings was called YWH or Yahweh
Due to his extraterrestrial powers he exhibited, Hebrews mistook him for God.
YWH demanded worship and was a warrior like deity which explains a lot about the war like attributes the God of old testament had but its was YWH not God Almighty.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by OkCornel(m): 8:35am On Jul 09, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
I mean I'm been honest here when I say the issue I have with the bible is how God is been portrayed in the old testament

God is loving God but will strike you down if you don't worship him..

The bible was written by men.. Any man or group of men can write a bible and claim it was the holy spirit that give them vision to write it

There are too many contradiction in the bible

1. God said thou shall not kill but He orders Israelites to attack and kill every man,woman and child of some of the kingdoms conquered by them

2. Zephaniah 2: 1-3 Talks about the wrath of God
While Psalms 103: 2-5 contradicts the wrath of God but talks about how very merciful God is

3. Book of Nahum 1:2-3, 6-7
This is a clear case of contradiction of the character of God in the old testament

MY THOUGHTS

I think no human can fully understand God..
God is like the Sun
On earth we feel the heat of the Sun but we can't touch the sun
The sun is too bright you can't stare it with naked eyes
The sun is so hot, you will melt from its radiation the second you come close to it

The way we see the sun from earth is entirely different from how astronauts see the sun outside space.

On earth the sun is just a ball of yellow light
In space the sun is gigantic ball of fire

On earth as humans we see God in our own earthly view.
The bible only described God from a mans humancentric point of view. We attributed human like qualities to God. But that is not the full picture of who and what God is.

Just like we see the sun from earths point of view which is a small yellow ball of light.. We could say that is the real shape of the sun.

Until we go to space outside of earths view then we see a very huge ball of fire and see the real true shape of the sun.
CONCLUSION
The bible is humans viewing God from a hMankindsrspective. But God is not human
God is not jealous
God can't be bribed with offering and gifts or money
God is way beyond what a human brain can phantom

God is like a high voltage and we humans are like a small lightbulb. The bulb can't carry high voltage it will explode.
So a transformer is needed to reduce the high voltage and make it easy for the light bulb to carry.
Same way humans can't understand God until it is broken down into our own human understanding.

This is why Jesus was sent . Jesus is the transformer that breaks down the high voltage (God) into human experience.

Jesus is a very clear example of the true nature of God.
Jesus mission on earth was to abolish the old teachings of old prophets like moses which all spoke about the wrath of God.
God had to send Jesus to come and destroy such old beliefs about him.

That is why the old testament is nothing but misunderstandings of the true nature of God.

Jesus fixed that in the new testament

By re defining who and what God is

God does not judge ( saving Adulterous woman from stonning which is symbolic of the law of Moses which signify the wrath of God)

God cares more about sinners repenting than punishing them ( marry Magdalene)

God does not need money ( flogging people at the temple)

God cares about the well-being of humanity ( healing of the sick and resurrection of dead and other miracles)

God is not interested in wealth and vanity things of the world ( Satan temptation, Jesus born in a manger, his father a carpenter, he drove on an ass on palm Sunday)

Spot on!

You've hit the bull's-eye!

1 Like

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 10:04am On Jul 09, 2019
OkCornel:

Spot on!

You've hit the bull's-eye!

Thanks for understanding
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2019
SultanOfAbia:

Yahweh or YWH is an ALIEN who visited earth and was mistaken for a God by ancient Hebrews. Yahweh is an alien . Back then thousands of years ago there was plenty visitation of extraterrestrial beings into earth. To study humans and rule over them..
Aliens who visited earth where thought to be angels or Gods
This extraterrestrial beings started having sex with human females which created Super Hybrid Giants or Nephilem
These hybrids giants or nephilems brought havoc and destruction to mankind which resulted to the great deluge or the great flood which wiped them out of the earth
Back to my Point

One of these extraterrestrial beings was called YWH or Yahweh
Due to his extraterrestrial powers he exhibited, Hebrews mistook him for God.
YWH demanded worship and was a warrior like deity which explains a lot about the war like attributes the God of old testament had but its was YWH not God Almighty.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by SultanOfAbia: 4:18pm On Jul 10, 2019
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
World War II genocide is a learner compared to genocides perpetuated in the OT.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by tpiander: 6:27pm On Sep 06, 2019
Long epistle, might read later.

I guess he was just tired of mankind.
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by Kobojunkie: 10:14pm On May 13, 2023
harsysky:
■ God wasn't angry in the old testament. He was only following the covenant He had with humans then. Also, He was trying to show mankind that they can never be perfect because perfection comes with adhering to the instructions He, God, had given, and if a fraction out of 100% of the Law was not adhered to, He will come with the consequences as agreed with them.
I agree that God didn't agree but He wasn't doing any of what you claim either. undecided
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by sonmvayina(m): 10:35pm On May 13, 2023
Bible is an allegory..

God is a metaphor for conciouseness....

It is about raising our consciousness...

I could create a thread a teach the messages in it..

The battle/jihad is within....

For example, the Amalekites represent doubt...
You have to dispel all doubt about God within you...
The king's Abraham's slayed when he met Melchizedek on the road represents the seven deadly sins...

God showing Moses his back means we don't normally see God in our present life...but only when we look back and realise it was God all along...

It is quite interesting, but nobody is ready to know yet. We are all stock on belief...
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by correctguy101(m): 8:39am On May 14, 2023
sonmvayina:
Bible is an allegory..

God is a metaphor for conciouseness....

It is about raising our consciousness...

I could create a thread a teach the messages in it..

The battle/jihad is within....

For example, the Amalekites represent doubt...
You have to dispel all doubt about God within you...
The king's Abraham's slayed when he met Melchizedek on the road represents the seven deadly sins...

God showing Moses his back means we don't normally see God in our present life...but only when we look back and realise it was God all along...

It is quite interesting, but nobody is ready to know yet. We are all stock on belief...

Oya, open the thread quick.

Don't forget to mention this daddy o. I no dey joke with alternative idealogies..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by Depsui(m): 9:35am On May 14, 2023
Because, it was a different covenant
Re: Why Is God Always Angry In The Old Testament by Drrnie(m): 12:19pm On May 14, 2023
correctguy101:

Oya, open the thread quick.

Don't forget to mention this daddy o. I no dey joke with alternative idealogies..

Bro mention me also if he does it abeg

(1) (Reply)

Please Dont Watch Bad Romance By Lady Gaga At Night / Luis Palau: New Pope Francis A Friend Of Evangelicals - Deception / Nigeria’s Top 5 Richest Pastors And How Much They Are Worth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.