Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? (400 Views)

See This Fine Mansion Lagos Is Demolishing With "2 Days" Notice / How You Can Get Ride Of Quit Notice From Your Landlord / How Long Should He Stay On Expiration Of Quit Notice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by inikamoze(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2019
To the Estate Legal luminaries in the house your advice is needed.
I rented this 3-bedroom apartment, a Jakande Low Cost housing scheme since 2007 for my family (Mum and siblings) to be living in and have been on a yearly rent. Rent expires May every year and I pay duly by June, I have never defaulted in the payment of the rent since they occupied the place. Early this year, February to be precise, my agent called me to tell me that the landlady wants to sell the apartment if I would be interested in purchasing the place. When I first moved in, I had approached the agent in charge then that I would like to buy the flat if the owner would sell, but he said the owner does not sell her apartments.
So when the new agent told me the landlady’s new intention, I told him I was low on cash this period, had other projects that was really taking the bulk of my income., he said ‘Ok’ and that other agents would be coming to check out the apartment, which I replied ‘No Problem’. Since then various people have been coming to check the flat, at a time, my mother got enraged and told the agent she wasn’t happy with having strangers in her home all the time, and that the next time they should stay outside and check out the apartment, I told her it was Ok, that she should just bear it. Yesterday the agent called and said some people would be coming to check out the flat, they came and met me there, so they said the prospective buyer would want to pay for a vacant property, which made the agent to ask me how soon can I move out? I replied him, since they haven’t issued us a Notice of Quit, they should allow us 6months to get another place, but he refused saying its 3months he can allow, and that he could even write me a quit notice asking me to vacate in 7days, which I find preposterous for a yearly tenant.
Now my question is this:
1. is it LEGAL to issue a 7-day Notice of Quit to a yearly tenant?
2. Am I not on the right side asking for a 6-month period to seek another apartment?
3. Since a Notice of Quit wasn’t served to me when I was told they wanted to sell in February neither did they when my rent expired this year May, do they have the legality to issue a 7days notice or give a 3months grace?
I wanted to call their bluff and wait out the 6months I have intentionally but for peace sake and wanting to know if my rights is not being trampled upon I decided to seek the advice of the tenancy laws luminaries who would know better.
Please help a brother out. Thank you
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by kunleweb: 5:25pm On Jul 09, 2019
Wow
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by Abudu2000(m): 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2019
Lagos wahala, awon werey agents it's a minimum of 6months if it gets to court, tell the fool to do his worst and threaten him with the law.
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2019
Law says 6 months
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by nysot(f): 6:31pm On Jul 09, 2019
@ inikamoze, they can issue you a 7days notice to quit provided the agreement you signed when moving in stated fixed term or a year CERTAIN. This can be issued once your rent expires and you don't renew.

I am not a lawyer but I manage properties and that's what entails if that shows in the agreement between you two.
Thanks
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by inikamoze(m): 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2019
nysot:
@ inikamoze, they can issue you a 7days notice to quit provided the agreement you signed when moving in stated fixed term or a year CERTAIN. This can be issued once your rent expires and you don't renew.

I am not a lawyer but I manage properties and that's what entails if that shows in the agreement between you two.
Thanks

There was no tenement agreement between us, the first agent that was in charge only issued a receipt after I rented the place in 2007, so when this new agency took over a few years ago, they only sent a letter of notification stating them as the new agents for the property, they didn't issue a tenement agreement either. So is this suffice to say that without it they can't put the 7days to effect?
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by nysot(f): 8:13pm On Jul 09, 2019
inikamoze:

There was no tenement agreement between us

If that's the case,you are good bro,but on the hand if you have the means just get a new place and avoid all unnecessary wahala..They may not want to go through the legal way since they know there's no agreement binding you guys.

At times,these things can be frustrating and would get tired yourself
Re: Can A 7 Days Notice Of Quit Be Issued To A Yearly Rent Tenant?? by inikamoze(m): 8:47pm On Jul 09, 2019
nysot:

If that's the case,you are good bro,but on the hand if you have the means just get a new place and avoid all unnecessary wahala..They may not want to go through the legal way since they know there's no agreement binding you guys.

At times,these things can be frustrating and would get tired yourself

That was why I asked them for 6 months so I could have ample time to get a suitable place for my family, but the agent was just being overzealous because of the commission he would make from the sales and was threatening 7 days which I laughed at. Anyways me too no like wahala as my energy na to hustle money not to use make trouble.

Thanks for your advice, I really really appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

Available And Affordable Luxury Apartment At Lekki Lagos / 2bedroom Flat Apartment For Rent At Nice Estate Songo Ota / Affordable Land Sale For 150k Farm Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.