Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,249 members, 7,818,858 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (108709 Views)

My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by marocguy(m): 8:08pm On Oct 11, 2010
even my lambourghini sef get dat wahala, but trust me,always refill n refill n refill n u'll keep movn cos movn is d most important thang.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 11, 2010
marocguy:

[b]even my lambourghini sef [/b]get dat wahala, but trust me,always refill n refill n refill n u'll keep movn cos movn is d most important thang.
sure grin
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by pannyman(m): 9:08pm On Oct 11, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I might have finally found the cause of the problem. It appears to be the radiator after all! I drove to the main spare parts street of Port Harcourt called Ikoku and had a spare parts dealer I know there take a look under the bonnet and in less than a minute he discovered a wet trail from the radiator! We might just have made a breakthrough. He assured me that the leak can be fixed, so I will be going back there tomorrow so this guy can link me up with a mechanic who can patch it up.I guess I did not look closely enough to spot the leakage before. Hope all goes well tomorrow and a patch up is all that is required. Thank you Nairalanders for your support. I'll keep you posted.  smiley

1 Like

Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by asunaobi(m): 2:58am On Oct 12, 2010
Tell your mechanic to replace your radiator thermostat. Sounds like it is playing up and your engine is heating up above necessary. Always the case, if you cant spot where the water is leaking from.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Ranoscky(m): 5:03am On Oct 12, 2010
pannyman:

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I might have finally found the cause of the problem. It appears to be the radiator after all! I drove to the main spare parts street of Port Harcourt called Ikoku and had a spare parts dealer I know there take a look under the bonnet and in less than a minute he discovered a wet trail from the radiator! We might just have made a breakthrough. He assured me that the leak can be fixed, so I will be going back there tomorrow so this guy can link me up with a mechanic who can patch it up.I guess I did not look closely enough to spot the leakage before. Hope all goes well tomorrow and a patch up is all that is required. Thank you Nairalanders for your support. I'll keep you posted. smiley

Radiator alas !!!
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by latepa(m): 7:22am On Oct 12, 2010
My friend throw away that car for peace sake!
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by sley4life(m): 7:25am On Oct 12, 2010
There is hidden leakage somwhere.when the car is on motion that is when it is visible.the leakage is not goin to d engine bc it wud show from the engine oil.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by pannyman(m): 7:35am On Oct 12, 2010
@ latepa, do you know what you are talking about?
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by kellylil11: 9:04am On Oct 12, 2010
latest cheat for browsing only available for etisalite and mtn.call me at 08095908310
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by SHINATOB: 10:33am On Oct 12, 2010
I once had the same type of problem and after checking all probable causes, it was later discovered that the water pump leakage was the real cause. Since my mech changed the water pump, it has never recur again. you can check your water pump for possible leakage.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Nnaboys: 11:15am On Oct 12, 2010
latepa:

My friend throw away that car for peace sake!
That is the truth. You should be ashamed of saying it. Please, sell it before it embarrasses you. Thanks with due respect.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by kuntash: 11:21am On Oct 12, 2010
Nna boys:

That is the truth. You should be ashamed of saying it. Please, sell it before it embarrasses you. Thanks with due respect. 

which kind people be dis? ,  throw away the car for what reason?,  shay because u never see or hear when 2010 Land rover SUV, or Toyota landcruiser or even 2011 Honda Accord throway person and im family for xpress road before?,    whats d definition of embarrassment? , 

or he should throw off the car and buy that made in Nigeria or what?  or its needless visiting a mechanic when a car develops a problem?,     

,  cant really comprehend this,
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Ranoscky(m): 12:41pm On Oct 12, 2010
^
My broda, i also saw it and walked over as if i'v not yet signed in to NL.

What an embarassin statement !!! undecided
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 12, 2010
"Failure to replace the radiator ASAP would resort to damaged valves and head. Radiators tend to last about 150,000 kilos. Phosphate scale and leaking seams cut their life short". This is very scientifically intelligent!
Nice to know that some genius domicile in these 'land
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by chines4(m): 2:46pm On Oct 12, 2010
hat is the truth. You should be ashamed of saying it. Please, sell it before it embarrasses you. Thanks with due respect.

Nna Boys pls tell me how may cars you have sold for embarrassing you?. Beside with this melt down where is the fund for another care. Or Are you from Aba (The Kidnappers that have ransom cash) grin grin
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Zair: 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2010
Bros, i have exactly similar problem, i was told to replace radiator which idid and has not solve the problem. i was also advise to change the radiator cap which infact i changed up four times still the problem persist. i latter change to another mechanic he told me is water pump, i agued it with him but he was able to conviced me and i went ahead to replace the WATER PUMP and that solve my problem. P
please go for water pump only.
i wish u well and hope it will solve the problem
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by pannyman(m): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2010
I have taken the car to have the radiator checked. It was removed no leak was found. Obviously the "leak" we thought we had seen was a false clue. The radiator is ok. It was washed and reinstalled. I will observe it for a day or two before I take it to a mechanic. The problem might just be the water pump.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by FADAKA: 3:25am On Oct 13, 2010
@ehie007,, Your case seems very simple about your 2003 KIA Rio.
You need your mechanic to check your A/C fan this maybe the reason why u experience HOT TEMP.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by dgb4(m): 10:22am On Oct 13, 2010
Am so happy at your responses so far

I got a camry 1999. I top water about every 3-4 days measuring abt 1-2 glasses of water.
the car has never been overheated or had over-risen temperature, so i wonder where the water leakage comes from because no trace was found.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by rollyfemmy: 12:13pm On Oct 13, 2010
I think your radiator is dirty, only few people know about this. what u'll do is to go to a standard car wash, let them assist you to wash the dirts out of the radiator. Your problem will be over. the dirts in the radiator is caused by dust particules the cars encounters daily. It has blocked some vital part thereby hindering the Fan from blowing it well. So go to a car wash preferably a filling station. Let them use hot steam to wash it for u. Good luck. You can get back to me later.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by rollyfemmy: 12:22pm On Oct 13, 2010
@pannyman Pls Go and check ur gasket. i think it's not functioning well any longer. or ur radiator need need to be washed if there is no leakage etc. But jst knw that the car's problem is between the radiator and the gasket. Best of luck.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Idrico(m): 2:33pm On Oct 13, 2010
I drive 1996 camry,the car goes off when i am always in traffic,what could be the cause.expert advice needed please
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by fm7070: 7:26pm On Oct 13, 2010
What a nice topic, even the experienced ones are learning from it.
My advice to everyone using a car is that you should be observant and inquisitive when mechanics are working on your car. Ask questions, this will save you a lot.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by namski(m): 11:21pm On Oct 15, 2010
The car is just thirsty. Just administer more water. You may consider converting the back seat into a water tank, that way you may never have to top it up regularly. lol!!!

Idrico:

I drive 1996 Camry,the car goes off when i am always in traffic,what could be the cause.expert advice needed please

My guess is that your exhaust gas re-circulation valve is blocked and needs changing (Cleaning the EGR valve works, but can only serve as a temporary solution). Whilst not sure of the exact technology used in your '96 Camry, there is a tendency that the EGR would have failed. A few things you might check:-
1. what is the idling rpm of your car now? ( It should normally idle between 500-900rpm)
2. is the check engine warning light on?

You can search google for EGR problems on '96 Camry and see what other owners describe as the symptoms - that may help guide you better.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by pannyman(m): 9:21am On Oct 17, 2010
It was the radiator after all. I had it replaced and all is now normal. No more disappearing water. Thanks guys.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Jagermeister(m): 7:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
Siena: People are telling Pannyman to replace the radiator, when there's no sign of a leak. Why? If it's losing coolant that fast, it would be visible. Trial and error fitting of parts is expensive, and should not be encouraged.

I too think it's leaking into the engine, which would indicate a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head.

Modern cars have sealed cooling systems, you should not have to top up your coolant between services. My coolant has been in my car for 11 months, and hasn't dropped. I'd advice a sniffer test is carried out, to check for the presence of hydro carbons in the coolant, and a leak-down test should follow. Your mechanic should know what that means.

Let's know how you get on, and best of luck.
Thanks Siena, u're a true car guru...even b4 I started reading comments & suggestions, the second I saw the topic I knew this guy was contending with a blown top-cylinder gasket! See dem screaming radiator aloud when there's every likelohood that the water/coolant is leaking into the engine, also I shld stress that u should never top coolants in-between services jst as Siena said, speaking from experience..I did & it resulted in a cylinder-gasket replacement,this was very recent...@ OP, have ur mech check that & replace ur engine oil! Capeesh!
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by kingschild123(m): 10:00pm On Oct 29, 2013
Instead of all the guessing just pressure
test the cooling system. This will locate
the exact place the water is leaking. At
the same time pressure test the radiator
cap. A bad cap will lose coolant at a
rapid rate also. The test is inexpensive
and only takes about 15 min. Good
luck.
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by erico2k2(m): 7:21am On Oct 30, 2013
Ah U guys should read the whole post b4 commenting nah,the Op clearly stated that the problem is fixed,the culprit was the leaking radiator.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
You have to confirm if your car is mama-iwater (mermaid) or papa-iwater (perpaid). :p:p
Re: My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate by azpekuliar: 4:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
kingschild123:
Instead of all the guessing just pressure
test the cooling system. This will locate
the exact place the water is leaking. At
the same time pressure test the radiator
cap. A bad cap will lose coolant at a
rapid rate also. The test is inexpensive
and only takes about 15 min. Good
luck.

Can you recommend an auto shop where I can get this done? 2013 Kia Rio.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / 2020 Mercedes Benz AVTR Unveiled: Breaks Car Record With Its Looks / Benefits Of Using Coolants Versus Water In Car Radiators.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.